Progress Rail Employee Reviews

Terrible Place to Work For, Would Never Recommend It to Anyone
Manager (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 21, 2018
This place already has a bad reputation: the management team changes often, a lot of lay offs, lack of stability, bad culture, lack of communication, and discrimination based on race. I would never recommend it to anyone. Look for a job somewhere else!
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Stability, Bad Management
no company i would have a career with
inventory materia handler (Former Employee) –  Riverside, MOOctober 1, 2018
I went to lunch with a co worker and we only have 30 minutes it takes us 10 minutes to get to the gas station and back about 15 the most take 10 minutes to eat and you back to work on time and I was but it wasn't anything to do so I went to go help in another dept. but my supervisor thought I was walking around and I wasn't I was seeing who need help and help them til he come back out his office to tell use about another shipment coming in so we can unload the dock and put it up in the warehouse, so he thought I was late from lunch but how could I when I road with someone and they had to be back on time they are a lead and I don't like missing out on money and if I like my job I will work hard and steady
Pros
you got all the overtime you want if it was some
Cons
but the managemnt team not professional and the pay is not that good
Was a great place to work....
Materials specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 18, 2018
The management team in the materials department was a clique. If you weren't in don't expect fair raises, or promotions. The supply chain management talked terribly to employees and treated them all like dirt. Before the regime took over it was a great place to be. Unfortunately you have to be a buddy of a boss to make the job fruitful.
Pros
Benefits, vacation time, neat industry
Cons
Management, weekends don't exist, he could care less
Overall a strong company to work for, good stability, advancement opportunity, great benefits!
Staff Specialist (Current Employee) –  AlabamaSeptember 17, 2018
Dynamic company where change is prominent, strong sense of urgency is prevalent in the culture. Caterpillar owned is a bug plus. Decent work life balance and good people to work with who typically work to help each other be sucessful. The Servent Leadership mentality is refreshing as is evidenced in most of the leaders.

Must be flexible, adaptable and have the ability to perform in a sometimes ambiguous environment to thrive at Progress Rail.
Pros
Work life balance good and fair, strong benefits, education assistance, mostly good leadership
Cons
The "good ol boy" mentality seems to be seen in small pockets.
not a bad place to work
Plant Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TX 79118September 16, 2018
The company is a good place to work for the everyday person wanting to come in do his job and go home. unfortunately the pay is below the grade for the area and the chance to better yourself is also lacking.
Pros
retirement package, and the insurance
Cons
chance for advancement, and the pay
Managements SUCKS!
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 28, 2018
A typical day at Progress Rail was very stressful. Management doesn't acknowledge what you do right, only what you do wrong so that they can give you a bad evaluation. This could've been a good place to work if they got rid of the "good ole boy" system. The hardest part of the job was coming in working hard everyday and not being showing any appreciation for it. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a good group of guys that worked as a team,
Pros
No 2nd or 3rd shift
Cons
Short breaks
QA / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXAugust 27, 2018
I loved my job alot and help different departments on the floor and in the offices. The job taught me many things about office work. I learned many office skills when I was there. The people that work there were very friendly I knew everyone there. I got along with management very well I would say the hardest part about working at Progress Rail is that it is a fast pace company but I like Fast Pace I didn't like being idle. The best thing about Progress Rail where the people.
Pros
The people you work with are awesome there
Cons
I would say the long hours.
Great people to work with
ELECTRICAL ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 25, 2018
I really enjoyed my time working for Progress Rail. I, unfortunately, could not keep up with the fast paced walking I was required to do while repairing defects.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
Short breaks
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 15, 2018
40hr + work week. Working as a team is a big part of getting the job done in this company. Management are good people and take care of the employees. from start to finish it makes me feel good that we build a great product
day to day
Railroad Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 8, 2018
Working at Progress rail was fine. I didn't care for the buy out by caterpillar and then be placed under progress rail transportation. Electro motive deisall had lost all of it's autonomy.
like it.
Material Handler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  La Grange, ILAugust 7, 2018
great place i enjoyed the time there and would like to go back but i have greater place's to become apart of start with new things from life and want much more.
terrible
Carmen (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 6, 2018
everything about progress rail was terrible. very unorganized and uneducated about management skill. lack of employees and equipment. no true leadership.
Pros
knowledge of the railrod
Cons
management
Productive work
Second Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INJuly 27, 2018
you go in to a meeting and then get to the floor. Work is hard but manageable. Just keep up with your work and the day goes by a lot faster. Quotas need to be made.
Pros
good encentives
Cons
healthcare
Do not waste your time.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJuly 23, 2018
Management is absolutely horrible. Do not expect to have a life outside of work. Unrealistic and sometimes impossible expectations. Management has no experience in the work performed.
Pros
OK pay
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, Horrible management with lack of understanding or comprehension of how jobs are done.
Great Experience
Engineer II (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 18, 2018
Overall the experience I gained there helped develop me into the engineer I am. You're required to take on all sorts of tasks that you typically would not in most other companies.

The overall environment of the company is very poor though. Job cuts are very common as a way to cut costs. Promotions aren't given and you can sit in the same job every day for 20 years before you're ever given the opportunity to advance.

This is a great starting job for anyone coming out of college. They do a very good job of developing talent but don't stay too long.
Tough Work But Great Benifits
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Arab, ALJuly 9, 2018
The work at Progress rail can be very hard and strenuous but can be rewarding, and the benefits that you get are worth it if you can hang with the work load.
Pros
Great Benifits, Overtime
Cons
Tough work load, Long hours
Good company to work for
Inbound Railcar Inspector (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 4, 2018
An average day would be described as stressful and busy. I learned ultrasonic testing and railroad tank car requalification practices, welding and mechanical repairing of tank cars, quality control management, inspection of railcars, estimating railcar repairs according to AAR, FRA, and ASME codes and regulations, typing estimates and work orders. The manager is a very capable, and respectable person who is involved with the people he serves. I have no comment on workplace culture. The hardest part of the job for me was keeping up with work load duties, including ever changing rules and regulations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alone without supervision on big projects and contributing individually to the whole process.
Pros
Fair pay with good benefits
Cons
Demanding, fast paced, excessive rules and regulations.
great place
Coupler Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALJune 1, 2018
A great place to work. great benefits, great people,
the culture was good. the hardest part of the job was the heat and managing the work force.
Enjoyed the community out reach such as Christmas for Kids.
You really felt like family
Pros
great working envioroment
Cons
Fast paced/ heavy loads being lifted no ergonomics in place to help with tedious lifting.
Reconditioning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arab, ALMay 29, 2018
Long work day with little home work balance/ pay and benefits are good. No ergonomics in place. Breaks include 30 min linch and 2 15 min breaks oit if 12 hour day. Very resonable company to work for. If it wasnt for relocating i would still be there for the money.
Pros
Good pay and benifits
Cons
Long work day/ tediois/ non ergonomical very heavy lifting all day. Work/home balance ia poor.
Great job
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAApril 30, 2018
was a great job just repairing wheels on the train or anything else that was broken.Will learn lots like wielding and using hand tools and learning how to work trains

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progress Rail. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about