Public Storage Employee Reviews

Easy job but it gets to you.
Property Manager/KTP (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYNovember 13, 2018
this is not a place for you if you want a career. They do not promote any higher than KTP on the field level. They don't take field employees who know the front line and move them up to district managers. This is something they should do but do not. They are constantly telling you to clean, even when you just cleaned your entire building. It's all about your sales. If your numbers aren't looking good they HOUND you to make them better. our number effect the bigger bosses bonuses, so it kinda makes sense now why they hound us, but they took our bonuses away. This place is just unfair, which is why I left.
Pros
set hours
Cons
short break, insane amount of cleaning, poor dm's
It is nice to work in a quiet private area.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 11, 2018
The company could pay better .
You only get hired at minimum wage
Relief managers get bonuses.
property managers getting no bonuses.
as a relief manager you do a lot of traveling to different properties. as a property manager you live on site.
Pros
Room and bord
Cons
Work for minimum wage only
Great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 9, 2018
I loved the job for the time that I was there. But sometime people can really try to take advantage of you be care because you can lose your job even if it’s not you doing wrong
Pros
Good hour great money
Cons
To much traveling
It’s great and nice place to work with company.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VANovember 6, 2018
Management need to be nice and appreciate there employees. Especially the property managers. Starting of the month and end of the month is tough cuze people are moving out and new people are coming to rent the space it’s very tough cuze you have to work alone at the same time you have to clean do the bank runs.
Worst company I have ever worked for
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLNovember 6, 2018
If I could rate this company -100000 I would . This is the first time I have ever left a review for a company I have worked for. I feel like it's important for other people to know what they are getting themselves into . Public Storage is a money hungry company. They do not care anything about their employees. This is a billion dollar company and only pay u 10.50 a hour . If u choose to get a apartment with them u get 8.50 a hour . If you are a relief manager u have to travel pretty much every day to different properties . Now if u are working with a property manager it's a high chance that your district manager could call u to travel to another property. If somebody has called out and u are a relief manager the district manager will ask u or another relief manager to go to that property . This company is 2 cheap to allow to people to work together . I can't even describe the amount of work that is done . I worked for the company for 2 years and 1 month and I highly regret it . Once I became a property manager it was 100 times worse . You have to open the store , handle cash , check , credit debit card payments , collection calls , cleaning the office and bathroom . You also have to check the property twice a day clean units do monthly auctions with your district manager . You also have to do a monthly unit inventory which pretty much means u have to print out a list for all the units and the information have to match the paper . Also do a merchandise inventory, counting all the merchandise , and a unit audit . A unit audit just means everything that is wrong with the property  more... has to be put in the system . Let's not forget u have to sell none stop ! Locks Insurance boxes . This company wants u to sell non stop . Let's not forget renting units to customers and using 1000 scripts a day . You also have coaching with your district manager . You do weekly calls as a disctrict and have to explain why u could not sell a lock , or insurance or merchandise . What objectives did u use for the customer . Guys I'm telling u this company is awful . Anytime u have to call out sick or can't come in they make u feel bad . Like things happen and it's not right . This company makes u work like a slave and the pay is horrible . Other company's pay at least 13 or 14 a hour and ps still pays only 10.50 . It's so much to this company that I wish I could right a book about it . I will never recommend this place to anybody . You work by yourself 24 7 their is no help on the property . It's so hard to gain hours so u can have PTO off , they only focus on your sick time off which is pti. Even with u have sick time to use it's still a problem. I will just stop here because I could go on and on . Moral of the story is this company does not care about u it's all about the $$$ long as u slave and work than you will be just fine . Good luck guys ! Do your research before u apply .I am just trying to help others and tell them the truth . Worst company ever! They have also taken away bonuses ,unlike other company's. You get 100 dollars a year for Christmas that's it .hate this place  less
Pros
Laid back, no managers 24 7 . Can be on your phone and go to lunch when u want
Cons
Everything!
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Parma, OH 44130October 28, 2018
It was a relaxed place to work when the area supervisor didn't come in. Loved working with the public great co-workers. Good hours. Got to work inside and outside.
Very Professional
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 26, 2018
easy job, you always stay busy. you spend 50% in office and 50% out of office. dealing with customers would probably be the best part of the job but could also be the hardest
No advancement and company takes advantage of employees
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 26, 2018
Fairly easy job with basic benefits, but the company has unethical tactics to push services that are not required, employees are expected to travel for work but are not compensated appropriately, extra titles given without pay raise, and there is no advancement towards upper management. Living on property is a nice perk, but not much work/life balance and you are expected to act as extra security with no compensation other than cheap living. The job feels like incorporated welfare.
Pros
Company housing, medical and vision
Cons
No advancement, excessive traveling
Public Storage Insurance requirement?
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 25, 2018
When renting the space at Public Storage, after the space unit agreement process, manager inform that Insurance purchase is required and presented to make selection, somewhat enforcing this selection as it is required, but by agreement on a certain section and clause related to insurance, states 'it is not required', this makes customer frustrated and conflict information of manager's statement. Therefore, it seems that Public Storage is enforcing to tell lies about insurance facts.
Another story is that, co-workers do not complete their given daily, weekly, monthly assignments and intentionally incomplete their own tasks and left for next coming worker to complete goes on & on, piling up neglected incomplete assignments. When making official complaint about this fact to next chain of command,
Pros
Company Benefit and Property Management Starter.
Cons
HQ is in CA and Managents
Storage work is not for everyone
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Lauderhill, FLOctober 23, 2018
This company only cares about its bottom line. Employees give up bonuses as pay for living on the property. They don't care about their customers that have rented at their properties. Raising rent every 6 months.
Pros
Wish I had something
Cons
Lack of respect
Worst company ever!
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZOctober 20, 2018
Worst business environment I've ever worked in the past 30 years! Call center is located in former storage space where the are no ceiling panels or drywall. Dozens of industrial size air conditioning units sit directly over the employees' heads, and sound like huge bombs and wind tunnels when they go off and on throughout the day. You get a headphone and a computer. That's it. If you need office supplies like file holder, tape, scrap paper or a paper clip, you must bring your own. They change the bonus structure AFTER the month is over so you never know what you're actually earning. Employee turnover is huge, except for a select group of long term employees. They don't care. It keeps the people in training department busy, training class after class. As soon as they hit the sales floor, most are gone within first 6 months. Dirty floors, dirty/smelly bathrooms and break room. Do not recommend.
Pros
convenient Gilbert location
Cons
Employees don't matter
Interesting fun job
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 20, 2018
Can be a very busy chaotic day or a very low key quiet day offering an opportunity to catch up on work.
Must always be prepared for those surprise inspections but if the property is run as it is supposed to be passing an inspection is a breeze.
Pros
Good opportunity, learned a lot, fun job
Cons
Maintaining a clean property is a challenge, keeping occupancy up/delinquency down requires perseverance
Storages and services
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Shell Point, SCOctober 17, 2018
Working for P.S. was a pleasure. There were always competitive sales and friendly games to allow Property Managers and Assistant Property Managers to rise up the ladders and show their performance skills, weekly and monthly.
Public is not the place to advance.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami FLOctober 17, 2018
I was hired as a manager and dealt with way more than I should have. As a manager i did not has access to much other than the property. The benefits were horrible, they did not cover anything. When a hurricane blew off the top of my building, I was forced to work with no AC, no electricity, the entire building was filled with mold and yet I would have been fired if I did not agree to cleaning the facility. The entire building was falling apart but they acted as if nothing was wrong. It was against my own health and dignity to work in this facility. So could no longer put my health at risk. And no I did not get paid more than 10 an hour. It was not enough.
Pros
You manage your own property.
Cons
Everything else
Merchandise
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNOctober 16, 2018
The only way to get a raise is how much merchandise you sell and try to meet your quota for the month and the more money they make the better the company, but I don't no how they do for raises and how much of a raise they give,
Pros
People
Cons
No benefits
I apply for that job mentioned to you company public storage which i have quilifield to do that job apply fo
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2018
My is Onesmo Anderson i have 30 years and my character is polite man and hard work and applied the job of public assistance which are quilifield to .
Pros
Free lauches
Cons
Shorts breaks
Don't get paid enough for how much I work
On-Site Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 13, 2018
When working it's good at first but then you start to see what the company is really about. From there you'll get demotivated of working there to the point of Depression. (I'm currently going though therapy because of Depression)
Pros
constant hours (most of the time)
Cons
When in apartment, your dropped down to minimum wage with no hope of raises.
I was Property Manager
Proprty manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 9, 2018
Everything was fine until they changed the District Managers and he ended up not liking me due to having better numbers at my store then the rest of his district.
Pros
No constant micro managing
Cons
if your not liked you are out
Always has openings
Manager (Current Employee) –  Forestville, MD.October 7, 2018
Short staffing and new management caused a lot of my issues with the company. Prior to that a job is a job. Definitelyhas a glass ceiling and limited advancement.
13 years with them
Property Manager (Training Manager) (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYOctober 4, 2018
Public Storage was good to me i really don't complaint much. The challenge is the opportunity to growth is limited. I wish they had training to become a DM because it hurt I had to leave the the company to get a and opportunity to grow after 13 years with the company. Through the years I was able to meet great people. I would recommended to a young person looking to put there foot in a very stable company.
Pros
39-40 hrs guarantee a week.
Cons
growth is limited.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Public Storage.

Powered by Comparably