PSAV Employee Reviews

Featured review
PSAV selected this as a representative review
Great place to start
Director of Event Technology (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2018
PSAV allows for a lot of career advancement for employees just starting out in their careers. Hours are also very flexible, which is great if you're in school.
Productive place with ping pong
Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2019
This company is very productive with its work and has lots going on. If you enjoy a cool and exciting workplace I would recommend this company. Other than that I like the company.
Pros
Cafe
Cons
Breaks
Psav its an okay company
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2019
Psav it’s grey when you are starting in the Av industry they have good job culture but the Pat it’s not enough compared to the salary out in the industry or other companies, and it’s hard to advance.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Not enough hours & pay
Listen, learn and work smarter not harder
Audio Visual Event Technician (Former Employee) –  Coachella valleyMarch 6, 2019
You start off Green, meaning you don't know nothing. All employees are great to work with. Management has a few good apples but the majority are full of themselves. They make you feel like a peasant. Never let anyone disrespect you just because they have a higher title. Work hard means more hard work while others sit on their backs and watch YouTube. You get to meet different people with great personalities and others with not so great attitudes. You have to deal with people who are miserable and hate their job. Stay positive and focused. Training is ok but you never get to use those skills. You're just a slave. I gave 100% but got 5% recognition. Learn by asking others who operate. You work 7-8 months depending on job a site (resort, convention center). You get 3 months of unemployment (summer). Learn a skill - video, audio, camera operation. If you don't have no skills then your a stagehand. You do the work that nobody wants to do because their weak and lazy. Customer service is important because feedback will come back to your office. Remember that your a guest at the hotel, resort. The hospitality industry is ok if you like to cater and serve people. Haters come in many forms. Just work harder than the next guy and keep your mouth shut. In 8-10 years you might get promoted unless someone moves, dies and retires! Listen! Learn! & Work hard! Bother you project manager and director for training! Tell them what you want not what they want. You might be great at video but unskilled in audio. Good luck!
Pros
Benefits, free food sometimes, beautiful people
Cons
Management, untrained technicians, work/social life, spiteful resort employees, scheduling never set, no support
Do yourself a favor..AVOID PSAV
Camera Operatop, Projectionist, Stagehand. (Former Employee) –  Georgia & FloridaMarch 4, 2019
I began working for this company in 1992 when it was called Total Audio Visual Services in Atlanta, Ga. Good pay, descent hours, friendly,mostly Freelance staff, well maintained gear.
Skip ahead to 2010. I have worked with this company now,under various buy-outs/evolutions/name changes, etc. as a Freelancer for over 25 years. I've been on their books as a 'part time/as needed employee since 2006. Still no 'Benefits'.
I was invited to a Job Fair, allegedly for a "full time" position. After 2 interviews by property managers,(1 of whom I helped train), they made an offer that was $5 p.h. less than my current rate with them..AND a "Tittle"; Event Technology Specialist II".
My Industry specialties are Camera Op, and Projectionist, as well as experience as Show/Site Manager, crew leader, A-2, L-2, & V-2. But, since I am not an A-1, a V-1, or an L-1, they gave me a lower rating. I had always made a higher rate at other companies for my Camera/Projection work, but was willing to see where this offer from PSAV led. When I heard from H.R. I asked what property I would be working at, they told me that I was being hired as "Part Time/As Needed"; the SAME position I already held, Plus a TITLE, MINUS $5 p.h..
I realized right then that their whole corporate attitude had changed. After the countless times I have bailed them out through extra hours or training "clueless" staff, & calming irate clients, they had the Audacity to lure me in to a so called 'Full Time' interview, and insult me with a cut in pay.
Even if you are 'Green' & want experience, find a company that will
  more... Respect and Train you. If you start your career with PSAV, you will regret it, and probably not want to continue working in the industry. There are still a few companies around that haven't been Gobbled Up by PSAV, check them first.  less
Pros
Serve as a ZERO grade benchmark.
Cons
Check ALL Negative boxes
Psav
LOGISTICS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 21, 2019
not a bad place to work, can be relax when its slow or very hectic when busy. Management is not the brightest and you get caught up running in circles sometimes
Good Start
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 19, 2019
If you are looking for a place to get your feet wet this is a good company. In order to advance you need to be willing to relocate. You also need to know that the culture varies heavily city to city and even property to property.
February 28, 2019

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. We strive to make each and every experience customized to each one of our talented Team Members.

Zero Potential
DET (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 19, 2019
Extremely difficult to advance with PSAV, when opportunities do present themselves the financial incentives are far below industry standards.

Middle management pretty much leaves you to fend for yourself in the day to day operations. Except when pushing to complete useless corporate initiatives. And when burnout sets in they do not pursue counseling or mentoring.

Upper management does not seem to know what PSAV's product is. They only want to build a nice shiny package that they can sell to investors. And they really love taking on debt. The more the better.

The corporate culture slogan's all sound so nice. The reality is the unspoken culture is toxic.
Pros
There are no Pros to working at PSAV
Cons
Every aspect of working at PSAV is a Con
Good to get the ball rolling
Audio/visual tech (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 7, 2019
PSAV was a great company to work, but certainly the work isn't for everyone. A lot to learn, as long as you're flexible and willing. The hours can be rough at time, but that's part of the gig. A lot of this depends on where you're stationed, as you essentially become an employee of the property you work out of.
March 1, 2019

We are always working to evolve our process for our Team Members development! We appreciate your feedback!

Would not recommend working for this company
Technical (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2019
Grossly underpaid, advancement is only given to those in a "click" or with prior relationship with the RVP or location manager. Jobs are usually filled internally but are usually filled by a hand picked candidate and is posted to the company portal as a formality, not as a means of fair play where all have an equal opportunity to interview for the position.
Pros
If you freelance, it is relatively consistent but not always. You are not guaranteed hours. Even if your full time.
Cons
Would not recommend for minorities, especially women. Advancement is scarce.
Avoided ...
Overhire (Former Employee) –  DC MultipleJanuary 26, 2019
I am most qualified to work for this company.. but I think that is the problem..They would prefer to dodge paying benefits and long term commitments. Having met on three occasions for possible work, my FT Interview experience tends to cease when the money questions come up. Yet they will over book a hotel and have to pay for over hire labor instead of keeping a solid FT staff.

Most of my experience with PSAV has been as an over hire. Most calls went well... One or two did not.. nothing unusual.
My coworkers are the best part
Event Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2019
A typical day at work can be relaxed but stressful and plenty to do. There is never really a time to sit and relax, it may happen but its rare. Its a quick paced job always on your feet and working.
Lack of regional leadership, poor corporate support and response time and follow up is amongs the poorest I have ever experience
Director (Former Employee) –  Carolina, PRJanuary 17, 2019
PSAV In Puerto Rico does not function the same in the mainland, most benefits don’t apply. To PR
CEO never once has visit operations in Puerto Rico in 7 years - corporate support is week very removed and there is a poor sense of morale amongs the techs and leadership . I would consider working for PSAV in the mainland but not for Puerto Rico
Pros
The technicians are eager to learn
Cons
Leadership not engaged, no training and no growth opportunities.
Working with good people
Director of Event Technology (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 17, 2019
Typical day:
Hit the floor running.
Setting and striking of equipment.
Getting groups up and running, checking in throughout the day.
Doing sales and sending out quotes.
Attending hotel meetings.

I learned how to manage a team and do sales.

It's pretty relaxed at the hotel itself, client are reoccurring and very friendly. There are many clients that I very much enjoy seeing and work with.

Hardest part of the job is having to do a lot of physical labor with setting rooms along with doing sales, budget, schedule, planning. The physical aspect has begun to cause injury.

Most enjoyable part is the people I work with. This include people at the hotel and the clients.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Heavy physical work and hours.
February 28, 2019

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your experience - our Team Members are fantastic and we will continue to strive to provide the best experience for all of our Team Members to reach their goals. We are very glad to hear you loved the people of PSAV and those we partner with.

Great opportunity for first job with A/V
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJanuary 10, 2019
If you enjoy setting up A/V and lighting equipment than this is the job for you. Many employees stay with this company for quite some time. You will work with many of the same people often, and make long-lasting friendships is desired. There's a lot to learn working for this company.
Pros
The ability to create one's own work schedule.
Cons
Grueling hours at times.
Read the reviews very carefully
Employee (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 6, 2019
Read the real reviews very carefully not the 5-star reviews. There is a lot of truth behind the lower star ratings in my opinion and if you read enough of them you can make an educated decision whether to work for this company or not. I did not read the reviews carefully enough before taking the job. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the management as some properties have a fear-based style of leadership that is not worth the low pay.
Opportunties to travel
Consultant to PEW Charitable Trusts (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 1, 2019
Traveled monthly for conventions and trade shows. All travel was covered and per diem. Many facets to the job so no opportunities to become bored. Opportunities to travel all over USA,
Pros
Opportunities to travel
A Good Place To Start In The A/V Field
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 1, 2019
There are some benefits to working with PSAV: job security, steady hours, never having to call in to get work, all the benefits that come from working for a large company. However, PSAV is also well known in the A/V industry for being on the low pay/long hours side of things. Instead of adhering to industry standards like most companies (overtime after 8 hours/midnight, standard labor wages, etc.), they do the minimal they can get away with. For example: in California, daily overtime is part of the state labor laws and PSAV will follow those laws, but come to Washington and they pay overtime according to Washington's weekly law. Why the change if only because that's what they can get away with?

PSAV is a good starting point. You learn the basics and can even learn some advanced stuff. But most technicians move on from the company if they don't move up into higher positions like project manager or management. There are definitely better opportunities in the A/V world if you're experienced and can find them. If you do come into PSAV, expect to deal with the typical profit driven, corporate mindset from management in the upper echelons of the company (CEO, VP, stockholders). Much of how you view your experience with PSAV will come from your co-workers, from management down to the lowest technicians. I am fortunate enough to work with awesome co-workers, but I know there are technicians who have not had that same experience.

Wages are low, bonuses suck, hours are either long or non-existent, scheduling is inconsistent and based on the company needs regardless of whether or
  more... not you have a life. Don't expect any significant raises unless you decide to promote. All you'll get is a yearly merit boost, which amounts to 2-3% of your current pay (so, not that much at all).

TL;DR: PSAV has the benefits of your typical greedy corporate culture, and all of the negatives as well. If you're experienced in A/V, you can do better. If you're new to A/V, PSAV is a good place to start, then you can move on and do better.
Pros
Benefits, steady hours during the busy seasons, opportunity to learn basic and some advanced A/V, co-workers can be pleasant to work with
Cons
Work-life balance, low pay, long hours, co-workers can be terrible to work with, corporate management seems out of touch with their technicians, equipment can be outdated and inadequate for the job, the corporate side of things is very profit driven which does not blend well with A/V work, bonuses are lackluster
Great place for entry level technicians
Audio Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maui, HIDecember 27, 2018
Great place to learn if you're new to the entertainment industry, they'll take you and you can learn on the job.
Another great aspect of the company is that they have locations all over the map even in other countries outside the US where you can relocate for career advancement.
Pros
Free lunch at most hotels
Cons
If you work in the mainland, you wear a suit... yiaaaaaiks
Great Place to learn and grow
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 19, 2018
A typical day includes walking 10-12 miles on average.
Bending, lifting, pulling and crawling for 4-8 hours.
They have great learning material on-line to help you advance.
The management is fair and will work with you
Corporate Audio so it's mostly resorts and hotels
The hardest part of the job is an extreme loss of hours during the summer
The most enjoyable part of the job is you can work all over the valley to gain more experience at different properties.
Pros
Can learn as you go and opportunity to advance
Cons
You have to be noticed to advance up the corporate ladder
If you have no bills to pay and want to learn AV work. This job is for you!
Audio/Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 16, 2018
Like I said, If you have zero bills, No rent to pay, you get free food somewhere, then THIS job is for you!! Do you like inexperienced managers and terrible hours, I suggest you apply!!

Was employed over three years and not once did they give me a raise! (They gave me something called a meritt increase twice which ended up being 1.10$ more an hour.)

Corporate is constantly changing so nobody really knows whats going on on a technician level.

Managers only think about their quarterly bonus!!!
Pros
You get to learn A LOT!!!
Cons
Fulltime is not really full time hours. Most psav employees have bad attitudes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PSAV. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight