Presbyterian Homes & Services Employee Reviews

Fulfilling Environment
Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJuly 4, 2018
Enjoyable workplace and relaxed surroundings
Providing a amazing service to the community that lives there and
the warm welcome that accompanies sharing their experiences
August 13, 2018

Thank you for this very kind and genuine feedback. We agree that the work is fulfilling and meaningful. Although you are a former employee, we often find that those who leave find their way back at some point. We love welcoming previous employees back!

good place to work
Lead aide or bath aide (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, IAJuly 2, 2018
All in all a very good place to work.They take care of the residents very well. The people you work with are generally good about helping with time off.
August 13, 2018

Thank you for this feedback. The services you provided are very important and needed. Thank you for your dedication.

Residents are awesome
Server (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAJune 19, 2018
Great place, great food, great people.
Need more raises.
And better taking care/ appreciation of employees.
Giving residents a choice of food, according to their diets.
Pros
Free Sunday brunch
Cons
Moving straight thru meals
June 25, 2018

Thank you for your service to the residents of PHS. In the role of a server you have the opportunity to closely interact with the residents and build strong relationships, we're glad you enjoyed this. Thank you for your feedback as we strive to develop the employee experience of PHS.

Terrible experience
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNJune 6, 2018
Overall I had a bad experience here. I had encountered a situation with one of the residents and I reported it and they didn't do anything to prevent it again. I still had to work with the resident and they didn't care. They also would not work around my school schedule. I had to skip a couple classes most weeks because they scheduled me because they were short staffed.
June 11, 2018

We understand that online job boards are a great way to leave reviews about companies and share your experience, and we really do appreciate it when current and former employees take the time to share about their experience. Your review is definitely one any employer would want to learn more about - and your experience certainly isn't what we had in mind when we created our employee promise stating that employees are the most important resource in our ministry. The appropriate people will be made aware of what you have shared. We value all opportunities to improve and wish you the best in your career.

It was a nice place to work.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNMay 29, 2018
The residents are really sweet. There are a couple testy ones but for the most part, they make coming to work very easy. The work isn't hard and the other residential assistants really jump in and help each other out- which also makes it easy to come to work. I have worked at a variety of places and this location (MC) has been a very fulfilling job.
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and thank you for the role you have in our ministry of caring for older adults.

Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNMay 22, 2018
This job is not for everyone. Every day you are required to provide basic cares such as toileting and personal hygiene to residents. Management is very inconsistent. Mostly non-english speakers work here. It is a very physical job, but getting to know residents is very rewarding. Scheduling is difficult, and staffing can be hard to work with
June 7, 2018

Thank you for your service to older adults as a Nursing Assistant. This is such an important job and one that often doesn't receive the praise and thanks it deserves. I am sorry that you did not have the best experience with scheduling flexibility. We do care about your experience and want to be a place people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional more detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Good place but bad management and co-worker
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Park Heights, MNMay 17, 2018
The pay is fair. However, management is very bad. They never listen to my concern. A lot of drama there. Co-workers ( especially TMA) who worked there for a long time always complain about new ones. They should help CNA when short staffed.
Pros
Fair pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of management
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not have the best experience with your coworkers. We agree that working together to support each other is ideal and the best way to provide service. We care about your experience and want to be a place people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional more detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Great at first... BUT
Server (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNMay 17, 2018
I worked as a server in one of the MN locations. I worked there for over 2 years and it was my first job. I will say it was one of the greatest experiences I’ve had. UNTIL- I had trouble with a coworker and then management took sides of the situation and began to play favorites and treat people less kind.

It started to go downhill after about 1.5 years of working there. It is very unfortunate but I wouldn’t say it’s too terrible of a place to work. It IS very difficult to work short staffed, which was frequent. The demands are high and it can be hard to accomplish daily tasks.

It is so wonderful to create relationships with the residents.
I volunteered prior to being hired and I think that was a bonus- but even then the residents will treat you well and are usually, not always understanding.

*If you build a great relationship with some of the residents, they sometimes give you treats ;)*

I would absolutely recommend this as a first time job or a side job! The pay does not support a family or bills too well but it is nice for a side gig.
Pros
Great residents, chill coworkers, and AMAZING food
Cons
Management, low pay
June 7, 2018

I'm sorry you felt that management took sides rather than finding a solution. Thank you for providing your honest feedback. We agree that building relationships with those we serve is the greatest gift of this work. We wish you the best in your career.

It’s long term care....
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 15, 2018
Some campus’s were better than others. Too much money put into upper management and not enough into resident funds and floor staff. Not very flexible and pay was not well.
Pros
Cons
Short staffed all the time
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not have the best experience of PHS. We care about your experience and want to be a place people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org if you are willing to talk. If not, I understand, but want you to know your feedback is appreciated. Denise

Relaxed, fun, and very welcoming place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMay 14, 2018
PHS has very many locations. Something for just about everyone. Faith based. Room for growth. Daily prayer with all staff. Benefits are great. 32 hours is considered full time.
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and be an ambassador for PHS. Most importantly, thank you for the role you have in our ministry of caring for older adults!

Great job
Home Care Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMay 7, 2018
I loved the culture and the other staff that I worked with. I really liked my job and got a lot of expierence doing different things. I didn’t like how they made my roll work as a CNA because a lot of times I felt like that was all I was doing. I also didn’t like being on-call 24/7 everyday of the year never felt like you had your own time.
Pros
co-workers, culture, residents
Cons
Pay, work life balanace, doing a lot of jobs that weren’t in the job discription
June 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. Work life balance is important and we understand that at times it can become imbalanced. Our ministry of providing care and service to older adults is a 24/7 operation, and we are grateful for the dedication of employees both past and present to make it happen.

Easy and fun job working with elderly
Dietary Aid (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, MNMay 4, 2018
serving residents meals
cleaning up dining rooms
stocking households
very clean environment
friendly employees
very nice residents
a fun and steady workplace
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and thank you for the role you have in our ministry of caring for older adults!

Often short staffed
Clinical Administrator Assisted Living (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 29, 2018
Often times short staffed. Upper management does not support direct care staff or front line leaders very well. Works staff very hard for modest compensation until they get worn out and leave.
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your past service to PHS and our residents and thanks for taking the time to write a review. We hear your concern about staff shortages and while we are proud of our relatively low turnover as compared to almost every other organization in our industry, we would love to see more people choose to stay longer.

Horribly managed and incompetent coworkers
Server (Former Employee) –  Hudson, WIApril 19, 2018
My experience at Woodland Hill campus was horrible. Hours were extremely inconsistent and coworkers often expected to have me take their shifts super last minute, and my supervisor always took the side of others. My coworkers didn't take the job seriously, and were extremely rude to the residents, as well as the negativity they brought back into the kitchen. The workplace was stressful and difficult to have a positive attitude. In addition, every time i went in for a shift, something related to general protocol had changed, and I was ill informed which often got me into trouble and added to my disapproval with management.
Pros
Very nice residents
Cons
Horrible management
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for taking time to leave this review. While it is difficult to address comments made on review sites, please be  assured that we do read every single review and do pass on feedback to others in order to make sure everyone at all levels fully understands what our people are saying about us.

Great Place to Work -- if not in dietary
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNApril 3, 2018
I loved working with residents as a dietary aide at Presbyterian Homes. I was paid well for my role, the employees are all sweet people, and they made sure you were able to do and understand your job before sending you off on your own. A typical day would be you would show up, prepare tables, get the food ready and serve, clean the dining area then return to the kitchen, then you would clean the kitchen, and then repeat and go home. I loved the environment and attitude of everyone there, the only issue I had was with the dietary management who let her emotions take over her work life and was not very understanding when it came to my chronic illness. One other con is as a dietary aide, you either got to work 3 hours or 8 hours a day, so it's tough to earn more than $250 a paycheck if you're a student. If I were to be offered the job again, I would definitely take it.
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write an honest review and sharing with others "a day in the life" of a dietary aide.

workplace enviroment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNApril 2, 2018
I was responsible to give medications and do treatments on 21 residents during my employment at Grace Pointe Crossing. I would need to manage my time wisely, and give medication before breakfast and lunch. I was also responsible to do weights, skin assessments, monthly charting, daily charting, baths and feed residents when needed. Many days there was so much that needed to be done that there was no time for myself to get a break, and I would still leave late. Time management was key to having a good day in this care setting. I learned to have a game plan for the day, and go in early to read up on any new residents since there were so many resident to care for.
Pros
Most of the staff were team players and pleasent to work with.
Cons
Many tasks that needed to be done, but not enough time or staff to complete them.
June 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide this feedback. The appropriate people will be made aware. We value all opportunities to improve and wish you the best in your career.

Good working place
Team Member Trainer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNMarch 27, 2018
Provides good working environment and working facilities. There freedom on how ones works as long as you meet your targets. Management is very supportive of the employees
June 7, 2018

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your employment at PHS. Many employees who leave PHS have found their way back to us at some point in another role - so please keep us in mind if you are ever looking for a new job. We love to welcome former employees back into the family!

Interactive place
Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 27, 2018
I learned how to deal with unhappy guests. Along with trying to juggle multiple things while on the job. A lot was expected of you but at the same time it wasn't.
June 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Although you are no longer an employee, we are glad to hear that you had positive learning experiences while working at PHS.

Company good to work for
Home Health Aide/CNA (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNMarch 26, 2018
Very good company to work for ,fair with benefits and room to advance.Co workers were always helpful. Working with the families was a very good experience being entrusted with the care of their loved one made me feel good and a valued person of the care team
Pros
Great team workers
Cons
None at the time
June 7, 2018

Human Interaction skills training helped me so much.
Dietary Aide/Server (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNMarch 19, 2018
It helped me developed my skills in Nutrition and Culinary but management in that department is not good. Clearly no advancement at all and work load not fair compared to wages I was getting. Love the residents so much. One of the most difficult decisions I made. This company is the best in giving me good opportunity to take classes in healthcare field. I love what I do now, direct care to residents. I owe this to people from different department that encouraged and supported me.
Pros
Best company that gave me opportunity to earn some education in healthcare field.
Cons
No advancement in that department. Lack of communication among supervisors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Presbyterian Homes & Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight