Professional Transportation, Inc.

Professional Transportation, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States582 reviews
A company who compensates poorly for a job requiring you to be called anytime of the day.
Be aware that this company has an onboard camera system which red lights quick stops, You will be assessed points against you for avoiding accidents. Although the driver reacted in a safe manner. The Company has an established evaluation system based on a pre-ordained calculation of how a stop should be judged. Which overrides the real-life circumstances in the drivers experience. You will find that the company is your enemy. You knowing/being a safe driver doesn't matter. Just know, their evaluation system is unfair and will always hold you as culpable. Their system is in need of an overhaul by someone with common sense and good driving skills.

You will experience disorganization on the local level. Where you will be asked to drive back to back runs pushing you to limits only a professional truck driver would be capable to pull off.

Some of the reasons for this are.

1.Not enough drivers who are willing to be on call working the late hours. So you will be called upon constantly to fill the wee hours of the morning calls

2. Periods when the railroad needs many crews transported and the PTI drivers are not enough to cover them.

And lastly,
Pros
Loved the driving part, Crews were most enjoyable
Cons
Pti is not a quality company. Poor compensation for being on call 24/7
Worked there for several years (not easy for handicapped people to get good jobs!!) no appreciation, pay is horrible, managers show way too much favoritism, most vans we used were a piece of junk, company wouldn't fix vans in a timely manor! company would not give us our raise from the contract that they signed. Honestly... probably the worst company I've ever wasted my time on..RUN from this company!!!
Pros
The railroaders we hauled werte pretty good people
Cons
no pay!, stupid hours!, absolutely the poorest management I've ever seen
It may be the best paying of the three/four major railroad transportation companies but that’s not saying a lot. Horrible management from the CEO/President all the way down. Dispatchers don’t care about drivers rest hours due to pressure from their supervisors to get butts in seats. Managers worked 24/7/365 with less compensation than most minimum wage paying jobs in America. The vehicles are the worst upkept vehicles in the business. The systems they use are outdated. Like the railroad they preach safety but literally DO NOT care about your safety as again they only care about butts in seats. Local drivers make dirt poor poverty wages. CD drivers get to travel and make a little better wages but still not good enough for the stress this company causes you.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Company run by Hitler!
A decent job and a fair wage for what you do, but it isn't a career. The compensation for your time spent on the clock doesn't seem adequate. A lower, but reasonable hourly rate would be fairer for those that put in long hours, rather than the mileage and "by the trip" rate.
You're on call for as long as you can stand it--some stay on 24/7 to get trips. You can be on call for 24 hours and not get a trip, If you go off duty they can still call you to go out, even if you aren't rested. Trips can last 1 hour or 12+. You drive train crews to their trains or other depots. You drive vehicles with 100,000-350,000 miles on them. You get paid hourly--but NOT while on call, ONLY while driving or assisting crews at trains. You do get paid mileage, but it's only 20 cents a mile. And you may not get paid both at the same time. No company loyalty, corporate management is horrible, local management varies but often not much better than corporate. Little communication within the branch, drivers are demeaned by train crews and the hours suck. Since the covid hit, very little activity on the railroad, so not many trips for drivers...
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Pretty good company overall but very unorganized. (Management)
Long wait periods to get a call for a pickup some days you don’t get called at all . Overall it’s a good job
You know what they say. If you don't have nothing nice to say don't say it at all. My last few Local managers have been very nice and will fight and work with you.
When I first started at PTI. I had the best manager, she was supportive, she knew that the drivers and the vehicles were the priority in the company, and if you work with them, they will work for you.
However, PTI corporate is horrible! They have no idea what the true priority is. When raises were made by the union, PTI refused to pay drivers- it was a 3 year battle in court to get the money, after wining, PTI refuses to pay. They fired anyone associated with the law suite and claim we are not owed.

PTI keeps letting go of good drivers, refuse to keep vehicles safe, and taken in for regular maintenance. Vehicles need to have dealership service contracts, and be no more the 3-4 years old.

PTI corporate have extravagant events that cost too much yet say they cant pay the drivers a livable wage. We work 12 hour shifts.

Love the job its self, wish I could go back to just the job, PTI will black list employees for no reason.

It is PTI corporate team that need to be removed! There are too many making a

Paycheck and not-doing anywork! Most of them are worthless, and have no point to their job.

Make corporate drive for 30 days straight- with only contact with dispatch in their region- maybe they will learn something for once! The Drivers and vehicles are the most important part of the company!
PTI is not a dream job to have, management sucks don't give a dam about you as a human been all they want is warm body in the driver seat. Safety is a joke, but they want you kiss the railroad butt as far as the van you drive, open and close the door on the van after the crews get in, this not a limo service close your own door.
Corporate Management has always been bad but recently local management has,deteriorated to the point of being hostile. This is a shame because local management used to be great. There is high turnover. Manager now plays favorites - bad for morale.
This seemed like it would be a great job, It was not. The railroad crews were usually friendly and very nice. The local management and some coworkers were very nice to your face then they would talk behind your back or worse.

The benefits are a joke, the union is worthless, corporate management and safety is the absolute worst I have seen in my 16 years working.
Terrible company to work for, no raises, company shorts drivers pay, no advancement, terrible management. Management changes rules daily to fit their needs at the time.
As a yard driver the job was enjoyable. Over the road not as much for me. There didn't seem to be enough work to be considered full-time. I needed full time work to pay bills. The yard driving was a full time position.
Long hours, lots of miles for a little pay. Favoritism, cliques and brown-nosing galore! Higher ups will shake your hand with one hand and stab you in the back with the other. Glad to be out. Good riddance.
Were treated very fair supervisors and above are willing to sit down and talk to you and they listen to you if you have an issue or problem they go out of their way to solve it
I worked there for a few years. No cost of living. Or raises. Your on call for 12hrs. You might get a run. Waste of time waiting. Manager gives runs to her favorite people. You might get a 4hr run.
Pros
You meet crews and other drivers
Cons
Bad management. Company doesn't care about there employees. No raises
Management cares little or nothing about its employees.
The Union is still fighting in court to get the pay raise agreed on two contracts ago.

AVOID this place, unless you like being crapped on, on a daily basis.

Railroad workers don't treat you much better.
What they don't tell you when they hire you is that even though you're paid by the hour, you don't start getting paid by the hour until you accept a trip. So if you get a short trip, which is a trip under 50 miles, you only make $22 for that trip. If you get a trip over 50 miles, you may make a decent amount for that trip depending on where you have to go and how many hours you spend on that trip. And then you have days to where it's slow and you dont get a trip at all which means you don't make any money for your whole 12 hour shift. you have to go and
The manager made inappropriate advances toward me. The pay promised was misleading i made less than minimum wage. No work life balance. my last check for two weeks was 300.00. Bad company
I worked this company twice for a total of about 4 years, I only got a raise once and that was cost of living. U are in the van most of the time sleeping, playing on your phone, and only working about 20% of your shift
the Crew members we transport are great and the driving is relaxing and beautiful... PTI itself is a corrupt business only out for itself that regularly screws over its employees that it might save a little extra money.. the vans only get repaired or serviced when absolutely necessary.. the manager lives 3 hours away and works out of her house even though the company pays for an office.. we only see her for safety meetings( every 2 to 3 months) or if we are being written up for something.. the company has been in court since 2015 fighting to prevent themselves from having to honor a contract with the employees union to pay a raise.. they feel that the 1 cent per hour pay increase given to tier 5 employees (branch managers and above) meets the agreements requirements...
Pros
long drives and beautiful sceenery
Cons
pay per mile only which doesnt even add up to minumum wage more often than not
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Professional Transportation, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5