Prince William County Government

Prince William County Government Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA90 reviews
Prince William County Schools is a fairly good county to work for, however, they have lacked in their monetary raises and advancements. Being a teacher is very mentally rewarding, but I am looking for more opportunities to advance and move forward. In my particular position, it is very difficult. We have not received a substantial raise in over 5 years and this makes it difficult in Northern Virginia when inflation and prices raise, but the pay checks do not. However, I really do enjoy teaching others... both young students and the adult population.

I also enjoy training in software and that is also what I have accomplished in the county with the other teachers in both of the schools that I have worked for. I enjoy being Co-Chair and it has taught me some of the most enjoyable aspects of being in management. I have leaned that teaching others has humbled me greatly and I have been so grateful for that opportunity. I would love to continue to thrive forward into another position and company and I can offer a great deal of knowledge and experience.
Pros
Some weeks off in the summer
Cons
salary, inudated paperwork associated with special education
Job can be demanding at times, but the work/life balance is excellent, a four day work week is allowed, opportunities for overtime and pay for on call time (if you work in a position that requires it are there). I have never had a job in my life where I have earned so much leave. Off on holidays, VERY laid back workplace. As long as you do your job nobody gets in your business. Some employees are drama, but that is everywhere. Some people complain, but that is everywhere. I have worked at enough bad jobs to know that this is an excellent place to work and an excellent county to work for. I feel the county executive truly has employees backs. The agency director and management are very approachable and reasonable people. The county has increased pay several times in the last few years and just did another increase. The county pays very well for my position (perhaps the best out of northern VA counties at this point) and the benefits are also very good. Insurance is super cheap if you are single. It's still pretty reasonable (for insurance) if you have a family. Training and career advancement is always there, it also isn't too difficult to lateral to other agencies. No employer is perfect, but I have been happy here and enjoy my coworkers and feel very respected overall.
I enjoy working in a K-12 atmosphere. The benefits are great but it is difficult to find full time. Fellow teachers and TAs are fantastic, and I enjoy working with them. It is a team environment, but there is also a great deal of responsibility when ensuring the safety and education of children. I find working for Prince William County Schools is rewarding.
If you’re looking for a place where you can grow and learn new things, this is not the place for you. There are no competent managers and bureaucracy is valued above all else.
Autonomy, opportunities for training.

Not as much flexibility to promote work/life balance as I would like.

Pay is getting better; closer to other nearby counties.

Average benefits.
I really enjoy working for the a local government organization. Live work and play all in one central location. After years of fighting traffic to get to Fairfax county now I’m only 15 minutes from home. Prince William county government is very much family oriented.
No flexibility
Made to feel guilty when sick

Change of schedule within minutes of walking out the door to go home or get text late at night...no respect for your life outside of the building at the building i work at
I love working for PWCPD. It is an extremely rewarding place to be a part of. The officers are amazing at what they do and the growth potential is what you make it.
it wasn't a very hard job as long as you could do usual cashier responsibilities. the hardest part was probably just making sure you didn't over pay someone or under pay them when they gave you cash. And making sure your drawer count was correct at the end of your shift.
Pros
friendly
Cons
no breaks
Excellant plce to work and very high standards for employees. Great place to grow and learn. Staff are wonderful. Provide excellant trading opportunities.
Job was temporary staffing the Law Library of the PWC Clerk of the Court. Permanent position required a Masters in Library Science , JD or both, so I did not meet the minimum requirements for permanent employment
The only way to be treated positively at Prince William County Office of Criminal Justice Services is to be best friends with the management team. Your experience, education, and work ethic does not matter. Never suggest new and/or easier ways for work procedures to become better, you will be accused of not respecting the process. Do not trust your co-workers will treat you the way you treat them. They will complain to the management team behind your back and effect your evaluations. Bottom line: DO NOT WORK FOR THIS AGENCY.
Cons
The Department of Social Services for Prince William County is very large but a group of dedicated professionals. The group dedicated to Juvenile Services offer a wide variety of services for families.
Terrible place to work, supervisors and hr will lie to protect senior officers. Bunch of liars, people in the hr office are hostile and they constantly lie and some of the people in the office are racist. Benefits are great but will take a HUGE chunk of paycheck
Benefits
Cons
Pay, supervisors
A good place to work for, the only downside is the salary but they have good benefits. You just have to weight out what you're willing to deal with. Nice and professional people to work with.
Pros
schedule
Cons
salary
I worked at Prince William County Juvenile Detention Center for 10 years. It was a good place to work in the beginning, but when new management took over, things changed. Poor management with childlike employees, not professional at all.
Pros
I liked the work shedule
Cons
very unprofessional
I enjoyed working with them, but I needed to grow more. As a result, I have decided to move in a different direction in my life. The experience was good but was not complete for me.
worked for over 20 years at the prince william county dss as a benefit worker and in the homeless intervention program
case management

contract negotiations

benefit disbursement
Prince William County Government is mission-focused on providing excellent services to the citizens of the local community. This focus on excellence extends to the opportunities and work-life balance provided to staff.
Great Place to Work, Not one to place judgement good or bad, or write a review. My department is going through a growth period. Not sure of short or long term goals.
PWC is not the highest paying County in the DMV by any stretch, however, they are flexible and provide and opportunity for growth. Great benefits and work culture.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Prince William County Government. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight