Progress Foundation Employee Reviews

Overall, the working culture is good.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 8, 2019
I usually tried to work with everyone. My co-workers are capable in terms of communicate with the managers, and I think it's great!
best place ever to work
MENTAL HEALTH REHABILITATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 4, 2019
they really are a special company to work for. their ethics are very close to my heart, and I will always cherish the relationships and people I have grown close to while working there.
If you're in the mental health field to change lives and make a difference, this is the place for you.
COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAAugust 6, 2019
The co-workers and management are very supportive and great to work with. The work is at times challenging but very rewarding as well. Progress Sonoma is by far the best place I've worked in the mental health field so far. If I didn't have to relocate from the area I would still be working there.
Get experience
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 3, 2019
I'd recommend working here to gain experience in the mental health field for those pursuing a career in mental health. Intrinsically rewarding but don't expect a decent salary for all the work you'll be doing. Mgmt. needs training, desperatly, in how to manage people. Watch out for the antisocial, bully cslrs.
Positive culture shock
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Sonoma County, CAMay 3, 2019
Imperfect but one of the best residential mental health agencies I’ve worked for. Every location is unique, Sonoma county locations are particularly favorable in culture, promotion, accountability and on site support.
This work is not for the faint of heart, not a long term position
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 25, 2019
Management is a large load to carry here. Staffing challenges often result in having to fill in the gaps yourself, day or night. The PTO accumulates well over time if you devote years to the company. While that is attractive, staying with the agency for that long takes a toll on one's health. The agency does not nurture or take care of employees to prevent burn out. There are large gaps with upper management and the CEO.
Needs improvement.
Full time Counselor (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Used to enjoy working here but over time the culture shifted as did the management and it created a hostile environment where people are held accountable for other shifts not doing their job appropriately.
You get what you put in.
Relief Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 16, 2018
This was a great, flexible job. I enjoyed working there, and if it was part of the career field that I was looking to work in I would have stayed, but that wasn't the case. Regardless, I was a great place to work.
The McDonalds of Mental Health
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 14, 2018
Progress has gone down hill on so many levels its really quite a shame. A formerly forward thinking, progressive agency who cared about staff who offered regular training and support with a family vibe, has turned draconian with super incompetent upper management that have zero interest in training and investing in their staff. Upper management are completely far removed from the boots on the ground staff and the programs. They are set in their ways, wont listen or be open to any thing different and rely on fear tactics to improve situations. Unfortunately this draconian style spills over into management then to staff hence the crazy turn over. I wonder if upper management care at all the amount of turn over this company has now compared to years ago. Turn over years ago was practically non existent, now it’s like someone quits or gets fired on a weekly basis. PF is the McDonalds of the mental health agencies where quality of product is cheap and generic with numbers being the only agenda. Caring about staff or management is not part of the mission.

Progress Foundation does good work helping those in need with the social rehab model which is progressive and enables you to work with clients on a more relaxed level. I have experienced some very caring staff and management, but unfortunately, there are too many staff and management who lack clinical skills, understanding, diversity, empathy, and just plain common sense which could improve with regular clinical training, investment, and staff development. The results would be staff learn and do a better job, the clients
  more... benefit from clinically strong staff, clients thrive, staff thrives, management thrives, agency thrives, and a good reputation builds. This company has lost their mission and values and needs a 360 degree overhaul all the way from the tip top on down. They harp on how important serving their clients are, yet don’t follow that same philosophy or have any consideration or care for front line staff with whom this agency would not exist.

If you work here this is what you will deal with:

Cons: Very irregular work schedule (including overnights which wont be negotiated), long shifts (10-12 hours in most cases) incompetent upper management, poor communication within the agency, incompetent program management (depends on which program you work in) tons of paperwork that you will get little to no training on how to do, no regular clinical training or training to improve your skills, lack of professionalism across the board. Horrible computers, phones, and copiers which always seem to break down. This company is cheap and doesn’t feel investing in good office furniture or equipment is important. Most of the programs are run down and old, dirty, aesthetically unappealing, and with mostly cramped working quarters. This is a union job and salary is based on the union contract and besides the initial 5 year track, expect meager if any pay increases. The list really does go on but I’m going to stop here.

Pros: Solid benefits with generous time off, you get to meet and work with some really interesting staff and clients, you get to feel good that you are helping people through very difficult times. Working in homelike environments changes the dynamic to more laid back than working in an out patient or hospital setting. Decent work/ life balance depending on the individual and lifestyle.

This agency may or may not work for you, it just depends on who you are and what your looking for. I can only speak from my experiences.

Quote from Richard Branson: “Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so that they don't want to".
Pros
See below
Cons
See below
A place to hone counseling skills and gain mental health experience
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Napa, CANovember 5, 2018
I really enjoy the people I work with and the work I do. My team is close-knit and does a good job of supporting each other. I have benefited greatly from trainings, staff meetings, supervision, and the countless hours of direct care with the Clients.
Fantastic company
Counselor (Transitional Program) (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 6, 2018
Great culture, has a set of values and they work hard to live up to them. Lots of support from management from the top to the bottom. Difficult work but meaningful. Very positively oriented with a positive working environment. Lots of opportunity for growth, change and movement within the agency.
Pros
Great company, great culture, positive environment, great management, great benefits
Cons
can be difficult work, not for everyone; schedules aren't for those who prefer the "9-5"
Meaningful work, lots of time off, brutal pace
Mental Health Rehabilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 31, 2018
I've experienced a lot of camaraderie at Progress- its genuinely fun to work there. But the pace can be brutal. A typical day is full of reassuring, deescalating , and motivating low or no income clients in mental health crises (frequently with a co-occurring substance abuse
disorder), documentation, case management, HIPAA compliance, facilitating therapeutic groups, and coordinating discharge planning.
We are tasked with receiving up to two people a day, and this can be challenging. I feel that we are given few resources with which to do our job. That being said, it is enormously rewarding to know that we are part of helping people return to more stability and functionality.
Pros
seeing someone move to a more comfortable place in their life
Cons
two intakes a day
Great opportunity to help those who truly need it
Relief Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 19, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Progress Foundation. I found the work to be rewarding and inspiring. However, with a Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology, I felt that San Francisco Minimum Wage was way below what I felt I deserved and needed to survive.
Pros
Free meals, great work
Cons
Long hours, low wages
management not qualified for their position s
Dore Residence - Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 8, 2018
This is an entry level job into the field of social work. You will gain lots of knowledge about medical billing, crisis interventions, diagnosis, as well as network within the CBHS umbrella in order to meet many other fellow social workes that can be a valuable resource for your current and future jobs.
Pros
you can be creative in creating your groups
Cons
tast paced and can be overwhelming at times
Working here was great.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJune 1, 2018
Lots of paperwork and interaction with some of the most interesting cases in the mental health system. The workplace and coworkers were sometimes cool but they had a habit of talking behind the backs of others. Would not work here again, glad I quit a while ago.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
Sometimes didn't feel supported by coworkers.
Fun place to work with co worker support
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CADecember 21, 2017
Everyone at my program is friendly and cooperative, we all help each other other out to ease the workload of the day. Working with peoplenwith mental illness gives you a sense if what the field is like able you work closely with outside providers to help clients have a successful transition.
Cons
You have to work at least one overnight shift
stress free environment
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Napa, CASeptember 21, 2017
Overall a wonderful place to work if psychology and/or social work is your career choice. Progress Foundation knows what they're doing, and they help a LOT of people. It's awe inspiring, and I hope I can continue to help them as they grow
This is quite possibly the worst mental health non-profit in the Bay Area.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoAugust 19, 2017
Where do I start? Burned-out counselors? Poor facilities? Bad management? Hostile work environment? All of the above? Yes, all of the above. Run, away, as fast as you can. There are plenty of other non-profits that are much, much better than this one. They act more like a corporation with little regard for anyone's well-being. It is a culture of fear rather than a culture of appreciation and support. Are these social workers or are they cogs in the corporate machine? Definitely the latter as they have no concern for staff development or having any real insight into what is best for the organization. The training is sub-par at best and some of counselors are rude, disrespectful and shouldn't be working in social work. I could go on and on, but I will spare you, and please spare yourself from even entertaining becoming an employee of this deplorable organization.
Survivor Island type of Workplace
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 10, 2017
I worked for Progress Foundation for many years and can give an honest critique. I believe that this is OK job for someone wanting experience in the mental health field, a recent college grad for example. All others run! The clientele is extremely difficult to work with and full-time staff will be tasked with treatment plans and progress notes that have little to do with the actual work. If you are not a nurse or upper management you will not get paid enough. Enough is subjective but after spending sometime providing direct service you will understand. They expect a lot of mental and physical labor that is not comparable to what you earn; even reconciling its a non-profit does not ease the pain. Do you have even a smidgen of cultural competence; great if you do because your coworkers will be angry sullen "millennials" that have no idea how to engage with the clientele (making your job that much harder). If you are a angry millennial that has negative preconceived ideas about "urban" people apply because Progress can't get enough of you. You are at risk of physical harm in this job and while I was working there there was no real concrete safety plans to protect staff from violent clients. Most line staff that provide direct service will have to work over nights an addition to day shifts which can wreak havoc on your health. You won't get promoted, no chance for advancement. Even if you been there for 15 years, you will see a parade of young women with little experience from outside the agency getting supervisory positions. I learned a lot from my time here and the experience  more... was invaluable; those are the good points. If you are considering a job in the mental health field and want some fast and furious hands on experience with San Francisco's most vulnerable population this is place. Good luck!  less
Pros
good experience, generous days off, good for students
Cons
dangerous, taxing emotionally, low pay, no advancement, coworkers
Good staff members
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 30, 2017
I have had a good experience working for Progress so far, management is flexible with me and supportive. The nature of the job + the clients are challenging for me personally, which can be difficult with 12 hour shifts.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible management
Cons
difficult clients