Presbyterian Senior Living Communities Employee Reviews

Incompetent higher ups
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Newville, PAJanuary 26, 2019
Residents did not receive care that they should have, nursing was consistently understaffed, employees often asked to come in on days off, bosses did not take complaints seriously, nothing would be done. Rules did not apply to all employees, some could call off as often as they wanted. Some management does the best they can.
Pros
Some coworkers, some management
Cons
Short staffed, unable to keep people
January 29, 2019

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. Our employee handbook specifies our employment guidelines to all of our staff members so that everyone is informed of all of the policies and procedures. In the event of an inconsistency with policy enforcement, our community HR staff can investigate as necessary.

mini-hospital with no staff
RN (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJanuary 10, 2019
yet another nursing home who is operating like an ICU without the staff to do the work. Company will not spend the money to hire people for a step down level unit, which should be 4 patients to one nurse. Its 30 to 1 and impossible to complete assignment with any degree of competence. Nurse is always wrong, no matter how thin they spread you, and no appreciation or employee retention whatsoever.
Pros
Cons
all
Beware! PSL tolerates inappropriate and unprofessional behavior.
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Dillsburg, PANovember 28, 2018
PSL has a great mission and a lot of really wonderful employees. Unfortunately, senior management doesn't address inappropriate and unprofessional behavior in the workplace that makes staff uncomfortable. They provide training encouraging staff to report the behavior but then doesn't take any meaningful steps to eliminate it. There is a lot of chatter about it so everyone is aware of it but no one does anything.
Pros
Good compensation, benefits
Cons
You will have to tolerate inappropriate behavior
December 4, 2018

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. Senior management is committed to providing a caring, supportive environment for both the residents we serve and the employees who work hard to fulfill our mission every day. Our staff members are encouraged to report any inappropriate behavior to their supervisor, community administration, or human resources. If the behavior is not addressed appropriately, staff members can file a report to our corporate human resources department for immediate investigation.

Great at first until leaving
Charge Nurse LPN (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PANovember 12, 2018
Clean and friendly atmosphere. One of the most organized places to work for. I think a lot of LTC facilities should follow how things are done at this LTC facility as far as organization, duties and med administration. I was able to use my education to the fullest and felt like I was able to use all of my nursing skills that I have learned. Management was very personable and you felt like you where at home when you entered the door. I was able to talk to the ADON and DON without feeling nervous to do so, they where always warm and welcoming. Always opertunities to further your education, for example I was able to get certified for the nurse aid training program in hopes to help teach the class. One complaint I would have is trying to get on a different shift or advance to another position was next to impossible. They even hired out of house for a posting I applied for in-house after the administrator said they where so excited to see me apply for it. I also didn’t like how things where handled during my last 2 week period of being employed.
Pros
Warm atmosphere and clean as well as organized
Cons
The pay was low, career advancement and worked short most of the time due to staffing issues.
Not the greatest place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philipsburg, PASeptember 6, 2018
The only reason i work here is because i need the money and the residents deserve better. Staff here are the worst I've ever dealt with. Extremely rude to new staff. Management looks for any reason to over stress new staff. Also have borderlines workplace harassment. I've been here 9 months and its been too long.
Pros
You can pretty much work yourself to death if you'd like
Cons
They treat you terrible for picking up and doing more.
Awful, Hostile Environment
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAAugust 28, 2018
Though I was contracted in, the atmosphere was very negative and soul-sucking. There was awful employee turn around because overall management was selfish and generally not decent people. For being a Christian organization, it makes me sick. The few good people and employees are treated like garbage. Working there was the darkest time in my adult life.
Pros
Met some lovely people
Cons
Terrible management, no loyalty, two-faced individuals
No advancement
Laborer (Current Employee) –  PAAugust 24, 2018
Don't expect to come here and advance in your career. There is absolutely NO room for advancement no matter how many positions or departments you apply for. Even if all your coworkers, managers, and residents rant and rave about how great of an employee you are. They prefer to hire unqualified candidates that are family members of upper management than to advance from within. I would NEVER recommend this place to work if you are looking to further yourself!
Pros
Paid time-off, residents, co-workers
Cons
No advancement, upper management, lack of hiring people who work as a team
Lpn
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Indiana, PAAugust 9, 2018
DON and ADON help out when needed. Treated with respect. Your voice is heard. They always recognize staff for the hard work. They give us gifts for appreciation. If you work over they pay extra incentives. Best place i have worked in a long time.
N/a
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dillsburg, PAJuly 31, 2018
Presbyterian canceled there 403-B plan within 3 months of my employment indefinitely.

My immediate manager was great to work for very personable understanding and innovative.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
unbalanced work load
i loved my time here
LPN TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAJune 19, 2018
PSL Hollidaysburg was the first facility that made me feel like i was a part of their family. the management was welcoming and educational. the staff immediately accepted me as a new member and were incredibly helpful learning my new environment. i completed three years of employment here and not once did i consider leaving for another job. the mission of the company tends to get lost in the business and management has a habit of expecting a lot in a short amount of time but on an employee level this is a wonderful place to work.

Want to know more about Presbyterian Senior Living Communities?

Ask a question
Absolutely wonderful!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philipsburg, PAApril 24, 2018
Ive worked here for a year and a half and I have yet to find another company as good as this one! Management is okay but really the coworkers are what makes it wonderful. The work load is low compared to other companies. Coworkers are always there to help eachother. I absolutely love it here.
Pros
coworkers, workload small, etc
Long stretches, long hours, not enough helping hands.
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  MIApril 20, 2018
worked 10-14 day stretches frequently with 12-14 hr shifts regularly. Rarely got my scheduled weekends off, underpaid and under staffed. I loved working at presby for the first year or so but it has went down hill tremendiously. Upper managment doesnt care at all, and staff moral is super low.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Understaffed, over worked, and lousy upper managment
Hard work.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAFebruary 13, 2018
Stressful. Working the night shift was hard. Expected to do way too much in the mornings. Several showers, and wash ups. Daylight was ungrateful and rude. Afternoon shift is burnt out and lazy. Night shift is burnt out and expected to pick up all the slack. No team work. Favoritisim. No real supervision on afternoon shift or night shift. Nurses refuse to help.
fast paced and enjoyable
Activity Director/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Holly, MIDecember 29, 2017
I loved working there...I saw the residents as they moved in and got to know them and their families. And I was a guest in their facility...they lived there..
Pros
didnt feel like work, very enjoyable
Cons
hated it when they passed away.
My overall review...
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PADecember 26, 2017
With the demands of the job you are at a constant pace to successfully try to complete your assignment and leave with a feeling of a job well done. I have learned that we are all just one step away from being in a situation that could cause us to have to depend on a caregiver to help us with our most basic needs. The hardest part of the job was trying to give quality care because of the many demands required of the CNA. The Director of Nursing was very helpful to work out any problems that might arise. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many amazing senior citizens, they are so full of wisdom.
Pros
helping people
Cons
work load
Awful
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Easton, PADecember 11, 2017
Employees are treated like trash on a hot day by management. If you're lucky they'll pretend to care. Don't work here if you have a life outside work. You get four sicks days, one call off on the weekend is counted as two call off and a write up. This includes employees who haven't missed a weekend in five years. You get to watch the favorite employees receive gifts such as gift cards meanwhile some people bust there butt and don't even get a thank you. Theres this joke called the employee survey where you bring up important issues in the facility so they can work on them. These surveys are a waste of your time because not a single thing gets corrected. If management decides they do not like you watch out they'll begin to look for a reason to write you up. Lets say something comes up where you'll need to leave ten minutes early for a couple months. Not with PSL you can't alter your schedule ten minutes. Don't worry you'll make up the hours when you have to stay late because the work load is meant for two people. These communities are always short staffed. You'd think management would be understanding that sometimes a couple small things don't get don such as changing a toilet paper roll. They do not care you can be doing the job of three and if its not 100% complete you'll be in trouble.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Everyone running the place, no room for advancement, low pay, now sick days, short staffed
Upper management was awful
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 17, 2017
Campus administrator was one sided and worried only about himself. Awful employees treated better than ones who came to do their job. Ran through middle management fast because of the administration. Turn over is very high.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Divided departments. No real leadership.
It's a great place to work!
Left Night Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Indiana, PAOctober 16, 2017
It is fast paced, but I like that! It definitely is very med/surg like in one of the neighborhoods, but only occasionally in the other neighborhoods. Staff is great! Our DON is amazing and never asks staff to do anything they would not do! You can find our DON and ADON on the floor at any given occasion! Our management team makes you feel heard and they are very approachable, they build you up and not tear you down! They want you to succeed and the provide the tools for you to succeed. Can it get a tad overwhelming at times? Sure, but the team work makes the dream work!
Pros
Great Leaders, Great Staff, Great Team Work!
Cons
I haven't found any yet!
Hostile work enviroment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Neville, PAOctober 12, 2017
The thing they teach us in training is they do not tolerate a working hostile enviroment! Well that's a lie! Some family members treat us like slime and we are suppose to take it and shut up! The cna's are the most overworked and overlooked. It's more cna abuse than at this place, than anything, and it's mainly from the family members of the residents. And corprate allows us to be humiliated. I'm glad I am not there anymore.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hostile work environment
Employees
N/A (Former Employee) –  PAOctober 7, 2017
Absolutely horrible, the co-workers are VERY RUDE. I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone no matter what their circumstances they’re under. Hard to get anyone here to willingly work with your schedule.
Pros
The residents are very nice
Cons
Bad employees
October 11, 2017

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. PSL is committed to providing a caring, supportive environment for both the residents we serve and the employees who work hard to fulfill our mission every day. We are always looking for ways to improve the employee experience across all of our communities, and will take your feedback to heart.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Presbyterian Senior Living Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7