Pret A Manger Employee Review

View all Pret A Manger reviews

Constantly understaffed
Barista/Team Member (Current Employee) –  St AlbansApril 18, 2019
Worked in this company for a year.Typical day at work would be clearing tables,working on tills,coffee machine,making hot and cold food.This company promises you pay above minimum wage,but they will slave your for every extra penny,that they pay you.Manager constantly cutting hours,to get their bonus(managers only).So we are always understaffed.They have high standards to ask you to smile constantly and have everything perfect at all times,but by cutting hours some staff are forced to work for 3 people or so fast,that you are literally catching your breath and running a marathon from the minute you start to shift to the end of it.Constantly being dehydrated at work,because you are not allowed to keep your water bottle while working(often felt thirsty and having headaches).Sometimes didn't even have time to go to bathroom properly.And I have been used to hard work in busy places my whole life as I worked in fast paced food industry for more than 10 years.They have mystery shopper bonus,but lately it was also a fail as they will ask you allergen related question and you have to direct them to Team leader or manager so technically they will take over and you loose your chance for outstanding service bonus,which you can get if your service is excellent(100£ or 200£).The best part of this place was my colleagues,that I worked with.When I started,some of them were so experienced and working many years-I learned a lot from them.But through this one year at least 8 long term staff has left,few of them working 5 years at least because of manager,that doesn't care about their staff,doesn't  more... appreciate their hard work and and if she have personal dislike,she will sack you and find reasons how to get rid of you.I literally can't tell if my review is based on company overall or just this manager,but she surely has ruined my view at company,because I felt like I have been working so hard and literally multitasking to another level,where you are left on tills alone,quickly running to clear tables,wash china and trays,clean toilets,run to kitchen to make soups,come back make coffee,do the delivery,make sure you food display has proper amount of food available for sale,bake hoot food and above all the serve customers at the same time and manage to prepare to close shop,where you have to wash every table and chairs-sofas,floor,bin stations,toilets etc.(the area is huge).I have learned,how to travel in time here.Like I said I don't mind working hard apart from that You always end up late to finish your shift,which nobody pays for and if you leave unfinished ,you will get sacked or given note of concern.This lovely manager will give you note of concern for smallest things,that you do wrong,so prepare to be perfect or robot.She has also taken my bonus,when I arrived at tills 2 minutes late and never taken it from people,that she favours more for the same time of lateness.Never paid my minutes after I had to stay after my working hours,or she would go telling,that am bad staff.She lied about Christmas period holidays,when she told me no one is allowed to go on holidays,but 5 people was.Ended up few people working including me during the busiest season of the year,some of the got sick from overworking.Also finally let me to get trained on coffee for coffee start specialist during Christmas season(because she had no one else to work) and literally did not provide any training,because she was to busy for that.After Christmas period ended.when I asked If I can be promoted to barista,declined-said I not good enough for that-don't want to pay you more.So did not train me at all and expects master coffee specialist straight away.Just felt like I have been used to patch up her Christmas period time.Finally gone to all staff,that ever had some dislike with me and promoted them to write abusive and false letters about me,because I reported Christmas understaffed period to head office.The last straw,that I have had enough,is allowing for 11 months of the service I am there taking free coffee before I start to work and suddenly I have to pay for that.Why are you allowing it and then decide to not allow it anymore? and just for me,because the favorite staff she still allows it and even to give food outside their food allowance for girlfriends,family etc. Because of this she has yet again got me in trouble for creating situation,where she allows something,writes a complain,that I am doing something against her will and denies ,that she have ever said,that she allowed in first place.She doesn't care about nothing unless it's dollar signs in her eyes.Everyone,who she feels threatened by or have different opinion about something-she will eliminate.She is a boss,not a leader.  less
Pros
free food, paid brakes, weekly bonus
Cons
Bad managment

Other Pret A Manger Employee Reviews

It’s the People that makes the Company
Team Member Star (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 16, 2019
Overall I Did have good and bad times. some People really becomes Bitter because of power and some people wants to see you actually Grow in the Company.
Pros
Get out Early enjoy your whole day.
Cons
The way People Talk to you at times
Nice coffee shop with potential for growth
Barista Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2019
It was a great place to work and learn alongside many diverse team members. Everyone is very helpful and its a competitive pay type of work environment so there's always room for growth and promotion.
Pros
free lunch, decent breaks
Cons
long hours, lots of labor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.