Prince William County Public Schools
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100

Prince William County Public Schools Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Working for PWCS is great. The work life balance is flexible and there are many opportunties for advancement. A typical day is collaborative and management is great.
PWCS uses a site based management model which can be good or bad depending on the administrator at your building. I have been fortunate in 10 years at PWCS to have excellent principals who I enjoyed working for. Unfortunately, there are principals and assistant principals who consider their job a step towards higher level administration and will make your life miserable so be careful about doing your research before accepting an offer. Incompetent admin are promoted to cushy high paying jobs at central office. The school system is very much “flavor of the year” when it comes to addressing major issues like lack of equity, special education, gifted education, and other groups with special needs. Don’t expect any help from district level admin for anything; they are still sitting at home as of this review and are nearly impossible to reach. Area associate superintendents are absolutely useless; they show up at the schools once or twice a year and the culture is one of fear that they might pop into your classroom rather than one of excitement to share what you are doing with high level admin. Promotions to administrative positions are mostly based on ability to interview, so if you are good at tooting your own horn, post your face all over Twitter in front of smiling students, and memorize buzzwords you are good to go. If you quietly work hard, credit your students and other staff, and truly care about kids you will go unnoticed. The pay in this district is dismal and mid career teachers are not valued. At 10 years in, you can make $10-12k more by crossing county lines. Teachers - more...
Pros
Good culture at schools with competent admin, good benefits, great kids
Cons
Useless central office admin, abysmally low pay, poor culture if your admin is bad, Research what happened at Reagan MS a few years ago for a prime example.
It’s all about the dollar and the students and employees don’t get them. Upper management is not supportive. There is no communication and when there is communication, it is incorrect or confusing.
As a Mom I loved working in the school my kids attended. The staff was great. The school system is a great place to be a part of! Overall it was a great experience.
I felt taken advantage of because my schedule was flexible which turned into me getting last minute fill in positions instead of scheduled dates to work as a substitute.
Pros
Younger kids
Cons
Teenagers
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The school system has many seasoned staffers who are very willing and able to assist new employees. I was able to learn a lot by working with them. They were very helpful and very engaging. The great asset of Prince William County Public Schools is its staffers who are willing to act as mentors.
Pros
The staff is great to work with.
Cons
There is not enough time to work with the students who need extra help.
PWCS is very flexible regarding transfers to other buildings from year to year. The salary is good for educators, and continuing education is very much encouraged. As with any public school system there is pressure for students to perform well. This falls on teachers and flexibility and creativity gets somewhat left behind. There is so much variety and differences between schools, and not enough consistency.
Pros
Good pay, dedicated educators
Cons
Not enough consistency and uniformity in management of schools, decision making between the many schools across the division is site-based rather than centralized, large gaps in accessibility of supplies and technology across division
I wish they paid more but great place to learn the HVAC trade I would have love to make the county a career but I took a 30k raise to leave really did not want to leave but I was struggling financially when I worked there.
Pros
Flexible hours and leave is great
Cons
Does mot pay enough
Pay for basically all departments in the transportation department is low wage. A few cents "raise" every 3 years is not typical for a regular person to survive. Too much emphasis on diversity. Need to follow the old ways and new recruits need to have a full understanding of the English language. This is not a job to provide for your family.
Taking care of special need students on a day to day is a gift. They light up my day, everyday. I enjoyed coming to work to spend time them. My coworkers were also amazing.
I love my job but it really made me mad when they took aware my health insurance. Most of it is good. I love the versatility and variety of jobs I do. Never a dull moment.
This job is very fulfilling but requires a lot of dedication and doesn't always come with as much support as what may feel needed. Finding the right school with the right administration and colleagues is key to having a well-rounded experience where making daily sacrifices and tough decisions are valued and worth it for the sake of helping children learn and become better people than they were when they entered the building that day.
Awesome place to work my experience there for ten years was amazing if I didn't move so far away I would've live still working there I would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
Work environments awesone
Cons
Can't complain
Its best satisfaction to teach children and make them confident and happy. Work with other teachers to provide best education to Elementary school students.
Good company, okay pay, wonderful sense of purpose. I love having the chance to truly make a difference in kids' lives! Depending on your position within the company, there is an opportunity for flexibility in your schedule.
Pros
Making a difference, diversity, inclusion
Cons
Pay could be better
I loved working in the three different setting at PWCS but my driving commute and my recent graduation is leading to seek for another position. Gar-Filed H.S. is a place where people are really helpful and friendly.
The route managers and administrators were so rude and disrespectful to me. They carried a tone says yoy will leave with the problem you need help with. Don't bother us. They stick every complaint under your nose with an air of condemnation instead of checking the video tape. The four hour midday break means you won't make the money you think. When you take your bus in for mmaintenance
Prince William County Schools gives me the flexibility to work during the hours my kids are in school and the convenience of having the same days off as my children. We are always learning recipes and receive training for new standards in customer service and sanitation procedures.
Pay could be a little better its overall okay i like it picking up kids taking them to school safely making sure they're safe greeting them with a smile and hello
It is what is expected for a teaching. Salary is average for this area. Admin is fair and there are plenty of great people who work in this division. Great way to start a career in teaching.
PWCSD, in general, has been a wonderful place to work. I have been involved with teaching throughout VA and NY most of my professional life and have been very happy with what PWCSD offers its employees.