Punch Bowl Social Employee Reviews

this place needs help
Host (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 22, 2019
There's so much to say. They are short staffed because no one wants to work here. Management has no clue what they are doing. It seems like everyone is scrambling to catch up but can never quite make it let alone get ahead. Everyone is on drugs or drinks!
I loved working at punch bowl social
Barback/food runner (full time) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2019
I was here for approximately 3 years, and I loved it! They only had 2 Punch Bowls when I first got hired, now there is 14+. When I first started, it was more of a dive bar vibe, now it is super corporate. They used to treat their employees very good, I got 2 raises, my last raise was a $2 raise! There is very good opportunity for advancement. The only problem they have is they have investors now, so they send secret shoppers out a few times a month, and if you get a bad secret shop, its an automatic write up or termination, depending on how bad the shop was. The work environment became super stressful, and a lot of amazing workers get fired because of this policy. I would work there again if I could though!
Pros
Fun staff, great tips, promotion opportunities, night club vibe
Cons
Corporate Management
no very stability work and live
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 9, 2019
a lot hours to work, no support, just put fingers on every mistake. regional chef think employees are robots, no breaks for hourly employees, no company no sure about the menu, change some thing every week. etcc
Pros
meal
Cons
no breaks for hourly employees
Punch Bowl Social
Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 8, 2019
Managers are always open to talk to you and listen to your problems. At times it seems as if people are running around looking for hours though as it sometimes seems as if there is never enough for the team. People are nice and friendly and willing to help you as long as they are not a server.
Cons
very demanding on weekends for low tips
Fun and Enjoyable work environment, but POOR Management
Host /Activities Host (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 5, 2019
I was promised full time scheduling and opportunities of advancement, but when it was time to make good on those promises I was asked to stay at the position that Management preferred me in. I was hired for 2 positions so that I'd receive full time hours as promised, but was never trained because of what management wanted. Every time inquired about my pay and position I was given the run-around. The Head Chef advocated for me and wanted me to be placed in the Kitchen being that, that is my career goal and WHAT I HAVE A DEGREE in.... instead I was wrongfully terminated for being antagonized by a customer and threatened to the point that I felt unsafe. I asked for assistance from "guest ambassadors" aka security and they just watched the situation escalate. The staff was amazing and I didn't want to leave because of them, but management is terribly unprofessional and they treat the employees as if they need the to work for PBS more than PBS needs quality, hardworking employees.
Pros
25% off food, Great atmosphere
Cons
Poor management skills, Employees have no rights
Productive and Fun place to work at
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAFebruary 28, 2019
It is a challenge place to work at if you like fast pace under pressure rush ours. On dinner tables needs to be clean and reset by plate, silverware and mason jar ready for the next guest party to sit and be serve. Buss tubs its a must need to be empty all times no dirty plates needs to be in them while guest are present. Always making sure communicating with servers and captain servers if they need something. Always making sure server station is Stock. Making sure all four zones of the restaurant is clean and restock. Help food runners to run food as the expo is setting trays with food ready to be run.
Pros
no free lunch and if you are a trainer no extra pay
Cons
able to keep learning craft drinks and food
Half of the managers suck
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 27, 2019
Some of the management was very friendly but the other half of the management team picked favorites and applied rules only to certain people a lot of the time. Friendly and fun coworkers and a great place to get experience.
Pros
Discounts on food and drinks, occasional free lunches and games, decent money
Cons
Unfair management, long hours with very little break time
Toxically Corporate
FOH staff (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 18, 2019
This company fails it's stores by not adequatly training new management. When they promote from within there is little done to help a transitioning person be a decent manager. This person just went from serving or bartending and now is a MOD with little awareness when to cut and minimal knowledge how to handle some situations. This is a top down corporate problem and seems to be systemic.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Terrible management, No money
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 9, 2019
Poorly ran company with high turnover rate. They're constantly hiring because their employees are constantly quitting. Mainly due to poor management and very little money to be made.
Didn't like it
Executive Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 6, 2019
I didn't like it very much I never had any time to myself and I was expected to dedicated my life to punchbowl and the life style. I don't recommend working for these people, they will stab you in the back the second they think your not useful anymore.
Pros
free drinks and food
Cons
Disloyalty
review
Executive Chef, Culinary Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 19, 2019
Good pace to work. Enjoyed my time working for the CDO and traveling around opening new locations. Pay is decent but also depends on the demographic. Would recommend working here.
not a good job..
Facility maintenance, Bar Back, Bar prep, (Former Employee) –  DenverJanuary 18, 2019
I've never worked at a place that has such high turnover most employees make it two to three weeks Max. Most managers about 2 months, I had three general managers in the past 9 months. Hands down the worst place I have ever worked.
Concerned with Safety practices
Banquet and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 10, 2019
Safety was my concern at the job constantly. It was as if no other person had a servsaf or knew what to do with it. I love cooking but in a high paced kitchen safety is very important.
Pros
meeting great people
Cons
no safety practices
work place environment
Im a S.A, Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 4, 2019
id recommend to anyone to go there or work there its a cool place but me personally i wanna move on soon,first restaurant job ive had an i think it'll be my last for sure,just not for me personally anymore,it was nice but im over it
Pros
great work envirement, great coworkers an people that youll meet
Cons
management, not knowing exactly when you'll be off work
Fun envieroment
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CADecember 11, 2018
With the right team the co workers become family. The guest are happy with the entertainment that is available. They have Captain roles so I suggest to become a captain for your zone because that's where the money is made. Also banquets
Activities are poorly managed and unorganized
Activities Host (Former Employee) –  St. Louis Park, MNDecember 3, 2018
Working as a Activites Host for this company was a nightmare. Not only did the bowling lanes malfunction multiple times during each shift games, kiosks, and even the ATM would malfunction regularly leaving the Activites host to deal with upset guests requesting refunds on a daily basis. All the focus is paid to the food and drink program leaving activities to suffer. Event coordinators expect you to cater to their private parties and do not tip you at all. My last straw was when the company rented out all the bowling lanes on a Saturday night which is a very busy time and did nothing to inform customers leaving the Activites host to deal with upset customers all night. They wouldnt even let me put up a sign. Management does not care about the Activities program or the activities staff and I was never properly trained since there is no training program. I couldn't even give out exact change because they only provided us with quarters. This place is a joke I could go on. I'm my opinion I was set up to fail.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Activities poorly managed
Managment
Resturant employee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 21, 2018
They lack fundamentals of a high volume restaurant. With that there is a high turnover of employees which creates a revolving door for bad service. They dont hire enough employees and the days working are very inconsistent.
Pros
Discounted meals, free games for employees. tips are decent.
Cons
Awful managment, lack of employees
Muy buen hambiente de trabajo
Cook and Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CANovember 16, 2018
Para mí es un trabajo muy cómodo ya que los compañeros haces que sea tranquilo y alegre
Pros
Todos trabajamos positivamente
Cons
Falta un poco de organización de parte de los chefs
Great unless there aren't enough dishwashers
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 13, 2018
It was great when I first started but then they had me working 13 hours shifts with only 8 hours between shifts, not enough time to get home and get enough sleep. Plus after nine months and doing this was only making minimum wage when everywhere else downtown pays more. Management lies to you but almost all the prep cooks and line cooks are cool.
Pros
Cool coworkers
Cons
No lunch breaks and bad pay
It was fun
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAOctober 28, 2018
I had a nice time there, no problems at all. Very fun environment to be working in while going to college. Mostly all my time was communicating with customers and relaying information.