Publix Employee Reviews for Deli Associate

31.6K
Found 1,209 reviews matching the search See all 10,626 reviews
unproductive and not good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALAugust 12, 2018
The culture is poor. management is awfully rude and they have no respect for the workers they have there. I learned what it means to have no employers on your side to fight for you.
My experience at Publix
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vestavia Hills, ALAugust 10, 2018
I cook most days that I work, It is pretty easy. On other days I work I do most of the cleaning. Not hard at all. I have to cook the food for the hot bar and put on the rotisserie chicken, as well as slice meat and cheese for the customer. Giving premier quality customer service.
Pros
Evey once in a while we may get a free meal
Cons
Employees not wanting to work making your job harder. having to pay for your food full price
Very fast pace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, GAAugust 8, 2018
Depending on your department and store location it's constantly business. I loved that there wasn't a seniority problem, it was more so about work ethic and how hard a person worked. It was also a con though, harder shifts for harder workers.
Love Publix
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 7, 2018
I loved Publix. Not only is it a great place to work for, they are a great store. Although i do not work there anymore. I continue to do my grocery shopping there.
If you ever see a good review for publix it’s rarely ever from a deli associate
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLAugust 6, 2018
So I’ve been with Publix about 7 months in the deli and I’m already ready for a new place to work. The Deli isn’t all that bad but i will say it’s definitely gotta be the busiest department in the whole store. I’m a part timer so i get no benefits but my pay is pretty good. Hours range but lately been more consistent like 25-30 hrs. I think the biggest problems i have with my location is the snobby customers that come through (which we are expected to satisfy their every need with a smile) no matter what because the managers don’t want customers to complain and the large workload in the deli. With this job there is no time to sit unless it is your 30 min break. So if you work a 10 hr shift you will be on your feet for 9 1/2 hrs. I’m pregnant now so this has become much harder on me than it was before. But what frustrates me mainly is when we have enough employees scheduled but some associates will run off in the back and find something else to do so they can avoid helping customers at all cost. So what’s that mean for me? Sometimes I look around and I’m literally the only employee on the floor. There is hot case, sub bar, and cold cuts! So i guess I’m suppose to man all three of those stations alone or until someone comes out of hiding when i call for help. My manager is a pretty good manager. She definitely works with me when it comes to my schedule but as for the full timers it doesn’t come that easy and they will take advantage of you and make you work crazy long hours. Also i will say my managers rarely ever help us on the counter when we really need it. You will walk back  more... there and they’re always on their computer/cell phones in their rolly chairs. As for advancement with Publix, i think it’s easier to advance in other departments but as for the deli we have full timers who have been there 10 years and they have only been promoted to full time never management. There are some employees who have been with the company for a few years and still haven’t been promoted to full time so i really think it depends on where you are and also if your manager really likes you because there was a girl promoted to full time within her first few months because the manager really liked her. The 6 month evaluations are nice so there’s potential for raises every 6 months versus annually. Overall i wouldn’t say it’s completely terrible but i don’t see myself here long term. I feel bad for the older employees who are kinda stuck here because they have just a few more years till they can retire so they’re just hanging in there a little longer.  less
Pros
Occasional coupons, good pay, ok management
Cons
Long shifts, short breaks, large workload, hard to advance, rude customers
Pretty good place to work
Assistant Manager- Deli (Former Employee) –  Trinity, FLAugust 6, 2018
Very corporate place, it was all about just the numbers. Was an overall good place to work as an associate. Once you get into management it gets pretty cut throat.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
inconsistant work schdule
Excellent Work Place
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 5, 2018
Managment is good at working with employees and customers. Lots of hours and excellent pay in any department. Co-workers are amazing also. Deli is a hard place to work and is hard to get into.
Pros
Hour lunches, enjoyable workplace
Cons
benefits do not come right away
management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLAugust 5, 2018
typically great. they're there when needed, works well with scheduling. they like to watch employees grow. does their job well and helps you to do yours well also.
its ok
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLAugust 2, 2018
there is a lot to do and few people in the department to do all the work. Co-workers call out often with little consequences leaving us the work load. i wanted to move up the ladder but my manager did not have the time to train me.
Pros
hard to get fired
Cons
long inconsistent hours
Publix
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAAugust 2, 2018
Long time associate of publix. benefits are great but the promotion system is backwards. I have been promotion eligible for almost 3 years now and have been passed over multiple times with no explanation or reasoning. also this company brings people on as full time even though they say they wont and they usually pay new associates at as much as ones with 5 or more years of service. Multiple years of service is a waste of time when you are paid the same as new employees.
Horrible expoerence
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLJuly 31, 2018
Horrible experience
Horrible managers
Horrible assosites
Managers only care about themselves and their favorites
Had a lot of issues with this company that I asked to go to school and asked for a set schedule for school and was denied . They had told me to pick either school or job and since I needed the money had no option
Pros
Cons
Horrible hours never consisted when you work
Its a job for you if you dont have kids.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAJuly 31, 2018
It's a job for you if you don't have kids. The management bring their problems from home to work. That's not fare. They make you work overtime BUT WON'T PAY YOU OVERTIME.
its good fast paste
DELI CLERK (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCJuly 31, 2018
The job is great, sometimes its a little difficult. Everybody is nice.
Its great customers, Youll get some hours if they see you work hard. Its take sup to 3 months for a raise
Drama Alert! Don't go if you can't handle drama!
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLJuly 29, 2018
Between favoritism and the constant drama that happened I found it hard to enjoy my time working for this supposedly amazing company. Don't get me wrong I had some amazing co-workers but I constantly felt like I'd been thrown back into High School almost every day. Also sucking up to the managers seemed to be the only way to get a decent pay raise or even good hours.
Cons
Favoritism, Drama
A fun place to work outside the deli dept.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ponte Vedra Beach, FLJuly 28, 2018
When the deli dept manager isn't there and its the asst dept manager, it runs smoothly. But when the dept manager is there, its chaotic. The manager has no leadership skills. He does play favorites.
It's agitating when I have to remind him and the asst dept manager of my medical issue over and over especially of my memory issues.
The employees in that dept don't know what teamwork is, they all think just because they have seniority that they should take the lead. "Teamwork Makes the Dream Work"
Pros
When it is a decent crew everything runs smoothly.
Cons
When we're short staffed (95% of the time), chaos erupts and the dept manager still expects everything to get done on time
Mediocre
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 28, 2018
Your department manager is the most crutial. They will be responsible for your performance reviews. Impress them, become their best friend. Between them and your store manager, it can make or break your experience. I did not care for my store manager, not helpful. Overall, not impressed but perhaps I had too high of expectations. Minimal work life balance. Expect to work weekends, some holidays and late on closing shifts, 11:00 pm and sometimes later. Keep in mind each store has its differences; however, this was my experience. Money is alright but the work is harder than you think.
Great Benefits
Deli Team Member (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLJuly 28, 2018
I wasn't here long, but the only good thing I can say about Public is the benefits are amazing. I just didn't like the fact I was a chicken fryer the while time
Full-time hours on a Part-time schedule.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLJuly 27, 2018
There's ALWAYS more work to do. Guest flow never stops, so hours are always available. Some of the best co-workers and management around. Real culture of 'owning' your work.
Productive work place with collaborative workers
Deli worker (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLJuly 26, 2018
My experience with Publix has allowed me to excel in skills that are associated with working in the deli.The working environment is quite friendly and its a nice working area.
bad management
Publix Deli associate (Current Employee) –  Sawgrass, FLJuly 23, 2018
This is a good place to work but it just has poor management that doesn't make it as great as it seems. Also they never have room for full time and treat some bad
Pros
good company
Cons
bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Publix. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight