Qkids Employee Reviews

Solid Work from Home Option
Online ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Work from homeJanuary 17, 2019
I taught for Qkids for about 6 months. I started during the summer (busy season) and stayed on through the winter until I found a full time job. The hiring process was very long (3 weeks start to finish) but not difficult. It involved a demo video you record yourself, a few online classroom sessions with a trainer, and 2-5 trial classes with real students and trainer feedback.

I read that with many online teaching companies, it can be difficult getting "booked" for classes. I always received all of the classes I asked for with Qkids, and depending on how much I was able to work, made between $500-$1,000 a month part-time.

I was worried about being fired with little or no notice, because I sometimes had to cancel classes, and in the beginning I got a few negative parent reviews. Nothing ever came of these, though. In fact, when I apologized for a few poor classes and explained I'd taken on way too many hours, my trainer/company liason was very understanding and told me to take as much time off as I needed.

After a few months I got used to the classes and received nothing but positive parent reviews. When I had to cancel a class with advanced notice, or when something went wrong with my internet or the software, Qkids was very understanding. It was easy to take a week or even 2 weeks off to travel, no questions asked.

The lessons eventually got very repetitive and the hours are brutal, especially on the west coast during daylight savings time. Neither of these are the company's fault, though. My experience with Qkids was wholly positive. Communication from management
  more... was sometimes spotty, but honestly, they have 10,000+ teachers and a huge language barrier, so considering that they do pretty well.

If you're looking for a flexible work from home job that pays decently, Qkids is a great option.
Pros
Ridiculously flexible scheduling. Easy to get (unpaid) time off.
Cons
Brutal hours, repetitive lessons, lapses in communication at times
Cute kids, great company
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeJuly 21, 2018
I have been working with QKids for about a month now, and I absolutely love it! The kids are fantastic and love to learn, for the most part, and the parents are supportive. The company provides lots of training and support if you need it, and they go out of their way to assist you if you have a problem. They're extremely understanding of teacher absences. The general vibe is very positive and friendly, and I almost always get all of the hours I open up with them. They're also very responsive to feedback. Previous reviews mentioned the teacher rating system and losing their positions because of it. That rating system has since changed and become much more manageable, and if teachers are struggling they step in and assist with extra coaching.

I think the thing I enjoy the most about this company, aside from how well they take care of their teachers and how awesome the kids are, is the instructional materials are so well done. I have to do very little prep before teaching, because the games in the program make the lessons incredibly interactive. No props, no super-energetic-early-in-the-morning, happy-go-lucky peppiness - just teaching, pure and simple. I don't feel like I'm putting on a show, which means that I can be myself and focus on what matters most - that the kids learn the English they're paying to learn.

I would HIGHLY recommend working for QKids, especially if this is your first time applying for such a company. QKids is fantastic.
Pros
Work from home, set own hours, great kids, lots of support, pay is on time, almost always get your hours, easy-to-use curriculum
Cons
Very early morning, occasional tech issues (but they're quickly resolved), lack of opportunity for advancement, and lack of opportunity for increasing salary beyond bonuses.
I love QKids
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 14, 2018
I wouldn't change my job with QKids for anything! The pay is awesome, the students and staff are great! It's extremely flexible and as long as you cancel classes 24hrs in advance you get no penalty. Management is very understanding and the hours make it easy to also have another part time job or even a full time job. It is by far the best and most rewarding job I have had.
Pros
Good pay, weekly bonuses, referral compensation, flexible, great management
Cons
Slow seasons
Super fun work environment
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 24, 2018
A typical work day consists of me getting up at 3 AM heading downstairs to my office, turning on my computer and then turning on my smile. Each day is a fun surprise. You never know what students you'll have because the rotation is always changing. Usually if you are energetic and excited that will get the kids ready to learn, even the shy ones. The company really work with you during the application process and they give you everything you need. I am currently a student at university, and I could not have asked for a better job. I love what I do. I am a morning person so most of the time getting up early doesn't bother me. Even if I'm tired, once I see the smiles of my students I'm ready to get started.
Pros
flexible schedules, fun working environment, work from home
Cons
mornings (for some)
Did not enjoy my time with this company.
Teacher of English (Former Employee) –  OnlineNovember 19, 2018
Unsympathetic company. Did not allow for missed time of any kind, contrary to their hiring paperwork. Left the company because they would not allow for time off after my car accident.
Fun work-from-home job
Online Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 9, 2018
Each class is supposed to last 30 minutes, and can focus on a variety of vocabulary words and target sentences. You enter a classroom setting 5-3 minutes before, in order to get acquainted with students, and make sure equipment works. Students will most likely be different every class.

Management is great, and extremely understanding. There are coaches available to you whenever you have questions or issues, and time-off is easy to ask for.

You can make the most of it working from home, and not having to deal with terrible workplace environments.

The hardest part is time management. There are some classes that will be easy for students, and they will finish very quickly, so you may need to be creative to extend the lesson. There are other times when you can tell the lesson is too hard, and by trying to explain slowly, the time goes by too fast, and you may become late to the following class.

The best part of the job are the classes that are fun and enjoyable for everyone, and you get to see the smile on a child's face after you successfully teach them a new concept.
Pros
Work from home, Fun
Cons
No benefits, no tax documents
Great Company, but cannot live off pay or hours
ESL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAJanuary 22, 2019
The company is great for supplemental income, however their newest background check runs your credit. I find this off and unappealing. Hardest part was late night and earl mornings
Pros
Make your won schredule
Cons
short break in between classes
Very poor communication
Instructor (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 13, 2019
My job was repeatedly threatened after I was in a car accident that left me bed-ridden for nearly a month and a half even though I sent them every hospital and Dr's note I had.
Fun Job
Online Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 7, 2018
I enjoyed working with the students. The hours can be exhausting/inconvenient and the availability for scheduling work hours is very limited during the kids' regular school year.
Love this place
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  homeDecember 3, 2018
I am able to work from home as a parent of three kids. The pay is comparable to other jobs I can get that i would need to leave my house for. I am still working with the company. I love that I am able to teach via online to kids in China. The hardest part of working from home is that issues arise more frequent because your home. The most enjoyable part is once you open the lesson and see the kids eager to learn. I still work for them.
Pros
Work from home opportunity, great pay (with bonuses), etc
Cons
if the internet is down you can't work
Best place to work
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXOctober 12, 2018
They are the most accommodating company i've ever worked for. I love the company and I love my students. I'm having so much fun that it doesn't even feel like work. I definitely recommend working with this company.
Pros
work, pay, accomodating
Cons
early hours, not many night hours
Fun work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 8, 2018
I enjoy my work with Qkids because the support staff is flexible and easy to work with. With the time difference though and the fact they only go to age 12, the workday is very short. Summer is great though when the kids are on break. I get more hours then.
Pros
I get to work and not leave the house
Cons
short working hours
Satisfactory
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Home BasedNovember 2, 2018
It was exactly as they described. Straight forward, sometimes even fun, getting to interact with and teach children the language I love. It's great to see the range of intelligence. Sometimes you get the shy child who doesn't want to participate, so you spend your time trying to get them to laugh, and other times, they child already knows everything and so you spend your time poking fun at the curriculum.
Pros
Pay, Work From Home
Cons
Early Hours
QKids has the best proprietary software out there for ESL, and they are extremely flexible and professiona!
ESL Online Teacher (Current Employee) –  US Operations as well as ChineseOctober 30, 2018
The software is amazing. Everything is automated, and tech support is very responsive. The application allows you to fix sound and video problems easily, and has a one-click reward system that the kids love. My coach is Jason, and I get tailored feedback and training materials periodically.

I also was hired by SayABC, and worked for both companies simultaneously - but I did not stay with SayABC. They were not even close to being comparable to QKids in bookings, software, staff, etc.

I love this company so much, I would do this full-time.
Pros
Flexible and helpful staff, best software in the industry
Cons
Limited hours during offpeak seasons. There are two busy seasons, and during these you can get more hours - but its not full time.
Flexible and fun but poor communication from management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 11, 2018
The hours are a bit hard because they are super early
for Pacific time but they are flexible, go fast and its decent pay for that time. However, management appears to be friendly and wants to help but ultimately does not follow through with communication in the same manner.
I taught a couple classes. Management personally said they would review my trial classes and give me suggestions. However, I was sent a generic email that I was not hired after all but could reapply. I thanked both hiring managers personally for the opportunity and that I would still love to hear what I could work on and improve in the event that I'd reapply.
Neither responded back to me which was very unlike their friendly manner in the beginning. I felt it to be unprofessional especially since they had themselves said they would give me suggestions and also had been very helpful and friendly initially. It felt like a fake kindness.
Pros
Flexible hours good for schedule. Decent pay. Work from home.
Cons
Hours are extremely early. Unprofessional management communication skills. Passive aggressive
Awesome Opportunity
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  HomeSeptember 20, 2018
Highly reccommend working for QKids. They understand if you nee to call out, not to mention the pay was great! Making $20 an hour as a college student is hard to come by. The hours are extremely flexible and the managers are very nice.
Qkids Best Job I have Ever Had.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaAugust 21, 2018
Qkids is the best company I have ever worked for. I always get 20 dollars an hour. Very rare to not get your bonus. Company is amazing. They work with you if you need to miss a class or a day. The children are amazing. I work with 3 year old kids and up. The software is great and very easy to learn. The staff always gets back with you immediately to answer and questions you may have. Each class is 30 mins long. You have anywhere from 1 to four kids in each class. All the children already know some English and the younger children always have parents there to help, so you do not have to know a word of Chinese. Which is great because I don't LOL. That was my only worry. How would I be able to get the kids to understand what I what them to do if they don't know any English yet. The parents always help with the younger kids to help them understand what they are supposed to do. Most of the kids already know how to play the games and know they are supposed to repeat after Koby and Momo (Qkids characters), so cute. I make around 1,300 to 1,450 a month, but I choose to take all the hours they offer. Right now they are offering more classes in the evening on the weekdays because school is out in China for the summer. Once school is back in the classes in the evening will go back to Fri and Sat only. Which is their Sat and Sun mornings. If you love kids and Love to teach, this is the best job you could ever ask for and the money is great.
Pros
Money is great, kids, parents, staff is wonderful, software is great.
Cons
Only part time hours.
Fun & worth while
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  ChinaJuly 28, 2018
This job is perfect for the stay at home parent, part time worker, or for extra income! It is so much fun waking up everyday and seeing kids on the other side of the world eager and ready to learn!
Good Job
Online English Instructor (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 19, 2018
Working for them has been a super fun experience. I have learned a lot and have gotten nothing but joy from this position. The pay is also amazing and the staff is very understanding.
Qkids in one word.......AMAZING! :)
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 24, 2018
I look forward to waking up extra early to get to my computer for classes. I enjoy the kids and most of the parents. The support staff is just one click away and always kind and appreciative of teachers. The pay is GREAT for not having to leave home, put my kids in daycare and have a gas expense. I love it and am thankful for the opportunity!
Pros
support staff, management, kids, parents, pay, convenience of not leaving home and being finished working by the time my kids get up
Cons
I can't think of anything.......