Publix

Publix insights

Based on 6,229 survey responses
What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Loved working for this company. Been in management 7 years, paid very well for the job. Taught me great customer service. Upper leadership could be in the store more.

Cons

Long hours.

Hard to find child care that accommodates the schedule

Great place to work. Tons of room for advancement if that is something you want to work towards. I only left because of child care issues. Would definitely recommend.

Publix is an amazing company.

Typical work day at Publix is dynamic and fast-paced. Most managerial roles are filled from within, so as managers we know what it means to put in the work. All managers in customer service are expected to help run the front. This is why you will often see managers bagging or doing carry-outs. This makes for an incredible atmosphere of cooperation and mutual respect. Endless opportunities for advancement, ample PTO, ownership in the company, affordable health insurance, long-term disability, vision, dental, holiday bonuses for everyone, quarterly bonuses for management, reimbursement for college, and an incredible retirement program. It’s a great company to work for.

Fast paced, long hours, work life balance is not there.

You are constantly juggling many things in management and the pressure to perform can be very high. The job at times seems to wear you down but can also be incredibly rewarding. Pay and benefits are great for the most part considering the industry. Work life balance takes careful planning sometimes if you want to see your loved ones. it is a 45 to 50+ hour work week at all hours of the day and business obviously ramps up around the holidays. I do not believe you will find a better company within this industry.

No home life but pay is fantastic

It's hard to describe a typical day as a manager at Publix because it is all over the place and depends on what is going on. I worked for Publix for almost 16 years and would never bash a company that I still have stock in however, the time I was employed there I did not have a work/life balance. The pay is fantastic and the benefits are even better and there's always room for improvement because every company has room for improvement.

Pros

Pay, benefits, the people

Cons

Crazy hours, the turn around of hours, unrealistic expectations of corporate level management

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Great company in theory

The company promotes an employee focused philosophy, but does not maintain that philosophy in actuality. The expectation of management is that they are available 24/7. There is no work/life balance at all. Vacations have been cut short and new parents are forced to cut their leave short due to “business needs”. Instead of building up struggling associates, management is encouraged to hire new staff to replace them. Additionally, they have implemented a hiring strategy to hire minors to indoctrinate them innto Publix culture to make them believe there is no better company than Publix.

Pros

Pay/benefits

Cons

No work/life balance and inconsistent management

Customer Service Oriented

Great benefits but lacks work/life balance. The management is great but can tend to be stressed. The culture is very strong at Publix. Pubix is a great place to work for people without family demands.

Not the best place to work. If you’re looking to break your back and never have time off and never get recognition for a job well done.

Never get recognition and no benefits at all. Definitely should treat their employees better. Too strict on tardiness. They will write you up for being three minutes late. Heartless company.

Great place to work!

If you are a people person this is the job for you. Management is very supportive and they promote within. The culture is family based and recognizes the value of the customer. The hardest part of the job is potential long hours. The most enjoyable is feeling fulfilled by making the customers happy! .

Pros

good pay and benefits

Cons

Great place to work if you're not in management

Loved working at Publix, great pay and benefits for full and part time associates. My issues only started when I went into management. I enjoyed all the relationships I built working for this company, including meeting my husband and best friend at my place of employment. They worked with schedule requests while I was in college and always tried to accommodate the needs of a student. Just don't go into management, they have a different regard for people who take those positions and the work/home life balance is not accommodating for a single parent.

Pros

great profit plan and bonuses

great customer service

The company has great culture, and it reflects in their customer service. Moving up in to management was on your ability, and performance of your position. Most managers that I worked for were fair and based on your job performance that is how you were promoted to a higher position.

Pros

culture

Cons

scheduling

good place

Publix is a good place to work. No set schedules. Good benefits. Management is mostly good. Good customer base depending on the store you work at. Job security.

Great company to grow with, with unlimited possibilities to an advance.

I love Publix as a company. They truly care about their customers, the community, the environment and their workers. The culture within each store is different, as the individual store managers and department managers hold different ethical standards, strict to lax. Information is passed down from corporate office easily, but demands are held high and not met due to high production expectations with less help. Callouts are common, as this is a retail setting job. City stores differ in working hours given to each department from stores in the suburbs. Hours are based on sales.

Pros

Paid weekly, store is closed for major holidays, quarterly bonus’ for managers only, promote from within, job security.

Cons

No social life, you will work nights, weekends and minor holidays, schedule is solely based on retail hours and is made for you if you are a manager in charge.

It is a good job with excellent benefits. However, the work/life balance needs attention, especially as you move up the ladder. I love leading my team as Customer Service Manager. The hours are long, over 50 per week, and upper management will move you far from home without a single thought.

Benefits

Cons

Work/life balance

Publix was a great place to work.

I started off as a part time cashier and was able to work my way to management in three years. I developed skills in order to advance and most importantly supervise and train 50+ associates, and do my job effectively, and professionally.

Pros

Publix trains and supports growth for it's associates

Good Company to Work For

Good work environment (people) very demanding schedule for management Great benefits advancement opportunities Customers are number one priority inconsistent schedule

Pros

great benefits

Cons

Not a lot of family time

Customer service

I worked my way up from cashier to Common Area Manager. Loved working in the Cash Office, Management and working with all my Associates. I open and closed the store.

Pros

Great Benifits

Cons

hours were 50 plus and open at one day and close till midnight

Change

When I first started with Publix it was a excellent company that cared associates over the years something changed. I felt that they no longer cared for associates but rather about making a profit.

Pros

Offers great benefits

Cons

Some management showed favoritism

Productive and friendly place to work.

Publix is a great company overall, but if you were to go into management just be ready for Publix to dictate your life. The managers schedules are inconsistent and work every holiday. The benefits and stock are great. The typical day at Publix is smooth, depending on what location and store you are at. I've learned customer service through Publix. The hardest part about working for Publix as a manager is being away from family all the time.

Pros

stock

Cons

no family time

Publix wants to be first in your life and have your personal life second

You will have no personal / family life. You never have the same schedule or days off. Unless you are in upper management your pay is not good for the hours and quality-of-life .

fast pace rewarding job

Every day is a different day there is never a boring time. taking care of customer and some cleaning. I was enjoyed all 30 ears that I work there. They have a cult like customer base and they are very loyal. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer they become your friends almost family and the hardest part is the hours being in management I worked almost 67 hours a week. I am detail and couldn't leave uuntil all the job is done

Pros

chance to advance from within is great

Cons

leaving the store when promoted develope friendship