Prairie State College Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Pleasant work environment
Research and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
I enjoyed work the positive atmosphere and team work. I learned quite a bit when it came to contracts and dealing with State Funds. Prairie State College is a great place to work and meet a diverse group of people.
Excited to help customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 11, 2018
Lack of supervision allowing clerks to ignore rules of the security of giving out checks to the right person. Clerks sit at their desk with window close so they don't have to help anyone and let the line get very long. Hard to get on the platform to get print outs to give to customers.
Pros
enjoyed working there.
Cons
Hard to climb on platform to get print out and clerks refuse to hand them to me.
Environment Friendly and Determined to Help
STEM Math Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 9, 2018
I have been attending Prairie State College since 2015, and the teachers there are determined to help achieve your success when you cooperate with them to help you.

The attitude that the individual has coming into the college has a big impact on how their view of the institution will be.

The environment in the workplace is very friendly. Students along with the faculty give a pleasant, friendly atmosphere.
Very supportive and welcoming environment
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILApril 23, 2018
I could not ask for a better place to work part time as an adjunct professor. My peers have always been supportive and helpful. The student body is diverse and hardworking. The class sizes are very manageable with no more than 24 in a class (science lab).
Enjoy working with people
Chicago Heights - Lab assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILApril 16, 2018
I like to help people. When a student needs help with something then I look forward to helping them and figuring out the problem. The management is excellent. The hardest part of the job is lifting heavy objects to move them otherwise my job is easy and enjoyable.
Pros
Working on computers
Cons
Not enough hours to work
Supportive Dean and Admin Staff
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMarch 15, 2018
Only working part-time before leaving the job. The dean, colleagues and staff are all supportive and willing to let the lecturer explore his/her full potential.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2018
This was a good place to work if you were a full time professor. Adjuncts were not given a lot of time and it could be difficult going in for one or two classes. Great staff to work with .
Productive and well balanced
Veteran Coordinator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILNovember 29, 2017
I enjoyed working here because the hours were flexible for me to go to school, I just need more hours after school. Everyday I was able to meet new people and help them with their situations to go to school. My supervisor and I had a good work relationship. The job was laid back and busy at the same time. I do not want to leave, but I would like to be full time instead of part time. I now have the time to work full days and I wanted to do more for this location.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits
fun workplace
Student Worker (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 27, 2017
I got extra help because I worked for the faculty department. I had to keep track of the supplies the professors needed for their courses. They trusted me.
Pros
free tutoring from professors
Cons
didn't get to work late hours
Job Advancement
Administrative Assistant -Facilities & Operations (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, IL 60411October 29, 2017
There is not a lot of opportunities for job advancement and pay increases. I am in the Illinois Support Staff Teachers Union and that does hold back my pay increase that are set forth by the union.
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
Pay increases

Want to know more about Prairie State College?

Ask a question
Worst experience in my life.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILOctober 6, 2017
Where shall I start! I have never worked at a place as awful, Management is the worst of the worst. The Union is a joke and sides with management. Look for another job. Not worth your time and aggravation.
Low pay
LIBRARY CIRCULATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILSeptember 15, 2017
Low pay. Little career advancement. Convenient location. Free parking. Bus route. Cafeteria closed. Fast food options. Food truck options. Vending machines.
Nice place
Co-President (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILAugust 11, 2017
This job does not pay really well, but the other benefits outweigh it. Your work week is manageable, your time off is decent.. No one calls you to come in to work on your day off. No weekends. Fridays off in the summer. Not sure why I left this place. Oh wait, the $$
Awesome atmosphere for learning
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 30, 2017
Ever since I attended Prairie State College, it has been an awesome journey for myself. Getting to learn so many new things has definitely been a privilege for me.
Fun Place to work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 30, 2017
This a very fun place to work however the hours are not very good. I worked around 9 hours a week, and was payed 8.50 an hour. Other than that, i loved what i did and enjoyed the job.
Pros
Fun Place to work
Cons
doesn't pay the bills
Productive and fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 19, 2017
Great place to learn and grow as a professional. Everyone in this community college is very supportive and understanding of their employees needs, and they do all they can make you feel welcomed. Love and miss this place dearly.
Prairie State is a great School and a good employer.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMarch 31, 2017
A typical day day at work involves answering phones and completing projects. I've learned basic office funtions like how to use excel and and file things properly. The manager are fair and very kind. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people better themselves by furthering their education.
Very quite environment with many learning opportunities.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMarch 14, 2017
A typical work day is slow but you never get bored. I learned many office skills at this job and the office was very flexible with my school schedule, considering my job was at my school.
Pros
Flexible scheduling.
Cons
Long days.
Great learning and working environment
Substitute Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, IL 60411November 14, 2016
PSC was a great place for me to grow and develop my teaching skills. I learned how to multitask in the classroom and help each child in my care to developing their own personal strengths.
Pros
Staff and work environment
Cons
Upper management
At work
Microcomputer Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2016
Old fashion way of doing things. Change with the times. People have to understand that technology makes job less stressful. Recommend a testing environment for IT.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Old fashion ways