Progress Rail Culture reviews

Managements SUCKS!
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 28, 2018
A typical day at Progress Rail was very stressful. Management doesn't acknowledge what you do right, only what you do wrong so that they can give you a bad evaluation. This could've been a good place to work if they got rid of the "good ole boy" system. The hardest part of the job was coming in working hard everyday and not being showing any appreciation for it. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a good group of guys that worked as a team,
Pros
No 2nd or 3rd shift
Cons
Short breaks
Good company to work for
Inbound Railcar Inspector (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 4, 2018
An average day would be described as stressful and busy. I learned ultrasonic testing and railroad tank car requalification practices, welding and mechanical repairing of tank cars, quality control management, inspection of railcars, estimating railcar repairs according to AAR, FRA, and ASME codes and regulations, typing estimates and work orders. The manager is a very capable, and respectable person who is involved with the people he serves. I have no comment on workplace culture. The hardest part of the job for me was keeping up with work load duties, including ever changing rules and regulations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alone without supervision on big projects and contributing individually to the whole process.
Pros
Fair pay with good benefits
Cons
Demanding, fast paced, excessive rules and regulations.
great place
Coupler Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALJune 1, 2018
A great place to work. great benefits, great people,
the culture was good. the hardest part of the job was the heat and managing the work force.
Enjoyed the community out reach such as Christmas for Kids.
You really felt like family
Pros
great working envioroment
Cons
A dirty dusty environment with no climate control for it's workers and horrible management
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Taylor Mill, KYApril 26, 2018
Typically I show up to work and attend my morning safety meeting. Then I proceed to see if there is any work for my machine which should have been pressed by the night shift. At this point my supervisor usually fails to instruct me on my days' tasks so I have to either ask him myself or if he's not to be found I just assume my workload and do the best I can to find it. Most people in my department are great to work with but the workplace culture itself is
typically bummed-out 24-7. The hardest part of my job is management not holding people accountable for their actions. I really can't think of an enjoyable aspect of progress rail.
Pros
You get bullet heaters next to your machine for when it's below freezing!
Cons
401k matching
weekends off, good pay, good benefits
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Muncie,INMarch 8, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I had great coworkers good pay and good benefits. I also would say that as a company they are good to their employees the work environment is awesome
Pros
benefits pay and great co-workers
Building custom locomotives was a challenging and rewarding position.
Area Manager Final Assembly (Former Employee) –  Muncie, IN 47302November 14, 2017
Building custom locomotives was a challenging and rewarding position. Interaction with the customer to ensure the locomotive meets their expectations was the most enjoyable part of the position.
Pros
Safety first.
Cons
N/a
Don't waste your time
Planner (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 31, 2017
This company is horribly mismanaged from the top down. It is a revolving door for people of all levels. In a year, there were more leadership changes than most companies experience in 5 or more, including 3 CEOs. The work culture is driven by fear and reacting due to lack of proper planning. Management changes work hours/days with zero regard for work/life balance and hourly employees are forced to work an ungodly amount of hours. Not a healthy environment and lacks stability.
Pros
Outstanding insurance benefits and 401K match
Cons
Poorly managed, good ole boy system, dishonesty and questionable ethics, forced OT, fear driven management approach
Fun people, but serious work.
QUALITY ASSURANCE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hudson, WIOctober 29, 2017
If you like CAD this is an awesome company to work for. The team is young and vibrant. Fantasy football is a fun activity that is common with most. The work is great if you can be detailed.
Laid back culture, poor communication.
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INOctober 18, 2017
Progress Rail has a laid workplace culture with long-term employees. However, the management communication is very poor. Upper management struggles to communicate effectively to the facility level.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CASeptember 22, 2017
Was a good job until the coal industry was brought to a halt and the trains were slowed to a crawl. I would still be working there if it weren't for politicians and politics.
Co-Workers excellent. Some bad managers left over from Good Old Boy Team, when EMD was part of General Motors
Process Engineering Management (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 14, 2017
Co-Workers excellent. -- Some bad old time managers kept, since they were part of the Good Old Boy Management team when EMD was part of General Motors
Pros
No Frills
Cons
No Frills
Stuctured work environment.
Team Lead Welder (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 31, 2017
A structured work environment with room to grow and learn. Team work played a key role in day to day work. The company offers competitive pay and benefits.
Productive when busy, management needs to be fired and redone with people with experience.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 16, 2017
Good place to work for money and overtime. Management could definitely be different on how they run business. But over great people to work with. Overall the place is ok.
Pros
Pay, people you work with, benifits
Cons
Manegment
No, No and again No!
Locomotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYJuly 25, 2017
good benefits but a place that is so miserable to work at that you are willing to work somewhere else for less money just so you don't have to work there
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
very hateful company culture
team work
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 12, 2017
In the time that was working in Progress Rail , I enjoyed working in a good job in a good team work in the area of fabrication , they always recognized my effort my job my attitude and quality with the things that I did in my job
Pros
free luches
productive job. building wheel bearing
Team Leader/Machinist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 7, 2017
very great job . very competitive team like job
good on your health. management is all for there workers. fair is needed because of the work. A plus
Pros
work makes your day go by fast
Cons
climate could be better
horrible all around
Machine Shop Lead Man (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 3, 2017
pay is not competitive everything revolves around butt kissing shop closed down and moved with out notifying employees with in a timely manner DO NOT WORK HERE
Heavy duty job, lots of hours, not well payed
Welder equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Vinton, TXApril 17, 2017
A typical day of work includes doing the same thing everyday. You do not learn anything new nor have the opportunity to practice new things. The workplace culture is nothing special, the hardest part of the job is doing the same thing everyday in the sun. The enjoyable part of the job is the overtime opportunity and benefits.
Pros
benefits, overtime
Cons
30 min lunch, low pay, no yearly raise
productive and fun
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEApril 16, 2017
Progress is a great place to work, fun and uplifting environment. The pay was fair and the benefits were great. I strongly recommend working for Progress Rail and Caterpillar.
Administrative assistant/HR
Administrative Assistant/HR Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAMarch 9, 2017
Progress Rail was a great place to work, I enjoyed my work and the people I dealt with. My expectations were to retire from Progress Rail but the company closed my location and I am not able to relocate.,
Pros
safety incentives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progress Rail. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about