PresenceLearning

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Excellent training, support, and therapy materials/platform.

Featured review

PresenceLearning selected this as a representative review
Great place to do teletherapy from home if you are looking for contract work. There are no benefits, and if you take a day off, you don’t get paid. The therapy materials/platform are incredible! They provide training and services ongoing support, including instant tech support during therapy hours.

Pros

Set your own schedule and work from home.

Cons

No benefits.

Worked in office until Covid

It was a great job, but was promised that I would be onboarding more members of my team. They kept promising me and promising me that it was coming. After a year, I got tired of doing the work of two people. Overall, it was a great job. I just don't know why we didn't hire more people.

Pros

Work Remote

Cons

Poor Executive follow-through.

Flexible, supportive environment

I am working in CA from FL. My schools have amazing teams. I am very part time and treasure the control over my schedule and caseload. The platform and library of activities are amazing. There is a substantial amount of onboarding training you must complete (unpaid). Just a word of warning, when I was hired in April for the following school year I was told I could turn down any position that didn’t seem to be a good fit as there were so many opportunities for what I wanted. Well, I turned down the first two in August and then nothing. At the end of September I was finally offered a position which I accepted. Overall, I’m pleased and the culture of both the schools and the company are great.

Overall a positive experience

I had solid a manager and worked with several good co-workers. I thought the pay was underwhelming, but it may have improved since I was there. They were still expanding at that time.

Best teletherapy company out there! Amazing therapy platform, clinical and tech support.

PresenceLearning has grown tremendously since I started with them several years ago, and I have been so impressed with how they continue to focus on clinicians and how we work. There are a couple of schools that I have returned to year after year, but then every year I add a new school or two, and I love that variety! The platform is amazing--my students are engaged and make great progress. Just like working for school districts in-person, "IEP season" can get pretty busy and sometimes schools ask for things to be completed on a pretty short timeline, but I appreciate that I have a lot of control over my schedule and when I've hit my caseload limit, I just let my clinical manager know that I am not open to any more assignments or student referrals. So much better than when I was working on the ground in a school district and I had no control over my caseload!

Pros

Control over my schedule Wonderful clinical and tech support Amazing therapy platform

Cons

I'm not an employee, so no medical benefits, but being an independent contractor allows me much more freedom overall to work as much as I want.

Full schedule, high indepency, unrealistic time allotment expectations.

Plenty of hours available to fill up your schedule. The online platform is easy to navigate with increasing library of materials. Initially the scheduling seems flexible enough. You provide your hours of availability and are assigned districts based on the same. However, once you've received your assignments, it is expected that you are to attend meetings, complete paperwork, write progress notes, and be responsive outside of your scheduled hours. As far as scheduling goes, you are at the mercy of the student school schedule. Consequently, there will be many breaks throughout the day. They can be a small as 15 minutes and as long as hours. During this time, you are basically tethered to your computer. You can try to use this time to catch up on paperwork, preparation, etc. But, the interruptions are frequent. (Emails, phone calls, etc)The company calculates what they consider is a reasonable time for you to complete all of the work for your caseload. This calculation is grossly inadequate. Take this into account when you're looking at your hourly wage.

Pros

Virtual therapy, easy to navigate platform, and instant caseload.

Cons

Working when not available with unreasonable expectations regarding time allocation.

Supportive and flexible

Tons of support and the platform is amazing. The lead slp was very responsive and very helpful. The platform was easy to navigate and full of engaging activities.

Pros

Supportive staff and easy platform with tons of activities

Cons

Low pay

Look elsewhere if you want to get paid what you are worth

This is my 3rd year with Presence Learning and again, no pay raise. This year, though, instead of a raise, we all got copies of the owner's new book, The Good Boss. It is a book about supporting women and working mothers in the work place. How about we REALLY support women and working mothers by PAYING THEM WHAT THEY ARE WORTH instead of just writing about it in a book???I have been working in the speech language pathology field for so long, I am near retirement, yet I am paid like I am a CFY. I am bringing YEARS of experience into this job, yet I am compensated like I have no experience. The ONLY thing keeping me at Presence Learning is their platform. If they lose that, they lose me.

Pros

Platform

Cons

Salary

Amazing place to work!

PresenceLearning is a welcoming, supportive company. Everyone is willing to help at any time and it seems all employees are here because of our mission to help students. Overall, I love working at PL!

Pros

Great people, awesome benefits, a mission we can all support.

Cons

None.

Bottom line-money and keeping contracts over student's best interest & staff

Great job in regards to flexibility and creating your own schedule. Very little training/onboarding. Fair pay, but for those with experience pay is low. Good platform-that may be the only real plus. Managers change frequently and offer little support. 2 great managers who advocated for staff and students disappeared quickly. Will put the pressure on their contractors even when the school is out of line and not following guidelines. PL stood behind one school that is notorious for poor treatment of staff(borders emotional abuse), not following IEP guidelines , lying to parents about their rights and plan. PL throws their own contractors under the bus and would not stand up for them. I don't think the company is aware of what social workers do and definitely do not have anyone there to support them. Good luck if you have a crisis and need support they have no clue what to do. Not all assignments are the same and some schools have high turnover. No loyalty when you stick it out and go above and beyond for the company! So much more - just beware. If you care about the families, students and ethics this may not be the job for you, especially if you get assigned to a school is extremely unethical! Gave 2 stars b/c the flexibility and nice families - not the company.

Pros

Flexible schedule. Good for someone new in the field. Good platform

Cons

Poor management No loyalty Money over contractors and students

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at PresenceLearning?

Little room for advancement

Lack of benefits and pay scale seems to be going down rather than up. PL no longer helps cover the costs of cross licensure. Hours are kept very secretive until an assignment is given

Takes advantage of therapists

Presence learning takes advantage of therapists by offering a “flexible” schedule but very low rate. Presence does not pay for any on boarding time and requires you to do about 10-14 hours of work/training to start— unpaid. Presence pays SLPs currently less than I made as a new grad 10 years ago. Presence pays 1x a month. The CEO recently sent out a letter “concerned” that working moms left the presence learning workforce to care for their families. I think they left the PL workforce to work for other companies that pay more— I’d suggest working for companies that pay more instead of PL.

Pros

Make your own schedule

Cons

Low pay, disorganized

lack of support

I was provided services for a residental school in Maine. Most of those students had complex needs and I did not feel like was given much support on how to engage those students on an online platform.

Pros

scheduling flexibility, being able to work from home

Cons

missed coworkers and in person interactions with students.

An 'okay' company to work for

Their platform for providing online therapy is pretty good and they also have good tech support for providers. I also liked that they had a substantial library of therapy activities. One of the downsides of working for this company is the same as it is in all school settings. The problem is that a lot of work has to be completed unpaid. All school districts require A LOT of paperwork to be completed yet, at the same time, they're always telling providers that they want us to spend 80% of our working hours doing direct client care and only 20% indirect. This is actually impossible with all of the paperwork requirements in special education. You just end up doing a lot of the paperwork for free and I am tired of this.

Pros

great therapy resources, lots of available technical and non-technical help and support

Cons

pay is relatively low, expected direct to indirect ratio of care is unrealistic

Flexible

I enjoyed my time working for PresenceLearning and it was a great introduction to teletherapy. If you are not organized with paperwork and time management, this is not the job for you. However, if you are organized, you will be able to provide services to students across the U.S. of different ages. The platform is incredibly easy to use and I learned something new everyday.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, work from home

Cons

Hourly pay instead of salary

Therapists are disposable here

Check out their other reviews on other review sites--very obvious they've asked upper management and CAMs to write reviews because as a basic SLP the work environment is awful. You are disposable and they can't wait to get the next person in if you are slow on paperwork because you have to track every little detail to get paid. After the job is done they demand more paperwork to get done without pay--the only reason it isn't done is because obviously there wasn't enough paid caseload management time.

Pros

working from home

Cons

low pay, treated as disposable

Great proprietary technology and great people.

Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at PresenceLearning were okay - but not what I think SLPs are worth by the hour, even in the lower paying educational (vs the traditionally higher paying medical) setting. There was no opportunity to work full time with benefits - it was all contract/hourly work. That's why I left in the end. If they'd had full time work with benefits, I'd probably still be there!CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at PresenceLearning (2017-2018) was easy - there were multiple ways to reach colleagues online and receive almost instantaneous ideas for creative things to do in therapy, answers or suggestions for thorny cases or situations (all without sharing PII), or give/receive a shout out.

Excellent Company!

I have worked with Presence Learning for over three years. Their training modules are clear and helpful. They offer clinical, technical, and billing supports. The compensation for work is competitive. I love that it allows me to work remotely and have a life/work balance to meet the needs of my family.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

No Healthcare or Retirement Plan

***Avoid at all costs***

Teletherapy has a potential to be a great way of delivering speech services. It was apparent this company doesn't care about the quality of therapy or value their therapists. Their concern is the amount of money they can bring in. PresenceLearning is run like a mill. You get passed from department to department and the initial people that contact you are unprofessional. It's apparent they do not even know what speech pathologists do or the amount of training they have. No one even bothers to take the time to personalize any communications with you- they just keep sending you auto-generated emails. This is a low pay, no benefit, 1099 operation. They will not provide you with any detailed information about the jobs or availability of hours until you go through the entire "onboarding" process. This means hours of unpaid training and money out of your pocket for liability insurance and state licenses you may or may not even need! I had major RED FLAGS about this company right away. I encourage SLPs to look elsewhere if you are seeking an employer that values your skills. This is done by only hiring SLPs for jobs you know you have available, offering your therapists benefits and providing pay for the hours of training you require just to get "onboarded."

Pros

You could set your own hours....if you get any?

Cons

No personalized service, They don't seem to value or care about the therapists, No benefits, No guarantee of hours, 1099 work, Low pay

Productive and fulfilling company

This company provides a supportive environment where employees feel safe to share new and innovative ideas while growing their own skills and knowledge. It feels great to work for a company that not only helps students around the country who may not otherwise receive help, but also one that supports my career goals.

Pros

Strong leadership team, collaborative environment

You choose your assignments based on?

Great company. Not much of a match process with schools however and that may pose a problem. I learned I could readily adjust to many changes in expectation, which was very difficult at times, especially under great time constraints and professional pressure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PresenceLearning. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at PresenceLearning.
Powered byComparably

Compare PresenceLearning with

Learn about PresenceLearning in popular locations

• PresenceLearning