PuppySpot Employee Reviews

Mission driven and excellent work/life balance
Sr. Backend PHP Engineer (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMay 22, 2019
I loved working at the company. It felt like home. They have a mission to correct the excesses in the traditional breeding world and create a better customer experience.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
impossible deadlines
Stay away
puppy concierge (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 20, 2019
If you love your friends and family you will STAY AWAY from this company , they will expect you to work 60 hrs a week and reach unattainable goals . Management will lie to you over and over and tell you to stay positive but in reality they are robbing you of your time and money. You will get paid about 900$ every two weeks and only top senior sales people make commission. I have seen more than 40 people get fired or quit this place in the past couple months and I felt sick going into work every single day. Managers will curse out loud , tell you about how much money you are going to make but in reality the company is struggling . They up mark their puppies an insane amount ( BY THOUSANDS ) and try to make customers believe they are actually getting a healthy puppy for a good deal . Whenever there is a slow day they blame it on the sales people. They fly in all the executives for each new hiring class just to put on a "show" but a week later everyone leaves and the office is no longer a happy bumping place . It is a " say whatever you have to say to sell a puppy" type of position or else you will lose your job .
Pros
You get to talk about puppies
Cons
Everything about this company is a con
Beware!!!
Puppy Concierge (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 20, 2019
If you have a stable and steady income do not come to this company! Their commission structure was bogus when I started and benefited the company more than the employee. After changing the commission structure it only benefits the people with the best leads but if you’re a rookie they start you off with bullsh*t leads and expect you to meet their quota before allowing you to get the good leads like everyone else. Yeah that may be every sales job but when your puppies are selling for 2k-6k plus taxes, it’s not so easy to meet that when you’re getting leads that got declined for credit to buy the dog or they realize how much of a crazy mark up it really is. Unless you’re a breeder you will not benefit from this company!!! All they have are 20 somethings just out of college who don’t know that there are better companies to work for....
Pros
Free lunches on the weekend although it was never enough food!
Cons
No overtime pay, forces you to work weekends, no work/life balance at all
So much wasted potential
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTApril 16, 2019
It took me a long time to think about what I wanted to say about this place. Seeing a company whose focus is on puppies sounds exciting, but they’ve managed to drain the excitement of helping someone find a pet.

I worked in Sales at first, followed by Client Services, taking escalates calls in the Utah office. The nature of the work isn’t why I left - being in a position where I can see the mistakes of the employees involved in every step from sale to travel was an eye opener and I refused to be an apologist for dishonest tactics and poor product.

Long-times sales people, particularly in Florida, can get away with murder. They can lie to customers about breeders, puppies, health, or travel with little to no repercussion. Part of this happens because of how much pressure is put on just to make the sale. Numbers are prioritized more than transparency or efficiency, and the company is cushioned by the number of customers who excitedly overlook the process once their puppy arrives home.

There is no form of auditing going on with operations - this can lead to uneven distribution of leads and spiffs to the sales people, and an uneven workload distributed between the operations side. But rather than disciplining the employees who pawn their load off, it’s the busy employees who can’t meet demands that are punished. Things simply don’t feel even.

Next is the breeders - PuppySpot will not cut ties with less-than desirable breeders so they can maintain cash flow. I had to inform 4 different customers that their puppies (all from the same litter) had contracted pancreatitis
  more... and wouldn’t survive. Pancreatitis isn’t contagious - it’s not even hereditary. Whatever those breeders were doing, I had to be an apologist for, and I’ve never felt more sick with myself. So many days were spent asking myself if I was still a good person.

Despite how much you love puppies, your time is better utilized elsewhere.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Awful culture, false promises
Scam. If you have a steady job dont leave it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 11, 2019
This place hires people as CONTRACTORS so that it is easy for them to fire the employees later if they dont sell enough puppies. Sales goal is to sell 25 puppies a month. They provide you with leads that you have to call and sell. Good leads are provided to top salesman while bad leads are given to the new people. By bad leads i mean dead leads that the top salesman couldnt do anything with. How easy do you think it is to sell dogs worth 3-6 thousand? Like i said that are prepared to fire new salesman that cant sell 25 dogs a month with bad leads.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Bad management. Unfair leads
Absolutely no direction
Puppy Manager (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTMarch 5, 2019
I tried to take the reviews with a grain of salt when I started working here. I even had a manager say that. However, they are all true. Management is a mess. They are hard to find when you need them including when a call is escalated. Queue's are a mess. People are able to log off the queue's and not take calls and they will take advantage of that, leaving their work for all those who actually do their job. Management doesn't even care. They use terrible coaching tactics and will humiliate someone in front of their peers to get a point across and threaten to fire you at every chance they get. The training is a mess. For the first week we sat around asking for direction/waiting for it and nothing really happened. In the time I worked there I watched 8 people quit, in an office of maybe 20 in all. I would really suggest you listen to the reviews before applying here...
Pros
Free lunch on Saturday and Sunday. Talk to people about puppies all day.
Cons
Management, Benefits, Ceo
Unethical
Travel Coordinator Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLFebruary 1, 2019
Poor management ran by greedy unethical lawyers. High turnovers due toxic environment. Overwhelming work load. Poor pay. Sales driven, puppymill puppies
Pros
Puppies in office
Cons
Company as a whole
Lost in the dark
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTDecember 23, 2018
No clear vision, no communication between any departments, very secretive relationship between operations and sales. New CEO and VP who have no clue of industry or direction of company. Promote from outside
Pros
Cons
hours, pay, work/ life balance, communication, executive leadership
Does not value knowledgeable valuable employees
Breeder Advocate (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTNovember 26, 2018
Management will tell you to your face that you are replaceable. If you don’t play the corporate games you will not make it. You may play the game well & still fail.
Pros
Free lunches and play with toys
Pretty good for sales
Puppy Concierge (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLNovember 2, 2018
Pretty good for sales position, make over 100 outbound calls, have a decent base pay, commission is lucrative if you sale and like to do OT, a lot of change tends to happen.
If you work 80 hrs a week you'll make money
PUPPY CONCIERGE(INSIDE SALES) (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTOctober 12, 2018
I've worked at PuppySpot for a number of years. Seen over 50 employees come and go with over 8 managers. You are a number here, not an individual and you're only worth something to them if you produce and work 60+ hrs a week.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
No work-life balance
Terrible company from the top down
Sales (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 13, 2018
Notice how the only positive reviewers are managers? Unfortunately the Florida management team treats their employees terribly. It all stems from the executives though. The new executive team is a ruthless group that only considers it's employees as a number. Any time you take advantage of the "open door policy" you're either mocked by your manager or they ignore you completely. This place is in complete disarray so save yourself the time and don't even bother accepting a job from this place.
Pros
Decent pay, coworks can be fun
Cons
Management, hours, overall culture.
Awesome Place to Work
Senior Management (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJuly 23, 2018
I have had the pleasure of working at PuppySpot for 7 years and am very proud to be a part of this company and everything it stands for. Very rarely do you find a company where every employee shares the same passion, but I found that at PuppySpot.

Not only is PuppySpot extremely passionate about the service they provide, but they are passionate about their employees as well. I could go on and on about the things I like most, but to spare you from reading my ramblings, I'll do my best to keep it short.

Talent Mobility- Rewards superstar employees with growth opportunities.

Surrender Program - Puppies who can no longer be cared for by their forever families are either returned to their breeders or rehomed with loving PuppySpot employees.

Rehoming Program - PuppySpot assists breeders in finding homes for their retired breeding adults and does not turn a profit for doing so.

Rewards Creative Problem Solving - The employees are empowered to suggest and help implement new ideas and processes to improve the PuppySpot process.

SO MUCH FUN! - Between catered lunches on the weekend, company outings and events, great benefits, casual work environment, great employees, and supportive managers, and let's not forget; puppies!, this company is by far the most fun, caring, and entertaining company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Catered Lunches, Benefits, Growth Opportunities, Company Events
Run away
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTJuly 18, 2018
There are no growth opportunities. The management is unappreciative and degrading. The company changes CEO’s so often, there is zero consistency. The team members are amazing & the goal to match families with heathy puppies is admirable, however they are not able to achieve this. Working here was the most stressful and unfilling job I’ve ever had.
Pros
Food, friends, & pictures of puppies.
Cons
Bad management, no growth, hostile supervisors.
Do not waste your time!
Puppy Concierge (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTJuly 17, 2018
Terribly ran company! It has a lot of potential, but they do not have the right leadership in place. At the end of the day, I was tired of placing puppies from puppy mills that had health issues. This ate away at my moral compass.
Not an ideal workplace or setting.
Veterinary Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 28, 2018
I worked with PuppySpot when they were Purebred Breeders a few years ago. The atmosphere was better then, but once the company became more corporate, things change. With that change came unreasonable expectations, leading to the loss of many good employees, most of them leaving on their own accord. When I started, in the Customer Service/Health Department, we had more than 20 people, not counting management, and the workload was balanced and atmosphere was great. When I left, there were about 8 people in total, counting management, and our workload was staggering. We lost so many good employees and they were never replaced! There hasn't been a new hire in months! They interview people but no one was hired. Its a shame, because it was a great job when I started, and we had 2 great managers. One left. And the other was transferred to another department 2 months ago. The newer management for Customer Service and Health have no idea what they are doing, and the head of the department is at a corporate level, his office in California so he has no idea what is going on. I would've recommended this company to anyone a year and a half ago. Not anymore. Its a darn shame.
Pros
Free lunch on weekends.
Cons
Highly stressful, no manager support, no unity, corporate.
May 31, 2018

We appreciate constructive feedback from the team, both current and past, however it's disappointing that you didn't take advantage of our open-door policy to share your feelings while part of the PuppySpot team.
A lot has changed since your exit, including restructuring the Customer Advocate teams, with additional leadership both on the management and executive levels. Our Chief Information Officer has recently taken over operations, and while it's true he calls California home, he visits the Florida or Utah office weekly and checks in with department managers daily.
We're a community of dog-lovers and expect integrity, professionalism and ownership from our team. Those who don't meet these standards will move on quickly. It's certainly a shame that you have such a negative view of your time as part of the team, but we wish you the best of luck in your professional journey.

Great opportunities for advancement!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLFebruary 16, 2018
I have been working with Puppyspot since late last year, and I can honestly say that everyone here has been so welcoming and the overall environment is just a great place to come to work each day. The management has shown that they really do want to listen to their employees and want to get ideas to continue to grow and improve. Its been a really great experience for me personally.
Pros
Pet friendly, Company provided lunch on weekend, Casual environment
March 9, 2018

It is wonderful to hear that you feel so positively about your time here with PuppySpot. Our HR, Management, and Executive Teams strive to maintain our open door policy to allow employees the opportunity to reach out to us with any questions or concerns they may have. We are glad to hear that we are succeeding in that aspect.

Great Company. Great Community.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 15, 2018
I joined the company last year. This is the best place to work for are a dog lover. It is a professional yet easy going work environment. The leadership is outstanding and they established a strong sense of community. All of us take part in providing an amazing experience for our customers with every puppy we place in a happy home. I am excited for the growth of the company.
March 7, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoy working here and appreciate the environment that our management team has helped cultivate. We are excited about what PuppySpot has become and will continue to grow into with the help of dedicated employees like yourself.

Great, fast paced working environment!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLFebruary 14, 2018
Working at PuppySpot for the last four years has been a fantastic experience so far. This company really likes to see their employees grow and provides them with all the possible tools to do so. With the right attitude, you can really benefit from working here, especially if you like the fast paced environment. The company has provided with health, dental, and vision benefits along with fun events like "yappy hours" and holiday parties. Our HR team is great and is there to provide us with support if we truly have an issue. Our CEO pays us visits and allows the time to host town hall meetings to directly address concerns or questions that any of us may have. I've worked in many different places and so far I find this hard to compare to anything else. If you like a fast paced, are an honest worker and like puppies, then this may be the place for you too.
March 7, 2018

PuppySpot takes pride in providing its employees with the opportunity to advance within the company. We are happy to see our employees develop and contribute to the betterment of the company as a whole. We are also happy to offer a generous benefits package as well as several events throughout the year. It is important that our employees feel rewarded and heard.

Great place to work and a philosophy to get behind.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLFebruary 14, 2018
Working at PuppySpot has been a great experience. I've been with the company just short of 4 years and have been given the opportunity to advance and grow. The company's leadership does recognize hard work and rewards it accordingly. The company's commitment to changing the face of pet retail by only working with worthwhile breeders and providing an industry leading guarantee for customers is a mission worth supporting. I've spent time working very closely with PuppySpot's breeders and more recently customers and it is a fast-paced, challenging, but ultimately rewarding experience.
March 7, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. PuppySpot definitely encourages and rewards hard work by providing the opportunity for employees to grow within the company. Not only do we encourage and expect the best from our employees, we expect the same from the breeders we work with. We will continue to do everything we can to ensure that PuppySpot’s mission of making lives better by placing healthy puppies into happy home is being fulfilled.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PuppySpot. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9