Pret A Manger

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Worked for more than 5 years and I feel like the only thing I got from them is depression

Don't get me wrong, if you are lazy and don't really care about what you are doing, you will find this job like every other job. But of course, everyone who cares about the job - will hate you. I can't express myself correctly on how many people like that we had and it was the biggest pain in the a**.However, the job itself is ridiculous. Before all the covid drama, although you had difficult days and you were stressing and running like a donkey, at least the pay was nice. After they cut the brakes, food allowance and etc. you started earning last money than before. Which doesn't make any sense as everything else increased in price. the job got harder and harder as they fired tons of people. They don't even have a recruitment centre anymore. They expect the managers to deal with everything like they don't have enough stress already.Overall, I am really disappointed by how this company went downhill. Of course, the people you work with become like a family and you don't want to leave. It becomes like a cult. And Pret makes sure to use that. Recently they brought back 1 pound bonus, which is simply just a joke. If you do like a fast-paced environment, you like working with food or customer service, you can find way better somewhere else. I don't recommend wasting your life there.I have been working there for more than five years, and I have never felt meaningless in life as much as I do now.

Pros

easy to get the job for anyone

Cons

stress, anxiety, low pay

Worst company I’ve ever worked for

Pret has a terrible bully culture. You will meet many good people along the way but the people above you will act superior. Stay away and do yourself a big favour. Go, do thing that you love or wish to do. Do not waste your time for this terrible company. You will get very little back!

Cons

No good for freshers or for longterm

Very high turnover that you never sure who turn up next day. Exploitation on every level. Unsafe workplace, no one wears a mask and social distancing is virtually impossible.

Cons

Fear driven management, lack of staff, no health and safety

Very poor pay compared to workload

I worked a standard of 60 hour weeks without ever stopping. Working for Pret is like running a marathon and having nightmares to not wake up from. Do yourself a favor and work elsewhere.

Pros

Cons

Exploitation

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Do not recommend

Worst job I’ve ever had. 90% of the job is cleaning and walking up the stairs. The manager and most team members are so rude and always looking down on you. Literally came home crying every single day lol

Pros

yeah the food

Cons

everything else

Slavery

In Pret were expected to work harder for less pay. Everything has gone worse for everybody, but ops manager and ceo make the money. I walked out of my shop after constant battering from my manager. Terrible company and expectations.

Pros

Nothing whatsoever

Cons

Everything you hate in a workplace

I found a new job, I resigned, I'm very happy :)

I worked for Pret three years with the last year worst in the company. I am very happy to have found a new job in another area. The work is so hardcore and no room to make mistakes, but we never have enough team members. I don't want to see Pret ever again.

Pros

Resigning :)

Cons

Exploiting workers is what Pret can do best

Pret

Basically anyone that walks in the door can do the job you're doing and will be hired if they apply. They don't notice if you're doing an awesome job only when you do a poor job. My friends make fun of me and customers are annoying cause they wait so long.

Pros

weekly pay

Cons

pay is not worth working there

Stressful unfriendly

Pret is like an army if you don’t work as hard as possible you will have 3 leaders and two managers on your back.Still you have to fake that you happy and smiling all day long.Shift starts from 5 am so by the time you finish you are so tired that you can’t do anything else but sleep.Money are not worth it.You will earn more in Starbucks with less headache

Pros

Free work sheos

Zero stars

Absolutely horrible place to work. I’ve worked for 4 locations under diffrent managers and it’s all the same. Upper management has zero regard for employees, you are a cog in a broken down and failing machine. Very greedy all they seem to talk about is how much money we need to make and how little they care about anything else

Pros

Location, plant based milk

Cons

Every thing I mentioned and more ... Look for alternative not pret

Getting worse and worse

Not recommended company. Salary, atmosphere, benefits are on bottom .Staffs still there, because did not find other job ,yet.

Pros

Cons

Long, stressful hours. Management just squeeze out your energy, but no motivation nothing at all.

Team members

It can be very toxic place to work If you are not from east Europe or Italy you are soo gonna be bullied... if you have a better place to go, please do so, otherwise don’t say I didn’t know it

Pros

Can’t think of one

Stressful place

They just push you like a robot and, they give time to make sandwichs (unrealistic time). They count the minutes that you spend in the toilet. Long hours and sometimes work 12 days in a row.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Stressful. No work-balance.

Sick and tired

If you want to work at Pret, know that they will work you to death and pay you very little for it. I got sick but my gm didn't believe me. Avoid Pret like coronavirus!!!

Pros

Nothing at all

Cons

Too many to think of

Stressful workplace

Since there is a new CEO in this company Pret is just going deeper and deeper. Team are stressing a lot, lots of incompetent poeple in management, which is also extra stress for the staff. They dicreased the minimum contracted hours, and also cancel a lot of benefits. Sended away thousands of people, without checking who they are and what they done for this company. Now they calling back them, but noone wants to work for them anymore.Such a shame you are Pret.

Unreliable

Now everything relating to the negative side of pret comes from specifically how the shop and it's team members were handled, this might not be the same for other branches, as it entirely depends on the management and atmosphere of the other branches. Team members were not encouraged to do better by a high majority of the managers. Coming into the store was often greeted by silence, people weren't smiling, having no urge to work together.

Pros

Location of branches close to home

Cons

See above

Poor company

Lack of accountability, low rates of pay, poor support, run down shops, tend to employ managers from outside company, rather than promote from within.

Hard with no reward

Very tough job, early shift at 4 a.m.Nightshift mandatory .Hard work of kitchen production with impossible deadline.Manager stressed and with impossible expectations.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Long hour and Rota

Best location.

Customers were very unusually challenging. Rules of dress code was changed few times by different managers. 2 or 3 different managers suggested 3 different types of employee dress code which got me confused & they finally convinced me not to wear skirts , but initially I was suggested by a manger to wear skirts for work.

Pros

Discounted meals for employees.

Cons

Very busy place. Trash cans fill up very fast.

The company is not run well

No communication. The inconsistencies, the constant changes, the lack of communication drives everyone insane. The entire kitchen staff don't speak hardly english so communicating with them is extremely stressful! The tm on till is also the barista so you are having to make drinks in addition to serving customer.

Pros

Learned to stay calm in extremely stressful shops

Cons

Poor management. Poor staff attitude.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Pret A Manger.
Powered byComparably