Presbyterian Homes & Services Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work, long time staff makes it hard on new staff. Old staff does not follow rules or job duties, they make up their own rules.
HHA (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNOctober 8, 2018
New staff are treated terrible while older staff make up their own rules. No teamwork, they help their friends only and harass new staff trying to prove they are better. Always working short of staff so u never get your breaks or lunch. Never have i worked in such a bad place where the residents have to suffer because of the loss of staff, you never get to spend quality time with them cause u are so swamped with work you dont have the time.
Pros
Cons
Bad staff and management
October 15, 2018

Thank you for your past service to PHS and those we serve. We hear your concern about working short staffed and while we are proud of our relatively low turnover as compared to almost every other organization in our industry, we would love to see more people choose to stay longer and are constantly working towards improving our employee stability. Your experience with training and teamwork is concerning. We care about your experience and want to be a place that people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional more detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Unwelcoming staff
LPN (Former Employee) –  Spring Park, MNAugust 19, 2018
As a new nurse fresh out of school just starting out, during my first few days on my own with less than a week of training on the floor. I could officially say I knew the meaning of "nurses eat their young". The nurses training me were great, the nurses I worked with on my shift were great. But some of the other nurses weren't welcoming at all. Literally went home one day crying, thinking about looking for a new job or a new career entirely. I'll never be like that, I know that much. This place ruined nursing for me. I'll for sure never work in another nursing home again unless it's an office job/upper management position.
Pros
Raises, employee appreciation, residents, discounts for school
Cons
Other staff members, training schedule
August 27, 2018

First, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are incredibly disheartened to hear that your experience nearly extinguished your passion for serving older adults in the nursing field. While we understand that online job boards are a good outlet to share your feedback, we hope that you felt supported and confident enough to share this information with the management in your community before making the decision to leave. In any case, your feedback will be shared anonymously with the management team in an effort to continuously improve the employee experience.

ADMINISTRATOR INTERN/PRACTICUM (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNNovember 23, 2018
Provided an excellent experience for a nursing home administrator practicum.

I completed a 400 hour practicum at Presbyterian Homes of Bloomington and was completely satisfied with my experience.
Pros
Great exectutive leadership
November 26, 2018

We're glad you had a great experience and hope that it equips you for a career in aging services. Thank you for your service to PHS and those we serve!

From 5 stars to 3, stability needed
N/A (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 29, 2018
The beautiful Highland Park site, shared with the Sisters of St Joseph and managed by PHS, enjoyed a wonderful 4 year high of stability and high morale in an enjoyable home and work place for all. In the last year, the staff and their managers morale seems to have plummeted to a level worse than the first year we were open. This site has sadly become toxic again, full of department managers and staff who seem disregarded, smothered or feel under appreciated as they're looked down on with contempt. The employee dissatisfaction has begun to reverberate into the lives of residents. The frustration with the turnover (PHS claims doesn't exist) now echoes throughout our halls as resident's openly joke with staff "Are you quitting next?" Stability in our homes is deserved instead of parading banal platitudes. The Sisters, staff and residents all deserve a corporate office who intervenes before the bottom falls out, which is rapidly approaching.
Pros
A great community
Cons
Disingenuous
October 8, 2018

Thank you for your 5 years of service to Presbyterian Homes & Services and Carondelet Village since the beginning and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We will share your review with our Regional Human Resources and Operations teams to take a closer look. If you desire to share any additional detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Denise Sheets, Director of Recruitment & Workforce Strategy, 651.631.6193 or email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Terrible experience
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNJune 6, 2018
Overall I had a bad experience here. I had encountered a situation with one of the residents and I reported it and they didn't do anything to prevent it again. I still had to work with the resident and they didn't care. They also would not work around my school schedule. I had to skip a couple classes most weeks because they scheduled me because they were short staffed.
June 11, 2018

We understand that online job boards are a great way to leave reviews about companies and share your experience, and we really do appreciate it when current and former employees take the time to share about their experience. Your review is definitely one any employer would want to learn more about - and your experience certainly isn't what we had in mind when we created our employee promise stating that employees are the most important resource in our ministry. The appropriate people will be made aware of what you have shared. We value all opportunities to improve and wish you the best in your career.

Wonderful working with staff, residents and their families
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNAugust 5, 2018
Great place to work staff and residents are wonderful. Wish there was more opportunities for full time employment. Environment is busy but friendly staff is very helpful.
Pros
residents and staff
Cons
limited full time employment
August 13, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to review your employment at PHS. Although it looks like you are a former employee, we often find that many who leave PHS have found their way back at some point in another role - so please keep us in mind if you are ever looking for a new job. We love to welcome former employees back into the PHS family!

It was a nice place to work.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNMay 29, 2018
The residents are really sweet. There are a couple testy ones but for the most part, they make coming to work very easy. The work isn't hard and the other residential assistants really jump in and help each other out- which also makes it easy to come to work. I have worked at a variety of places and this location (MC) has been a very fulfilling job.
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and thank you for the role you have in our ministry of caring for older adults.

Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNMay 22, 2018
This job is not for everyone. Every day you are required to provide basic cares such as toileting and personal hygiene to residents. Management is very inconsistent. Mostly non-english speakers work here. It is a very physical job, but getting to know residents is very rewarding. Scheduling is difficult, and staffing can be hard to work with
June 7, 2018

Thank you for your service to older adults as a Nursing Assistant. This is such an important job and one that often doesn't receive the praise and thanks it deserves. I am sorry that you did not have the best experience with scheduling flexibility. We do care about your experience and want to be a place people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional more detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Great job
Home Care Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMay 7, 2018
I loved the culture and the other staff that I worked with. I really liked my job and got a lot of expierence doing different things. I didn’t like how they made my roll work as a CNA because a lot of times I felt like that was all I was doing. I also didn’t like being on-call 24/7 everyday of the year never felt like you had your own time.
Pros
co-workers, culture, residents
Cons
Pay, work life balanace, doing a lot of jobs that weren’t in the job discription
June 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. Work life balance is important and we understand that at times it can become imbalanced. Our ministry of providing care and service to older adults is a 24/7 operation, and we are grateful for the dedication of employees both past and present to make it happen.

Caring Environment
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNSeptember 12, 2018
Working for Presbyterian Homes & Services has been one of the best decisions of my life. I have found there to be a culture of of care and support for residents and have felt value as an employee.
September 17, 2018

We are glad to hear that you feel valued and supported. We are committed to an environment where employees are valued and empowered to make a difference. Thank you for your dedication to enriching lives and touching hearts!

Horribly managed and incompetent coworkers
Server (Former Employee) –  Hudson, WIApril 19, 2018
My experience at Woodland Hill campus was horrible. Hours were extremely inconsistent and coworkers often expected to have me take their shifts super last minute, and my supervisor always took the side of others. My coworkers didn't take the job seriously, and were extremely rude to the residents, as well as the negativity they brought back into the kitchen. The workplace was stressful and difficult to have a positive attitude. In addition, every time i went in for a shift, something related to general protocol had changed, and I was ill informed which often got me into trouble and added to my disapproval with management.
Pros
Very nice residents
Cons
Horrible management
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for taking time to leave this review. While it is difficult to address comments made on review sites, please be  assured that we do read every single review and do pass on feedback to others in order to make sure everyone at all levels fully understands what our people are saying about us.

Works as a team
Hospice Case Manager (Former Employee) –  VariedOctober 10, 2018
Relocation was the only reason I retired. This job was my ideal.I would have worked there for free but the salary was great. Education prvided as needed.
Pros
Family
October 15, 2018

Thank you for your service and for your feedback! We're glad your experience was a great one and hope that you will stay in touch with Pres Homes. You can keep up with us on social media or the www.preshomes.org/blog!

Good place but bad management and co-worker
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Park Heights, MNMay 17, 2018
The pay is fair. However, management is very bad. They never listen to my concern. A lot of drama there. Co-workers ( especially TMA) who worked there for a long time always complain about new ones. They should help CNA when short staffed.
Pros
Fair pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of management
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not have the best experience with your coworkers. We agree that working together to support each other is ideal and the best way to provide service. We care about your experience and want to be a place people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional more detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Fast paced, productive, enjoyable place to work
Suoervisor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNAugust 19, 2018
Good place to work. Room to advance and grow. Variety of people and cultures. Always good people to work with. Benefits are good as well. Opportunity to learn and grow.
August 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and more importantly, thank you for dedication to our ministry of serving older adults. We hope you continue to enjoy the relationships built and the opportunities to grow with Presbyterian Homes & Services!

workplace enviroment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNApril 2, 2018
I was responsible to give medications and do treatments on 21 residents during my employment at Grace Pointe Crossing. I would need to manage my time wisely, and give medication before breakfast and lunch. I was also responsible to do weights, skin assessments, monthly charting, daily charting, baths and feed residents when needed. Many days there was so much that needed to be done that there was no time for myself to get a break, and I would still leave late. Time management was key to having a good day in this care setting. I learned to have a game plan for the day, and go in early to read up on any new residents since there were so many resident to care for.
Pros
Most of the staff were team players and pleasent to work with.
Cons
Many tasks that needed to be done, but not enough time or staff to complete them.
June 7, 2018

Thank you for taking time to provide this feedback. The appropriate people will be made aware. We value all opportunities to improve and wish you the best in your career.

Human Interaction skills training helped me so much.
Dietary Aide/Server (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNMarch 19, 2018
It helped me developed my skills in Nutrition and Culinary but management in that department is not good. Clearly no advancement at all and work load not fair compared to wages I was getting. Love the residents so much. One of the most difficult decisions I made. This company is the best in giving me good opportunity to take classes in healthcare field. I love what I do now, direct care to residents. I owe this to people from different department that encouraged and supported me.
Pros
Best company that gave me opportunity to earn some education in healthcare field.
Cons
No advancement in that department. Lack of communication among supervisors.
Residents are awesome
Server (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAJune 19, 2018
Great place, great food, great people.
Need more raises.
And better taking care/ appreciation of employees.
Giving residents a choice of food, according to their diets.
Pros
Free Sunday brunch
Cons
Moving straight thru meals
June 25, 2018

Thank you for your service to the residents of PHS. In the role of a server you have the opportunity to closely interact with the residents and build strong relationships, we're glad you enjoyed this. Thank you for your feedback as we strive to develop the employee experience of PHS.

Great Place to Work -- if not in dietary
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNApril 3, 2018
I loved working with residents as a dietary aide at Presbyterian Homes. I was paid well for my role, the employees are all sweet people, and they made sure you were able to do and understand your job before sending you off on your own. A typical day would be you would show up, prepare tables, get the food ready and serve, clean the dining area then return to the kitchen, then you would clean the kitchen, and then repeat and go home. I loved the environment and attitude of everyone there, the only issue I had was with the dietary management who let her emotions take over her work life and was not very understanding when it came to my chronic illness. One other con is as a dietary aide, you either got to work 3 hours or 8 hours a day, so it's tough to earn more than $250 a paycheck if you're a student. If I were to be offered the job again, I would definitely take it.
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write an honest review and sharing with others "a day in the life" of a dietary aide.

Fulfilling Environment
Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJuly 4, 2018
Enjoyable workplace and relaxed surroundings
Providing a amazing service to the community that lives there and
the warm welcome that accompanies sharing their experiences
August 13, 2018

Thank you for this very kind and genuine feedback. We agree that the work is fulfilling and meaningful. Although you are a former employee, we often find that those who leave find their way back at some point. We love welcoming previous employees back!

I had a great team to work with which made things alot better.
Nursing Assistant Certified (Former Employee) –  Oak Park Heights, MNFebruary 20, 2018
It was a very fast paced and sometimes stressful job. The Resident to CNA ratio was too I high I felt. It was anywhere from 10-13 residents per CNA regardless of care needs which was almost too much at times. We always seemed to be understaffed and the employee turnover was terrible. I had to work on the floor with over 25 residents by myself for hours at a time which meant that I had no time for breaks. I did get to work with a really great team that helped ach other as much we could so that made things not so bad.
Pros
Great team to work with.
Cons
Severely understaffed all the time.
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your past service to PHS and our residents and thanks for taking the time to write a review. We hear your concern about working short staffed and while we are proud of our relatively low turnover as compared to almost every other organization in our industry, we would love to see more people choose to stay longer and are constantly working on improvement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Presbyterian Homes & Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight