Public Health Institute
Happiness rating is 87 out of 100

Public Health Institute Employee Reviews

United States58 reviews

Great benefits, Supportive HR

It was a very great job with great pay & benefits. Hr was very supportive. Although that was remote, I definitely felt a sense of belonging. I would definitely recommend this employer to others.

Supportive environment

I've had one of the best directors working with PHI. The culture is very supportive of its employees. They are fair and equitable. There is also good organizational structure that supports the programs. I would go back and work for PHI again.

Pros

Supportive environment

Public Health Institute insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Fair pay for job

Great Pay and Benefits

Great place to work for. Great pay and really good benefits. Awesome, supportive staff. Management advocates for employees and make sure they have everything they need to succeed in their work.

Tracing Health side of PHI

The Tracing Health side of PHI was a mess. A few manages on a power trip, difficult individuals I had to supervise, no set workflow that could be followed without daily, weekly, monthly changes. As a supervisor my mental health started suffering. When my position termed I was so happy. I was there for two years. I left and haven’t looked back. I miss no one and I haven’t given the job a second thought.They did pay well and had fantastic benefits. To be clear, Tracking Health was a part of PHI. It was a termed position (temporary position). I hear working on the actual PHI side of the company is much better.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Difficult people, toxic work environment

Good company

Great company to work for but if you're a contracted worker, there is a very slim possibility that you will become a permanent employee. Other than that, it was very enjoyable.

Great workplace

Great benefits, people, and work life balance. Pay rates are generous. Lots of support from PHI when it comes to learning/training opportunities. The only negative was some work drama with one specific individual who antagonized other supervisors and staff. The individual happened to be the managers favorite and their poor behavior was rewarded with a promotion. It felt like a huge let down from management.

Productive and understanding

Working with the covid-19 team for 1.5 years has been a great pleasure. Helping communities and checking in with them to make sure they were doing good during their isolation. Company was very understanding of personal situations and making sure employees were doing good in their mental health.

Nice colleagues, ok company

The people you work with are great and the work is rewarding. There's really not much more than that to say. It was an ok place to work. Try it out if you like

Prepare to always adapt!

The people at PHI really cares for you. However, because it is a nonprofit organization & the program I am in (Tracing Health) is funded through either school districts or local health jurisdictions, the work flow is pretty much expected to be changed constantly. This isn't too bad considering you do have a supervisor that would undergo the intense training first and then you would go through the training yourself. I had switched between three teams and all three teams managers really care for you. Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help the patients who are affected by COVID-19. But company wise, it would be the all team meeting- where we play games competitively. The company also offers many personal development webinars and courses for you to take on your down time if you'd like.

Great benefits but leadership leaves something to be desired

Grateful for the opportunity to help in the COVID-19 pandemic response effort. Would appreciate more transparency and less sweeping of problems under the rug. Planning ahead would really help mitigate a lot of issues. Holding people accountable instead of moving problems around and making supervisors feel like they are the problem and not the person/problem itself.

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, remote work

Cons

Leadership is not always honest, a lot of behind the scenes chatter and secrecy, contract work only for the most part.

Good

The only issue I have is the fact that my contract was a short term contract and I was very aware of that. Otherwise, no issues at all. I love the fact that they contribute 10% of my salary into my 403B after 6months in the company (even without a match). I am not sure if this is the same for the other permanent employees but that's what we had in the Tracing Health Program.

Pros

Everything..

Cons

Short term contract.

A Great Place To Work

I have been pleasantly surprised by working in this non-profit environment. Public Health Institute (PHI) offers a great benefit package and the workplace culture makes you want to go to work everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help to educate the public about COVID-19 and how it effects them as individuals and their families. I can truly say that I am making a difference everyday.

Pros

Remote work, Benefits Package

Cons

Salary per hour is low.

Work is rewarding

I felt like our project was important, working with the people whose lives would be affected doing participatory evaluation of a local project. Most of my work involved listening to what was important to them.

Pros

Flexible hours, work from home

Cons

Greater organization was not a supportive place to work

Great benefits and opportunities to advance

Very supportive culture of taking care of employees' advancement and development for both the current role and for aspired roles within or after grant-funded programs.

Pros

Great company culture; inclusive and empowering

Cons

Leadership skills can vary greatly among different managers and supervisors.

Great place for people new to the workforce

Working as a contractor for PHI leaves you feeling a bit disconnected. They try to do their best however I left the position feeling underwhelmed. I would take this job again, but wouldn’t plan on staying long.

Wonderful Company

This company is so caring. They care about ergonomics and will send you things you need to help. They send gifts to you, just because. They gave a generous holiday bonus. They pay 100% benefits for employees. They are all very kind and understanding. They want to see you grow and advance.

Pros

great management, support, benefits

PHI's mission, goals and objectives are indeed admirable.

The overall culture is nurturing and supportive. The overall culture embraces work development and the work-life balance is coming into focus. The section I worked in was completely remote.

Pros

Onboarding and state-of-the-art training

Cons

Work-life balance for management is a challenging component as PHI has a "start-up" profile.

The support I've received is superb.

I cannot give PHI a high enough rating! I like the benefits and the working environment at this company. I wish that I can find a permanent position here instead of a temporary, time-limiting one.

A caring organization. It is public health, after all.

This rating applies to the Public Health Institute organization and not a particular department within the organization. PHI values people and has a great benefits package even if their salaries are a little lower for the Bay Area in general.

Excellent Leadership and team work

PHI/GHFP has an excellent Leadership who provides continues coaching to employees, gives more opportunities and advices for career advancement and encourage team work and exchange of expertise.

Supportive, flexible environment

Stimulating and supportive environment with friendly employees. Opportunities for growth and movement and constant learning. Grant-based salaries means that the job is not necessarily permanent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Health Institute. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight