Proterra Employee Reviews

Great teammates, Free Food, Poor Management
Electrical Associate 1 (Former Employee) –  City of Industry, CAApril 1, 2018
As a Electrical Associate 1 in City of Industry, CA when hired was promise review with raise after 90 days and didn't received until 6th month. Got hired at $15 and for the amount of work Monday - Friday 10 to 12 hour days plus force Saturday's 8 to 10 hours & some Sundays. Finding out that the South Carolina employees get hired at the same pay rate at the California employees and the Burlingame, CA get starting pay around $22 to $25. In California minimum wage is at $10.50 an hour & South Carolina minimum wage is at $7.50 and that a huge difference between them to be getting paid the same isn't right especially how expensive it is to live in Southern California. Management first started out strong and really helpful and fun then when stress started kicking in and deadlines weren't been met they would blame workers for not staying pass 12 hour days and working Sat & Sun. Management also had their own people that they would bring in like Supervisors and Production employees that would be like little spies for their Manager. I personally was let go for a issues they said could have cause harm to someone and I believe they wanted to just let me go because I was a person to always speak up about real issues that I had with any employees including management on how employees would take long breaks and never get a brought up. I also brought up to our own COO about what management was doing behind doors and handling employees. And I believe Managers and Human Resource all team up together to find out anything that they don't like about an employee just to terminate them asap. In  more... all honesty I had high hopes for the company to be my career and final resting place to retire. But after how they handled things and how HR doesn't look out for the employees right, I would prefer to stay away from here. I put in so much of my time and money to this company and it ended up tossing me to the curb.  less
Pros
Benifits, 120 Hours Paid Time Off, Stock options, work clothes included (5 shirts, 3 pants, boots and safety glasses
Cons
Management, Forced Saturdays & Sunday
Shifting management, each with different agendas and priorities
Mechanical Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 8, 2017
An extremely desirable product with unlimited sales potential; unfortunately, high-level corporate management is unable or unwilling to learn from experience and schedule delivery within factory/manpower capability
Pros
Good co-workers and low-level supervisors
Cons
A "do it or else, somebody else will have your job" atmosphere
Maintenance at Proterra
Facility Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 3, 2017
repaired facility
broken doors, installment of laser, building scaffolds, working with power tools, some welding
everyone here was friendly and very communicative
the structure was well organized
safety was top priority
hardest part was performing certain tasks alone
most enjoyable part was working with power tools
Pros
nice work environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
working projects alone
Reminds me of high school
Mechanic associate (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 28, 2017
The work is fairly easy but co-workers treat you like a kid floor leads don't manage work flow correctly no chance for advancement the management has a long to go
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Production Job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 25, 2017
This was a production company where we built electric buses. It was a unique learning experience. I worked full time and some weekends. It is a fairly new company and they build buses for Florida and some areas of Nevada.
Pros
Great pay and great learning experience
Cons
A new company and extremely unorganized
New and Growing Fast
Validation Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 19, 2017
It's a fun and challenging place to work. The company seemed to be in a transition from creating a new product built around new technology to developing sound products.

There are good opportunities to have an impact on the product, but sometimes it seemed hard for things to get organized from some of the growing pains.

The people there were really nice. There were a lot of younger people there balanced with some more experienced leaders. The facilities were nice.
Pros
New and growing fast
Cons
some disorganization from the rapid growth
Fun job, great people to work with, bad management
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 16, 2017
Long hours, bad management of timing of bus. People who build bus are treated unfairly and people who screw up are not held responsible. The people I worked with were great. Company needs to fix some major problems.
benefits
Cons
To many hours being there. Was promised 4 10's but turned into 7 days a week and long hours.
Great culture, poor management
Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 18, 2017
Fun place to work as an engineer. Nearly every engineer gets the chance to see there design hit the market and will support improvements. Management is this companies down fall.
Pros
Fun, exciting, pays well.... if you get a good manager
Cons
Stressful, aggressive deadlines with insufficient workforce is the name of the game here, manager for this position not a team leader and will run you out/throw you under the bus, no room for growth unless you apply for a different position within, HR is not there for you.
The management is sorry
Mechanical Assoicate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 27, 2017
The management would say one thing and floor supervisor would do another and job security/advancement was not good at all there was no job culture.
Pros
Cons
everybody worked against one another
nice place to work
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 7, 2016
Great place to work, lots of great coworkers nice team environment, management team and engineering team do a great job on the design of the buses.
great place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 12, 2016
great work environment great company to work for I enjoy it, they gave me a chance and the room for growth within this company is excellent.
w
Composite Proxy and Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 30, 2015
If the team gets the right Managers in there that cares about the people because they have an excellent product.I learned alot about people while working there
Pros
the people
House of cards
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 28, 2014
In my opinion, management is lining their pockets by cutting anyone that makes a decent salary until the intellectual property can be sold off and they can get out of the manufacturing business. Wacthing the cuts that have been made lately leads me to believe that if you aren't in the inner circle of management you should be afraid.
Pros
Great technology & concept
Cons
VERY poor leadership
Good Work place clean inviroment.
Material Specialist (Former Employee) –  Material SpecialistNovember 5, 2014
My typical day at work was meetings in the morning to plan out the day as to what is the scheduled on line. What the errors were the day before.
What I learned there was there are many different types of paper work for different areas that are required for a process from start to finish.
Management, would be every persons responsibility after meetings and taking care of there areas. getting with others as the day went on to confirm information and relay at end of shift.
Coworkers in all of the individualized areas were precise and communicative with each other. Areas were clean and organized.
The hardest part of the job would be not having errors on the line because of minor mistakes that were beyond our shifts.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be safe day at work and getting daily goals accomplished.
Pros
Bonuses, 3 weeks vacation, and pay.
Cons
Short breaks
Non Productive
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greenville SCNovember 4, 2014
It's more fabrication rather than production. Great business model if they can juts get it together.
Great Idea with Poor leadersip
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 24, 2014
Promotions is depends largely on how well you are with management. There is a lot of nepotism and inappropriate relationships between employees. There is no real structure or evaluation methods. The team leads aren't educated.
Tool Specialist
Buyer (Interim) (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 27, 2014
Worked closely with the manufacturing engineers and team leads to ensure availability of required tooling for the production floor.
Productive and fun place to work
Material Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  GreenvilleAugust 15, 2014
Would recommend this job to a friend - gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.gggggggggggggggg.ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.gggggggggggggggggggg.ggggggggggg
Pros
Hours - 6am to 2:30 Pm
Cons
Short breaks
there was no fun place
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 11, 2014
This is what learn:
• Assemble component parts into completed units within tolerances using design blueprint.
• Setup up equipment for the product assembly.
• Perform minor adjustments and repairs of the equipment.
• Inspect component parts and completed units by using visual inspection, gages, tape measures, check fixtures, calipers, or other various inspection equipment.
The management was not good at all.
the hardest part of the job was look busy even if there was no work to do.
New Company Poorly Managed
Indirect & MRO Buyer / Supply Chain Management (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 10, 2014
I was only there 5 months and was one of the elder members of the "Team". In my time, I witnessed a new CEO/President, CFO VP of Sales, HR Director, Materials Manager, and NUMEROUS other key positions throughout Supply Chain Management.
I was let go without warning, with no prior issues, problems, mistakes, demerits, write-ups, etc. on a random Wednesday afternoon. I was never late, and worked more than just my position and minimum hours, including a lot of time and work from home w/o overtime pay. Management was poor and certain people in certain positions have all the "Pull" or "Say" in what or who comes and goes. No Job security but decent benefits.
Pros
Making Green Transit Vehicles
Cons
Management, job securty, balance of power, Lack of procedures