Premera Blue Cross Employee Reviews

Toxic Company For Both Contractors and Customers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Creek, WAMay 18, 2019
Where to begin? At our badging ceremony, I observed a co-worker deliberately having her first name misspelled, a trainer standing closely enough to her face to warrant a physical assault charge while screaming at her for politely standing back in line to have it corrected, while deliberately manipulating the other contractors present into an 'us versus her' mentality for 'messing up' the trainer's 'golden moment' by standing back in line again. The first several days of training, she was repeatedly targeted, one trainer insinuating that because she had spoken to another contractor after work about starting a carpool, that meant she 'didn't know how to find websites'. Another trainer suggest she 'dye her gray hair' if she wanted to continue work there. The same trainer who attacked her at badging was observed standing over her and rubbing in the misspelling of her name.. which was done as deliberate slander as an 'office joke', as the misspelled version turned out to be a match for an adult film star.. which they were also observed laughing about post badging ceremony. They segregated the racial minorities and older members of the training class into their own half of the group, deliberately arranged trainer position so it was difficult for that half of the group to hear, and 'forgot' to allow them full access to training tools the first day. In addition, the 'head trainer' wasn't present for the bulk of the training to take responsibility for her class. After training, the segregated portion was again put into their 'own special' section on the floor which was conveniently  more... lacking computers, so once again the 'socially acceptable' portion of the class had the advantage of being able to fully set up their work spaces ahead of the others. In addition, I witnessed constant denigration and psychological abuse towards the segregated group by the trainers during their first weeks on the floor. They would deliberately walk up behind the contractors, often times while they were on the phone with customers, and criticize them for things like taking bathroom breaks or 'annoying' the 'second tier' people by asking them for help over Skype (as they were told to do in training). All in all, if you think customer service should involve acting like a prison felon towards other employees and the customer? then this is your place to be. If you empathize with customers and people the way they advertise for? You're a guppy about to be thrown in a shark tank.  less
Pros
$18/hr, the customers are usually wonderful people.
Cons
must enjoy constant abuse, and being treated like garbage
Be thoughtful
System Analyst, Premera (Former Employee) –  Edmonds, WAMay 5, 2019
I would not recommend working here as a contractor, a noisy working environment. People like to talk than think. They literally look down on you to look at your badge to see if you are contracted or not.
Pros
Building is clean
Cons
Noisy, No enough respect to the work contract do.
You’ll need the PTO to recover from being overworked
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Premera BluecrossMay 3, 2019
I used Premera as a stepping stone to get to a higher position at a different company. The management is a joke and is likely to discriminate. HR offers to listen to you but can rarely help. Leaving was the best decision I made. No amount of money is worth risking your mental health.
Pros
Nice campus, nice people
Cons
Bad management, many organizational structure changes, very little freedom to make decisions
One of my favorite jobs!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 24, 2019
Premera Blue Cross was a great company to work for. Awesome benefits! Great people! Willing to help you with your work schedule if urgent matters happen. They appreciate the employees with all kinds of incentives.
Pros
Great company all the way around
Cons
More companies should be like Premera BC
Stressful
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 22, 2019
Call center jobs can be very stressful. The training can seem very daunting and it can scare you off. Taking the phone calls isn't that scary, but learning all the required knowledge can be intimidating.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAApril 22, 2019
Premera has very drastic management types. There are very caring, understanding managers and there are managers who see subordinates as a means to cover up their own faults. When an individual makes an error, Premera's philosophy is to correct the team rather than provide the individual with supportive feedback to improve their investment. Premera likes to advertise they have a fair and balanced work/life ethic but the reality is the company, and a large portion of their management, feels you must live and breathe Premera 24/7 regardless of the sacrifice to your home/family.
Second class employment as a contractor
Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 16, 2019
I would not recommend working here as a contractor. They literally look down on you to look at your badge to see if you are contracted or not. They have activities to keep moral up but do not allow the contractors access and keep them separated.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAApril 12, 2019
Very fun place to work. Management is great. Training is very long and confusing but once you get the hang of it it's simple. Commute was easy. You get your own desk!
A Day
Provider Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 2, 2019
Come in, log on to phone and systems answer calls, research accounts, provide accurate information to providers taking care not to provide PPI, follow schedules, attend meetings. All in all a good work environment.
A challenging place to be in Information Technology
Middleware Systems Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMarch 28, 2019
Decent working conditions, on call rotation for production system support. Great opportunities to get into new technology, implemented a CRM system with a AWS cloud development environment for offshore developers, implemented and supported Secure File Transfer services for HIPPA compliant EDI.
Pros
Interesting challenges
Cons
Charged for coffee, nothing free in cafeteria. Lot of hours when projects were hot
I enjoyed administration in the medical area of the insurance business.
Insurance Medical Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMarch 24, 2019
I worked with a collaborative team in medical underwriting and provided a valuable service to our subscribers in writing contract riders and exclusions. It was a positive work experience.
Pros
A great team to work with
Cons
It was a transition from hospital staff nursing to administration which took adjustment time.
I worked at Premera for 15 years with being satisfied
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMarch 24, 2019
I worked at Premera for 15 years with advance career opportunities in case management, utilization review, medical underwriting, and Insurance Fraud Investigations
Pros
Remote telephonic case management
Cons
stabilized in career advancement
I used to love Premera
Provider and Member Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMarch 12, 2019
I used to love Premera until i opened my eyes and saw how much of a popularity contest it was. If you aren't brown nosing and making your managers feel special there isn't really any advancement opportunities for you.

I applied for Premera based on the advancement opportunities that they boasted about. I had worked for Regence in Provider customer service prior and i was tired of being on the phones all day. I wanted to further my career within the health insurance industry. But i soon realized that no matter how good your number are if someone is liked more than you are they will get the job over you.

Premera also does things very backwards in my opinion. When you first apply you are applying for a position in their provider customer service department. when you get the job you go through 4-5 weeks of paid training. if it weren't for my prior background at Regence I don't think i would have made it through training because most of their trainers are just awful. 5 out of the 11 or 12 people that were in my training class left and I believe its because the training wasn't that great. After training you are put on the phones, usually they have you hired by July and finished with training by September. you're then on the phones for a couple months and they throw you in another awful training course for member customer service so they can loan you out to member for the open enrollment period. at the same time they are training contractors to be in provider customer service to help because they just moved half of us to member customer service for 6 months. This in my opinion
  more... is backwards. If every year you know you are going to need more people in member, then hire people for member. cut out the extra training courses and let people who want to be in member, be in member. Its an absolute waste of time and sets some of us who are not meant for member customer service, up for failure.

On top of that you don't get a pay raise like the permanent member employees you get a spot bonus which is no where equal to what we should get paid for the work we do, especially considering most of us are also taking provider customer service calls at the same time. double work for not enough pay.

Premera has also made a recent business decision about their member customer service which means a possible lay off by the end of the year. that also means everyone on loan to member stays in member and will possibly not get their bonus like promised. Supervisors also announce these things to us without any answers to follow up questions that we all had.

Everything is up in the air and backwards at Premera. Its very disappointing because i was hoping to make career out of this company but i didn't get the chance because i wasn't the most popular one in the group. There are a lot of people I know who feel the same way.
Pros
co-workers within customer service are great! pay was decent for the job.
Cons
management was awful and whoooole bunch of high school like favoritism
Culture built on popularity and theft
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAFebruary 6, 2019
I came in with years of experience into a culture that claims it loves new ideas and feedback. Realized soon enough that feedback is only warranted if you're giving the right rub to management. Ideas are frequently stolen and claimed by others. Feedback to management is met with disinterest. While hired for specific talents, those talents were essentially "harvested" and given to senior technicians.

Speaking of Senior Technicians - promotions seem to be based on popularity. One senior in particular did not know what VPN stood for or how to explain how it works. Another had to be reminded frequently on basic technical terms. Most do not even know basic soft skills.
There is never a dull moment.
Customer Service Representative/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 2, 2019
Very fast paced with back to back calls at times, especially in the provider queue. There are two campuses, I worked for the Spokane Campus. Sadly, there are not a lot of opportunities (especially not in Spokane) to move around the company and you have to compete with more tenured reps when there are openings. That being said though, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the company and the team I worked with. I was also loaned to the training department for some time to help train new hires and that was the best experience I've ever had at a job. Had there been a position opening in that department I absolutely would have stayed there till retirement.
Pros
Lots of employee appreciation from lunches to random rootbeer floats or hot cocoa.
Cons
Not a lot of advancement opportunities, but a lot of back to back calls.
Provider/Customer Rep
MEMBER & PROVIDER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJanuary 31, 2019
Answered 60-70 calls a day. Would give providers required information for care rendered to patients. Assist customers with billing and other questions
Very backwards organization
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 30, 2019
There was always inconsistencies in policies and miscommunications in the middle management level. Not enough adequate training to do your job. A lot of favoritism going on when it comes to advancing in the company. Typical of a call center. I really loved my coworkers but just wasn’t very fond of management.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
Productive and fun atmosphere
Corporate Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 26, 2019
A typical day at work include greeting customers, taking in payments, creating receipts for members. Along with helping other departments with projects.

At Premera I have been able to learn more about health insurance and how the cost of it is determined. I've also learned how to use Microsoft Office and excel in those programs.

The workplace is culture is very friendly an very inviting, everyone always greets you and they have conversations with you.
Pros
Benefits and cheaper health insurance
Cons
Long drive from where I live
Provider Services Team Lead - Premera Blue Cross
Team Lead Provider Services (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 15, 2019
During my time I had the opportunity to invest in people new to Premera. This investment was an opportunity to coach, inculcate the values of the organization into the new CSRs as well as invest in those who I worked with.

The organization is extremely risk averse and that can make leading very difficult when working through the extreme changes the company was attempting to work through. As the culture and pace continue to accelerate not all are able to succeed.

Team Lead in Premera is a very challenging position but ideally suited for someone who wants to invest in people. Workload can be heavy during open enrollment.

This is a company with excellent senior leadership that truly believes the customer is the center of everything they do.
Licensing & Affiliation Analyst
Licensing & Affiliation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJanuary 8, 2019
Manage & process all producer appointment requests
Complete all producer appointments
Take all calls from producers
Perform audits
Prioritize work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Premera Blue Cross. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight