Progress Rail Employee Reviews

poor
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILFebruary 20, 2019
upper/ corp management did not treat employees fairly. corporate only sees the top dollar and does not put employee's well being and family in mind. As long as corporate investors made the billions they projected everything was ok.
Horrible place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INFebruary 18, 2019
Wouldn’t wish for my worst enemy to work here. The only god thing about it is you can make decent money other than that it is a bad company who treats their employees horribly.
Pros
Good group of guys to work with but no job security
Inspector (Current Employee) –  KentuckyFebruary 7, 2019
I genuinely liked working at Progress. I had the chance to learn a lot of useful information working on rail cars. One of the biggest things I didn't care much for was the lack of training. Once I was moved to a different position I heard a lot of talk about the guys getting ripped over doing something wrong, when no one showed them how to do it in the first place. Some of the management wasn't exactly ideal but in the department I was working in, I had a very knowledgeable boss who cared about our group and wasn't squeezing everything out of us he could. He sat us down and taught us things we needed to know and took the time to check on us, on both work and personal levels. I thought I had a career there until they came in and told us they were idling the plant due to "restructuring". Walking away from it, I learned a lot of lessons about what to do and what not to do. I have to give the personnel there credit, I gained quite a bit of knowledge in time with them but it was mainly due to the people around me, not the company.
Pros
Good people, good benefits and opportunity to learn
Cons
Poorly managed, lack of training and no job security
productive
Carmen (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 6, 2019
I learned a lot about the Rail Services at this job.
Typical day would be inspecting the Rail Cars , replacing break beam, welding, torching.
the most enjoyable time of the day was when the guys got a break together we could sit and talk about what things they had to do on the tracks.
Cons
short breaks not family oriented
Productive and fun
Maintenance Aide (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 22, 2019
The atmosphere was relaxed and fun while at the same interesting. There was always something different to do making for a different task everyday.Management was very helpful and informative about the task to be accomplished. The workplace was nice and informative the hardest part was being aware of all the needs of the different departments. the most enjoyable was the variety of tasks each day.
Management does not care about it's employees
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raceland, KYJanuary 22, 2019
I worked for them for almost 2 year's
When I had to take time off for health reasons. I was let go they said because of downsizing. The plant manager knew almost nothing about the railroad business.
Pros
They pay fairly well
Cons
Forced overtime, poor upper management
Dirty environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Taylor Mill, KYJanuary 16, 2019
Work environment was relaxed. Job required a lot of math and patience. I found myself cleaning a lot and preparing material, while machine Ran its course. Long hours and attention to detail is a must
Pros
Lunh hour paid
Cons
Very dirty work
Lots of overtime
EHS Manager (Current Employee) –  Waskom, TXJanuary 13, 2019
Progress Rail Services is a great place to work if you want overtime. However the management at the Waskom, TX. location needs to be trained better on how to be good Production management.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to make money.
Cons
Production Management is lacking in management skills.
it was a layback workplace
Spacer lnspectors (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 9, 2019
A very good place to work before it move from little rock to Alabama lots of people lost their jobs.manger was great and he got along with the employees on the job.
Pros
15m break
Cons
Break drug testing
Horrible conditons
Welder (Former Employee) –  Taylor Mill, KYJanuary 3, 2019
It was just a terrible place to work. Seriously terrible. whatever temp is outside thats how cold it is inside. period.

the trains come in full of snow from whereever its snowing then you get to cutting and welding and the snow melts onto the floor, there is no drainage, you end up laying in puddles or laying on ice that breaks into the water below, the bosses keep standing up and in good shape, you get the terrible work. There is too much safety training, you cant not get burnt, cold, overheated, something, its overall terrible
Great place to work, but no advancement
Polisher/Welder (Former Employee) –  Taylor Mill, KYDecember 30, 2018
Worked there for 3 1/2 years. Engineers and machinist would not do there job correctly and we would have to fix the same issues over and over again. New supervisor stepped in off our department and did not fix any of the issues that was a common problem that needed to be fixed. The employees there were great, but human resources and management liked to play favorites and move people in positions. Pay is great, but health insurance there started increasing and taking more out if your paycheck.
Pros
Holidays off, 4 day work week, sometimes 6 days a week, payed every week. 2 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch.
Cons
Favoritism, increase health insurance
I love working here, great union shop.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  La Grange, ILDecember 8, 2018
The La Grange facility is a UAW union shop, and that's probably the reason why this particular shop formerly known as EMD ( Electro Motive Diesel ) is the best Progress Rail to work at, we're paid pretty well and we're treated pretty well too. All the other Progress Rail's around the country screw things up, and it is brought back to our plant to fix. We work two shifts, 1st and 2nd, but we also get OT when needed, and sometimes it's mandatory, also per contract we also get bonuses every 3 months and everytime a new contract is signed.
Pros
Union shop with union pay and benefits
Cons
Caterpillar is the parent company
limited learning but benefits were outstanding
Plant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 4, 2018
Operation management were outstanding and trying really hard to improve the business, the software system was archaic but the people were accommodating.
Interview
Quality (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 4, 2018
Interviewed here. They asked if I could work 2nd shift and I told them no. They asked if Saturdays were a problem and I told them yes. Still got called the next morning and offered the position. Desperate for bodies.

10 hours per day, 6 days per week, and that's before OT.

I'm sure the pay would have been decent, but I didn't bother letting their offer get that far. I've got a kid at home I'd like to watch grow up.

High turnover will continue until policies are changed.
Pros
willingness to train, all the hours you wish to work
Cons
ALL the hours you wish to work
Low pay for the type of work, decent insurance
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Alorton, ILDecember 2, 2018
Good place to get your foot in the door to the railroad industry, poor choice for a long term career. Working conditions suck, cold, drafty buildings, very hot in thr summer. Equipment not maintained well, and they're too cheap to buy decent machines, but expect too notch quality.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay
Be very careful where you work
Management (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYNovember 27, 2018
This place is as cut throat as they come. Management that have no idea what they are doing is commonplace. They are shutting down repair shops left and right so do not believe whatever lies that the company will tell you. Organized chaos and people who have zero business being in their respective positions is the rule at least in car repair. There are other business units that are well run so this is not a condemnation of them as a whole.

Just be careful. Wages and PTO are both below industry standard. Unsafe and old equipment and buildings.
Pros
None at this particular unit.
Cons
Just a number, no feedback from poor management, management who should not be there. Interoffice relationships and closed doors are the norm.
Thier are favorites. And good people you work with and people you wouldnt want to work with
Crossing Assembler (Former Employee) –  KentuckyNovember 26, 2018
Good company, ok management. There is alot of favoritism. Also some employees that like to mess.with newer employees and push it to far occasionally . I was told it was a welding job, then after being hired learned it was about 8 percent welding.
Pros
Benifites and ok pay
Cons
Enviorment
Scrap Iron Business
Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2018
Company that focuses on scrap rebuilt. Bought out EMD and replaced an OEM global name with unknown name and lack of dedication to new technology implementation. Unstable company being run by inexperienced lack of knowledge executive leaders and not understand combustion systems applications. Lack of commitment to its employees.
Pros
annual employee lunches
Cons
lack of new technology research, unstable leadership decision making
Coworkers are pretty awesome
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 14, 2018
If you get a job here don't plan on keeping it long. Continue your job search. You'll either get burnt out quick or get fired over someone not liking you.
Pros
Lunch is catered in from different places....for day shift only you do have to buy it.
Cons
Long hours, no advancement opportunities, good ol boy system
Typical rail job
Locomotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Morrill, NENovember 12, 2018
The people make the job worth while. Overall the company was great to work for. The shop was sold and employees were considered terminated. Health benefits were great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progress Rail. Our community is ready to answer.