Presbyterian Homes & Services Employee Reviews

Works as a team
Hospice Case Manager (Former Employee) –  VariedOctober 10, 2018
Relocation was the only reason I retired. This job was my ideal.I would have worked there for free but the salary was great. Education prvided as needed.
Pros
Family
October 15, 2018

Thank you for your service and for your feedback! We're glad your experience was a great one and hope that you will stay in touch with Pres Homes. You can keep up with us on social media or the www.preshomes.org/blog!

Horrible place to work, long time staff makes it hard on new staff. Old staff does not follow rules or job duties, they make up their own rules.
HHA (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNOctober 8, 2018
New staff are treated terrible while older staff make up their own rules. No teamwork, they help their friends only and harass new staff trying to prove they are better. Always working short of staff so u never get your breaks or lunch. Never have i worked in such a bad place where the residents have to suffer because of the loss of staff, you never get to spend quality time with them cause u are so swamped with work you dont have the time.
Pros
Cons
Bad staff and management
October 15, 2018

Thank you for your past service to PHS and those we serve. We hear your concern about working short staffed and while we are proud of our relatively low turnover as compared to almost every other organization in our industry, we would love to see more people choose to stay longer and are constantly working towards improving our employee stability. Your experience with training and teamwork is concerning. We care about your experience and want to be a place that people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional more detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

From 5 stars to 3, stability needed
N/A (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 29, 2018
The beautiful Highland Park site, shared with the Sisters of St Joseph and managed by PHS, enjoyed a wonderful 4 year high of stability and high morale in an enjoyable home and work place for all. In the last year, the staff and their managers morale seems to have plummeted to a level worse than the first year we were open. This site has sadly become toxic again, full of department managers and staff who seem disregarded, smothered or feel under appreciated as they're looked down on with contempt. The employee dissatisfaction has begun to reverberate into the lives of residents. The frustration with the turnover (PHS claims doesn't exist) now echoes throughout our halls as resident's openly joke with staff "Are you quitting next?" Stability in our homes is deserved instead of parading banal platitudes. The Sisters, staff and residents all deserve a corporate office who intervenes before the bottom falls out, which is rapidly approaching.
Pros
A great community
Cons
Disingenuous
October 8, 2018

Thank you for your 5 years of service to Presbyterian Homes & Services and Carondelet Village since the beginning and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We will share your review with our Regional Human Resources and Operations teams to take a closer look. If you desire to share any additional detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Denise Sheets, Director of Recruitment & Workforce Strategy, 651.631.6193 or email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Caring Environment
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNSeptember 12, 2018
Working for Presbyterian Homes & Services has been one of the best decisions of my life. I have found there to be a culture of of care and support for residents and have felt value as an employee.
September 17, 2018

We are glad to hear that you feel valued and supported. We are committed to an environment where employees are valued and empowered to make a difference. Thank you for your dedication to enriching lives and touching hearts!

Unwelcoming staff
LPN (Former Employee) –  Spring Park, MNAugust 19, 2018
As a new nurse fresh out of school just starting out, during my first few days on my own with less than a week of training on the floor. I could officially say I knew the meaning of "nurses eat their young". The nurses training me were great, the nurses I worked with on my shift were great. But some of the other nurses weren't welcoming at all. Literally went home one day crying, thinking about looking for a new job or a new career entirely. I'll never be like that, I know that much. This place ruined nursing for me. I'll for sure never work in another nursing home again unless it's an office job/upper management position.
Pros
Raises, employee appreciation, residents, discounts for school
Cons
Other staff members, training schedule
August 27, 2018

First, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are incredibly disheartened to hear that your experience nearly extinguished your passion for serving older adults in the nursing field. While we understand that online job boards are a good outlet to share your feedback, we hope that you felt supported and confident enough to share this information with the management in your community before making the decision to leave. In any case, your feedback will be shared anonymously with the management team in an effort to continuously improve the employee experience.

Fast paced, productive, enjoyable place to work
Suoervisor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNAugust 19, 2018
Good place to work. Room to advance and grow. Variety of people and cultures. Always good people to work with. Benefits are good as well. Opportunity to learn and grow.
August 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and more importantly, thank you for dedication to our ministry of serving older adults. We hope you continue to enjoy the relationships built and the opportunities to grow with Presbyterian Homes & Services!

Wonderful working with staff, residents and their families
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNAugust 5, 2018
Great place to work staff and residents are wonderful. Wish there was more opportunities for full time employment. Environment is busy but friendly staff is very helpful.
Pros
residents and staff
Cons
limited full time employment
August 13, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to review your employment at PHS. Although it looks like you are a former employee, we often find that many who leave PHS have found their way back at some point in another role - so please keep us in mind if you are ever looking for a new job. We love to welcome former employees back into the PHS family!

Fulfilling Environment
Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJuly 4, 2018
Enjoyable workplace and relaxed surroundings
Providing a amazing service to the community that lives there and
the warm welcome that accompanies sharing their experiences
August 13, 2018

Thank you for this very kind and genuine feedback. We agree that the work is fulfilling and meaningful. Although you are a former employee, we often find that those who leave find their way back at some point. We love welcoming previous employees back!

good place to work
Lead aide or bath aide (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, IAJuly 2, 2018
All in all a very good place to work.They take care of the residents very well. The people you work with are generally good about helping with time off.
August 13, 2018

Thank you for this feedback. The services you provided are very important and needed. Thank you for your dedication.

Residents are awesome
Server (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAJune 19, 2018
Great place, great food, great people.
Need more raises.
And better taking care/ appreciation of employees.
Giving residents a choice of food, according to their diets.
Pros
Free Sunday brunch
Cons
Moving straight thru meals
June 25, 2018

Thank you for your service to the residents of PHS. In the role of a server you have the opportunity to closely interact with the residents and build strong relationships, we're glad you enjoyed this. Thank you for your feedback as we strive to develop the employee experience of PHS.

Terrible experience
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNJune 6, 2018
Overall I had a bad experience here. I had encountered a situation with one of the residents and I reported it and they didn't do anything to prevent it again. I still had to work with the resident and they didn't care. They also would not work around my school schedule. I had to skip a couple classes most weeks because they scheduled me because they were short staffed.
June 11, 2018

We understand that online job boards are a great way to leave reviews about companies and share your experience, and we really do appreciate it when current and former employees take the time to share about their experience. Your review is definitely one any employer would want to learn more about - and your experience certainly isn't what we had in mind when we created our employee promise stating that employees are the most important resource in our ministry. The appropriate people will be made aware of what you have shared. We value all opportunities to improve and wish you the best in your career.

It was a nice place to work.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNMay 29, 2018
The residents are really sweet. There are a couple testy ones but for the most part, they make coming to work very easy. The work isn't hard and the other residential assistants really jump in and help each other out- which also makes it easy to come to work. I have worked at a variety of places and this location (MC) has been a very fulfilling job.
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and thank you for the role you have in our ministry of caring for older adults.

Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNMay 22, 2018
This job is not for everyone. Every day you are required to provide basic cares such as toileting and personal hygiene to residents. Management is very inconsistent. Mostly non-english speakers work here. It is a very physical job, but getting to know residents is very rewarding. Scheduling is difficult, and staffing can be hard to work with
June 7, 2018

Thank you for your service to older adults as a Nursing Assistant. This is such an important job and one that often doesn't receive the praise and thanks it deserves. I am sorry that you did not have the best experience with scheduling flexibility. We do care about your experience and want to be a place people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional more detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Good place but bad management and co-worker
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Park Heights, MNMay 17, 2018
The pay is fair. However, management is very bad. They never listen to my concern. A lot of drama there. Co-workers ( especially TMA) who worked there for a long time always complain about new ones. They should help CNA when short staffed.
Pros
Fair pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of management
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not have the best experience with your coworkers. We agree that working together to support each other is ideal and the best way to provide service. We care about your experience and want to be a place people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional more detailed feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org.

Great at first... BUT
Server (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNMay 17, 2018
I worked as a server in one of the MN locations. I worked there for over 2 years and it was my first job. I will say it was one of the greatest experiences I’ve had. UNTIL- I had trouble with a coworker and then management took sides of the situation and began to play favorites and treat people less kind.

It started to go downhill after about 1.5 years of working there. It is very unfortunate but I wouldn’t say it’s too terrible of a place to work. It IS very difficult to work short staffed, which was frequent. The demands are high and it can be hard to accomplish daily tasks.

It is so wonderful to create relationships with the residents.
I volunteered prior to being hired and I think that was a bonus- but even then the residents will treat you well and are usually, not always understanding.

*If you build a great relationship with some of the residents, they sometimes give you treats ;)*

I would absolutely recommend this as a first time job or a side job! The pay does not support a family or bills too well but it is nice for a side gig.
Pros
Great residents, chill coworkers, and AMAZING food
Cons
Management, low pay
June 7, 2018

I'm sorry you felt that management took sides rather than finding a solution. Thank you for providing your honest feedback. We agree that building relationships with those we serve is the greatest gift of this work. We wish you the best in your career.

It’s long term care....
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 15, 2018
Some campus’s were better than others. Too much money put into upper management and not enough into resident funds and floor staff. Not very flexible and pay was not well.
Pros
Cons
Short staffed all the time
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not have the best experience of PHS. We care about your experience and want to be a place people love to work. If you are willing to share any additional feedback with me I would welcome the opportunity. Please send me an email at dsheets@preshomes.org if you are willing to talk. If not, I understand, but want you to know your feedback is appreciated. Denise

Relaxed, fun, and very welcoming place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMay 14, 2018
PHS has very many locations. Something for just about everyone. Faith based. Room for growth. Daily prayer with all staff. Benefits are great. 32 hours is considered full time.
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and be an ambassador for PHS. Most importantly, thank you for the role you have in our ministry of caring for older adults!

Great job
Home Care Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMay 7, 2018
I loved the culture and the other staff that I worked with. I really liked my job and got a lot of expierence doing different things. I didn’t like how they made my roll work as a CNA because a lot of times I felt like that was all I was doing. I also didn’t like being on-call 24/7 everyday of the year never felt like you had your own time.
Pros
co-workers, culture, residents
Cons
Pay, work life balanace, doing a lot of jobs that weren’t in the job discription
June 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. Work life balance is important and we understand that at times it can become imbalanced. Our ministry of providing care and service to older adults is a 24/7 operation, and we are grateful for the dedication of employees both past and present to make it happen.

Easy and fun job working with elderly
Dietary Aid (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, MNMay 4, 2018
serving residents meals
cleaning up dining rooms
stocking households
very clean environment
friendly employees
very nice residents
a fun and steady workplace
June 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and thank you for the role you have in our ministry of caring for older adults!

Often short staffed
Clinical Administrator Assisted Living (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 29, 2018
Often times short staffed. Upper management does not support direct care staff or front line leaders very well. Works staff very hard for modest compensation until they get worn out and leave.
June 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your past service to PHS and our residents and thanks for taking the time to write a review. We hear your concern about staff shortages and while we are proud of our relatively low turnover as compared to almost every other organization in our industry, we would love to see more people choose to stay longer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Presbyterian Homes & Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight