Prince William County Government

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Mentally rewarding but tough on monetary advancement

Prince William County Schools is a fairly good county to work for, however, they have lacked in their monetary raises and advancements. Being a teacher is very mentally rewarding, but I am looking for more opportunities to advance and move forward. In my particular position, it is very difficult. We have not received a substantial raise in over 5 years and this makes it difficult in Northern Virginia when inflation and prices raise, but the pay checks do not. However, I really do enjoy teaching others... both young students and the adult population. I also enjoy training in software and that is also what I have accomplished in the county with the other teachers in both of the schools that I have worked for. I enjoy being Co-Chair and it has taught me some of the most enjoyable aspects of being in management. I have leaned that teaching others has humbled me greatly and I have been so grateful for that opportunity. I would love to continue to thrive forward into another position and company and I can offer a great deal of knowledge and experience.

Pros

Some weeks off in the summer

Cons

salary, inudated paperwork associated with special education

Great people to work with

I really enjoy who I work with. Great people. Lots of things have changed since COVID and the direction of some daily operations seems unclear. Tasks that we used to have no longer exist.

Pros

Benefits, people

Cons

Not being challenged enough

Co-Workers are great

The starting pay for officers in this county has increased since I started, however, they are far behind for tenured employees. The BOCS often holds back funding for merit increase and we haven't seen a COLA since 2007.

Not the best place to learn and grow if you are a new counselor

Toxic work environment, inconsistent policies and procedures, poor/weak/incompetent leadership (at the team level) and an ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL disregard for the dignity and rights of clients. PWC Community Services is a "Dog and Pony" show where it's all about the total number of residents being served and not the actual care they are providing.

Pros

Its a job

Cons

EVERYTHING (no really everything)

Good Compensation and relaxed work environment

I've worked for 4 other localities, this is by far the best I have worked for. Flexible hours and ability to work remote 100 percent. No micromanagement.

Pros

Good Compensation, good benefits, telework

Cons

37.5 hr work week, but overtime starts after 40 hrs.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Having great support

I enjoy working with a group of people who will help when needed. A supervisor who pushes you to fill your goals. I work in administration and the office runs smooth. We work Monday thru Friday, but it’s a 24 hour facility.

Pros

If need help, people are willing

Cons

Just my commute

Hit and miss

They are constantly short of employees and rely heavily on those they do have. Double standards are very obvious. There is no reason to be excited to work here. No longer provide free gym membership at the facility you work at the discount is the same they give to patrons.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

No benefits, double standards, not stimulating

Bully culture

Don’t bother You give your life and soul They give very little in return Unappreciated. Not valued and always dispensable at their whimThey function with their favorites and cream out the rest

Pros

Serving community

Cons

Toxic environment

Horrible work environment, lousy managers

Hated this job. Maybe not the worse I've ever had but pretty close to rock bottom. Mean boss who never smiled. Vindictive management out to intimidate and rule by fear. When I refused to cowtow to thier scare tactics they found reasons to keep me miserable, Unless you are desperate for money and have no other options for feeding your family, look elsewhere for employment

Pros

Cons

Lousy boss. Ugly environment. No humor at all in a sterile environment

Good place for job security. The benefits are the best and the salary is pretty good. Advancing to the next level is pretty difficult if you have someone in that position that is content

Family oriented

It was a great agency to work for, and unfortunately I was unable to work part time due to my new employment being a conflict of interest. I enjoyed working with the youth, and my co-workers.

Good Experience

Overall good place to work. The department is well respected and has a decent morale (compared to other departments in the area). Would recommend.

Parks and Rec

There is a lot of opportunity for advancement and on the job training. There is also opportunity to move indoors following the summer outdoor season for lifeguards and other seasonal employees.

Pros

Paid for certifications and training

Poor Leadership

The Management is poor and seek to dump work on employees with training and then hold the results against the employees. Management tends to be micro managers who do not know how to manage. Management should never have been promoted for lack of knowledge and educational ability.

Pros

Cons

The agency work environment is toxic

Best people ive ever met

I didnt know them for long but it was fun and i actually learned a bit of the election process. I got the job because of my friend he vouched for me and got me a temp. job there and it worked well with my school schedule and personal life. I basically did all kinds of things from organizing, preparing, or checking on things needed for the elections that were coming up. I even helped as a poll worker for absentee voters once. I was called in whenever i was needed so my weekly wage wasnt all that high which is understandable as a temp.

Pros

Great group of people, easy balance of work and life, sense of importance

Cons

None really

N/a

N/A I wouldn't advise to work there unless you understand the in and out of management not caring for their workers and how they can actually cheat you out of pay when you deserve it. It's alot favoritism alot of errors made prior to changes and thoses people are being promoted as the new people are not being taken care of.

Place is a joke.

Dont waste your time applying here, they want you to know everything. I was let go cause I was asking to many questions. They told me they were not willing to train me. I should know it all. Management is a disaster.

Cons

Management sucks

Not a good environment. Discrimination at every level.

Discrimination runs rampart and they are liars. They do not support their employees. The EEO office is a total joke. The lady that runs it is a liar. I regret ever working for such a place and would never recommend anyone work with this company.

Great outdoor day camp experience

A typical day included a bus ride to Camp Mowavi of the Prince William National Forest Park. Each day had a new set of activities to do with the campers. As a Special Aid, the supervision of children with disabilities was crucial at all times. Mitigating problems between campers was productive and fulfilling. Consistent and open communication with parents before and after camp.

Pros

Outdoor day camp with tons of activities

Cons

Short lunches

Pay is Horrible

You are micromanaged and they do not respect you. It is a Good Ole Boys/Girls Club. Pay structure is horrible and built to onboard you at the minimum regardless of your experience. They say Leadership is at all Levels. But they do not give you the space to show leadership and you are reprimanded when you show it. Others take credit for your

One of the best places I have worked

Job can be demanding at times, but the work/life balance is excellent, a four day work week is allowed, opportunities for overtime and pay for on call time (if you work in a position that requires it are there). I have never had a job in my life where I have earned so much leave. Off on holidays, VERY laid back workplace. As long as you do your job nobody gets in your business. Some employees are drama, but that is everywhere. Some people complain, but that is everywhere. I have worked at enough bad jobs to know that this is an excellent place to work and an excellent county to work for. I feel the county executive truly has employees backs. The agency director and management are very approachable and reasonable people. The county has increased pay several times in the last few years and just did another increase. The county pays very well for my position (perhaps the best out of northern VA counties at this point) and the benefits are also very good. Insurance is super cheap if you are single. It's still pretty reasonable (for insurance) if you have a family. Training and career advancement is always there, it also isn't too difficult to lateral to other agencies. No employer is perfect, but I have been happy here and enjoy my coworkers and feel very respected overall.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Prince William County Government. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight