Pratt & Whitney Employee Reviews

Great learning experience, but...If you're part of the "club" and have no life outside of work it's for you
Project Engineer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  CTFebruary 10, 2018
You can gain a vast wealth of experience in an incredibly short time, but at a price. Five years of experience at any other place would occur in a year here. The product is incredibly fascinating. Initial pay is good, but good raises come to those with the 60+ hour weeks and no OT pay. Just as you start to get knowledgeable at a position, you're moved to another "hot" position. The work flows to capable hands and the pace is fast! Promotions internally tend go to minorities/women or people in the "club". Your better path is to leave, get cross pollination experience, and then return at a higher position. I gained significant knowledge as an engineer, and as a manager, that I took with me in life. But the high stress environment takes a toll on you and your family. Layoffs are always happening somewhere in the company, so don't miss a beat. Very few people survive to reach retirement age. I left to start my own successful business. This company did make an effort to treat the customer ethically, and do the right thing for the flying public, and I found that a strong positive. I carry forward that same philosophy in my own business.
Pros
You'll never get bored if you're not afraid to work
Cons
long term careers can be tough to achieve
Good company to work for
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAFebruary 9, 2018
My job at Pratt&Whitney was an enjoyable experince, because i was given the opportunity to learn the various airplane parts and the different airplane that we was working on.
Pros
They had flexible hourw
Cons
you had a limited amount of time to learn diffient part
This company invests in and values their employees like no other.
Quality Review Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North Berwick, MEFebruary 8, 2018
PW is the best company I ever worked for. I hope to return some day because the pay was good and the company invests endless hours of time and money to educate their employees with formal training from technical professionals and local colleges.
If you are new it may take a while before you can fully fledge and perform work on your own without direct supervision. But don't be discouraged, things happen slowly for a reason, as safety and quality are among the highest values. This company is very dynamic and utilizes the most cutting edge technology.
Family oriented culture. The most enjoyable part was simply working in a company with a long and important history in military and commercial aviation contracts. Walking through an engine center every day is like visiting a museum of modern manufacturing. So much to see and learn with friendly and smart coworkers who are proud and knowledgeable of their work.
I only left for personal / travel reasons. When the time is right, I hope there will be an opportunity where I can apply my skills and be a part of their culture again.
Pros
Work Envrionment, Education, Culture, Good 401k, Healthcare with $0 premium option but high deductible great for young folks. Vision care, Ppe
Cons
Healthcare which is about average for the industry, the only place to find better rates would be in the public sector.
Good place to work and it was a clean atmosphere
Inspector (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTFebruary 3, 2018
It's a repetitive work atmosphere. I was looking for more of a challenge type job. If you like the constant everyday work style it's a good job. I would recommend the job to a friend.
Pros
Good work place great benefits
Cons
Very helpful, but job culture was very poor
Warranty/Extended Service Plan Claims Intern (Former Employee) –  Norton Shores, MIFebruary 1, 2018
I did like how they taught me, and made me feel like one of them. However, I worked in a department that was catty and would gossip about me when I was sitting right next to them. They would also go to my boss and tell him that I wasn't doing my job and would continually tell him that he should fire me. Maybe a different department would be a different experience.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Gossip
Good employer with a diverse group of people to work with
Structures Integration Lead (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 1, 2018
This was a great working opportunity. This was a contract position, so I worked at home. A typical day was constantly checking email, attending various meetings, writing engineering coordination memos. Since I didn't have access to all PW applications at home, I sometimes had to drive the Belcan office to access these applications.

I learned a lot about technical writing, the nuances of working with people in other countries, and a lot about exporting sensitive data.

The hardest part of the job was working from home and not always having quick access to answers when questions arose.

The most enjoyable aspect was learning an entirely new skill set.
fast paced
FAR 145 Repair Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2018
may come in one day and be deployed out of the country on the same day. Fast paced, high stressed at times. Always need to adapt to constant changes. Management sometimes backed you up. Traveling was the best part of the job
Very difficult culture to innovate
Principal Consultant IT Systems Development (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAJanuary 31, 2018
I started as a Pro/Engineer consultant/expert supporting more than 500 engineers and designer on network of Sun Unix Workstations. I was responsible for resolution and recommendations for solving various technical and design issues including ePDM.

I was instrumental on migration from UNIX workstations to Wintel platform both on setting engineering applications and hardware and software related issues.

Moved into a IT architectural position, tried to introduce Cloud and Virtualization technologies to the enterprise in 2009 but opponents that did not understand the concepts delayed and eventually stop implementation after layoff.

Management was slow to technological change, difficult to embrace changes in paradigms.

Hardest part of the job was to leave without finishing a very innovative and challenging project.

Most enjoyable part of the job was to work with very smart people from PHD to CAD drafting users and being able to resolve their technical and sometimes no so technical problems.
Pros
Very flexible work arrangements and telecommuting.
Cons
Reluctance of middle management to innovate out of their comfort zone
Fast paced environment
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 30, 2018
I work in a fast paced environment where I use my skills as a problem solver to support production and manufacturing and ensure the flow of production runs smoothly.
Performed Quality Assurance duties
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTJanuary 30, 2018
Performed inspection of first and final stage vanes for commercial planes.
Responsible for overseeing that parts met quality standards during production phase.
Performed inspection of blades for commercial planes during fluorescent penetrate stage.
Responsible for ensuring parts were dispatched in a timely manner to meet customers demands.
Productive workplace with friendly colleagues
F119 Hardware CSE Intern (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJanuary 30, 2018
Collaborative workplace allows for easy transition if new to a job

Lots of freedom in the workplace as long as the work is being done; able to work as you wish to complete your task
Not Good
Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Contract, Laid Off at any moment. management hash and demanding. Threaten you with being laid-off at any time. No Job security. Shifted from department to another at anytime.
Interesting dynamic
Manager (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJanuary 25, 2018
PW is an interesting place. Management talks about wanting to reduce bureaucracy but when ideas are presented they go nowhere. Unless you are connected to the right people career advancement is nil. Repeatedly reminded that mischarging of time is a terminable offense yet the timekeeping system will not allow you to enter more than 40 hours of work a week so by definition every employee that works more than 40 hours a week that is a direct charge is discharging, yet when brought up multiple times I was told you are salary just enter your 40 hours. Many in the group I was in had fragile psyches and egos that required constant reaffirmation.
Pay and benefits are fairly above average so they have that going for them but all in all a 2 to 3 year stop here is about as career enhancing as it gets. This is a shame because the products being produced are second to none.
Pros
Paycheck twice a month, employee scholar program
Cons
Management that has issues empowering down
wish it was permanent
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAJanuary 23, 2018
I really liked working here, but my contract was discontinued due to me not picking it up fast enough. if i have any complaints its the training isn't as good as they think it is, and i got blamed for things the EDMs did that wasn't my fault
Pros
easy atmosphere, interesting work
Cons
needs better training program, better culture that likes temps
Summer Intern
INROADS Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJanuary 16, 2018
This was a summer internship. I worked on the shop floor with an assembly line supervisor. Was a good experience and would recommend this company as a good place to work.
Excellent
System Vehicle Lead (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLJanuary 14, 2018
Excellent. This is an incredible work environment. From the benefits, to the primary objective of the company, to the great individuals working alongside me, I don't have a complaint.
excellent
Manager, Program Financial Services (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 14, 2018
excellent, great company, nothing to complain about. I had just started so I don't have enough time invested to be able to make a full fair determination
Excellent work environment
Protective Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CTJanuary 14, 2018
Excellent training options and benefits. Ability to work in a varied atmosphere. No two days alike. Salary upgrades available and linked to gaining new skills.
Pros
Family like work environment
Cons
Spent a lot of time at work due to lack of personnell
great company to work for
Scientific Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJanuary 11, 2018
great company and opportunities. good salary and benefits. State of the art technology. Advancement opportunities and good work environment. Professional development available to employees.
Productive, challenging, great opportunities
Lean Process Manager (ACE) (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJanuary 10, 2018
Your success depends are how well you proform. Each day presents an opportunity to achieve excellence. The culture is structured (Engineering), customer focused on excellence, team orientated and demanding. Management allows daily, short term decision making to flow upward providing results meet established goals. Best part of the jobs is knowing you made a difference. Worst part is always being aware of the union requirements.
Pros
Education assistance, 401K, salary, job opportunties
Cons
No pay for extended hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pratt & Whitney. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight