Prince William County Government Employee Reviews

Really enjoyed people I worked with. Management was not in step with desires of employees.
Administrative Support Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VASeptember 11, 2018
Was in constant battle with Supervisor of administrative staff. No other Admin on my team seemed to have problems with the supervisor. I asked the Director if any other employees on my team had problems. He did not answer my question.
Pros
Location was good
Cons
Management was resistant to employee ideas to improve culture.
Low paying County but very flexible and rewarding
Landfill Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 22, 2018
PWC is not the highest paying County in the DMV by any stretch, however, they are flexible and provide and opportunity for growth. Great benefits and work culture.
The Library is an Awful Place to Work
Librarian/Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  VAJune 15, 2018
I only learned how corrupt, discriminatory, and rude the library management is. There is no opportunity for advancement unless you are part of their friendship group.The new director and the hiring manager are terrible, they break all the hiring rules. I wish someone investigates them. I don't recommend working here. Horrible experience.
Great atmosphere, positive team training and experience.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 18, 2018
Management was usually good, intense for training, but laid back otherwise. The people I worked with helped me stay for as long as I did. The hardest part of the job is training, it always hits tough when a scenario goes wrong for lack of communication. Seeing so many guards come and go, watching each grow in their own way has been a lot of fun for me.
Pros
Always keeping busy, diligent
Cons
hours can be hard to come by with large numbers of staff.
Not a good place to work.
Detention Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VADecember 3, 2018
I worked at Prince William County Juvenile Detention Center for 10 years. It was a good place to work in the beginning, but when new management took over, things changed. Poor management with childlike employees, not professional at all.
Pros
I liked the work shedule
Cons
very unprofessional
Long hours followed by long breaks
911 Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAOctober 9, 2018
Plenty of room for advancement. This is a high paced job with various moving elements. Hardest part of job is becoming familiar with the vast changing area. Considered essential employee so required to come to work in inclement weather.
Pros
Very supportive enviroment
Cons
Various training styles
A great place to learn and grow
Training Analyst (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 14, 2018
Prince William County Government is mission-focused on providing excellent services to the citizens of the local community. This focus on excellence extends to the opportunities and work-life balance provided to staff.
challenging and rewarding job
Certified Professional Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 27, 2018
worked for over 20 years at the prince william county dss as a benefit worker and in the homeless intervention program
case management
contract negotiations
benefit disbursement
Prince William County Teacher
2nd Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Prince William, VAAugust 8, 2018
Great school system to work for. Up to date on all of the newest teaching methods. Great use of technology in the classroom. Many opportunities for growth through professional development.
Pros
Great hours. Summer off. Good benefits.
Enjoyable hard work.
ACOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Prince William, VAOctober 27, 2017
Working Prince William was great. A typical day at work was not that much loaded. I have learned from Prince William, the new Accounting application which facilitate and make essay the job and help to retrieve the information quickly. The management was fare to everyone and no pressure. Workplace culture was work hard, help each other, and enjoy on occasions. I can’t say the hardest, but around tax seasons everyone was overwhelming to process the tax payer payment on time, however the management entertained the employee with so many treats which makes the job easy. My most enjoyable part of the job was I would say learning from my co-workers including learning any opportunities like: - training, new accounting application and the benefit that the company provided was great
Average Place to work
Firefighter/Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Prince William, VASeptember 14, 2018
PWCDF&R is an average place to work. However, going to a new schedule of 56 hrs per week is not conducive to my home work life balance. In my opinion it is asking too much of the employees.
Stressful at times
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 29, 2018
Stressful at times. They have great benefits. Lots of availability to get time off. County matches what you put into 401k. It's shift work it rotates 4 days on 4 days on
Pros
Good benefits, availability for plenty of paid days off
Cons
Cab be stressful and very busy
GREAT Company
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 21, 2018
Very competitive and fast paced lifeguarding job. If you want to be kept on your toes this is a great job for you. They're all around very great. So much appreciaton for this company.
Very poor leaders
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAApril 5, 2018
If you want to cry daily and get sexually harassed go there. No one will help you. You are on your own. People in power will look after themselves. No team work.
Benefits
Cons
No advancement
Good employer
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 30, 2018
I enjoyed working with them, but I needed to grow more. As a result, I have decided to move in a different direction in my life. The experience was good but was not complete for me.
Excellent company to work for; however, management needs training
Administrative Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMay 18, 2018
I worked in an administrative position with Prince William County. I enjoyed the work hours and the short commute. The position that I was in did not allow me to advance. The county has several programs in place to help you advance however, your supervisor has to be willing to allow you the time to go to training. I would say that I would work for the county again, however, choose your department wisely. Find out exactly how many individuals have worked in that positon and the reason for leaving. If you find that position is open frequently find out why. Some individuals have worked for the county for several years and need new manager style. While working there I also felt that manager didn't care about you as a person just as long as you were getting the work done.
Also make sure you get fairly compensated.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Healthcare
Unconducive work environment and frequent threat and intimidation
Social Worker, (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 16, 2018
Autocratic style of leadership, frequent intimidation, nepotism by the leadership. Constructive criticism not welcome by the Social Services Director.
Pros
pay
Cons
abuse of employees, frequent intimidation by the Social Services Director and her crony friends
Extremely poor management
Senior Property Code Enforcement Inspector (Current Employee) –  Prince William County, VAMay 19, 2018
Poor management, zero employee recognition, not trustworthy. My department is run by someone who lacks leadership skills, who does not believe in team building and turns a blind eye to the terribly low morale within our office.
STREssful
Jail Food Services/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAApril 24, 2018
The job is very stressful because you deal with inmates, so everyday it is something different. The boss with say something but do the opposite. You cannot go to I'm with a situation without everyone knowing about it.
Pros
free lunch and alot of down time
Cons
stressful and poor management
Hostile Environment
Public Services Records Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 30, 2018
hostile environment with fellow employees most of whom are cut throat and not accepting of new employees. Difficult to receive appropriate training, as each employee will have a different answer a lot of times the answers were wrong on purpose.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
most days there are no breaks