Prince George's County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great place to grow professionally
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  cooper laneOctober 13, 2018
excellent place to work, great management. junior staff and senior staff helpful. Love working here. management installed exercise machine for staff and offices are opened early and close late. Free coffee and microwave. everybody greets each other with hearty good morning, i learned to get along with special needs people and appreciate diversity in staff. also learned the intricacies of professional advancement. Management were very professional and try to accomodate staff with special services.
Pros
fixed hours of work
Cons
short lunch hour
Best job I’ve had
Itinerary special education assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, MD 20744October 10, 2018
Best environment I loved the staff and my great students, they all grew on me, we had great events like staff appreciation, brunches and lunch ins, and much more
Pros
Pay, perks
Cons
It is a challenging place to work
Maintence Worker (Former Employee) –  United statesOctober 6, 2018
My view it has its benifits and challenges to help workers and school staff.As a maintenance worker i try to make the building cleaner for the kids and staff.
Great atmosphere
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  CMIT south elementarySeptember 25, 2018
I have had a good experience so far with PG county schools. The new teacher training was well organized and well prepared. I can't wait until I get to go another professional development.
Pros
Good preparations
Cons
slow start up for new school
Students are great and ready to learn
Secondary Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDSeptember 25, 2018
I love working with students. We have lots of rules in this county but the pay does not match. The hardest part of the job is meeting deadlines while maintaining your classroom responsibilities.
Pros
Great benefits, great students, great training
Cons
lots of work
Interim Teacher (substitute)
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 24, 2018
Assignments are often changed i.e. you submit for one particular grade, the principal will switch substitute teacher to a different, usually higher, grade than was was accepted.
Substitute teachers are also asked to perform lunch duty in the cafeteria or recess monitor.
Behavior reports written by substitutes are not followed through by the principal.
Pros
Most children want to learn and participate
Cons
Behavioral issues are not addressed
School board
Custodian Technician (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDSeptember 20, 2018
I like working for the school board it easywork easy money i been in the school board 6 year love everthing about it they pay good coworkers are friendly payed off day and holidays
Family atmosphere
SCHOOL COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 19, 2018
Very supportive collaborative team type climate that was very task oriented with datelines but very reasonable goals and expectations. I really enjoyed my supervisor's mentor-ship and support.
We should do better!!
HS Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 19, 2018
It needs better funding. Schools should be better equipped. Every school should have working air conditioning, especially in the gymnasiums, school furniture that is not broken and athletic fields with lights and turf.
Stressful
Special Education Teacher of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MDSeptember 19, 2018
Stressful work environment. the experience working with children present a unique challenge everyday. Seeing breakthroughs while rewarding are not supported and funded finicially
good place to work
Dedicated assistant (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDSeptember 17, 2018
prince georges county school system is a good place to be employed if your goals are to work in the school system. there are good and bad days but they are non the less rewarding.
Pros
heling kids learn
Cons
non really
It's what you make it
Substitute Teacher (on-call) (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MD 20772September 17, 2018
I like the fact that you can create your own schedule as a substitute teacher. You get to go to different schools of your choosing. You can also pick and choose what grade level you would prefer. This is an amazing job for those people that are looking for flexibility.
Its Okay for some
Technology Teacher (Former Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDSeptember 3, 2018
This was an okay place to work. For me it was high stress and some coworkers were not nice. Some were okay. The work load was very demanding but it is this way for all teaching positions no matter where you work.
Working to improve life of students and families thru education
In School Suspension Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDAugust 31, 2018
PGCPS has given me a chance to work to help improve students lives in the county I choose to reside in. Working with students and families daily bring joy to my life daily and helps me look forward to going to work daily. I have always worked in underserved communities and looked forward to working to training others to support and understand our communities. Working at the school has also afforded me the opportunity to help teach and coach Lacrosse to a population that was not exposed to such a dynamic sport.
Pros
Hours, benefits and students
Cons
Leadership
Productive and fun work place.
Crisis Intervention Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  MDAugust 22, 2018
I enjoyed working in PG county. The team was talented and I had the opportunity to grow professionally with advancement options. I look forward to rejoining PG soon.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Traffic can be difficult
The Job
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 21, 2018
Its a great job to start your driving career. It would take forever to move up in steps and seniority.I can say its great to have a option to get 12 month option, especially if you decide not to work in the summer.
Pros
12 month option
Cons
Good break hrs
Workload Overload
Secondary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDAugust 21, 2018
There is not enough time to do all the tasks given and then more tasks are assigned. Those who work hard usually are the first ones to be reprimanded while those who do not work hard are left alone. In fact, those who work hard are often forced to complete others' work while those not completing their duties are not reprimanded or penalized. I love working with the kids (and coaching). No real chance for advancement. It seems like you have to know someone to get promoted or special preference to new openings.
Pros
low expectations/ little accountability
Cons
stressful, thankless job, no room for advancement
work Place
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hopewell, VAAugust 20, 2018
It's a place to work. It is a place to work. I got some experience and learn new information and found that it was a place to work.Some people were meant to stay there and some were not.
Productive quiet envioroment
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 20, 2018
A typical day included processing all inventory and bank transactions for the schools in the district I was assigned. Management was able to deligate but not micro manage.The work culture was relaxed and quiet. The best part were the benifits and the schedule. The hardest part was not reciveing all paperwork on time from my schols.
fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDAugust 20, 2018
Obtain students attendance. Learned about Education and research (the importance of utilizing literature review). The essence of Time management in a school curriculum. The workplace culture is great, students are from diverse backgrounds. The initial stage of establishing a working alliance with student that may foster a healthy productive work result. The most enjoyable part of the job is establishing a rapport with students that leads to a healthy mindset of thinking that could possibly lead to a fulfilled life in the future.
Pros
Opportunity to empower students
Cons
Constantly resolving peer conflicts