Premera Blue Cross Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good Place To Work
Personal Support Health Coach, Disease Management (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAAugust 29, 2018
I worked there as a nurse, and enjoyed my work. Looking back, I wish I hadn't quit, but I had to move away. The culture is very cooperative, and there was some work-at-home opportunities, too.
Pros
Cafeteria, Friendly Staff
Cons
None, really
Productive fun place to work
Incident Manager - Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAAugust 20, 2018
Great people, nice campus. Great home work life balance. fair compensation. HR moves slowly. Many people have significant tenure. Still offer pensions
Moderate productivity, meeting heavy...
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAAugust 6, 2018
Leadership is dis-engaged and out of touch with employee mindset. Employee feedback is not overlooked but seldom addressed. Desire to be a destination employer is met with lackluster commitment from middle leadership.
Pros
good health insurance benefits
Cons
little work-life balance, slow career advancement, lack of employee centered culture
Good place to learn about healthcare; not a good place for career advancement
Management (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJuly 18, 2018
The pay and benefits are good and the location is good for those who live in Snohomish County or north Seattle. It is a good place to learn about healthcare, but don't stay more than a couple of years.
Pros
Free parking, good benefits
Cons
Male-dominated leadership; top-down decision-making; outdated buildings
Overall good company
Operations (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 13, 2018
Excellent social impact programs and visible in the community. Far too many micro-managers, workplace need improvement old buildings and interior design lack creativity.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Career advancement is non-existance
Sometimes stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 9, 2018
I worked at Premera at a time where they had launched the ACA and there were many irate customers, who didn't understand the plans and what was going on. It was a stressful time to work there.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
call center
Unhealthy place to work
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 3, 2018
The only way you will move up with this company is if you suck up to management, didn't matter if you were a hard worker. They play favorites. I was raised you work hard to get where you want to go, if this is you don't work here, you won't go far.
They like making people feel like they were going to lose their jobs on a daily basis. I worked their for over 5 years and never felt safe. The company would go through stages where they said they needed to lay people off because there wasn't enough work. So they would find ways to fire people, then work everyone else overtime for a month then rehire a new group of people. This went on at least once or twice a year.
If you weren't one of the favorites they would try to find ways to say you were doing things wrong after the fact they told you to do that in the first place. So I had to refuse meetings over the phone and said if they wanted me to change something I needed it over a email so I had it on record. After that I was not attacked as much on a daily basis since I was able to show I was in fact told to do that project that they came back and said I wasn't supposed to.
Thankfully I was not fired from this place even though it was threated a lot, I did see a lot of people get let go for no reason and still hear about it.
Pros
Insurance, Vision, Dental, 401k
Cons
Terrible management, Drama, Plays favorites
Only if you are desperate for a paycheck
Director (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJuly 1, 2018
White male dominated culture focused exclusively on sales and executive prestige. Shocking for a nonprofit organization, and completely opposite to the values and purpose the company espouses. They claim they are driven to improve customer's lives by making healthcare work better, but their toxic and incompetent leadership can't figure out how to run something as complicated as a meeting. #timesup
Pros
People below director level are dedicated and caring
Cons
No work life balance. Rampant misogyny
Configuration
Configuration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJune 29, 2018
A typical day in config included building product "shells" in the mornings, getting them ready for production, checking in with your team lead.

The work place culture here is very production based, the more you can produce the better off you are.

The hardest part of the job for me was watching the ones who would slide by and let others do their work, however management does notice and guide them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having all of my products pay correctly and claims run smoothly.
Pros
flexible schedule
Loved this place
Claims Associate II (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJune 21, 2018
I loved working here. I enjoyed my team my boss, everything about this company and was so sad to leave it as a military spouse. Supportive, collaborative
It's a job
Member and Provider Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJune 18, 2018
It's a job i wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to work at a cutting edge place. Lots of ambiguous movements and their "lean" team is a joke. Stay agile and save the company money while they find a way to replace you
Advancement impossible to achieve
Claims Associate IV (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJune 15, 2018
Telecommuter position very busy fast pace days. Loved my position claims specialist. Requested training never allowed, never a business need, but needed for our customers? My goals never allowed to be met, inadequate training, therefore never got to advance in my position. Promotions very hard to get. Never know when your job title or work changes on a weekly bases. Management- Manger and lead friends could never address issues.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
New Lead doesn't like you, your career of many many years is done.
Busy, fast paced, constant change
Configuration Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJune 13, 2018
Keeping up with the constantly changing healthcare industry is a challenge. Communication between departments is somewhat lacking and it is a common occurrence for changes to not be communicated to areas that need to know information. People have too much work to do and commonly try to take shortcuts which later causes more work to need to be done due to oversights or lack of attention to details.
Very valuable experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJune 13, 2018
Premera is a good company with great people. The working environment is relatively relaxed. My experience there was highly valuable and definitely positive.
they're fine
Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJune 13, 2018
in HCE, they want to hire actuaries or aspiring actuaries. But the work you do is not whatsoever related to the skillset of an actuary. Don't take the job there unless you really need it, or you don't care to be challenged.
Most managers could not be trusted.
Sr. Developer (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAJune 12, 2018
promotions and firings were arbitrary. It's all about who likes you.
seriously, you insist i write something AND demand it be a certain length ?
Pros
free parking - if you get in early.
Cons
management focus is upward. when it should be downward.
The most Enjoyable part of my job:
Personal Health Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMay 30, 2018
Helping our customers, participating in clinical reviews, increasing my knowledge in areas related to health care that I did not know about before.
Documenting my process with the customers, writing customer success stories.
friendships made at work, and laughing with my peers about silliness of corporate America:)
Pros
providing a really needed service to those who would not have it without this job.
Cons
n/a
It was nice working for 12 years
Sr. Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMay 25, 2018
I managed 4 Projects in parallel and was responsible for all the implementation in timely manner. One of the project where our in house project saved the company over $400 millions,
Pros
ll Good
good place to work
Sr Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMay 24, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company. the people were please and team orientated. i thought management was good and did a lot for the employees. wouldn't mind being hired again.
Pros
good work enviorment
Cons
unk
Health Insurance Provider
Sr. Manager of Media Relations & Issue Management (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAMay 17, 2018
Hired initially as Manager to rebuild reputation; identified/recruited stakeholders and 3rd party advocates for crisis mitigation and agenda advocacy; led proactive advocacy recruitment and media relations campaigns to support political and marketing campaigns; provided issue management counsel; counseled leaders on issue and marketing messaging; and provided media training for senior management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Premera Blue Cross. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight