PRECISION STRIP Employee Reviews

Horrible work / life balance
Material Handler / Crane Op (Former Employee) –  Talladega, ALFebruary 21, 2018
Expect to work 50-72 hours per week. I worked as a crane operator at the Talladega location and management turnover is an issue, as well as favoritism, inconsistency, and lack of support. As a crane operator expect to walk 12 miles a day on average on concrete that is covered in oil while wearing metatarsal boots. You're main job is moving steel and aluminum coils weighing 3000 lbs - 75000 lbs around the building. Crane operating is largely a solo job, while packaging techs work on a line with 4-7 people. You are subject to the music they play unless you bring a bigger, more powerful, system. Loading and unloading trucks and rail cars. Also loading the processing lines (this can be very stressful). The tools required to perform your job aren't regulated and, for example, you can spend several hours tracking down a handheld scanner, which is required to do anything on the crane, and fall very behind on your work, causing you to rush. Very unsafe. The pay is very competitive, and the benefits are exceptional. The main issue with this job is a complete lack of work / life balance. You will spend the most useful hours of your day in a metal building. All new hires start on night shift (5p-5a) and advancement to day shift (5a-5p) is based on seniority. The process is relatively fair. Expect a major disconnect between day and night shift. Both shifts regularly blame each other for "left over slack". If you aspire to find new employment elsewhere after getting hired, be warned - the schedule locks you in pretty tight and will make the process almost impossible. Depending on when you  more... start, you may not have any paid vacation days and attendance is very strict. After 5 unexcused call-ins you are fired. Night shift and day shift are very different. Night shift is more relaxed and if you carry a two way radio be ready to bring your A game when it comes to banter between associates. We constantly ripped on each other, and it was occasionally annoying, but in a weird way, built solid relationships. The PPE sucks. Hard hat, arm guards, metatarsal boots, safety glasses and gloves. It's hot during the summer and cold during the winter.

The hiring process is insanely immense and selective. Understandably so. Be ready for many trips to the plant and a week in Ohio for training if you're hired. The training is actually fun.

Overall... don't apply if you hate physical work, dispise inconsistent management, like being at home. Seriously.

>You will make decent money. $16.50 starting and if you perform well will receive raises every 3 months until you top out at $21.50
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Christmas party (booze included), and company family picnic.
Cons
Very poor work / life balance, management, and tools
Rules and guidlines are not the same for everyone.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Kenton, OH 43326January 22, 2018
Too many favorites played, changes rules and policies at will to conform to their moods. They embrace the slackers and take advantage of the good workers.
Fast paste, strict, controled work zone
hydraulic and conventional slitting head of cuts (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHSeptember 22, 2017
each day a goal had to be made in a certain time or there as punishment. If you person fails, everyone would suffer consequences. Hardest task was beating the clock.
Pros
good pay
It's a good place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INAugust 25, 2017
Learning about the loading process and chaining the product, has to be DOT standards. Long hours on the docks can be tirering but it keeps you in shape. It's a team effort
Pros
Easy to get along with the people that work here
Cons
Starting night shifts
Lots of hours
Assisting customers (Current Employee) –  Minster, OHAugust 1, 2017
You will work lots of hours but the pay and benefits are great! Shop works 12 hour shifts. This is a place where it takes a great deal of time to advance.
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kenton, OHJuly 17, 2017
Excellent benefits. Always concerned about your well being. They always try to prompt within before hiring outside. Very understanding when needing time off.
Benefits
Cons
Layoff possibility
Internship
High school help (Former Employee) –  Minster, OHJuly 3, 2017
I worked on a part time internship were I went to school half a day and work half a day got to see how the manufacturing and inventory and pull orders. It was fun.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
pay wasnt that great
fast pace but good people to work for
Set-Up Technician (Former Employee) –  Talladega, ALJune 11, 2017
It was fast pace stressful sometimes but very good people to work with. The pay is good but you work hard for it. They are really concerned with safety.
Pros
good benefits and pay
Great place!!!
Packaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Minster, OHFebruary 27, 2017
Great place to work out for a guy. Not so much a girl. A demanding yet very well paid job. The company really cares about everyone of there employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Uniforms
fun place to work ,liked my coworkers a lot
Forklift Operator and Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INNovember 8, 2016
it"s a good job learned about steel and team work it was 12 hours a day job would go back and work for them don't really have anything bad to say about them
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
not a lot of room for advancement
They do not hire felons
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INAugust 18, 2016
This company will not hire felons regardless of how old it is. The pay for this company are very fare wages but because of companies like this it makes it hard for felons to be productive members of society. I have a felony from almost 9 years ago and they would not hire me because of it. It was not a violent or drug related charge. The corporate guys are unfair with this company. The only difference between me and them....They got away with it
Precision was a great place to work just no room for growth.
Asst (Current Employee) –  Vonore, TNSeptember 21, 2015
Acts as liaison between external customers, Operations, Sales, Marketing, Finance and Customer Support, ensuring positive two-way communications of priorities, issues and concerns. Inventory control. Arranged all lodging and catering for the company
Benefits
Cons
Growth
Production workplace
Accountant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minster, OHJuly 22, 2015
I enjoy everything about my job, from my coworkers to when to the job I do right now, and being able to help people when I can.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
Give your job to some else, that's what they thing is best.
Line Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INJuly 17, 2015
I was an inspector. I watched sheet metal coils run through a processing line at 1500 feet per minute. I watched for any defects through the master coil of a product before the shipment to the customer.
If you want to work your life away.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  OHFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day is, when you're hired at PSI they inform you that "you might have to work weekends." At least that is what was explained to me when I interview for the company 7 months ago. This boils down to working every Sunday through Friday 5 months in a row. Thats six days a week, with the possibly of working another 12 hour to 7 hour shift on Sunday nights. Which on average rounds out to about 67 hours a week. The plus side of the company is they have a great starting pay of $15.00 an hour with overtime pay at time and a half. And they inform you in the training that a normal work day at PSI is 10 hours plus two hours of overtime as opposed to 8 hours in a normal work setting. But if you look closely, you'll see that they take part of your overtime pay out in the 30 min lunch that you have. So you work 10 hours at your normal pay rate and 1 1/2 hours at your overtime rate. The other 20 min break is paid.
When you start at the plant you're assigned, differs between plants, you start on day shift to learn and get an idea of what a day is like. So for about a month or so, you're working 5 am to 5 pm. and the possibly of working Saturdays. This involves, learning how to package material with bands on the line, in racks, and on wooden skids. So if you're not in pretty good shape this job can be rough on the body. Because you're constantly moving, stooping, bending, reaching, banding, walking, and what not.
Never mind the fact that the shifts are 12 hours a days with a 30 min lunch and a 20 min break at 9 pm and 1 am of the shift. All that aside, the training is mediocre
  more... at best, you spend a week up in Tipp City OH, they show very outdated OUSHA videos that are very dry, learn how to use a bander, take some tests on the protocols of the plant,measurements,tolerances of material and safety. A perk is that PSI dose pay for your flight if you live out of state and a rental car, hotel, and provides a food allowance for the week. A draw back during my training was, they didn't provide transportation to Tipp city for the group I was with. I had to use my own car and they reimbursed me for the mileage, but the company has cars, trucks and vans that the use for other employees, and that didn't feel very professional. They do put you up in a decent Holliday in express or Lyqunita inn. While you train they will have a lunch that they pay for once or twice during the training. Around the third or fourth day they walk you through the plant and let you use a 30 - 40 ton capacity crane to lift a coil of material that is 15,000 lbs and move it from one bay of the factory to the other and safely set it down on the grown. Thats about 500 yards total. Scary at first but doable with the grabs they have you in to pick up the coils. If you run a crane in your main plant, you might be required to learn how to use whats called a C-Hook. This hook varies in size and weight capacity but is not easy to get accustomed to. There is a lot that can go wrong with the C-Hook so I opted to not want to run it. Mind you, that you have a spotter/trainer with you while training but that is not the case when you arrive at the plant you're assigned to. They have you do some banding and work with others in the plant that are in the job you're training for. Also there is some brief fork lift training, I mean brief. As in you stack a rack, stack some skids and drive around some cones. Not the kinda of training I would expect from a major metal processing facility that relies heavily on fork lifts and cranes. I had maybe driven a fork lift a couple of times in my life, but never the amount that is needed working for this company.
This is where I encountered my first sign of negativity of working for PSI, the workers at the Tipp city OH pant, seemed disgruntled, overworked, and the job relies heavily on others to be on point to keep the line producing. Many of the workers said: "Why the F*&K you want to work here." Didn't leave me feeling any better about the job I was being assigned. The line stops producing, the company is not making money. Everything comes down to the line running, no matter what.
On the last day of training they have a luncheon with the main staff at the headquarters plant in Minster OH. This was a pleasant time, where different staff member talk about their time with the company and how they moved up and such. The president of the company a long with his main staff are present. I was in the Army way to long to know when someone was blowing smoke, and thats the feeling I was getting while at the luncheon, a lot of smoke. But I needed a job so I stuck with it for seven month, 12 hours a day at lease 5 days a week and one 7 to 12 hour shift on the weekend.
Upon returning to my plant, I was faced with different obstacles: learning how to stack racks with material in them, skids with coils on them, running a crane, banding coils on the line and keeping up with all the other things going on in the plant. Some days were fast and grueling, somedays were slow and dragged out. My main concern with this company was the lack of training or certification to operate a forklift, crane or other heavy equipment in the plant. I had practice stacking and unstacking racks and skids, but when its 3 am in the morning and your on your 4th day straight of working 12 hour shifts with very little sleep, your bound to have an accident or spill material. I also was not a fan of working 12 hours a day for 5 days straigt and only one day off. If you have kids, family or a personal life, say good bye to it. Because you're either sleeping, eating or at work and thats it.The weight of these coils is no joke, were talking about coils as small as 200 lbs to coils at big as 60,000 lbs. Mainly I was responsible for packaging material for shipping out, This involved, pulling out racks from inventory that where a lot of the time stacked on top of each other with as much as 13,999 lbs in them or less defending on the coil size and gage. Then you would also have to pull skids, this never made sense to me. With a world of technology, we still have to use forklifts to move small stacks of skids of coils out of the way to get to the one you need. Some time it would take me an hour or longer to get a skid. That was a colossal waste of time, money and man power. The plant I worked in is putting in a crane system that is automatic and is run by a computer but this will take at least 6 months to a year to install if not longer.
I had four spills during my time at PSI and that cost me my job. The first two spills were months apart and the last two spills where a couple of days apart. I was at fault for all of them and I glad no one was ever hurt. After my last spill I was politely asked to resign because of my health/meds on was on and safety to others in the plant. I accepted their offer to resign and have moved on with my career search. If you want to work your life away for a good pay check every Thursday, paid holidays off, and a nice 401k, PSI is the place for you. I on the other hand was not so lucky, many of the other workers said you're going to drop stuff. Well, I dropped to much stuff and not here I am writing a review on Indeed.com. Hope this information helps you in your decision making process. Good luck and I have no hard feelings towards the plant or the company. I just feel like they need to have an overhaul of their: training and management situation.
Pros
Paid Holidays, overtime pay, 401k, heath care, dental, vision, incentive bonus after six months
Cons
Long hours, little sleep, lack of training, and disgruntled staff
Factory work
Bander, Material Handler, Line Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, KYOctober 6, 2014
Precision Strip was a great place to work. The employees were, for the most part, kind and easy to work with. The hours were long (5 p.m.-5 a.m.), but the pay and benefits made it more than tolerable.
Pros
Income, 401K, medical benefits
Cons
Long hours, night shift.
Excellent Employer for someone just out of high school
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, KYMay 31, 2014
Precision is a excellent place to work for anyone just out of high school, great pay and benefits. But not knowing what your work schedule will be day to day makes it difficult for anyone with a family they care about. Which is probably why most employees have at least one or two failed marriages under their belt. Management acts like they care and pretend to listen but don't do anything for employees but blow smoke.

The fact that several supervisors and long term employees have left because of poor management says it all.
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Poor managment
Not a bad Employer
Material Handler/ Maintenance Helper (Current Employee) –  Vonore, TNFebruary 7, 2014
Its not a bad place to work. The company is small, so opportunities are limited.
Industry leader for Outside Processing of Metals
Manager of Information Systems & Administration (Former Employee) –  Vonore, TNAugust 13, 2013
The plant that I was located at had been in the steel processing business for 18 years. Throughout the 18 years this plant has been sold off several times. I was the sole IT support for this plant for 10 years (under the name Marubeni Steel Processing), then the plant was sold off to a different division who name eventually became MISA Metals. I worked for 6 years as the EDI coordinator for several plants under this division, supporting over 40 different EDI trading partner's in which we were handling thousands of EDI transactions per month. Then the plant was sold off to Worthington Steel, who's IT dept. was centralized in Ohio, as a result, I helped them with EDI support, helpdesk resolution and some customer service duties, but not formally as a member of the IT group. Worthington Steel then sold off the plant to Precision Strip (the current owner). Again, Precision Strip's IT dept is centralized in Ohio, so I became a CSR / Bander for this company, which is what I have been doing for the past year or so. I would very much like to get back to doing IT work in the field which I have most of my experience and formal education in.