Precon Marine, Inc

Precon Marine, Inc Employee Reviews

You might as well just marry the company
Start this off by saying you will work 6-7 days a week, 10 hours + a day, a 30 minute lunch break, and work like a dog all day. They do pay you alright if you're a skilled trade with certs.

The on-the-job management is good, the office is terrible and they have zero connection with what is going on in the field. Constantly complain about production goals, and send you broken tools from the shop. The divers had to jerry rig just about everything we used and it ate into production time (our fault, obviously).

Most other companies won't hesitate to bring lifting equipment onto a job. Precon groans about forklifts. You'll mostly have to muscle everything to death.

If you get injured, expect to be treated like you're in a criminal investigation. Everything you say can and will be used against you, and you'll probably get fired anyways. They'll drug test you even if you hurt your back or developed carpal tunnel to try to find a reason not to have to pay for it.

Bonuses! They promised everyone on one of my jobs a completion bonus for finishing in half the time allotted, then kept telling us "next week" and eventually, 4 months later, said "we can't give bonuses right now" because the VP screwed up a job bid and lost the company millions. They also slashed our per diem by $10/day, didn't give us a Christmas bonus, and gave us all a $1/hr raise and treated it like that was very generous of them. We're such valued employees.

When we complained about job bonuses, year end bonuses, and per diem being cut, they threatened to fire us all as if that would "put us back in line."
 - more...
Pros
Fun work, good field employees
Cons
Nobody cares about the company, bad management, HR lies to employees
The owner have no clue on what he's doing
The owner have no clue on what he's doing ! The supervisor / Foreman's have no clue about painting /sand blasting the pay is not great at all ! Will make more money working in a warehouse
Crane operators beware.
One of the lowest paying crane operators in Hampton roads, the management and owner are constantly causing chaos by lack of knowledge and management duties. All of their cranes are junky and don’t have ac. The owner drives around all day at the yard and I was told as a crane operator to “look busy”. Companies all over Hampton roads pay $35 an hour for crane operators. They offered me $31 an hour and I took it at the time because I knew it was temporary.
Pros
Good place to work for a couple weeks if your waiting on a better job to open up
Cons
Management, pay, and unorganized...
Hard Work, Good Environment
I enjoy the atmosphere and management. If you have good work ethic and come to work everyday with your head forward, you will appreciate the opportunity.
Welders
This is a real horrible place to work, and all the management, workers and HR are liars. So are the ppl that are suppose to be underneath you. They tell lies about the supervisor and they fire you over it without any justification. This place sucks! Reason the other Weld Foreman quit!!! They only paid 23.00 an hour, I'm getting 32 an hour as a pipe welder with tradesman international now and I'm happier!
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Waste of time
They had me fire watching everyday doing nothing just fire watching everyday never no work but they still looking for people management is poor this job last me 2weeks then they let me go glad I had another job lol

Pros - easy money standing around

Cons- since it’s never nothing to do u won’t last long
Pros
Easy more
Cons
Only break is your lunch in that hot heat no 15mins break
Summary
It was okay to work Money was good, hrs was good but the people didn’t know how to talk to one another. But other than that I like it . That job wasn’t safe
Very fun and safe job
A normal work morning usually began with a morning meeting about some do's and dont's and company saftey along with policies covering work ethics and procedures.
Pros
Christmas bonuses
Cons
No smoking in shop area
Current equipment superintendent is a one upper
I was called back to this company by the owner my compensation was agreed to by the owner and my supervisor I was asked to go out of town temporarily and I did willingly it was supposed to be temporary but was almost a year I took care of 60+ pieces of equipment by myself with no failures was replaced by someone for half the price and did not go above and beyond as I did I returned to the shop and was fired because the equipment manager did not agree with my way of thinking as in do what it takes to get the job done he knew it all or knew someone that did. Example is he took apart a crane because it would not free fall and the only thing wrong with the crane was an adjustment. The only thing I can say is if you want bs everyday this is your company and the management will give it to you and the owner thinks he is rick Hendricks. When they fired me I was hired and promoted to management in three months at new company based on experience and performance I believe that speaks for itself. Stay away from this place.
Pros
Pay maybe
No raises or bonus’s
Hired to be bridges welder. Haven’t seen a bridge yet. Told I would recieve raise and bonus when hired. Not happening either. To much work for what they are paying.
Not a place to work McDonald's is better place
Work u like a dog talk to you like a dog at least give me a bone haha they act like this is the only place to work in the area but it's funny they need you , you don't need them so why talk down on your workers
Pros
Cons
Everyday was con just like jail
Good place learn new skills and expand your skill set
Good hours and good people. You have to be flexable and able to adapt to a fast paced and always changing enviroment. The company dose work both in town and out of town.
Great place to work!
Competitive pay, benefits and a family type atmosphere..you can't get much better than that! Every company has their faults and things that need to be addressed but Precon does a great job of taking care of the people that take care of them!
poor place of "career"
-Management unorganized. always jumping one job to another with no thought.
-Management don't talk to other management or employees.

-HR says one thing but does his own thing behind your back

-Buddy buddy type of employment. not of what you can do or what you know, it is who you know (putting it nicely)

-If management does not like the person for which said employee could do the managers job better or knows more than said manager, they will find a way to fire you or make you quit.

-Do as I say, not as I do mentality

-you can sacrifice you family time, you life time, paid vacation time, and be the hardest worker or most knowledgeable and still get passed for advancement. told that they have no intention to promote you, they want you where you are for the reason above.

-10 hour work day, no breaks, just a 30 min lunch

-starting pay was 16/hr

NOT a good place to have a Career.
Pros
i learned by my own self taught of how to work on the equipment there.
Cons
everything.
Good workplace and you get a lot of experience
Learned safety and crane hand signals welded clean welds to be checked by inspector good company great employees I work hard I want to go up the bar and not down hopefully one day I could become a supervisor
Pros
Working on ships
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent company to work for
The job environmnet is excellent. Projects are interesting and I love learning new types of jobs. The company at times was demanding, but challenging.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunches.
Very hard/ strenuous work
Great company, great pay but very hard strenuous work, long hours with little to no breaks and lots of travel, constantly busy and constantly away from family.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Constant travel, full dedication to company
Unprofessional, sketchy, indecisive, disorganized, disrespectful upper management
Owner/upper management very sketchy & unskilled @ business development, operating company logistics, & maintaining cohesive team. Revolving door for employees demonstrates pattern for skilled workers to seek gainful employment elsewhere while unskilled workers seek opportunity & are mislead that they may discover it. Owner disdainful toward knowledgable workers due to low self-esteem issues. It is best not to waste time with this company
Pros
Zip
Cons
See list above
the managers are rude and dont know how to talk to people
this company needs help on how to manage multiple people at one time. they don't knowhow to talk to people or respect them. it was a very harsh working environment
Enjoyable work place
Wonderful peers, and customers on other jobs were outstanding. Enjoyed driving all day and kept me busy. A lot of overtime which I enjoyed that. Bonus at the end of the year. That was huge incentives.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
N/a
Untrained
Former employee who loved the job but hated the untrained and unskilled supervisors. Owner is headed in the right path with the company but have to seed out those unqualified supervisors. As a young man right out of high school I didn't know what the phrase good ole boys was until I got here. Supervisors bully and pad there pay and the hard working employee gets nothing. Too bad I was going to make this a career but one supervisor pushed me to leave. Again if you are going to work for them watch out for those supervisors and everything will be ok. I told upper management about the supervisors and nothing got done so I left for a better company.
Pros
Owner is headed to bright future, non supervisor employees great to work with.
Cons
Untrained supervisors in skilled fields, Pay scale for skilled positions