PSAV Employee Reviews

Great opportunity for first job with A/V
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJanuary 10, 2019
If you enjoy setting up A/V and lighting equipment than this is the job for you. Many employees stay with this company for quite some time. You will work with many of the same people often, and make long-lasting friendships is desired. There's a lot to learn working for this company.
Pros
The ability to create one's own work schedule.
Cons
Grueling hours at times.
Read the reviews very carefully
Employee (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 6, 2019
Read the real reviews very carefully not the 5-star reviews. There is a lot of truth behind the lower star ratings in my opinion and if you read enough of them you can make an educated decision whether to work for this company or not. I did not read the reviews carefully enough before taking the job. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the management as some properties have a fear-based style of leadership that is not worth the low pay.
Opportunties to travel
Consultant to PEW Charitable Trusts (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 1, 2019
Traveled monthly for conventions and trade shows. All travel was covered and per diem. Many facets to the job so no opportunities to become bored. Opportunities to travel all over USA,
Pros
Opportunities to travel
A Good Place To Start In The A/V Field
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 1, 2019
There are some benefits to working with PSAV: job security, steady hours, never having to call in to get work, all the benefits that come from working for a large company. However, PSAV is also well known in the A/V industry for being on the low pay/long hours side of things. Instead of adhering to industry standards like most companies (overtime after 8 hours/midnight, standard labor wages, etc.), they do the minimal they can get away with. For example: in California, daily overtime is part of the state labor laws and PSAV will follow those laws, but come to Washington and they pay overtime according to Washington's weekly law. Why the change if only because that's what they can get away with?

PSAV is a good starting point. You learn the basics and can even learn some advanced stuff. But most technicians move on from the company if they don't move up into higher positions like project manager or management. There are definitely better opportunities in the A/V world if you're experienced and can find them. If you do come into PSAV, expect to deal with the typical profit driven, corporate mindset from management in the upper echelons of the company (CEO, VP, stockholders). Much of how you view your experience with PSAV will come from your co-workers, from management down to the lowest technicians. I am fortunate enough to work with awesome co-workers, but I know there are technicians who have not had that same experience.

Wages are low, bonuses suck, hours are either long or non-existent, scheduling is inconsistent and based on the company needs regardless of whether or
  more... not you have a life. Don't expect any significant raises unless you decide to promote. All you'll get is a yearly merit boost, which amounts to 2-3% of your current pay (so, not that much at all).

TL;DR: PSAV has the benefits of your typical greedy corporate culture, and all of the negatives as well. If you're experienced in A/V, you can do better. If you're new to A/V, PSAV is a good place to start, then you can move on and do better.
Pros
Benefits, steady hours during the busy seasons, opportunity to learn basic and some advanced A/V, co-workers can be pleasant to work with
Cons
Work-life balance, low pay, long hours, co-workers can be terrible to work with, corporate management seems out of touch with their technicians, equipment can be outdated and inadequate for the job, the corporate side of things is very profit driven which does not blend well with A/V work, bonuses are lackluster
Great place for entry level technicians
Audio Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maui, HIDecember 27, 2018
Great place to learn if you're new to the entertainment industry, they'll take you and you can learn on the job.
Another great aspect of the company is that they have locations all over the map even in other countries outside the US where you can relocate for career advancement.
Pros
Free lunch at most hotels
Cons
If you work in the mainland, you wear a suit... yiaaaaaiks
Great Place to learn and grow
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 19, 2018
A typical day includes walking 10-12 miles on average.
Bending, lifting, pulling and crawling for 4-8 hours.
They have great learning material on-line to help you advance.
The management is fair and will work with you
Corporate Audio so it's mostly resorts and hotels
The hardest part of the job is an extreme loss of hours during the summer
The most enjoyable part of the job is you can work all over the valley to gain more experience at different properties.
Pros
Can learn as you go and opportunity to advance
Cons
You have to be noticed to advance up the corporate ladder
If you have no bills to pay and want to learn AV work. This job is for you!
Audio/Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 16, 2018
Like I said, If you have zero bills, No rent to pay, you get free food somewhere, then THIS job is for you!! Do you like inexperienced managers and terrible hours, I suggest you apply!!

Was employed over three years and not once did they give me a raise! (They gave me something called a meritt increase twice which ended up being 1.10$ more an hour.)

Corporate is constantly changing so nobody really knows whats going on on a technician level.

Managers only think about their quarterly bonus!!!
Pros
You get to learn A LOT!!!
Cons
Fulltime is not really full time hours. Most psav employees have bad attitudes.
Seems like where/who you work with matters
Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 12, 2018
After reading 7 pages of reviews from the last year, PSAV is either loved or hated by people. Personally, I love it. I started November 2017 as a part time tech a month before graduating college. I learned a lot and loved my team at the Hyatt Sacramento. Then March 2018 a brand new hotel (The Kimpton Sawyer) that was built was looking for a full time tech and I was asked if I wanted to move up into that. Being the only tech was nice because I got consistent hours and the property was not very big for just myself and my DET. We recently hired a part timer. 95% of the clients have been an absolute pleasure to work with along with all of the hotel staff. Now im in the process for employee review for a raise. Yes, the pay is bit low and it's not a 9 to 5. However, I do get more weekend days off than I did working in restaurants in the previous 6 years. I went to school for Film/Video Production and learning audio at PSAV was something that my upper division schooling lacked in.

Again, everyone's experience is different because every location and manager is different. Also, only paying $50 a month for health insurance instead of $300+ is a huge perk. Along with 401k and dental.

Do try it out for yourself. I can see myself working here for the next several years.
Pros
Working with technology and not food, co workers are cool, free lunches/dinners, work gets easier as you learn, Lighthouse app makes operations so easy!
Cons
varying shift days, not truly salary for full-time techs, pm shifts
Good People, Bad Work Life Balane
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
Company going through large growth. Understaffed at most locations, and corporate office has other concerns than to properly build up appropriate teams to handle.
Biggest small company you'll ever work for.
Accounting / Finance (Current Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILDecember 3, 2018
The manager ratio in my department is close to 1:1, and many of the managers do not have the knowledge to even check subordinates work. Rules are not evenly applied. While some employees spend time on Facebook or streaming videos (including some managers), others are to do the work. Favorites are picked ahead of qualified employees. Communication and leadership from department management is non-existent. If you like Facebook or stream videos and can connect with management, this place is for you!
Pros
Free soda and medicine cabinet.
Cons
Too many to list, but they reward mediocrity.
It was a good learning experience
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 29, 2018
It was an ok place to work to learn some basics. And I'm not writing the rest of this. One day I found a puppy by the river, and it was a very very cute one and I took it home with me. The end!
Excelente ambiente de trabajo
Technician at Gaylord Palms (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 29, 2018
Excelente ambiente, siempre te mantienes ocupado. buenos beneficios.
Pros
beneficios
Cons
Salario
Great people
Technical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 28, 2018
The people you meet through this company are amazing. But the advancement and compensation can be worked on. A typical day varies as far as the work needed to be done.
Worse AV company in the country
Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 21, 2018
Unbearable hours, low grade consumer equipment, untrained managers. It was all about ripping customers off, seriously and my boss got upset with me when I gave a not for profit client a free power strip. We rent them for $20. Yes, a power strip that you can buy at Walmart for seven bucks. I can’t think of a good thing to say.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
Every thing
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 20, 2018
No data to be shared at this point with Indeed or any other party. Work consisted of 5 days a week workload with the weekend off and holidays sometime. Thanks
need more training classes
lead rigger (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 18, 2018
each property is different. There needs to be more 1 on 1 training. They need to have more training classes for each aspect of the job. The pay for San Diego, is very low for this city.
Pros
pto
Cons
lower pay
Opportunity
AV Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 17, 2018
Good company for tech savvy people. It's all about customer service. People paying top dollar for customer service, that's what the hotel and psav are graded on.
Pros
opportunity
Way too much discrimination going on to function properly.
Audio Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXOctober 27, 2018
PSAV Dallas/FtWorth Is in trouble with EEOC & TWC for racial discrimination. You ready for this? Over prescription glasses & race. The H.R. meeting was secretly recorded & you can hear H.R. blatantly refuse to look at the prescription receipt while claiming the glasses are fake. They then said hours & pay were going to be reduced for filing a company complaint about discrimination. Then a state complaint was filed with TWC/EEOC against PSAV for discrimination & pay/hours reduction for filing a company complaint. PSAV was told by TWC a complaint was filed against them & PSAV then retaliated & fired me by e-mail. The CEO has also refused to talk to me on several occasions also.
Cons
Colaberative team focused on perfection.
Head / Lead Site Installations Rigger (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 24, 2018
During my short time with PSAV, the company has an amazing foundation, a continued reputation of impeccable work, and accomplishments, as well as a sustainable continual active place in the market.
Pros
All good, in most of what PSAV has to offer.
Cons
Heavy traffic location.
Use this job as experience and that's it
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 24, 2018
What you put into this job is exactly what you get out of it. See, if you came to this job thinking that they'll teach you everything and they'll give you a better understanding of how all of this works... you're sadly mistaken. You're going to learn everything on your own, so DO your homework. The pay isn't great either, there's a huge turnover rate because of it... not to mention there's no daily OT. So if hotels are your cup of tea and you want to get ahead, the best way to do that here is to kiss up and go above and beyond.
Pros
experience, networking
Cons
pay, benefits, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PSAV. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at PSAV.

Powered by Comparably