Prince George's County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Hard Work
Pre-Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDDecember 12, 2018
Hard work but still rewarding work each day. Students and staff can be hard to work with but that is all part of education. Pay should be better for the work that we do.
Loved working with the students
Visual Arts Educator (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDDecember 6, 2018
Day to day processes at times posed a direct contradiction to the standards and guidelines set to ensure subject matter education. Not a lot of time allotted for projects.
Great days off no room for advancement
Benefits Assistant- Payroll & Benefits Services (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDDecember 4, 2018
I like the days off and the medical benefits. The pay is horrible and the job culture is horrible and they do not promote within. I would recommend this job for employees who retired not young motivated employees.
Pros
healthcare and days off
Cons
no promotion and no money
Enjoy feeding our future
Satellite Manager (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 28, 2018
It is with great pleasure that I'm employed with the National School Lunch Program through PGCPS. I enjoy preparing delicious and nutritious meals for the scholars ( Our Future ).
Pros
Free lunch
Fast paced, productive, enjoyable
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 23, 2018
Each day at work is exciting and fulfilling, Lots of opportunity to learn on the job and during professional development. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students progress.
Pros
Networking with colleagues
Cons
Sometimes great amounts of paperwork.
Best environment
Lead 8th Grade ELA Teacher (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDNovember 19, 2018
My review of Prince George's County public schools will increase the retention rate for teachers. It is the best place to start your career. I really enjoyed myself there.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Preparedness
Stable Work
CLERK TYPIST III AND SECRETARY II (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDNovember 16, 2018
Every office or school is unique, and therefore presents unique training and challenges. However, team members and management are always there to help you grow and matriculate in your skillsets.
Special Education Resource Teacher
Special Education Instructional Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, MDNovember 16, 2018
Long and stressful day typically. I really don't feel it is necessary to discuss my work atmosphere in PGCPS. It has really been a true professional awakening.
Pros
None to think of at the moment
Cons
Lack of Professionalism in the work place
Paying was low
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDNovember 15, 2018
Paying was not enough an bills was getting outrageous.An It Was A Temp Job So On Holidays when all the full time employees get paid I wasn’t because I was not full time.
Working with Kids
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDNovember 14, 2018
Substitutes aren't the most respected professionals in the world. Good for a part time or quick money if needed to maintain lifestyle. About $10 a day.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Stressful
PGCPS is a good place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tanglewood, MDNovember 14, 2018
I do not have complaints in PGCPS. It's a good place to earn training or work until you retire.Benefits are competitive. Opportunities for advancement is good.
Cons
flexible work schedule and summers off
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 13, 2018
I think it is good for parents who want to be on the same schedule as their children. the hardest part of the job is being flexible with a split schedule.
I wish to drive change in the field of education
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Md City, MDNovember 12, 2018
Productive at work.
I enjoy challenges. I am an administrator in training as I am pursuing a doctoral degree in educational administration. I hope to impact student learning
Great school and the love for the children was amazing
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDNovember 10, 2018
I have a special passion for children and they're learning. I felt as if the children were my own and if I made a difference in at least 2 children er day I knew I was doing my job to the foulest
Pros
working with children to better them
My Workplace Experience
Reading Specialist/Read 180 Instructor (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, MDNovember 7, 2018
A typical day for me at work is challenging. I am a Reading Specialist with a class load of four classes (grades 6-8). I teach a reading program called READ 180, The Next Generation. My schedule includes lunch duty in the morning. In addition, I have collaborative team meetings in the morning that I am required to attend.

Throughout my day, I've learned to organize myself in the morning before I do anything else. Therefore, when I enter the workplace, I sign in and check my mailbox. After that, I go to my classroom and set up my laptop and then read my emails. If there is a task or activity that has been assigned to me, I begin to write a to do list and prioritize the tasks according to deadlines that must be met. Once that is accomplished, I write my lesson on the board and place my lesson plan for the week on the door for the administrators to review. I go over my lesson plan and begin to take out materials needed for my lesson. Once that is done, I'm ready to receive my students and/or attend my collaborative team meeting.

The workplace culture where I work is very rigorous, fun and full of activities that are designed to reward and challenge students. The most difficult part of the job comes into play with the rigor of having lesson plans that include differentiation, using technology (google classroom, etc) and incorporating interactive activities as much as possible in order to provoke critical thinking. In addition, it is difficult to give students individual attention due to large class sizes of over thirty students.

Finally, the most enjoyable
  more... part of the job is capturing the attention of the scholars and answering critical questions that they have to broaden their knowledge base. I am satisfied with the way management and the administrative staff handles day to day concerns in a timely manner and incorporating activities that include parent participation. At the end of the day, it is a pleasure serving students and preparing them for a bright future.  less
Pros
Attending and coordinating field trips, activities and events.
Cons
Short lunch, having lunch duty and a full load of classes.
unorganized and poor management
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 4, 2018
PGCPS is extremely unorganized and lacks structure. Schools are run by individuals lacking basic managerial skills, communication skills, or people skills. No growth in company unless you are friends with someone or nepotism.
Cons
too many to mention
Collaborative, supportive work environment with great students
Professional School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, MDNovember 3, 2018
This is a great place to work because of the diversity among faculty and students. There is a student body representation from several countries in South America, as well as, overseas countries (i.e., African nations such as Cameroon and Muslim- speaking countries, like Afghanistan. There is always an opportunity to celebrate diversity on a daily basis. I have learned so much about my ability to practice acceptance and demonstrate having patience when working with other peoples from around the world, especially when there are challenges like language and cultural barriers!
productive and fun day
Para Professional (Current Employee) –  Bladensburg, MDNovember 1, 2018
I love my job I just wish my pay was higher for the extreme work that I do. I work with children with autism. The staff I work with are very good when it comes to working together.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
low pay, hourly not matching my salary
I’m so glad there is a new CEO
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 31, 2018
Starts from the head down time for change the board need to investigate all pass any present teAchers see what was really going on there wAs a lot of backbiting at the complaint level you put in a complaint the board would contact the school and the union and the teacher would not receive any assistance
Pros
Pay
Cons
Administration
Coustodain
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 29, 2018
learned a lot working with professional people and learning something new everyday, was a great experience to be able to give back to the community as well working with the student and being apart of school events