Progress Rail Employee Reviews

I love working here, great union shop.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  La Grange, ILDecember 8, 2018
The La Grange facility is a UAW union shop, and that's probably the reason why this particular shop formerly known as EMD ( Electro Motive Diesel ) is the best Progress Rail to work at, we're paid pretty well and we're treated pretty well too. All the other Progress Rail's around the country screw things up, and it is brought back to our plant to fix. We work two shifts, 1st and 2nd, but we also get OT when needed, and sometimes it's mandatory, also per contract we also get bonuses every 3 months and everytime a new contract is signed.
Pros
Union shop with union pay and benefits
Cons
Caterpillar is the parent company
Interview
Quality (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 4, 2018
Interviewed here. They asked if I could work 2nd shift and I told them no. They asked if Saturdays were a problem and I told them yes. Still got called the next morning and offered the position. Desperate for bodies.

10 hours per day, 6 days per week, and that's before OT.

I'm sure the pay would have been decent, but I didn't bother letting their offer get that far. I've got a kid at home I'd like to watch grow up.

High turnover will continue until policies are changed.
Pros
willingness to train, all the hours you wish to work
Cons
ALL the hours you wish to work
Low pay for the type of work, decent insurance
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Alorton, ILDecember 2, 2018
Good place to get your foot in the door to the railroad industry, poor choice for a long term career. Working conditions suck, cold, drafty buildings, very hot in thr summer. Equipment not maintained well, and they're too cheap to buy decent machines, but expect too notch quality.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay
Be very careful where you work
Management (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYNovember 27, 2018
This place is as cut throat as they come. Management that have no idea what they are doing is commonplace. They are shutting down repair shops left and right so do not believe whatever lies that the company will tell you. Organized chaos and people who have zero business being in their respective positions is the rule at least in car repair. There are other business units that are well run so this is not a condemnation of them as a whole.

Just be careful. Wages and PTO are both below industry standard. Unsafe and old equipment and buildings.
Pros
None at this particular unit.
Cons
Just a number, no feedback from poor management, management who should not be there. Interoffice relationships and closed doors are the norm.
Thier are favorites. And good people you work with and people you wouldnt want to work with
Crossing Assembler (Former Employee) –  KentuckyNovember 26, 2018
Good company, ok management. There is alot of favoritism. Also some employees that like to mess.with newer employees and push it to far occasionally . I was told it was a welding job, then after being hired learned it was about 8 percent welding.
Pros
Benifites and ok pay
Cons
Enviorment
Scrap Iron Business
Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2018
Company that focuses on scrap rebuilt. Bought out EMD and replaced an OEM global name with unknown name and lack of dedication to new technology implementation. Unstable company being run by inexperienced lack of knowledge executive leaders and not understand combustion systems applications. Lack of commitment to its employees.
Pros
annual employee lunches
Cons
lack of new technology research, unstable leadership decision making
Coworkers are pretty awesome
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 14, 2018
If you get a job here don't plan on keeping it long. Continue your job search. You'll either get burnt out quick or get fired over someone not liking you.
Pros
Lunch is catered in from different places....for day shift only you do have to buy it.
Cons
Long hours, no advancement opportunities, good ol boy system
Typical rail job
Locomotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Morrill, NENovember 12, 2018
The people make the job worth while. Overall the company was great to work for. The shop was sold and employees were considered terminated. Health benefits were great.
Not what was told to employees
Material Handler/ shipping recieving (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 11, 2018
During orientation we were sold a dream about how the company wanted to provide an experience but clearly that wasnt relayed to the management. There is no clear training in place for new people. You are expected to jump right in a know part numbers locations part names and exactly how things run in dept. Over all it's very overwhelming to start any job and be expected to function and know everything about the business like the employees that have been doing the job for years. If the management doesnt have adequate time or the means to train people then maybe they shouldn't be hiring new people. Management saying that his staff was stupid incompetent and lazy because they didnt want to work 14 + hours a day is really unprofessional. Half his dept was under 90 days but was expected to know everything even during a major warehouse move tht was done wrong and very confusing. Work to home life was none existent. Needing to leave on time for dr apts meant you were made to feel bad but management. Insurance was messed the entire time I was there as well but they took their money
Pros
Ok pay and close commute
Mismanaged unorganized
Material Handler? (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 11, 2018
Material handler position they post is a trick and a joke they literally put out on the floor and expect you to know what you're doing with absolutely no training, everyone is to busy to help because their own job so you're pretty much on your own with a sheet of paper with numbers you have no clue what, where or how, parts you may be looking for you have no idea what it looks like, a few of my experiences: I was told on my 3rd day of work after a little frustrating (that this is the way it is and you don't like it you could go home) upon my initial interview we agreed on one pay rate and to later find out I was not getting paid what we agreed on, I was threatening about not having a job on occasion, billion dollar company and the outside equipment ran like junk which would make it extremely difficult to perform my job, supervisor had no sense of urgency does not training, very immature and very unprofessional, would sit around and talk with other employees about another employee making derogatory remarks, I'm almost sure when it came to certain employees race played a factor, I had items come up missing, had personal items destroyed only for them to turn a blind eye when I spoke on it, it was ok for certain employees to do certain things but not for some when we both did the same job.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not a good place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 5, 2018
Worst company I ever worked for in montgomery al hr is so pathetic back staber manager sorry as the come to get any where there you have to tell on people never would recommend working there at montgomery plant
Pros
Not many
Cons
Poor mangement
productive
Demolition Worker (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 29, 2018
if you love to travel and work this is the perfect job for you because when you finish one job you might have to travel to a different state to work..
Cons
hour lunch break
My experience at Progress Rail
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 29, 2018
Built kits for deliveries to production areas to assemble locomotives. The work culture was average but worried about safety in warehouse dealing with ladders and forklifts. Management was average. But the warehouse is efficient.
Pros
Building kits, helping coworkers and deliveries
Cons
Safety and undecisiveness
productive
Grinder Operator (Former Employee) –  Danvers, ILOctober 25, 2018
good learning experience. great people to work with. management isn't the greatest. good pay and benefits. its hard work but gets easier the more you work
Decent Company to work for
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 24, 2018
I worked for PRS for eight years and it's a nice place to work. The people are great and they really try to live by the core values. Good company culture.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Compensation and stability
Safe work environment with lots of opportunity for advancement
Lead Assembler (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 24, 2018
Awesome pay and benefits. Company is looking for people with good moral character, self motivated and have the ability to quickly learn new skills and put them to use on a daily basis.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Long work weeks sometimes to meet customer demands
Terrible Place to Work For, Would Never Recommend It to Anyone
Manager (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 21, 2018
This place already has a bad reputation: the management team changes often, a lot of lay offs, lack of stability, bad culture, lack of communication, and discrimination based on race. I would never recommend it to anyone. Look for a job somewhere else!
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Stability, Bad Management
Fun place to work
Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 18, 2018
Long hours but the pay and benefits were great. You could talk to management and they would help you figure out the problem. Work directions need to be a little clearer.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of materials
no company i would have a career with
inventory materia handler (Former Employee) –  Riverside, MOOctober 1, 2018
I went to lunch with a co worker and we only have 30 minutes it takes us 10 minutes to get to the gas station and back about 15 the most take 10 minutes to eat and you back to work on time and I was but it wasn't anything to do so I went to go help in another dept. but my supervisor thought I was walking around and I wasn't I was seeing who need help and help them til he come back out his office to tell use about another shipment coming in so we can unload the dock and put it up in the warehouse, so he thought I was late from lunch but how could I when I road with someone and they had to be back on time they are a lead and I don't like missing out on money and if I like my job I will work hard and steady
Pros
you got all the overtime you want if it was some
Cons
but the managemnt team not professional and the pay is not that good
Was a great place to work....
Materials specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 18, 2018
The management team in the materials department was a clique. If you weren't in don't expect fair raises, or promotions. The supply chain management talked terribly to employees and treated them all like dirt. Before the regime took over it was a great place to be. Unfortunately you have to be a buddy of a boss to make the job fruitful.
Pros
Benefits, vacation time, neat industry
Cons
Management, weekends don't exist, he could care less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progress Rail. Our community is ready to answer.