Publix Employee Reviews

Found 11,565 reviews matching the search See all 11,606 reviews
Almost A Pleasure to Work For
Grocery Replenishment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GANovember 15, 2018
Overall, not a bad place to work, but retail is retail. You put up with a lot of the same issues in most retail jobs (bad management, poor communication, rude customers). I was very happy with my rate of pay and my steady schedule, though not all stores will be the same. I definitely felt like there were ample incentives to keep working hard, even if it was physically demanding and emotionally draining at times. I made lifelong friends there and I don't regret working there at all.
Pros
Hour long lunch breaks, stock options, room for advancement, great environment, friendly co-workers, great benefits, opportunities to volunteer in the community
Cons
management moved around too often, physically demanding, stressful, poor communication, sometimes cult-like attitude
Lost Values
Deli Clerk, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 11, 2018
Fast paced days. Dealing with customers of all kinds and with all attitudes. Same with co workers, of course.

The hardest part of the job was the fact that not all management was kind in dealing with their workers and could make, or break, the department.

Older employees and those with restrictions due to Religious Beliefs are not always offered promotions.. Benefits are reduced more each year. Sadly going down in value.

For the most part my managers were easy to talk to and did all they were able to make sure we were well trained and that our customers had everything they were looking for. While most of my managers are no longer in the area or have left the company, they were nice people.
Pros
Employee Benefits, once you work enough hours/year
Cons
Some in Management
Its a great job to start out in, even begin a career. "IF" your young! If you're older than 40 you're in a dead end job.
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLNovember 5, 2018
I was 51 when I started out in Customer service. I work hard and after 3 months they were impressed with my work ethic enough to move me to another dept. But after 5-1/2 years of part time, meager annual raises and being declined, passed up or ignored for full time even when I showed interest in Mgt. It became clear to me the Manager had no intention of giving me full time, especially when my spouse lost their job. This after I received good reviews each and every time.
I can't prove it but I was given the impression that my age had a lot to do with it. Look at all their managers photos around all the stores, the majority of them aren't over the age of 40 and a lot of the Asst. Mgrs. are in their 20s.
I have found a full time job and I work only one day a week to keep the benefits.
Pros
I got along great with every one in the store, even some regular customers
Cons
Manager sucked, played favorites. A lot of nepotism.
Positive and fun working environment
FRONT SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 25, 2018
Great place to start building experience with customer service along with other custodial duties. A typical day involves communicating with customers either on the register, on the isles, or within any other department. Shopping cart management is nearly half of the labor done at Publix. Some managers are friendly and happy to talk to you while others may be more stern and stubborn. There are many young workers ages 16-25 and older workers that are mostly over 50. The hardest part of the job is usually dealing with difficult customers who might get offended or who weren't contempt with the services we provide at publix. The most enjoyable part is being able to walk around the entire store and even the parking lot all while still being on duty. Every where you go, there is always something to do.
Pros
Flexible schedule, friendly coworkers, respectable management, overall friendly customers
Cons
Not enough hours and low raise portions
Great Job but not easy
Assistant Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 4, 2018
Publix is a great company to work for and treated me very well. Advancement through the company is very possible if you work hard. They pay you well but they also put a lot of work on you and as a manager regardless if you're short staffed or very busy you have to get the job done. Publix has great benefits and they also give you stock on a regular basis with your pay. Publix gives evaluations twice a year for managers and depending on your performance they give generous raises. Although corporate/upper management is pushing more and more on managers and associates every year and making it more difficult to be able to do your job effectively. Overall it's a good company to work for, but it seems like they're gonna have to change something soon because a lot of the experienced managers are leaving because they are continually pushing that more is done with no additional help.
Pros
Benefits, pay, employee owned
Cons
Work to home life, hours
While Publix offers great benefits it's hard to live on the pay with the benefits
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 19, 2018
For the people who enter publix the minimum paycheck one receives for 40 hours is about 325 after taxes.That equates to about $16,900 a year at most and in Orlando, Florida that's not enough to live off of. The average rent is $1351 which is more than I made in a month, The health benefits subtract $100 from the weekly check thus making it nearly impossible to survive on. The rate in which a promotion may come around for a given store is around once every 2 years. Since promotions are so rare for those not in management it forces employees to scrape by some other means.
Pros
relaxed work environment, flexible scheduling, fair workload for the alotted time
Cons
It's becoming increasingly difficult to move up in the company, The starting pay isn' enough to cover the cost of living in Orlando, Florida. Benefits causes more financial problems than it's worth at entry level
n/a
Selector/Loader (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 28, 2018
I have been working at Publix full-time
Pros
A lot of overtime - this can be a pro and con
Great co-workers - everyone is nice and helpful
Room for growth - new jobs post daily
Excellent benefits - vision, dental, health, discount program, 401K, stock, etc.
Cons
Inexperienced management, lack of integrity, favoritism, slow, outdated processes, long mandatory overtime hours, hardly any work-life balance, unless your schedule permits.
Advice to Management
Promote individuals based on merit, not who you like - give everyone a fair chance. Communicate, communicate, communicate! Anticipate questions and have the answers for them, this will at least make it look like you know what you're doing.
Can be a good place to work
Cashier/ Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 6, 2018
Depending on the managers it could be a great place to work. You can't be afraid to speak your mind, when you need or want something. It has very flexible hours for college students, and very good hours when you need them if your a great worker! I have been here almost a year and it has been a good experience there is always room for growth and raises are every few months and year. Very great company, there could be some adjustments like any other company it can have it's ups and downs. But as a student it's a perfect place to work, and you get holidays off, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, etc. Make sure when you fill out your application only put the department you really want to work in. Grocery department depending on location can be very full of hours and occasionally late nights. You can always change departments depending on your manager. Great company for those who don't mind occasionally working retail or cashier and customer service. Always room for advancement here!
Pros
Hour breaks, friendly staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  florida and NCNovember 26, 2018
After working in customer service and the meat department with a little time spent in grocery during the holiday rushes, I can say this place can have serious opportunities for advancement. Just hope you get a manager who helps you and doesn't only care about moving to a new store to get their position. Ive had some of the best bosses anywhere here but also the worst.

The efficiency of the store solely depends on how the management treats the staff. Whether they don't hire enough staff and everyone gets mandatory overtime or everyone gets their fair share of hours.
benefits
Cons
inconsistant work hours, managment
Excels in Respecting people
Front Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mary Esther, FLOctober 1, 2018
While I would say the company values employees, and really tries to compensate well, there is some truth to favoritism in workplace and managers being somewhat in-experienced and unable to relate to the average worker bee. While I always felt at home, wanted, and respected there, I also felt like my skills weren't used, and that the job I was wanting was constantly out of reach. Only worked for 6 months, so may not have given enough of a chance. Publix really is a great place to work IF you can stay on your feet for up to 12 hours. The people will treat you like family, whether you're working there or not. I do value the culture there, but it's slowly becoming more like its competitors in the area of too much merchandising and drive. Expectations of employees are a bit too high, and I constantly felt pushed to do more than I physically was capable of.
Pros
benefits, people are nice
Cons
too high expectations and management unable to fully relate.
terrible works hours, unfriendly management, great benefits, friendly customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Gardendale, ALAugust 29, 2018
A typical day at work would be walking into Publix, going to clock in and going to the not so friendly customer service staff to see what will be your tasks for the day. At Publix I learned to not let other people's attitude affect your attitude. The management at Gardendale's Publix was recently replaced due to retirement and terminations. Honestly, there isn't a hard part on the job except getting yourself to put on those disgusting rain coats that never gets washed when you thought you were hired as a cashier and not knowing you have to bag until you come into work. The most enjoyable part of working at Gardendale's Publix is knowing that if you're punctual you will get a raise every 6 months.
Pros
payday, 6 month raise, coupons every so often
Cons
management, customer service staff, nasty raincoats that are required.
Excellent
Bakery Clerk/Baker (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLAugust 20, 2018
Seriously a great place to work with great benefits, but they expect a LOT out of their employees. If you give it your all you'll get a lot back from them. They have excellent benefits and a corporate structure that works for them and their employees.
Pros
Great management and culture, lots of good benefits, very flexible with scheduling if necessary, recently pay has become more competitive, increases in hours/salary and promotions are based on your performance and attitude at work
Cons
Difficult to get full time, expect everything from their employees, healthcare costs for spouse/children, donate money to some very unlikable politicians - they should stay out of politics, very conservative views on the appearance of their employees
Great
Stock Clerk & GRS, Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Saint Lucie, FLOctober 31, 2018
Worked for Publix around 3 years while in school as a stock clerk. Definitely fast paced physical job not for the lazy. Great to make your day go fast but can be very frustrating if you have a lazy team or management. You really only get great benefits if your full time but you get stock after a year in any position. I've worked in 2 stores now and how good the job is depends on your management really. Ive had awesome managers, sexist managers, lazy beyond belief managers. Job greatly depends on teamwork. Publix Is very big on training and promoting from within so if you wanna stay there can be good opportunities but prepare to work very very hard. Ive seen A lot of very stressed out managers. Publix pushes hard.
Pros
Great benefits for full time, stock offers, teamwork, Flexible hours, good for students or part time.
Cons
Lazy Team members occasionally, sometimes management doest like to listen to problems. Physically demanding sometimes.
Great place to work with great benefits
Produce Representative (Current Employee) –  Oviedo, FLDecember 12, 2018
Publix has a great workplace culture with friendly people who are determined to delver great customer service and products. A typical day goes by fast as you are constantly completing task. The management is great overall and I am surrounded by people I like working with. The most enjoyable part includes that hard work pays off and management always recognizes your hard work. The hardest part of the job seems to be the inconsistent hours managers have to work. Overall it is a great company to work for.
Pros
Benefits, flexible part-time hours
Cons
Long and inconsistent hours for management positions
Overall Publix has been a pleasant place to work
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLSeptember 21, 2018
An average day at Publix can range from slow and laid back to tense and fast paced in a matter of minutes. I have learned that a good use of time management skills will almost always have you on top of all your tasks. Management usually does an adequate job of scheduling the right amount of help. Employees must practice superior hygiene skills and maintain a clean cut/shaven look and visible piercings are extremely prohibited. I would say the most challenging part of working at Publix is breaking down the truck deliveries early in the morning. Sometimes it can be busy and multitasking becomes a must to succeed. The most enjoyable part about Publix is my fellow coworkers, I find everyone I've ever worked with here to be pleasant and efficient. Publix does an excellent job of hiring focused and committed employees who are striving to do the best they can everyday.
Pros
Annual barbecues, stock options, health insurance, 401k
Cons
sometimes understaffed, lack of career advancement, low hourly pay
Ok pay, very political
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FloridaSeptember 14, 2018
Been working here for a year. I work my butt off in the deli and know every aspect of it. Full time is a joke unless the store manager loves you. Hard work and knowing how to do your job correctly does not matter. You could be a chimp with supreme customer service skills and get a full time position. If you come in when asked, never call out, stay late to help out, work fast, follow protocol it doesn't matter unless you win the store manager over with charm and butt kissing, you will not get full time. They will raise the pay scale per hour and a new associate that started 2 days ago will make as much as you do per hour after the raises you've received, they do not adjust that, very unfair. Part timers take on the load of hard work while full timers sit back, relax and act like they are so much better than you.
Pros
401 k after 6 months, stock after 1 year
Cons
Full time is very hard to get, very little hours, no acknowledment for a great job done
Great place to work but not perfect for everyone
Bagger and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 14, 2018
Considerably one of the best first jobs. Right away you start learning valuable lessons in "premier" customer service and other transferable skills. Plenty of opportunities and career paths if you plan to move up; benefits are available very soon as long as you get enough hours a week (but that's the catch) you have to virtually be full time to survive the low hours after peak season and still make the minimum for the benefits. Wish I had been told that sooner. As always, some customers will be rude but for the most part Publix is a positive environment; my store's employees were very nice and helpful since the day I started. The hardest part of bagging/cashiering is the repetition. Eventually, you no longer need to put much thought into your actions and that can make it hard for a person like me to want to continue coming to work and doing the same thing everyday. But if you love routine, this job is perfect for you!
Pros
Frequent coupons for employees
Cons
Fast paced, loud, stressful
I get to meet and help all kinds of people
Meals Specialist/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLNovember 29, 2018
While working at Publix you will send a lot of time on your feet. My Publix is a very busy Publix so everyday is different. I have learned about different cultures and ingredients used in the dishes that I prepare. I truely enjoy helping out in other departments, such as Meat, Deli, Produce and Bakery. Helping my coworkers out with their job allows me to learn different things and I really enjoy being a team player. I'd have to say the hardest part of my job is the low pay, lack of benifits (unless you are fulltime, which is very hard to get) and working holidays instead of spending time with my family. The most enjoyable part of my job would be helping my customers master the art of cooking, especially cooking steak. I also enjoy the interpersonal interaction I have with my regular customers. They make me laugh and I hope I make them at least smile.
Pros
Making a difference with my customers.
Cons
Low pay and no full time.
Publix where shopping is a pleasure but working isn't.
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GA 30269August 13, 2018
My experience wasn't great with Publix. I worked for them for 11 years before I was promoted and had previous management experience. They have a testing process, which I passed numerous times. In the district in which I worked there was a lot of nepotism and it was about who management likes and also a lot of immoral things happening. Once in management I saw and heard a lot of things I didn't like. I asked to transfer out of the store and was told I couldn't because their weren't any openings. So I asked to move into another district and was told the same so I chose to resign. My biggest issue is that it was not an even playing field. Some managers were held to higher standards than others. I worked 50 to 60 hr work weeks because of the high volume in my department. I actually worked 70 hrs one week. Reflects last store.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Advancement isn't based on merit or skill. Solely on who you know.
Productivity and Teamwork
CAKE DECORATOR (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAOctober 1, 2018
A normal day would consist of working as a team, but also individually. Preforming task that were required to be completed by the end of shift and helping others. Learning new things as seasons change and being able to show your own creativity. It was a very family oriented work place where they cared about not only the job but you and your family as well. The hardest part of the job would be the rise in production during the holidays. The most enjoyable experiences were working as a team and seeing the beauty of the finished product.
Pros
healthcare benefits, 401K, vacations
Cons
long hours, lack of breaks during busy times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Publix. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight