Professional Sports Publications Employee Reviews

Great entry level sales position
Ad Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 19, 2018
Great place to start sales career. Office is young and lively- lots of people relocate here for the job so everyone is very friendly with one another. You definitely have to have a tough skin, they are pretty upfront during your interview with what you should expect and how frustrating the job can be. If you're motivated by money, want to be rewarded financially for your hard work- definitely apply. Management can be tough but fair- they want you to succeed- if you're making the company money- everyone wins. Great job for work/life balance- lots of company incentive trips, contests, and events.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Lunch Hour, Management
No Culture or Advancement
Ad Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2018
The salary listed on job postings of 60K isn’t attainable for a long time - you’ll start at 50 and get bumped to 57 after a few big sales. There’s constant overhaul at this company - most people don’t last more than a month or two, and maybe 5% of people make it to a full year. Use it as a launching pad to another gig (pay and benefits are solid) but it’s not a career spot.

Also, you get 12 vacation days and the company makes you use them on days when the office is closed (day after Thanksgiving, week between Christmas and New Years) ... you also can’t use a day around an actual holiday unless you don’t get paid for the holiday. Wild, I know.
Awful everything but Money
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2018
The whole environment is awful. On average one person quits every week. The management is micromanaging as can be. When I worked there I was never even introduced to one of my managers and didn't even know he was one of my managers for MONTHS!! On the phones at 8 am and if you are not dialing out by then you are given a talking to. They select a few people to really succeed every year as well and give them the best leads leaving everybody else in a tougher position but that doesn't mean they will expect you to sell any less. Overall awful experience and wouldn't recommend unless you absolutely need the money because if you get an interview they will hire you because of such high turn over.
Pros
Money, Location
Cons
Management, Work Environment, Everything
just awful
Advertising Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 18, 2018
Decent base salary and benefits but the job drives you to insanity. Do the same thing over and over again and they want you to make 200 calls a day. If you are doing anything less you are considered a slacker. I was literally losing hair because of how much I hated it there and would honestly rather bus tables again than go back.
Treated like high school kids
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 18, 2018
Everyone starts at $40K in Atlanta, and won't receive any commissions until they sell $200K in a year. You're selling advertising in professional and college gameday programs by cold calling random businesses in the area of the teams. There is no pre-screening for these leads, so it is solely on you to sell a client that you can't physically meet, and also asking them to advertise in a publication with no real metrics on how many people buy it. Everyday is 8:15 - 6:00, with your phone calls monitored the entire time. If you take a 10 minute bathroom break, the managers in Philly will know. If you are 3 minutes late, the managers in Philly will know. If don't use their script, word for word, you will be reprimanded regardless of result. People can be successful in this role, but it's a horrible job. The job interview (most likely done via Skype) will be full of promises and bonuses that you can get while with the company, but most of those are highly exaggerated and impossible to attain, but are brought up in every interview in order to attract talent because without those perks, no one would want to do this job. Many people are hired on the spot after the 15 minute interview because they'd rather hire many people at once and see who can succeed, with an extremely high attrition rate. If you last longer than 6 months then you will be one of the most senior sales people in the office.
Pros
Free health insurance.
Cons
Everything else about the job.
Official response from Professional Sports Publications
June 22, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you did not have a good experience. We can tell you that your opinions listed above are definitely counter the prevailing attitude in our Atlanta office where we have an extremely happy and productive office. Also, many of your statements are simply untrue.

Many of our reps have been with us for years and earn lucrative salaries and commissions. In all candor, the $200K mark is not particularly difficult to hit in this job. Extra bonuses and incentives are absolutely attainable. Many of our reps hit the requisite sales goals to make extra money. At the same time, it requires hard work to hit the marks. We are sorry you did not hit these marks but the goals are not meant to be easy.

The hours are not, and never have been 8:15-6:00. Also, we have no restrictions on breaks... and management in Philadelphia has nothing to do with breaks, etc. in Atlanta.

Lastly, being able to sell through the telephone and not meeting someone is detailed in the job description and interview process, so one should not take this job if that's not what they are looking for.

Psp
Advertisement Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 26, 2018
Great place start a career and develop skills that help you on a daily basis. Its a typical inside sales job that makes you work hard and make sales. A lot of phone calls
Good for recent grads
Advertising Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 27, 2018
Good place to get your feet wet in sales however, I would not recommend staying long. It's scripted sales so there is no way for you to think on your own which is what other sales companies will want.
Fun work place horrible management
Senior Ad Sales Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2018
Come in , you make calls, you go home , everyone hates the job but its a job. At the end of the year when you realize you have 400,000 in sales and your not seeing much of that , most people quit.
Pros
get tickets to suite events at MSG, high base salary, great work life balance
Cons
everything
Great Place to Work
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2018
I have worked at Professional Sports Publications for over 2 years now. In my entire time with PSP, I have never been treated with anything but the utmost respect and encouragement from my bosses both in my local branch, as well as upper management in corporate.
PSP is a great place to work, but it's not for those who aren't ready to work hard. It's highly competitive, and for those who are ready to get after it each day, there are plenty of opportunities to advance and hit various bonuses throughout the year.
Whether you're just getting out of college, or you are looking to switch careers to an exciting, fast-paced job where you have an opportunity to earn more money, the more work you put in, PSP is a fantastic option for you.
Pros
Opportunity to hit Monthly Bonuses, Don't take work home with you, Fun work environment
Great job to learn sales and business
Sales and Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 10, 2018
Good job to start career. Cannot mind putting in a lot of cold calls, generating your own leads. Overall great place to learn about sales and get your foot in the industry.
Great workplace with a competitive environment
Inside Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 27, 2017
PSP is a great start up sales environment for anybody looking to start and grow with a career in sales. It is highly competitive gives great motivation for young college graduates looking to find out if they have what it takes to thrive in a somewhat cutthroat sales environment. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get their start in the sales industry.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Little to no advancement long term. Capped ceilings financially. Schedule flexibility
Terrible management
DBA (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 9, 2017
This is a slow paced environment , with no possibilities to grow and discrimination towards non-Jewish workers. Self initiative is suppressed and management being ridiculously unreasonable.
College sweatshop
Advertising Sales Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2017
This place is awful. They will hire kids right out of college and blind them with a high salary. This is a sales position YET YOU NEVER RECEIVE ANY COMMISSION. You are cold calling from 8am-5pm non stop - about 250 calls a day, reading the same script. Theya re scamming companies so badly. NO NOT WORK THERE.
Wasn't what I expected
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 18, 2017
The job wasn't what I expected. I expected to be on the phone all day but wasn't expected to be arguing on the phone with secretaries all day. You're basically a glorified telemarketer. The management of the offices were great and really friendly and helpful but it was not what I expected.
Pros
hour lunch, get benefits after 30 days, decent pay
Cons
no job security
Terrible Place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2017
Management is always down your back listening to calls and really belittles you if you do not stick to their script. Pay is good but that is absolutely the only things good about it. Script is outdated and you are basically scamming people convincing them that administrators look at this publication and are actually impressed. All lies. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY
Psp
Ad Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 31, 2017
I loved Professional Sports Publications. I wish I did not have to leave, regardless I am ready to sail ship. I watched too many people struggle, quit, or get fired. I hope that my future endeavors can be as fun as PSP was but I hope the lows are as low.
Pros
Great Boss
Cons
Bad Enivornment, Popularity Contest, Cliques
outgoing sales
Customer Service (Ad Sales Director) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 3, 2017
cold calling businesses to advertising with publications...advanced to mid management, a lot of phone sales, some emailing.....the more you put into this job the more you would get out of it
Pros
good hours
Cons
no room for advancement
Competitive work environment.
Ad Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2017
Great company to learn invaluable skills necessary to drive your sales career forward. Easy to work with other people and good culture. You really get close with your colleagues and you can tell that it is a family run company.
High commission possibilities, bad management
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PADecember 12, 2016
Working with Professional Sports Publications was a bitter sweet experience. The company itself prides itself on selling printed ad space in sports game day programs which can be a tough sell because a lot of advertising has gone digital at this point.

Pros- Great co-workers, very strong training program, great sales training.

Cons- High turnover, inconsistent standards set by management.
Terrible place to work
Advertising Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 16, 2016
Bunch of egomaniacs. This place is terrible and management is a joke. The only good thing about this job is the compensation, but the benefits are a joke. They get rid of one person a month so there is no job security and no room for advancement.
Pros
Experience
Official response from Professional Sports Publications
July 19, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience at PSP. This is certainly not the norm. The overwhelming feedback we receive from our employees is that PSP is an exciting, fun place to work where you are very well taken care of. We take great pride in creating a welcoming and exciting environment for our employees and hate to hear you did not get that experience here. Your feedback is helpful and much appreciated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Professional Sports Publications. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5