Public Outreach Employee Reviews

Outdoor job so if u like interacting with the public go for it
Team Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2017
Working in this enviroment was very friendly. It does involve alot of walking but overall a great place to work. Clean place and lots of smiles from the coworkers
Pros
Pay
Cons
Standing
Stressful but worth it
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2017
Very competitive job. Although it is hard to get children sponsored, each time you did you felt great. I was compensated very well for the hard work. The managers were very hands on with training.
A different kin of work place!
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 5, 2017
Very positive work place; everyone bring their best self to work each and everyday, this creates a refreshing work environment for everyone involved!

Sometimes this can be a fast pace work environment where thing change quickly. You need to be adaptable to change and face pace environments to be able to thrive here.
So good!
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 5, 2017
Best job ever! I work with people that I love and get to talk to people about things that I care about. Doing this job will expose you to the best and worst of humanity. If you are an optimist and a realist with a lot of patience, you will do well. You are provided everything you need to be successful and will have so much support from the whole staff. I think everyone should try this type of work...it is quite the experience!
Pros
A lot
Cons
A few
Great opportunity
Face to face fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 5, 2017
Public Outreach is a great place to work and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I've been able to grow through this job and have always felt supported, nurtured, and valued as an employee. Fundraising is skills-based and PO knows this so spends time developing those skills and doing professional development for all staff members. Plus, everyone starts entry level so everyone knows exactly the challenges and it's clear that you can be super successful through this opportunity. Can't recommend enough!
Pros
Incentives for stellar performance, opportunities to grow, travel trips to other offices
Cons
Things can change quickly and you have to be able to roll with it
Challenging and Rewarding
Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 5, 2017
First and foremost this is NOT the job for everyone. If you are a wall flower you will find this job very difficult. However, if you are someone who genuinely enjoys meeting and talking to different people, this might be a good fit for you. It is far more rewarding than your typical sales job, you get to know that at the end of a stressful week you have significantly helped the world. You must be able to handle rejection on a daily basis and be comfortable working in almost any weather condition. There is of course pressure to meet certain numbers and goals, but because we aren't paid on commission you can expect a stable income. However, it is important to keep in mind that this is a performance based job- our office culture is incredibly supportive and warm but there will always be pressure to meet your goals.
Pros
Rewarding, friendly office culture, time goes by fast
Cons
Weather, stress to meet numbers
Work here
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 5, 2017
Love love love this place... Best place I've ever worked. Everyone here is super positive super enthusiastic and super supportive. We all here to do something amazing and we all love what we do
Pros
Happy go lucky people .. Hour long lunch breaks. .and the staff are super supportive
Cons
Working in the rain
The best
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 30, 2017
The best for profit consulting company hands down. They treated their employees great, valued the work we put in and helped us be better people. Everyday was a blessing on the street
they are a scam
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 16, 2017
its a real bad complany to work for . i dont have much to say about them. i feel like no one shoudl work there and these questions will not help them,,
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
apply at your own risk
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 5, 2017
I have worked for this company for a great deal of time. I have traveled and moved up continuously year after year. However, with the new current culture shock change, and new management styles, I believe this company that I used to love oh so much, has taken a huge backward leap when it comes to racial diversity.
Pros
Reaching out to the public on real issues
Cons
mangement
summer job turned career
Fundraising Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2017
I took this job to make some extra money in the summer. Ended up that this was actually a really rewarding job that made me feel like I was making a difference. Room for advancement, pay is great, incentives are helpful.
love the people but it is a very hard job.
Street fund raiser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 12, 2017
approaching people on the streets of boston and asking for money all day is mentally and emotionally exhausting but you meet people every day who completely restore your faith in humanity and it is a truly beautiful thing.
fun workplace
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 8, 2017
Subcontracted professional fundraiser for the American Red Cross. Involved direct fundraising utilizing a wide variety of methods. Canvassing neighborhoods, and cold calling included.
Pros
Felt good helping the red cross
Cons
lots of walking
Great experience
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  MontrealJune 2, 2016
I loved my coworkers. Most of the staff there are beautiful people, on the inside and out. Working with them, I learned to be fearless, outspoken, ambassadorial: fearless because 60% of those who open the door to you will promptly slam it in your face upon seeing the vests; outspoken because you have to engage your audience into a movement; ambassadorial because every few weeks you embody a new movement, a new organization, a new cause. There were campaigns that I hated working on, but you push through that. You learn to put in twice the effort.
Ice Cream Parlor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2016
Coldstone creamery is an ice cream parlor/ eatery that carols as they churn up ice cream with any combination of your favorite ingredients.
Serving people is always a wonderful and rewarding prospect!
Director (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IdahoApril 28, 2016
I had the privilege of developing amazing leaders and staff members and watch them grow in the positions I entrusted them with. I had the freedom to be creative in a way that I may never have had anywhere else. The hardest part of the job was being micro managed, the greatest part of the job was placing people in their strengths where they could truly flourish.
Pros
You get to help people and be a part of something bigger than yourself
Cons
Low wages for the workload
Outdoor Work
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 1, 2015
Start your day outside and try to stop people to talk to them about whatever cause you are trying to help. I learned about all kinds of things like women trafficking and women's rights in other countries. The management was great. The boss was generous and helpful even came out to help us on his days off. The co-workers were helpful and amazing. Loved how they were kind to one another and was willing to be fun and silly at the right times. The hardest part was trying to get someone to sponsor or to help and pay for a cause to be stopped. The most enjoyable part was hearing how these people wanted to help and is willing to help others in need.
Positive and Uplifting Work Environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAAugust 28, 2015
Public Outreach is a fun and fulfilling place to work, with very supportive and compassionate coworkers and management. Friendly and welcoming environment.
Typical work day
-Team meaning / Learning exercise
-Get our daily location and Street Team goule of the day
-Get company phone and login
-Go to destination using the information provided and customer service skills do your best to get Children Sponsorships
-Logout at the end of your work day
Pros
Chances to advance in the company, healthcare and benefit after 6 months
Cons
getting through rough days when nobody sponsors a child
Best company to work for!
FUNDRAISING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  BostonJuly 30, 2015
Truly amazing. I will never forget my time here and it made me who I am today. Thank you.

We raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for progressive nonprofits and do so within a culture of quality. Investing in the willing and able is essential and drives the family feel that this company offers.
Pros
Culture, team
Cons
Once hitting Fundraising Manager, there is not a pathway up to any further positions to strive towards. This is why I left.
Fun workplace with great individuals
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMay 13, 2015
The environment is very fun and relaxed. Particularly great experience for anyone fresh out of college and looking for a challenge and a worthy cause. Far more organized and friendly than most canvassing environments.

There is a strong sense of camaraderie, little competition, and great growth potential.
Pros
Great environment, Strong leaders, Positive Workplace, Casual setting
Cons
High turnover, Inconsistent days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.