Precon Marine, Inc Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
No raises or bonus’s
Welder (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 3, 2018
Hired to be bridges welder. Haven’t seen a bridge yet. Told I would recieve raise and bonus when hired. Not happening either. To much work for what they are paying.
Not a place to work McDonald's is better place
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 19, 2018
Work u like a dog talk to you like a dog at least give me a bone haha they act like this is the only place to work in the area but it's funny they need you , you don't need them so why talk down on your workers
Pros
Cons
Everyday was con just like jail
Great place to work!
Admin (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 17, 2018
Competitive pay, benefits and a family type atmosphere..you can't get much better than that! Every company has their faults and things that need to be addressed but Precon does a great job of taking care of the people that take care of them!
poor place of "career"
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 24, 2017
-Management unorganized. always jumping one job to another with no thought.
-Management don't talk to other management or employees.
-HR says one thing but does his own thing behind your back
-Buddy buddy type of employment. not of what you can do or what you know, it is who you know (putting it nicely)
-If management does not like the person for which said employee could do the managers job better or knows more than said manager, they will find a way to fire you or make you quit.
-Do as I say, not as I do mentality
-you can sacrifice you family time, you life time, paid vacation time, and be the hardest worker or most knowledgeable and still get passed for advancement. told that they have no intention to promote you, they want you where you are for the reason above.
-10 hour work day, no breaks, just a 30 min lunch
-starting pay was 16/hr

NOT a good place to have a Career.
Pros
i learned by my own self taught of how to work on the equipment there.
Cons
everything.
Good workplace and you get a lot of experience
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 18, 2017
Learned safety and crane hand signals welded clean welds to be checked by inspector good company great employees I work hard I want to go up the bar and not down hopefully one day I could become a supervisor
Pros
Working on ships
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent company to work for
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 24, 2017
The job environmnet is excellent. Projects are interesting and I love learning new types of jobs. The company at times was demanding, but challenging.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunches.
Very hard/ strenuous work
Commercial Diver (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 30, 2017
Great company, great pay but very hard strenuous work, long hours with little to no breaks and lots of travel, constantly busy and constantly away from family.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Constant travel, full dedication to company
Unprofessional, sketchy, indecisive, disorganized, disrespectful upper management
Ex-employee (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 11, 2016
Owner/upper management very sketchy & unskilled @ business development, operating company logistics, & maintaining cohesive team. Revolving door for employees demonstrates pattern for skilled workers to seek gainful employment elsewhere while unskilled workers seek opportunity & are mislead that they may discover it. Owner disdainful toward knowledgable workers due to low self-esteem issues. It is best not to waste time with this company
Pros
Zip
Cons
See list above
the managers are rude and dont know how to talk to people
lead (Former Employee) –  Kingsland, GAAugust 31, 2016
this company needs help on how to manage multiple people at one time. they don't knowhow to talk to people or respect them. it was a very harsh working environment
Enjoyable work place
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 29, 2016
Wonderful peers, and customers on other jobs were outstanding. Enjoyed driving all day and kept me busy. A lot of overtime which I enjoyed that. Bonus at the end of the year. That was huge incentives.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
N/a
Untrained
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 27, 2016
Former employee who loved the job but hated the untrained and unskilled supervisors. Owner is headed in the right path with the company but have to seed out those unqualified supervisors. As a young man right out of high school I didn't know what the phrase good ole boys was until I got here. Supervisors bully and pad there pay and the hard working employee gets nothing. Too bad I was going to make this a career but one supervisor pushed me to leave. Again if you are going to work for them watch out for those supervisors and everything will be ok. I told upper management about the supervisors and nothing got done so I left for a better company.
Pros
Owner is headed to bright future, non supervisor employees great to work with.
Cons
Untrained supervisors in skilled fields, Pay scale for skilled positions
Great environment to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 23, 2016
Poor pay in all fields. Management don't care about it either. More and more company vehicles get brought but no pay raises.
Pros
Work enviroment
Cons
Pay, supervisors
Plenty of work, when there is work.
Diver/ Tender (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake VAMarch 28, 2016
Worked hard while i was there and there was plenty of work to do. But when it gets slow, it means layoffs. But that is the deal with Diving.
Pros
Benefits, good guys to work with, decent work environment
Cons
Dangerous work, minimal family time, long work weeks and days
Not for welders that have exp.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 7, 2016
Company for entry level welders looking to get their feet wet. Very poor management. Supervisors lack comon sense and general knowledge. Company lacks organization and that reflects in the shop and in the field. Company has serious issues paying thier employees the right amount on scale work. The pay is a joke if your experienced. They pay kids fresh out of school and guys with 15 years the same amount.... 18.00 an hour. If you like dirt ball work then this is your company.
Pros
Shop welding supervisor is great.
Cons
Just isn't worth the headace for such garbage pay.
Productive and Educational Workplace
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 5, 2016
Typical day would include 7am start safety brief then hauling metal to and from the yard most of the day. I learn proper handling techniques of how to use a burning torch. I was also apprenticing with the welders in the FCAW SMAW methods of welding. The management team was very straightforward with their direction for what they wanted done for the day. Working with my coworkers was the most enjoyable part of the day.
Hard working environment
Diver/ Tender (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 5, 2015
Learn a lot fast, required long hours per day some weeks 7 days a week. Work in harsh weather conditions, long hours per day. Not many breaks if any. Pay is low due to the hazard of the job. Traveling job, move alot and they only help with housing when its out of state or a certain distance from shop.
Pros
Good Benefits, Per dium when out of town, supplies alot of ppe, if you need something they can get it.
Cons
Not many breaks, working in harsh weather, long hours working per day, not alot of time off, work 6- 7 days a week.
Great Company with tons of potential growth for the right person
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 16, 2015
Perfect work/life balance, some leaders need training, while others are great to work for. Company is growing at a rapid rate. They don't mind training the right people for the jobs.
Pros
Bonuses, benefits, pay is fluid
Productive, and very competitive work place
Hand Packer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 16, 2015
Typical day at work was enjoyable
I learned to work hard
management was very good
my co-workers were great
there was nothing hard about the job
i enjoyed everything about the job
Productive workplace
Welder (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 25, 2014
In the marine construction industry, nothing speaks louder than a good quality job completed on time and on budget. At Precon Marine, Inc., we take pride in our success in just that - bid the job fairly, give the customer what he wants and finish the job on time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Precon Marine, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Precon Marine, Inc Reviews by Location