Protective Life Corporation Employee Reviews

Protective Life is a conservative company in an ever-changing industry
Director of Creative Services (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 12, 2018
Protective Life is a successfully competitive business model within the financial industry. At one time the smallest of the nation's largest insurance companies, Protective Life recently acquired by Dia Ichi Life one of the world's largest insurance companies. The work environment is aggressive and every evolving. The work is challenging and satisfying. The metric used for performance are current and continuously improving.
Pros
Onsite fitness facility. Onsite nurse. Onsite cafeteria.
Cons
Displays a tendency to hire externally rather than promoting internally
Good place to explore new things
MSBI Developer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 8, 2018
Nice place to work and our team is super cool.. learned a lot,, there is nothing like hardest part in my job in protective life.very professional.....
Protective is a great organization. They do a lot for their employees and the community.
Manager, Case Management (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 12, 2018
Protective was a family oriented company when I first began my career 18 years ago. Through the years, the culture has changed. It has become less about the people, which was the biggest reason I enjoyed working here so much. I would still recommend working at Protective. We have great benefits. I have 6 weeks of paid vacation time. The culture has changed since the taken over of Daichi and other upper management changes. The most enjoyable part of my job is building relationships with customers and coworkers. The hardest part would be having difficult conversations with employees that I know were trying their best.
Pros
Vacation time, insurance benefits, cafeteria, gym, NPN on staff.
Cons
Just the change in culture
Consultant
Policyholder Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALOctober 21, 2017
Good working environment and good salary. Protective is good to employees. Requires constant update on education of products and services, due to the nature of the industry
independent work environment
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 21, 2017
nice place to work. over the phone interaction with customers, small departments make a large company more friendly. Hired for this position through a job agency
Great place. Has an onsite cafeteria and fitness center
Staff Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 12, 2017
Great place to work. Friendly environment. Treated fairly. Offer tuition reimbursement. Have an onsite fitness center and cafeteria. Most departments allow you to leave at 3 on Friday.
Daily work
Shipping and Delivery Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 7, 2017
Take and fill orders for client and Sales persons. Mostly investment/retirement products. Annuities, etc.. Also kept up with inventory and re-stocking.
Pros
Got to move around a lot
Cons
Still in an office
Protective is a good work environment
Contract Services Associate I-II (Current Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILJune 1, 2017
Cool place to work. Not alot of flexibility a basic 8am-5pm job. Management is okay. Protective needs to be up with the times of today work enviroment.
Managers aren't great!
Contract Services Associate II (Current Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILMay 12, 2017
Not the best place to work at. Management is horrible. Do not back their employees up. The expect too much from employees with little pay. Reviews are based on if your manager likes you.
Protective
Contract Services/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILMay 7, 2017
Growing company with opportunity advancement. They offer many different positions in several departments. Well staffed, great managers, that are well knowledged
I do not regret spending the last eighteen years at Protective.
Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 15, 2017
worked for Protective for 18 years. Retired from Protective with excellent employment history. Very good company which meets all your rating requirements
Pros
good benefits including wellness
Cons
differences of employees who are hourly versus salary
Upstanding Morals, Great People
Manager, Contact Center Operations (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 6, 2017
The employees are some of the friendliest you will ever meet. The company has strong morals and does a lot of work in the community. I have learned so much in my time here.
A very family oriented place to work
Operations Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 21, 2017
it is a great job for anyone who is young and want to grow with a company. it is a dress casual place of business. Friendly co workers and a good work place.
Pros
Good Benefits
Very low pay, subpar benefits
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNFebruary 28, 2017
Extremely low pay for what the job entails. Micromanagers that expect overtime. Some employees work two jobs to make ends meet. You are expected to clock in and out for breaks, lunch, worktime, etc. Very big brother and like an assembly line at a factory. Someones making money there but its not the people doing the actual work.
Pros
Its a job but thats about it.
Cons
Low pay, low benefits, no room for advancement or work life balance.
Productive place to work
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 12, 2017
Overall a good company to work for. Education is available to further your skills. Ability to work remote is also available if you wish to. Co-workers offer assistance when needed
Pros
On site fitness facility
Cons
Benefits, helathcare
Great coworkers horrible managment and training
Claim exaiminer (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 19, 2016
I was employed with protective for 5 years. I lived an breathed this company. I started in the annuity contact center and worked very hard to be as productive as I could and master all of the different products that were handled. After being burned out by call center work and a new system being put in place that monitors every second of your day, I applied for a position in the claims department. The training in this department was awful I was trained by a representative who was barely meeting their own goals. My systems were not fully up and running for 6 months. I struggled to met expectations which no one else was held to besides me (every claim looked at 100%). It was an awful transition hr ended up getting involved and was shocked at the lack if training I received. The training in the call center was also awful I learned everything on my own, with no financial background. This is not a good choice if you have done the exact same work at another life insurance company. The pay is slightly higher than average but the amount of stress is not worth the one or two dollars more an hour. I reffered a few people to this company while working there and no one stayed longer than a few months, and they were qualified canitdiates.
Pros
Great volunteer opputunties, awsome coworkers, slightly higher pay than comparable companies
Cons
Horrible managment, micro managing, managment acted very superior. Awful training
Room For Improvement
Operational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 29, 2016
Overall, the company structure doesn't allow for vertical movements. The management does not work well with employees, nor do they feel invested in those employees. Ultimately, I resigned from the position.
Pros
Community involvments, paid holidays
Cons
Micomanagement, Lack of conern for personel
Good job
IT analyst intern (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILNovember 19, 2015
I liked it and it was a good IT experience.. I would work there again. My boss was awesome and the job was not stressful. I also learned a lot of new things.
Productive environment
Insurance Administration (Current Employee) –  BirminghamSeptember 21, 2015
Productive environment. Supportive Management. Decent amount of red tape and politics but expected of a company of that size. Great support group and coworkers who loves to help.
Typical call center
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 28, 2015
My typical day consists of logging into a phone system and conducting interviews. There is an occasional shift between inbound and outbound calls and call times are widely ranged.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Protective Life Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Protective Life Corporation Reviews by Location