Prince George's County Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

Love my coworkers
Community Outreach Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDNovember 21, 2017
If you come in a do your work, you should no have any problems. It can be a fun place and a place of flexibility if you take care of business first. There is a time a place for everything. We get paid to work, so come in and do the work that you get paid to do and you'll be fine.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Can be stressful
Productive and busy
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDOctober 23, 2017
very fairly customers, very busy days, diverse, my most enjoysable moment working was assisting families with recieving the benefits. Nothing was to too hard, i made it my best!
Pros
na
Cons
na
Management was dedicated
Lead Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDOctober 6, 2017
This organization Management are there because they care about the community. The pay was not good. Some of the Managers had second jobs.

The State of Maryland pay is horrible and should be increased.
Pros
Work Balance
Cons
Pay
If you have a supportive supervisor, it makes the work a lot easier.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDSeptember 29, 2017
If you have a supportive supervisor, it makes the work a lot easier. The work that you do is not really compensated. Sometimes that caseload and clients can be challenging.
Pros
If you have a supportive supervisor, it makes the work a lot easier.
Poor Management and Chaotic Environment
Community Resource Advocate (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 11, 2017
If you have options of better paying jobs with benefits, I would suggest you go there. This job does not pay well, high stress level, no benefits (dental, eye, vacation days, sick leave, medicine, etc). Contract position. This is a temporary position and does not provide support for growth and longevity.
Pros
excellent opportunity to work with student and great coworkers
Cons
management
Great team-work & professionalism
APS Investigator/Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJuly 23, 2017
Allowed flex time. Supervisors are great with working with you. The goal is always to work to act out the mission of the department and to ensure the well-being of clients.
You Have to Love What You Do
Respite Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDMay 28, 2017
If you are looking for high staff moral in this organization, you won't receive it. If you are looking for management to support staff, do not expect it because more than likely they will throw you under the bus. My experience is to get your experience and leave, do not make this place your last place of employment.
Fast Pace
Foster Care Lead Worker II (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDMay 18, 2017
A typical day can be quiet one minute and crazy the next. The job can be very unpredictable. Case management for the foster care division can be very crisis driven.

I learned how to manage and prioritize my time. Timing is everything in this field of work.

The work place culture is not always supportive and can be very demanding. It helps to have supportive people to that you can vent too, in the time of crisis.

The hardest part of my job is managing crisis when they happen. At times you may have one or two going at one time. It is good to have a supportive supervisor and team around you to assist with crisis.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I have helped a child or family.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
High demands and deadlines can be unreasonable
Demanding job
Social Worker II (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDMay 2, 2017
Very stressful job with numerous responsibilities. Long work hours with unpredictable days. Management is semi supportive and the resources are very poor.
Pros
Ample comp time, flexible work schedule
Cons
Stressful clients, overloaded with responsibilities
I wouldn't recommend working here
Crisis Intervention Counselor (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDMarch 6, 2017
I had a contract position and for 10 years I could not move up in the company with a Master's Degree. I had no benefits at all including healthcare. There were alot of politics working for this agency.
Pros
N/a
Cons
no benefits if contract position, hard to move up based on knowledge and work ethic
Supportive Workplace with Flexibility
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDDecember 15, 2016
Working at the Department of Social Services as a case manager for almost two years afforded me the opportunity to expand my skill set. Prior to working at the Department of Social Services, I had never worked in case management. Case management, crisis intervention, family mediation, and client advocacy were just a few additional skills I learned while at this agency. Each client brought new challenges to overcome, which only helped me to grow professionally.
Review below:
Lead Worker 2014-present) (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDNovember 30, 2016
As lead worker of the Senior Care Program at the Prince Georges County Dept of Social Services, I have the responsibility and task of supervising four case managers which includes mentoring, reviewing case records, supervision, scheduling, as well as carrying my own case load of 21 seniors eligible for supportive services. In my role as case manager to the aforementioned seniors, I am responsible for the coordination, identification, and implementation, of supportive services to prevent delay the need for institutionalization.

The best part of this job has been to see the growth of those I supervise and the best part concerning my client's is hearing them say "thank you" and seeing them thrive in dignity, humility , and strength.

I have learned to be patient, organized, and to use time wisely as I have seen the years go by in my time here. I have grown tremenedously here an look forward to sharing my skills and expertise with the entity lucky enough to have me as a teamk member.
Pros
laid back environment, family oriented environment
Cons
no room for growth, pay
Enjoy working as a intern
Call Center Internship (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 8, 2016
The employees was really great and helpful to work with.
I learned so much and will love to start a career in working in a call center
Pros
teamwork
Cons
High Volume of paperwork and computed data entry
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJune 26, 2015
Daily data entry consumed most of the date.
telephone duty, forms invented, file management. Worked in small department and closely with two-four co-workers. This was a contract position, yearly evaluation and budget controlled. hardest part of job was keeping track of Appeals Dockets and distribution of constant lists. I most enjoyed the big demand for deadlines and various databases used, also the work never stopped, I was always busy.
Pros
Location, staff perks
Cons
contract position, no benefits
Always on the move
Administrative Assistant for Childcare Subsidy (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDApril 29, 2015
I love jobs where I can always be helpful to each and everyone. I have gain so much customer services skilles through the years always good to gain so many different experiences
Easy going and quit work place
Tier 1 Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDApril 29, 2015
I Been working for Department of Social Services for Awhile now. I have advance to several different departments love trying and learning new things.
Community Services
Asst. Prog. Man.Energy and Food Programs (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDMarch 9, 2015
Employee with the Department of Social Services for the past 25 years, I've learned a lot over the years, the hardest part of this job, trying to assist everyone in need of service, trying to save the world one household at a time.
Cons
job security
It's a good place to and learn
Service Linked-Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDDecember 2, 2014
Responsible for linking customers to services after exiting homeless programs. conducted intakes to analyze household issues and gathered resources to assist these families/individuals to retain permanent housing. Utilized Government Management Information Systems to obtain/input benefit information and to successfully document case management strategies. Constantly developed new relationships with service providers to create resources, and a network of assistance for eligible customers. Developed monthly, semi-annually, and annual reports for the Service Linked Housing Program. It's a very friendly place to work. My reason for leaving wanting to work closer from home.
Pros
I have learned alot.
Cons
You have no dental or vision benefits
I enjoy my off days working here
Administrative Assistant for Family Services (Former Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 10, 2014
this is a Voluntary position, Would like for to become permanent
Cons
Challenging workplace with interesting people.
Acting Fiscal Accounts Clerk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDMay 30, 2014
You will learn to work independently in a challenging atmosphere.
Pros
Diversified workplace
Cons
30 minute lunch with no places to buy from close by.