Prince George's County Public Schools Employee Reviews

work Place
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hopewell, VAAugust 20, 2018
It's a place to work. It is a place to work. I got some experience and learn new information and found that it was a place to work.Some people were meant to stay there and some were not.
Productive quiet envioroment
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 20, 2018
A typical day included processing all inventory and bank transactions for the schools in the district I was assigned. Management was able to deligate but not micro manage.The work culture was relaxed and quiet. The best part were the benifits and the schedule. The hardest part was not reciveing all paperwork on time from my schols.
fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 20, 2018
Obtain students attendance. Learned about Education and research (the importance of utilizing literature review). The essence of Time management in a school curriculum. The workplace culture is great, students are from diverse backgrounds. The initial stage of establishing a working alliance with student that may foster a healthy productive work result. The most enjoyable part of the job is establishing a rapport with students that leads to a healthy mindset of thinking that could possibly lead to a fulfilled life in the future.
Pros
Opportunity to empower students
Cons
Constantly resolving peer conflicts
Unorganized Chaos
KINDERGARTEN TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 16, 2018
The PG County School System is unorganized from the head down. Teachers are not valued and are under appreciated. There are some schools and offices with exceptional, dedicated staff members; however, they seem to be overshadowed by the confusion and chaos.
Pgpcps
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 16, 2018
Pgcps is a fast pace working environment, where you meet new people and understand kids everyday life in learning. The school year goes by fast because the staff and students keep you busy
Productive and fun workplace.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDAugust 14, 2018
Typical day was I got to work listened to music then waited on bus to take us to whichever school we were working at that day. We got to communicate while we were there also.
Summary
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 11, 2018
I did not get along with the management. I disagreed with how the school was run. I learned that I am able to get work done under stressful situations.
Offers great professional development
Teacher/Dept. Chairperson/Workshop Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDAugust 9, 2018
I enjoyed the variety of professional development opportunities while in Prince George's County. You can learn the skills needed to succeed professionally.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of administrative support at times
Good Place to work
Principal's Secretary II/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDAugust 8, 2018
The job was challenging at times. Administration was not difficult at all. Staff was cordial and professional. Job duties were not complicated. Some training provided.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere
Cons
No annual raises
It was a very productive and interseting job.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Lanham-Seabrook, MDJuly 29, 2018
The thing that I enjoyed the most about the job was spending with children. I love children because I'm a grandfather with 16 grandchildren! The hardest part of the job is also the children because they sometimes break school bus rules.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
N/a
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 26, 2018
Glad to do all that I did there.

What a good opportunity to serve parents and help them to become a better parents and good listeners to their children

Good relationship with staff at the department, Grateful work ettiquett
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
yes lunch break and short breaks
Great work place. Great pay
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  MarylandJuly 25, 2018
Work load is well compensated. It would be a lot better if first time teachers are given all the support needed and let them hold the same work for about 2 consecutive years before changes are made.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Fast paced
No Paid Training
Long-term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 23, 2018
The only issues I've had would be the no paid training. HR can be difficult as well. Staff also has the tendency to be rude and certain training session.
A Challenging and Rewarding Environment
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJuly 23, 2018
Everything can change from one school to another. The district does an adequate job of managing such a large and challenging population. So fantastic stories that you hear from one school may be horror stories at another school in the district. With over 100,000 students the variation in schools boils down to how well the principal has created a culture of excellence. During meetings with other staff from other schools, I noticed that we all had completely different challenges from each other.
Awesome School District
Mathematics Literacy Coach (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 22, 2018
I truly love working for the school district. It has developed me as an instructional leader. Awesome leaders, awesome parents, and awesome students. The school district is the reason why I stayed int the DMV area.
Supportive environment without the support
Middle School English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJuly 21, 2018
At the time I was working at Prince George's County P.S. system it was rated the worst school district in the state of Maryland. I was hired by a brand new principal into an environment of change. The days were fairly typical, their were numerous meetings. and students were fairly well behaved. The teachers pulled together as best they could, when possible. I enjoyed the environment and ultimately left because my commute was too long.
Pros
I knew where I stood with my supervisers
Cons
Received inconsistent support from mentors and staff trainers
Salary needs improvement
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 20, 2018
Salary needs improvement Prince George’s County Public Schools Administration haven’t given out any steps in five years the salary increase is very slow and doesn’t match up with the cost of living
Pros
Giving back to the community
Cons
Parents are just as disrespectful as the children
Pgcps
1st Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Forest Heights, MDJuly 17, 2018
PGCPS hiring process is confusing at times. The extra classes that you have to take in order to work for PGCPS could probably be condensed into a workshop that is affordable for everyone.
Pros
You can work close to home.
Cons
Hours and summers off to be at home with my kiddos.
Very Productive and fun place to work
School Program/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJuly 14, 2018
I worked at the Palmer Park Service Center as a keypunching operator, worked in the Library and Audio Visual Department. This was a beautiful experience. I was a senior in high school and was given the opportunity to leave school half a day and go to work for the remainder of the day. I worked so well with the staff that once I graduated they allowed me to continue to work on a full time schedule. Once I became full time I was tapped to go to work temporary at Lewisdale Elementary school to help them with organizing their library and removing unwanted reading books. My position later was terminated due to budgetary reasons.
Pros
wonderful work place environment
Cons
did get any health insurance benefits
A Whole New World
SCIENCE INSTRUCTIONAL SPECIALIST, K-8 (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDJuly 13, 2018
Going from the classroom directly to a district level leadership role was an eye opener. I experienced corporate America of a public school system. The job required intense deadlines by COB (Close of Business) that were attached to detailed outlines and specific checklists. The communication constituted of top-down leadership, weekly meetings and scripted presentations. The daily protocol seemed to encourage daytime meetings and evening tasks to be completed during personal time. Planning and providing professional development for colleagues became the most enjoyable experience of the role.