Prairie St. John's Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  FargoApril 26, 2019
Management is horrible.I love my Job at praire st John but management is really bad.They don't care about there staff.The atmosphere is not good .Too much gossip .
Gained experience
Psychiatric Technician, Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 5, 2019
No comment. It was a great way to gain experience working with multiple populations and individuals' unique barriers and needs. Employment there was a vital piece to having a holistic view in my scope of practice overall.
Much learning opportunities
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 9, 2019
Lots of learning opportunities here. Variety of age groups to work with and help. Great team environment. Opportunity to learn many communication skills.
Good experience
PSYCHIATRIC NURSE (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 16, 2019
Good experience but work culture needs improvment because the people that have been there for years don't feel that they need to grow. Managment could be stronger.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Old building
Not a Long term place to work
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 26, 2018
I wanted to be a PSJ lifer as I strongly believe in the services offered there and enjoyed working at the levels of care it offered. Unfortunately, the pace and workload coupled with lack of support from admin leads quickly to burnout. There is no electronic health record, so documentation is excessive as is the time that goes into writing and filing notes for every contact you make. Additionally, there is a ridiculous amount of redundant paperwork between RNs, therapists, and physicians which frustrates both patients and staff.

Admin seems more interested in reducing costs and making corporate happy rather than truly supporting their workers. The benefits are poor given there are no preferred providers in the area since PSJ is the only UHS facility around. There is poor recognition of employees' need for work/life balance here, which is one of many reasons for very high turnover of staff. While I am grateful for the clinical experiences here, it is definitely not set up nor supported to be a long term workplace for therapists/counselors.
Pros
Free supervision, free soda/coffee/tea, easy accumulation of hours for associate level practitioners, some flexibility in scheduling one's day
Cons
Frequently working in crisis mode, poor support, low recognition for contributions, poorly structured teams/roles, old building, no electronic health records (paper charts), excessive paperwork
Not a healthy environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  North DakotaOctober 25, 2018
for employees or patients. avoid at all costs. Management is poor, treatment of patients often suffers due to laziness and lack of motivation. Staff are overworked and mandated too often
Not a great place
Psych Tech (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 26, 2018
Management expects to much out of their employees, and they're not willing to help or put in the part themselves. Constant mandates drove people to quit and nothing was ever done to fix this because people would keep leaving because of the constant mandates.
Pros
Techs and nurses are great
Cons
Poor management
High stress, never enough time to properly do the job required
Registered Nurse - Psychiatric (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 10, 2018
From the time you step into the nurses station, it is typically chaotic. There really is never enough time to finish all of the documentation and observation that is required. I love psych, therefore, I enjoyed the job most of the time, but the culture is not very good and it is a constant struggle to keep employees. This is one of the reasons many employees are being mandated to stay daily. There is no form of security and often patients become escalated, whether it be because they are mentally ill or detoxing from drugs such as meth, but many staff members are put in danger and many have been injured by patients. Strongly would encourage management to get security back into this facility.
Pros
If you enjoy working with psych patients, this is the job for you!
Cons
Very stressful work environment
This place is toxic!!!!
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 13, 2018
The staff are extremely unsupportive to each other. They will smile in your face and stab you in the back. This environment is so toxic between staff.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, deplorable job training, Toxic work environment, unsafe medical practices, pt care is last on their minds.
Difficult Job, Difficult Patients, Difficult Management
Registered Nurse / PRN House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 21, 2018
Mental health staff are amazing, giving, and sacrificing. Management preys on this and forces people to work in unsafe situations and for hours well beyond their shifts. Great place to help others, but don't feel you are being helped beyond your direct co-workers.
Lots of ups and downs
PSYCHIATRIC TECHNICIAN/CNA (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 20, 2018
I absolutely love mental health and the patients that I work with. The difficulty lies in the management and their care and concern for their staff and patients. Basically management there sucks. The work is difficult but rewarding. Definitely takes a special person to work in mental health.
Review
RN (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 25, 2018
I enjoyed my job. The team was very effective, the resident were pleasant. Management was very effective in communication and planing activities. The pay was awesome
Sensitive work environment
Phsycatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 20, 2018
This work environment is fill with togetherness; everyone working for one goal in the interest of the patients. Keeping the environment safe and working with all culture from diverse background.
Not recommended
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 12, 2018
Patients are treated terribly and so are workers. Scheduling is awful, I had multiple people say they weren't paid correctly for OT. They did everything they could to avoid me/compensating me after I was injured. Working on the pediatric floor was horrible. The large majority of employees, especially nurses, do not actually care about the patients.
Pros
Once in awhile you would see a patient improve
Cons
Terrible culture
Inappropriate Treatment
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 18, 2018
This hospital was poorly staffed which caused the patients to suffer. It also put me in danger physically due to this. The staff made fun of patients and seemed to lack empathy. I was actively encouraged by superiors not to speak with patients who were left with no one to speak with during times of distress.
Management is more cliquey than high school
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 8, 2017
Do not work here the management is awful. There is no structure and they could care less about the patients and their staff but instead focus on all corporate
Tech then RN - great experience
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 27, 2017
I started working at Prairie St. John's and then advanced to being an RN once I graduated from nursing school. It can be a great place to work if you have the right attitude and don't mind working hard. The patient population can be very difficult because of their behaviors/disorders but if live in Fargo and want to work in psych then PSJ is the place to be. Upper management is open to feedback and trying to improve the overall culture of the hospital. Still a little too much in-fighting in nursing but significantly better than it used to be. I would have been happy to stay if I hadn't needed to relocate for family reasons.
Pros
great co-workers, solid management, caring organization, strong salary/benefits
Cons
hard work, few bad apples can spoil a day
Do not work here
RN (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 11, 2017
They don't care. They are pressured from their corporate headquarters and the whole leadership team is FAKE. They lie right to your face telling you everything here is fine. Nursing is a total disaster. The facility runs on a shoestring, it is a mess. Move on, dont go to any UHS facility they are all profit driven, don't believe their BS. Prairie St Johns is a complete disaster, many of us traveler's bailed early on this place. AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah... don't work here
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 17, 2017
Very unsafe. No security, understaffed. Horrible management. The fact that this place calls itself a hospital is a joke. It's like a jail but less safe as patients can and do whatever they want without consequence. Place needs to be shut down.
Fast-paced work enviroment
Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 13, 2017
Managed staffing all areas of the hospital that required patient care. Worked well the Nurse Managers, House Charges and DON. I learned many different aspects as a staffing coordinator in how to handle employee situations such as PTO, Holidays and Sick Calls/Call-in's.
Pros
Being able to find different ways to keep areas in my position organized
Cons
rearranging staffing on short notice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Prairie St. John's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7