Prime Group Storage Employee Reviews

Independent work environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 20, 2018
Prime bought my current location, and has made some great improvements. Growing company with room for advancement.
Supervisors are very responsive to questions and concerns.
*** Great benefits! ***
Pros
Great benefits / opportunity for advancement
Cons
none that I have found
unless you are new to the storage industry
told one thing but expected to be another (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 8, 2018
Throw everything you have ever learned about the storage industry out the window.
If you are green to the industry and prepared to adhere to all the rules, regardless of how you feel about them. You will do fine.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Lies from management. Then they would question why you lacked motivation.
Great people - growing company
Field Leadership (Current Employee) –  NorthEastMarch 20, 2018
This company is growing FAST, which means lots of opportunity for advancement, but also some growing pains in the process. Supportive people, collaborative environment, and inspiring leadership.
Pros
Flexible scheduled, awesome hours
Cons
401k isn't matched (yet)
Worst Job Ever
Asst Manager (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 1, 2018
What a horrible experience! Prime Storage bought an established, well-liked company and turned it into a dismal place to work. Management was the absolute worst I had ever experienced. Bad communication, immature unqualified supervisor and a whole lot of secrecy. Employees are played against each other. Poor job training and constant emails and notifications of new tasks to complete. Totally unrealistic goals, and corporate culture built on negative reinforcement. Don't even apply here, you will be promised one thing and then reality will be very different.
Pros
Cons
Almost everything, no kidding.
I love my job at Prime
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 18, 2018
I have been with Prime for a few years now and I don’t have too many complaints regarding the company or my position. I currently run my own facility and deal with my daily duties with no issues. For the most part the job is super simple but, you do run into some bumps in the road. I think it’s like that with any job. The company is constantly changing and you have to keep up with it but, no major changes to where it’s going to mess you up for the rest of your employment with the company. There can be some high school drama that goes around but, as long as you stay in your lane and don’t get involved you’ll be good. As long as I have been with the company I have been treated fairly and my district manager does not micro manage or hover over me like I’ve read in some of these reviews. As long as your getting your job done the Prime way, life will be good. I would definitely recommend this job if you have great time management and can work without someone holding your hand telling you what to do each day. You definitely have to be disciplined to work here.
Pros
Great Benefits, Bonuses, Semi Great Employees
Cons
High School Drama
Worst work experience ever!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  EastDecember 4, 2017
Welcome the new slum lords of storage. This is a company with no vision, no plan and no advancement opportunities unless you are female, and have a bachelors degree. If you enjoy reporting when and how long you will be in the bathroom to corporate this is the company for you! Do yourself a favor and take a job at McDonald's you'll be much happier and have the potential for an actual career...
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, Horrible properties, NO advancement opportunities!
Disappoining
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Malden, MASeptember 29, 2017
I feel extremely disappointed in the company. I had a great DM, but the upper management had no clue as to what was going on. They have a lot to learn about storage business.
Pros
Great Distric Manager
Cons
Unless you complain 100 times, nothing gets done
Avoid like the plague
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaAugust 8, 2017
In my district forget about it if you're not a female. Upper management only hires friends. They will not support or back you. Prime Storage group is what it wrong with big corporations in this country. Will pay you 13/hr to run all aspects of the property while other companies pay close to 20/hr to start. Move along and don't waste your time.
Prime Storage Overcomplicates things
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 30, 2017
- Standards/Procedures change on an almost daily basis.

-Inadequate training - was REFUSED any hands on training behind the actual desk, everything was from a packet

- We were negatively graded by corporate and middle management due to our lack of marketing ~ we had no marketing materials because corporate refused to give us any (no business cards or name tags) while they were considering a rebrand

- Was told to sign up for health/dental benefits on a particular day, turns out the day prior was the deadline to actually register (open registration wasn't for another 6 months).

- Middle management with completely way too much on their plate ~ 2 managers overseeing double digit stores in a 200 mile radius with very little communication between the two of them

- For 3 months my location was being negatively graded because we were not selling the extra insurance...we had never been setup to sell insurance and it was up to the same person docking us to schedule to appropriate training

- Unnecessary focus on procedures and doing things in their particular order & not the customer or their issue at hand ~ was very handcuffed by restrictions placed on me and the software used

- Had vendors who refused to work with us & applied late charges to our accounts due to unpaid balances from Corporate not cutting checks appropriately.

- Had problems with my pay and reimbursement for my travel to different locations

- 30 minute unpaid lunches

- One location during the winter had the heat break and the water service disconnected by the county after it was determined
  more... to be hooked up not to code. There was no heat, or running water to the office. A port-a-potty had to be placed at the facility. This problem persisted still up until I left 3 months later.  less
Pros
Autonomy, Straightforward, When you clock out you're done, Walking the lot everyday
Cons
frequent policy changes, sometimes telling you and sometimes not, There was a severe lack of communication throughout each chain of management and command, lack of adequate training
Great Company
Multi Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 26, 2017
Many opportunities for advancement, the company really tries to promote from within when they can. Management really tries to help, train, and coach as much as needed. The company is growing very fast and the policies and procedures change because of this, but upper management communicates the changes well.

Want to know more about Prime Group Storage?

Ask a question
Was a very good work experience
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Liberty, NYApril 11, 2017
New company that grew very quickly was challenging in a good way Bonuses,benefits,Paid Time off,Definitely gave you tools for success.Great work environment.
Pros
Bonuses, Benefits, Paid Time Off
Cons
Really did'nt have any
an unnecessarily difficult job
General Manager (Former Employee) –  CTFebruary 16, 2017
Managing a self-storage facility doesn't have to be as frustrating as it is at Prime, but their procedures make even the simplest tasks mind-numbingly tedious and taxing. Be prepared to wait weeks, months or even years to get any repairs done with their absurd bidding process. Also, if your facility has U-Haul truck rentals, you'll be expected to handle those as well as the storage end of the business- for the same pay as other Prime facilities that don't have U-Haul.
Prime upper management does a great job at micromanaging inconsequential minutiae while ignoring real, actual problems. Also, be warned: you're never going to see a raise. Ever. Proceed at your own risk.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
nonexistent tools for success, zero autonomy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Prime Group Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8