Progress Rail Employee Reviews

Tough Work But Great Benifits
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Arab, ALJuly 9, 2018
The work at Progress rail can be very hard and strenuous but can be rewarding, and the benefits that you get are worth it if you can hang with the work load.
Pros
Great Benifits, Overtime
Cons
Tough work load, Long hours
Decent pay, good benefits
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Alorton, ILJuly 5, 2018
Not a bad place to learn about the railroad industry. Lots of overtime to be had if you want to make the money. Management could do a better job at organizing the work load.
Benefits
Cons
Good company to work for
Inbound Railcar Inspector (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 4, 2018
An average day would be described as stressful and busy. I learned ultrasonic testing and railroad tank car requalification practices, welding and mechanical repairing of tank cars, quality control management, inspection of railcars, estimating railcar repairs according to AAR, FRA, and ASME codes and regulations, typing estimates and work orders. The manager is a very capable, and respectable person who is involved with the people he serves. I have no comment on workplace culture. The hardest part of the job for me was keeping up with work load duties, including ever changing rules and regulations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alone without supervision on big projects and contributing individually to the whole process.
Pros
Fair pay with good benefits
Cons
Demanding, fast paced, excessive rules and regulations.
great place
Coupler Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALJune 1, 2018
A great place to work. great benefits, great people,
the culture was good. the hardest part of the job was the heat and managing the work force.
Enjoyed the community out reach such as Christmas for Kids.
You really felt like family
Pros
great working envioroment
Cons
Fast paced/ heavy loads being lifted no ergonomics in place to help with tedious lifting.
Reconditioning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arab, ALMay 29, 2018
Long work day with little home work balance/ pay and benefits are good. No ergonomics in place. Breaks include 30 min linch and 2 15 min breaks oit if 12 hour day. Very resonable company to work for. If it wasnt for relocating i would still be there for the money.
Pros
Good pay and benifits
Cons
Long work day/ tediois/ non ergonomical very heavy lifting all day. Work/home balance ia poor.
Great job
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAApril 30, 2018
was a great job just repairing wheels on the train or anything else that was broken.Will learn lots like wielding and using hand tools and learning how to work trains
A dirty dusty environment with no climate control for it's workers and horrible management
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Taylor Mill, KYApril 26, 2018
Typically I show up to work and attend my morning safety meeting. Then I proceed to see if there is any work for my machine which should have been pressed by the night shift. At this point my supervisor usually fails to instruct me on my days' tasks so I have to either ask him myself or if he's not to be found I just assume my workload and do the best I can to find it. Most people in my department are great to work with but the workplace culture itself is
typically bummed-out 24-7. The hardest part of my job is management not holding people accountable for their actions. I really can't think of an enjoyable aspect of progress rail.
Pros
You get bullet heaters next to your machine for when it's below freezing!
Cons
401k matching
Good place to work. Great benefits
Machinist Operator (Former Employee) –  Peru, INApril 23, 2018
It was a good company to work for. Hours were full time and even over time was available. Had company picnics and parties. Got bonuses and 401 k. Nice employers
Benefits
Cons
Point system
positve place to work at
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVApril 17, 2018
very positive to work at progress
good benefits
vacation
company picnics
good boss
good hours
good pay
very caring about there workers
engagement was great
Pros
free food
Cons
jard work
long hours and bad morale
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 3, 2018
The company does not prioritize home life at all, tending to overwork it's employees, who are then extremely tired and do not have high spirits or enjoy their work, most employees are angry/negative at work. Overall it is a very exhausting environment to work in, but the job is good and the pay and benefits are great so if you can stand to be working insane overtime with tired, crabby employees it's good money.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Ridiculous hours, negative team environment
Great place
Mechanic 3 (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 26, 2018
Was a great place the work and grow I'm glad I have had the time to be there and experience life I'm sorry we've had rampart ways and would recommend this job to anyone
productive
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYMarch 22, 2018
a typical day at work consisted of showing up on time. receiving your job assignment for the day read over it and get to it. Whatever railroad car you were assigned to may have multiple things to repair
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
long days
ok company to work for
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INMarch 17, 2018
ok favorism poor management good benefits health related starting out pay so so around $14 depending on what u do if they like you they put u where they want you if they dont u stay at position u came in at
Pros
steady work benefits
Cons
poor management
weekends off, good pay, good benefits
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Muncie,INMarch 8, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I had great coworkers good pay and good benefits. I also would say that as a company they are good to their employees the work environment is awesome
Pros
benefits pay and great co-workers
Productive place
Mechanic 1 (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 6, 2018
learned a lot about a variety of rail equipment and gained a lot of rail related certificates I learned about the manufacturer of kershaw rail equipment , I had the chance to totally rebuild rail equipment from frame repair , re wire , install motors and even paint equipment
Pros
Straight 8 hours a day no surprises
Cons
Health care, no advancement
fun place to work at,
Maintenance/Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEFebruary 26, 2018
just to make a story short i felt appreciated for what i did every day.
it gave me the energy and the confidence every day thay i was wanted and nedeed there. felt like a family orientaded place. very happy to have had the opportunity to work for a company like progress rail. it changed my life.
Pros
managers care about people they understand life problems.
Cons
very cold, Nebraska weather sucks
Great job, unique product, apathetic management
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INFebruary 21, 2018
This is a great place to work. Regardless of position, everyone contributes to building an incredibly unique product. There are a lot of good people who work here and the environment can be fun, and productive.

However; management is sub-par in some critical areas. No consideration is taken toward employees having a life or responsibilities outside of the company, and anyone who is not within a certain clique with the management team is subject to be blamed for managerial mistakes.

The department is understaffed due to terminations and unpredictable schedule changes. Safety is overpreached but undervalued, there is more concern with chasing people who smoke out of the designated areas than correcting legitimate issues that affect efficiency and personal safety.
Pros
Good coworkers, unique product, good benefits, and fair pay
Cons
Managerial inconsistencies, short-sighted leadership, and close-minded philosophies
If I could give it less than one star I would
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYFebruary 2, 2018
Seriously the worst job I ever had. The management team is a spineless group of two faced, pieces of human trash. You are treated worse than a Ho in a third world country. The pay is embarrassing. Honestly, if this is the only job that you can get, you'll be better off finding the tallest bridge or cliff that you can find and swan diving off of it.
Pros
There are actually a few good employees/fellow slaves.
Cons
Everything else
Great team
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INJanuary 24, 2018
Good atmosphere when days are good. When days are bad I was still happy to work there. Great benefits and decent pay when overtime is included. Which was almost always.
Welder/Fabricator/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 20, 2018
Overall a good place to work, great environment and people, pay and benefits are good as well. Room to advance within the company, work and home life depend on how busy the company is overall it is very manageable.
Pros
Good pay good people
Cons
gard place to get hired on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progress Rail. Our community is ready to answer.