Providence Health & Services Employee Reviews

Progressively losing supportive, mission-focused culture
Clinical Informatics (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 10, 2018
Working through healthcare industry "survival of the largest" strategy. Incessant reorganizations fomenting recurring demands for existing employees to reapply for jobs in a constantly changing hierarchical structure.
Pros
Overall excellent care extended to patients
Cons
Bureaucracy, incessant reorganizations, lost sense of mission
Medical Assistant - Dr. Eric Johnson (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 10, 2018
This fast past family practice has dedicated doctors and employees. Typical day started at 7AM and ended around 7PM. Patients love the doctor, and the unending care he gives every day. Great place to work.
Pros
Drug Rep's lunches and great doctors
Cons
long hours; not enough time in the day
Providence Centralia Hospital
Cook (Current Employee) –  Centralia, WADecember 8, 2018
I believe that Providence Centralia Hospital is part of a willing and winning culture. It provides a stable workplace for individuals willing to put the time and effort into making it whatever you want it to be. I think with some slight tweaking and an open door policy(i mean a real open door policy with real results), it could be much better than it already is. However, as a first time job or someone looking for a decent retirement plan, its a good place to work.
Pros
Good workplace
Cons
Poor Management
Good Co-workers
purchasing (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 7, 2018
Lots of changes and re-structuring that are not well thought out and are rushed. Staff moral has decreased greatly over the last several years, budgeting has caused empty position not to be filled thereby overloading current employee's.
Benefits have decreased slowly for new comers they don't see what been taken away, PTO has decreased, medical benefits decreased while cost has increased as any plan you choose has high deductibles or premiums.
This isn't the Providence I started at with the Sisters! it's a corporation now.
I love my work, love my co-workers and Immediate managers, it could just be better with less daily stress when you know you just cant get it all done.
there are so many positions within providence that has no direct patient contact and adding remote working would greatly open up office space and help alleviate Portland traffic - so dept are doing thing others like to micromanage
Pros
coworkers, love my work
Cons
see above
good place to work
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WADecember 7, 2018
Overall good place to work. Great HR department, wonderful support systems, and great collaborative efforts. Hard to move up in the company in certain departments but not any more than any other hospital system. Great place to work.
Great company
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 6, 2018
Awesome company to work for!! Providence mission to help others even support their employees is amazing! They take good care of their patients, care givers and employees!
Hard to Advance
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORDecember 5, 2018
*** THIS IS A CALL CENTER ***

Initial training is thorough

Follow up training is hard to receive, even when requested

Management shows favorites- if you are not favored it is nearly impossible to be selected for projects and time off the phone
Poor Management
Registration Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORDecember 5, 2018
Providence has poor management and a high turn-over rate. There is a lack of communication between many departments and their managers. In some cases, departments are not fairly compensated.
Good place to feel good about your administrative work
Accounts Receivable & Cash Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 30, 2018
I worked for two different teams in the business office and found the groups pretty great to work with, friendly and welcoming. Though we did typical administrative desk work we would talk to each other from our cubicles while still being productive. Some of us would meet after work socially and some of us joined softball and other athletic teams.

The great thing is that Providence Systems is a non-profit that is really trying to help the community. We saw it in the events that they sponsored for the City of Portland, AIDS walk, bridge pedal, festival of trees. The accessibility of work committees like safety in the workplace and fundraising for special work events. The quarterly meetings where they explained what the company was doing on a higher level, how we ranked with other hospitals and they invited feedback and questions from the workers in an open setting.

They were changing a lot of departments when I worked there, trying to accommodate the additional hospitals and rework departments to be better. Eight months into my job I was told my department would be moving out of state. It was a slow transition and some people felt they were kept from finding another position within the company until the transition was really happening about a year later.

I interviewed within the company and was offered two different positions. The department I went with was doing a lot of internal restructuring. I had to figure a lot out on my own about how to do my job even as my job was constantly changing. After two years I was able to learn a lot and feel job satisfaction and
  more... accomplishment.

The only other complaint I have is a typical one of identifying inefficient systems but not able to change it as it is happening in a different department or with insurance and governmental rules.

All together a great place to work and get experience.
Pros
Great Community, Job Satisfaction
Cons
Changing Structure, Inefficient Systems