Prince George's County Memorial Library System Employee Reviews

A Fun Place to Work
Library Associate II (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDNovember 28, 2018
I enjoyed working for the System. I got to interact with customers of all ages in various branches in PG county and provide research and educational tools to many.
Great experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glenarden, MDAugust 13, 2018
Working was informational and very nice I learn a lot.
My boss was consistent. Their were no problems.the job was a good hands on experience.nothing was a problem.
Pros
I with little kids teaching then about libary.
Cons
Hard work.
Nice place to work
Clerical Aide (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDApril 4, 2018
PGCMLS is a fun, safe and exciting place to work with plenty of room for advancement. I loved the job security I had there and nice, friendly and helpful coworkers, I miss it there,
Pros
Plenty of room for advancement, job security, excellent pay.
Fast paced
AP Accountant (Current Employee) –  Largo, MDFebruary 12, 2018
A typical work day is very structured and fast pace. Since it's a small department, you will handle multple responsbilities that may cross with other positions. No career growthh potential becasue employees tend to stay.
It was fun
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDFebruary 7, 2018
The job was very fun. I almost always looked forward going to work here. I had some of the best coworkers and managers. My customers were always so kind and thankful for the help I gave them. Sure there were a few off days, but that is dealing with the public. Otherwise, the place was awesome. The pay rate was fantastic for my position. They offer merit based pay increases which was nice. The position called me full time, while I worked part time hours. Even while having part time hours, I was given the same full benefits as full time employees.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits
Productive and collaborative
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDDecember 5, 2017
Collaborative working environment clean with more hands-on . The IT department has the necessary tools to troubleshoot or make a system up and running.
Job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 22, 2017
Enjoyed working for my former boss. stickler for time though. great relationship with one other co worker. HR could use work. would consider working their again
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Hr
Enjoyable
Clerical Aide (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 15, 2017
Decent place to work, but not very much room to advance within the branch or company. The pay was decent, but the position was only part time. Management was bad.
Productive and full of Hands on
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Largo, MDAugust 7, 2017
PGCMLS is a good working environment, friendly and good for any IT personnel to develop his skills and mindset. I enjoyed working there. The IT tools use here are on point and up-to-date.
Productive workplace
South Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Largo, MDDecember 30, 2016
Great place to work. I enjoy the new ideas that are being promoted systemwide. Very diversified staff with many having 30 to 40 years of longevity. CEO is forward thinking.
Hardest Part of the Job
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 23, 2016
The hardest part of being a library assistant was having to find books in different sections. It was hard to find books that were out in different sections.
Pros
Long breaks
Fast-Paced Multitasking Environment
Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDJune 29, 2015
The mornings or before hours are pretty routine.
I learned to manage crisis situations and resolve issues in the database with clients library accounts .
Pros
Diverse group
Cons
inconsistent schedule
Fun place to work if you like books.
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDMay 7, 2015
Fantastic co-workers, you get to help people and open their minds to the wonderful world of literature. Watching a child come up to get their first library cards will bring a smile to your face every time because of their eagerness. Dealing with obnoxious teenagers and rude adults always makes your day a little bit longer.
Pros
all those books
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDApril 6, 2015
I enjoyed it until I relocated. The staff was quite helpful. This location was perfect. My day was quite busy I sometime did not know it was five.
Personal Opinion
Library Associate (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 24, 2015
If you have a knack for customer service and books this is a good place, but on an administrative side job is bad. Low morale in the workplace among co-workers. Been here since 2011 and have not had a raise even with superb evaluations. I have worked under an active construction site for the last 6-7 months. All buildings are poorly heated. Seems to be no direction and to much change in policy (like new policy and old policy change every week) so nothing is ever the same! So admin is no help neither is the Union who you call upon but they never show,never reply or call back
Pros
Good Healthcare Plan, Nice Customers
Cons
Everything Else
Something out of a horror movie.
Branch Staff (Former Employee) –  PG, MDSeptember 22, 2012
Rank and education discrimination, favoritism, swift suppression of ideas, concerns, complaints, and whistleblowing, 'do as I say, not as I do' mgmt., nitpicking, inconsistency in policies varying from branch to branch, even dept. to dept., incompetency in knowledge of and enforcement of own regulations, intimidation, harassment, psychological abuse, no concern for employee safety re: natural disasters, inclement weather, environmental hazards, etc. much less a comfortable temperature in work environment (w/funtioning a/c, etc.), juvenile treatment, daily criticism, no recourse from HR nor union (MCGEO 1994) for evidenced injustices, lax borrowing policies enabling rampant theft thus wasting taxpayer's and county's resources, etc., etc.
Cheating us out of Leave & overtime, clocking us in and out without authorization, disputing our time worked and clock in and out times, forcing only non-(college) degreed staff to clock in & out, denying permissible Leave benefits including Educational, therefore fraudulent disclosure of benefits, biased retaliation against whistleblowers, promotions based on chronyism instead of merit, etc., etc. The list could go on & on.
Pros
none.
Cons
too numerous to count. mainly: inhumane treatment.