Prince George's County Employee Reviews

Very productive and rewarding
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 1, 2019
I enjoyed working there with dignity and a passion to make a difference in one or more dis-functional and troubled lives that constantly required refuge and basic human care. Through the years I have learnt not to take anything too personal. Typical day
starts with checking all inmates to make sure they are alive and matching their faces with the name on their identifying arm bands.
After that is completed 60 or more inmates are let out of their cells
and I would then begin direct supervision, with emphasis on giving
respect and demanding respect, while doing security checks. Monitoring cleanliness, distributing meals, also making sure they go out when needed for court and return or accounted for at the end of my tour of duties. documentation of every movement must be done in the log book on the computer. The most I enjoyed was listening to the many different stories of lives, some of which were un-fathomable.
Hardest about the job was being held on mandatory overtime at the last minute.
Everything was managed in a timely manner, which was established at the beginning of the tour of duties and announced at the appropriate time.
Pros
there was always room for advancement and improvement of self
Cons
very challenging and stressful environment
Fun environment
Family Investment Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJune 27, 2019
Opportunities for advancements. Management is okay but not the greatest. The workplace environment is okay but for it to be social services, not too many people are friendly.
Great
Foster Care Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJune 14, 2019
Great environment for working parents. Provides you with skills to last a lifetime. The service that you provide to the community with help you to go into any career.
Pros
Great
Intern work
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJune 5, 2019
I enjoyed working there, nothing exciting or above normal routine work, long time employees were helpful and I learned at lot but will not make a career there.
Pros
Easy commute, free parking
Cons
no advancement
Great people
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MD 20772May 5, 2019
It was a family environment unlike any other but no advancement and compensation is not competitive with DC. Overtime not available but long hours are.
Pros
Pay, heavy caseloads
Cons
Traffic, free parking
Health Department was a very stressful work environment
Assistant Director of Administration (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDApril 22, 2019
Overall, the Leadership at the Health Department during my tenure was very demanding and imposed unnecessary redundancies that created a very stressful work environment.
Pros
The staff
Cons
Leadership
meaningful work with SYEP
Youth Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDApril 22, 2019
Great experience, career builder, engagement, projects that you can take with you as speaking points on your abilities, overall rewarding experience!!
Cons
HR was not helpful
Job security
Human Resources Analyst IV (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDApril 20, 2019
A typical day is busy as we service a large population. I have learned a great deal about recruitment, examinations, outreach, and staffing. The culture should be changed by upper management to create a better working environment; provide employees better opportunities, implement flexible work schedules and create a competitive salary schedule. The hardest part of the job is not having the most recent technology.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Low pay and difficult to advance to other positions
Prioritization was the key in getting the job done appropriately.
Income maintenance Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDApril 15, 2019
Some customers were really in need of the assistance they applied for, so figuring out how to request and verify the right documents on time was very important.
Pros
The client use the assistance to better their lives, They become independent of the government assistance.
Cons
Sometimes we denied cases not because the client is not eligible, but because he/she cannot provide the required documentation.
Great place for summer internships
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cheverly, MDApril 12, 2019
Provided a welcoming environment to all interns as well as getting us acquainted with the various offices. It's a working and learning experience as they have specialists come in and educate every few weeks.
Positive work environment
Associate County Attorney (Current Employee) –  Largo, MDMarch 31, 2019
Enjoyed working for this employer. I learned a lot and met some wonderful people along the way. Important work and committed employees. Overall positive experience.
relaxed work environment
Technician/Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MarylandMarch 27, 2019
Working for Prince George's County Board of Elections was a great learning experience. Especially working in the warehouse department and learning how the voting machines work and how to fix and operate them.
Very educational, productive, and comfortable workplace.
receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cheverly, MDMarch 26, 2019
When I worked a Prince George's county the environment was great. I've had people help me feel comfortable and show me how to do certain things. I learned about different vaccines, I also learned how to make copies different ways. The hardest part of the job was learning how to be calm and not get frustrated if I couldn't do anything, my supervisor would help me out and let me know it's okay to ask for help or if I don't know something.
Pros
Hour lunch/break
Cons
Some people were rude but I've met some down to earth ones.
growing workforce
attorney (Former Employee) –  prince george'sMarch 19, 2019
This is an ever changing work environment that continues to grow and expand. The workplace is diverse and tries to incorporate a team spirit. Great place to gain experience.
This job is not for the faint of heart!!
Community Health Nurse III (Current Employee) –  Cheverly, MDFebruary 13, 2019
Working at the HD is good in that no weekends, night or holidays.
It's bad in that there is lots of micromanaging, ineffective managers, and non-competitive pay scales. It's a trade off. If you are looking for a steady job, with decent benefits ( that start right away), this is the place for you. Promotions from the inside are almost non existent, and politically motivated.
Interim Program Chief (Current Employee) –  Cheverly, MDFebruary 10, 2019
A typical day at work it depends on what is no your schedule. As a manager you guide others on day to day operations, just like any other organization. Each department is unique and it will be unfair to characterize how other departments operates.
Pros
Leave and working hours
Cons
non
Mission Driven, Local Focus
Assistant Director, Operations (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDJanuary 28, 2019
Fast paced environment serving over 30,000 jobseekers a year. Great opportunity to think strategically about service delivery and reach as well as program offerings. Data driven organization, with a high threshhold for performance and outcomes while providing the best services for the community.
Leave it at that
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDJanuary 19, 2019
Every environment has its issues. Over all, did not understand somethings. Policies not clear. I was a contractor. At will. Had to be very humble. No problems, but many different personalities.
Could have been better
Dedicated Aide (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDDecember 24, 2018
I think that the pay and benefits could be way better. How do you expect people to raise a family and adhere to the cost of living with the low pay and minimum benefits offered.
yes work here
intern (Former Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDDecember 23, 2018
while it was busy i liked the work to me it was easy a little repetitive but thats what makes it simple and easy once you learn everything its a cake job