Principal Financial Group Employee Reviews

PFG Culture Less Friendly
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 13, 2018
Culture is 180 degrees different from prior to the company going public. Somewhat understandable because of the pressure of being a public company, but not as enjoyable of a place to work
Great place to work if you want a flexible schedule
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Iola, TXAugust 16, 2018
Allowed to work from home if necessary. Lots of training and continuing education available. Very flexible work schedule, ability to move at your own pace as long as goals are met.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Not much mentorship
Mixed
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 9, 2018
I was only there a short time. My job was all about meetings.

I was contract. The project completed earlier than anticipated.

I noticed that the distinction between contract and Principal Employee was more clear there than anywhere else I have worked.

The environment was super relaxed. My time there was too short to be a great measure.
Pros
flexible schedule with remote work hours
Peaceful, fun
New Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 18, 2018
It was a great place training was fun. Less supervision. A lot of trust worthy management. They have growth but I was a contractor I wish I could have been full time.
Intense and educational work
Sr. Pension Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 4, 2018
Working here I learned a lot about the insurance business from the inside. I enjoyed most of my co-workers. After having my children I wanted to spend more time with my children and less time at work.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Parking...
Cons
distance from my home
Good, professional place to work
Benefits Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJune 14, 2018
Assisting clients via interenet and phone, educating about polices and the company website, making changes to accounts. Direct customer interaction. Helping customers a big plus.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Scheduling
what would make being a rep better
Registered Representative /Broker (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLJune 13, 2018
they could offer a longer base salary for new hire reps. They could also train better. The could hire from within a bit better. The commission structure could improve also
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no financial stability offered while trying to grow your book of business
Strong culture
Senior Investment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 4, 2018
A lot of effort has been made to improve the culture at the company and it has paid off. New branding has seemed to take hold. Overall a good firm in a great city.
Production
New Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 29, 2018
The team I was on was great until I met the manager. She seemed nice at the start but than something changed and no matter what I could do nothing seemed right in her eyes. There was just a lot of things going unnoticed and when I brought things to her attention nothing was getting done.
Many employees, just a number
Retirement Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 25, 2018
The computer monitors your every process. There are stats how productive you are, causing you to be a scorecard, not a person. Managers favored the better scorecards employees but were not concerned about the human connection.
great job
claim data processing (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 24, 2018
it was an awesome place to work the flex time was really great, great environment, room to cross train, advancing with in the company, hated for it to downsize
Learning
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMay 23, 2018
Was very fast paced learning job. No wiggle room for hours what so ever you miss anything and they write you up. Management is not understanding of anything however pay is really good
Pros
Hours
Cons
Very strict no notice when contract is up
Loved working at Principal
Corporate Tax Intern (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 21, 2018
Principal by far has been my favorite company I have ever worked at. The people there are absolutely amazing and are the nicest people I have ever met.
Wonderful place to work
Benefits Administration Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 18, 2018
I learned a lot about benefits administration, state specifics and building employee enrollment websites. Management was great, and the work environment was friendly
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Hard to obtain employment
Disappointed
processing (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 10, 2018
Management does not actually care about your opinion. They ask over and over but never truly take it to the table. Everyone in this company has to ask someone else for permission to do something. Trainers are puppets and have no ability to make decisions that are best for the people they're training. Managers blow smoke about assisting with issues, they're slow to respond. Some trainers are lazy, no response, no assistance. Sit through a 2 hour training and then guess what? YOU CAN DO IT ALL... not! Very disappointing that one of the top employers has such low concern for employees. Employees across roles talk nasty towards one another and there is no etiquette when communicating. Principal is almost too big and you'll just be a worker bee doing what someone tells you with no explanation or understanding of why, even when you've asked over and over.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
Management management management and training
Poor Management
Corporate Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 9, 2018
Other Peers were rude and not pleasant to work with. They would constantly tell on everything, Kiss butt to the upper management to get what they wanted.
Cons
If youre not a robot, then you wont fit in
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMay 3, 2018
these slave drivers dont care for you, they want numbers and make sure you know you are replaceable. working in grand island or a satellite office outside of Iowa expect to make 10-15% less than your on site Iowa counterparts. expect to find hundreds of life long career employees still working entry level jobs because there is no such thing as advancement here.
A strong, sound company
Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 27, 2018
In my position, I had at least 6 - 8 meetings per week, which can be frustrating at times. The competition for advancement and recogninition at Principal is fierce. They're currently catering alot to the millineals. Once the company went public (issued stock), the culture changed some -- wasn't so nurturing and employee-focused, but rather bottom line financial performance and shareholder value.

Things became more cut-throat. Not always the best managers. Sometimes people are promoted to management for their technical skills and experience instead of their people skills and their ability to LEAD and Coach.

Beautiful workspace, very state-of-the-art. You will have everything you need to do your job (materials, top technology, great training).

HUGE company, you may feel "lost" in. People are very driven and sometimes it's just not that fun.
Pros
great cafeteria, flex time, work-from home opps, decent pay, stable company, Good executive leadership/CEO
Cons
Bad middle mgmt but good exec mgmt, competitiveness, huge size, focus on profits vs. employees, alleged diversity support, but lack of diversity, especially 4 minorities
Cold and Impersonal
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 13, 2018
This company does not do well to attract top talent, which is surprising given it's located in the sleepy city of Des Moines, Iowa. The interview process was very cold and impersonal. Any business analyst can do better with another company.
very busy office
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEApril 5, 2018
good place to work but very stressfull, working hours change every 2 months. your direct supervisor may not be located in the city that you work in.