Preferred Mutual Insurance Company Employee Reviews

N/a
N/A (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYJune 12, 2019
Operating 10-20 years behind the industry. Trying to grow without the resources or infrastructure. Very poor senior management. Strange culture and work environment.
Preferred mutual
Manager (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYMarch 12, 2019
Although no longer an employee, I had a great experience working at Preferred Mutual. They allow employees to work remotely, which is huge benefit, especially since their headquarters are in remote area difficult to get to.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
limited advancement
Values are Gone
Do not want to share (Current Employee) –  New Berlin, NYSeptember 20, 2018
Cut throat
Turning employee against employee
Major downsizing of Company
Loss of more than 15 people in less then 4 months
The atmosphere use to be fun even though there is always a lot of work people worked together and enjoyed being there. Willing to work ivertime and help one another. Now it is out to save yourself and allow others to be subject to attack and unjust accusations.
Pros
Vacation time and pay
Cons
Dental coverage is pore
Very poor senior leadership
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYApril 21, 2018
While the pay and benefits in general are adequate for this economically depressed area, it is a pervasively unhappy place to work, and therefore there is high turnover.
TERRIBLE place to work
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYMarch 25, 2018
Customer Service has a fake two faced boss, pretends to be your friend but true side eventually comes out. In meetings with Senior Representatives talks about her employees and takes group selfies instead of discussing business. No room for advancement, poor management.
Pros
Free branded items
Cons
Poor management, no room for advancement, lots of turnover
Worse than high school
Support Service Technician (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYMarch 25, 2018
I worked for Preferred through Staff works and it was a huge chunk of my life wasted. The people are back stabbing extremely rude people that apparently were not taught manners growing up.
Cons
Nightmare
Overview
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYFebruary 11, 2018
I dreaded working here. I did get some experience in my field. Management is terrible can't fault them because they may be under certain pressures causing them to undergo personality change.
company is well organized and promotes advancement
Personal Lines Rate Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYSeptember 21, 2017
It is a good place to start a career for a young adult, will have good opportunity to learn and advance. If you are looking for a career that is balanced and easy t learn then apply to start with this company.
Good atmosphere
CL Rate Technician (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYAugust 10, 2017
CEO is wonderful. Very good surroundings and benefits. I enjoyed the co-workers not necessarily all management is focused on the employees abilities. Some departments are very judgemental
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Managment
Solid Company But Slow
Product Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Berlin, NYMarch 3, 2017
Company is solid from a financial and security perspective. It takes care of its employees with reasonable compensation and insurance packages. It speaks of changes and advancements but fails to provide the needed thought and change management to maximize its potential. Overall good not great.
Pros
Subsidized Cafe, Remote working, caring coworkers, pension
Cons
Slow, mired with consensus management
Little room for advancement
Personal (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYSeptember 10, 2015
Company has good work life balance. However, very little advancement of internal staff. They like to hire big shots that get paid very well than advance their current staff that have been there. A small and very rural town so employees from larger markets tend not to stay.
Great company to work for
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYMay 18, 2015
Many chances to advance, to learn, to evolve. Great employee benefits, pay is competitive & a good working environment.
High Value on development of talent and success within the company.
Liability Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  New Berlin, NYApril 20, 2015
The Company is highly focused on making the best of every employee and dedicated to their education and development both educationally and career wise. They work well to develop personal relationships so that there is open communication. The hardest part is the juggling of your every day workflow and the projects and assignments that are given.
Excellent
Personal & Commercial Lines Insurance Technician (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Very nice company to work for.
People were very friendly.
Flexible work schedule.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Business Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Berlin, NYOctober 29, 2014
Great culture. Excellent leadership. Company offers many development opportunities.
Don't Get Sick
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New Berlin, NYOctober 13, 2014
I have, unfortunately, had to have several non-elective surgeries this year. I have been forced to use all of my personal and vacation time to cover what disability doesn't.
I have been prohibited from staying home with my daughter if she should fall ill, and have been advised that if I have car issues there is a great chance I will be terminated.

I have been a loyal employee, making it in EVERY day this winter during inclement weather despite the fact that it is a 40 minute trip in fair weather, and now I feel as if I am being bullied out of this job.
Pros
Free branded items
Cons
passive agressive management, no flexibility for illness, favoritism runs rampid
Solid and stable company
manager (Former Employee) –  new berlin, nyNovember 19, 2013
the company is well run and offers opportunity.

projects are managed by a great leader and that is a wonderful part of the company to work in.
Excellent Company!
Communications (Current Employee) –  New Berlin, NYMarch 19, 2013
Preferred Mutual is a great company to work for. They provide competitive benefits and compensation, opportunities for development and growth/advancement, fantastic leadership, strong value system, emphasis on customer service, and lots of opportunity. This is the place for professional, ethical, innovative and collaborative people to work!
Pros
time off, remote work capability, free food and gifts
Cons
not for those who want the status quo
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYOctober 1, 2012
Constantly changing environment - lots of advancements in technology taking place. Great group of people to work with. Team atmosphere is very predominant.
Pros
advanced in technology, allows employees to work remotely
Applicant BEWARE. This is a hostile company to work for with a lot of unsavory politics.
HELP DESK SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, NYApril 30, 2012
I started working for Preferred Mutual back in 2008, and eventually wound up on their IT Help Desk. I finished my Associates degree and Bachelors degree while working for the company, and that combined with the always available and ready attitude to pitch in and help out, wasn’t enough to secure further advancement in my career. It was a little disheartening when they chose High School graduate over my academic and professional background when two IT Systems Engineer positions became available. Aside from my own disgruntled attitude toward the company now, while I was there especially in the past year, I witnessed a lot of hard working employees who were fired that came in every day, did their job, and even worked during their own personal home time to stay caught up. As more of these departures occurred, the talk around the water cooler was always “who’s next”. People would cringe when a member of HR walked into their cubical and would always ask, “is today my turn?”

The leadership at this company leaves much to be desired. This use to be a company that was all about internal hiring, and employee growth, but it has deteriorated rapidly over the years to a VERY hostile company to work for. I do not recommend applying for any position at this company, and strongly encourage you to look elsewhere.
Pros
10%-12% annual employee gainshare
Cons
hostile work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Preferred Mutual Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9