Qkids
4.4

Qkids Employee Reviews for Teacher

Teacher32 reviews
United States32 reviews
great company to work for
Very flexible work schedule

treat tutors excellent

The company schedule all your classes for you which is great.

excellent support and they are very understanding if you need to cancel a class.
Just felt I needed to add the review that would have helped me when I was reading through these, especially since you will spend a lot of (unpaid) time preparing, learning and practicing(and money spent) for this job(in which you are an independent contractor- so they have no obligation to you). The staff is very friendly and the platform is fun. It's great that you don't have to use your own props. However, there is an unspoken competitive nature that if you don't know about, will mean that you possibly waste all of that time practicing lessons, getting through the mock trials and through the first week in which they give you hours. There will be parents sitting beside their children and judging(also sometimes filming you with their phones, hitting their kids upside the head when they don't answer correctly, sometimes speaking very loudly in the background and adding positive/negative "tags" for) you. There is a big emphasis on giving all of the students an equal amount of diamonds(and making sure you give away ALL the diamonds) and you need to be very familiar with the stickers and masks and doing all kinds of tricks and games with them. Having some kind of gimmicky thing with stuffed animals or extra "not necessary props" seems to be popular also. Those things are not emphasized by the staff and "not a big deal" from the fb support group. But from what I picked up, they are very important to ensure you retain bookings. Good luck!
Pros
platform
Cons
none if you get into this kind of thing
This has been a great way to earn money from home, and as a bonus it is a really enjoyable way to teach. The lessons are already prepared and scheduled for you. The majority of the students are a real joy to work with, and the Qkids staff is kind and helpful if you run into any issues. You can set your preferred schedule within the hours offered and make changes or take time off within reason without being penalized. Really the only downside is getting up at 4 or 5 a.m. (depending on the time of year and your time zone). Highly recommend!
Pros
Work in pj pants, have fun helping cute kids learn, no scheduling hassles-they do all the booking for you
Cons
Very early morning hours
I am Qkids teacher. I started 2 months ago. I love the little kids they are very friendly and well behave. The pay is good. You get paid $8 for every 30 min lesson. They have different bonus you can apply for. Last week I got $20 dollar bonus. Why did I apply for Qkids I am studying for a big test. I love little kids and I needed a motivation to wake up early. Qkids was perfect for me I work from home (no gas, no fancy clothing, no need to drive to work). PLUS the little kids are super cute, you have also some teenagers they are very respectful. I sharing with with my referral code I will be happy to assist you in the hiring process. Be unique be you!!!
Pros
you work from home and you choose how many hours you want to teach.
Cons
you have to wake up early- for me is good because it's motivating.
Really enjoyed my time here, great opportunity to make some extra cash, in a stable and enjoyable manner. You NEED to able to get up early. Overall would recommend.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
I've been working with Qkids for about 7 months now, and it's been great! If you work 7 days a week, for the 2 hours that are available each morning, you make around $1000-$1200 a month, which is pretty awesome. And during the summer there's a chance to earn even more because they open 5 classes each night, since the kids are on summer break.

A lot of people complain they don't give you very many hours, which is true at the start, since older teachers get priority, but once you've been there for a few months, you start getting more classes. Also, the amount of classes you get depends on the family's feedback the previous week. If, for example, you got 1 negative feedback, I've noticed they'll take away 1 class from your availability schedule for the next week. I understand the reason for this, but it can also be a bad thing if some parent didn't like you for whatever reason and decided to give you 5 bad marks, meaning you'd lose 5 slots for the next week. You just have to do your best, be cheerful, and make the kids feel comfortable with you and usually there's no problems.

The only downside would be that the classes are super early in the morning. Classes start at 6:30am during the spring/summer months, and fall back to 5:30am during the fall/winter months due to the time change. I live on the East Coast, so it's not a big problem for me, but for someone living on the West Coast, this means getting starting class at 3:30am each morning during the summer, and starting at 2:30am during the winter months.

Another thing is that Qkids recently updated their requirements.
 - more...
Pros
Great Pay, Easy Work, Flexible Hours
Cons
Early Morning Classes, Tougher Regulations
It's the best company to work for. It surpasses all ESL platforms on the market. You work on Bejing hours, easy to do before a day job. Happy to be working with Qkids!
I absolutely love this company!
Returning to the work field- QKIDS made my transition smooth.

I am learning, teaching and enjoy every minute of this.
Pros
Bonuses, able to take off more than regular jobs.
Cons
Qkids is a great company and I loved my time there. The platform is fun and user-friendly, they have many interactive tools that the kids love, and they are very responsive to questions and concerns. They are also very fair about handling parent complaints, platform issues, etc. and will always review a class before placing blame on you for anything. They really make teaching super easy.
The main thing that made them the company I preferred most was the fact that they have an extremely flexible cancellation policy! You can cancel up to 5 hours before (i think) without any penalty at all.

Unfortunately, you cannot work outside of the US or Canada for this job (the reason I had to quit). Furthermore, there are no additional benefits( other than pay) and it pays a tad bit low for requiring a Bachelors degree and an ESL/teaching certification ($16-20 an hour).

And, as with 90% of these kind of companies, there is not great job security (6 month contracts, and class assignment rates vary).

Overall though, I highly recommend this job for anyone looking to make some extra money on the side. The kids are great, and the company is very supportive of its teachers.
Pros
SUPER flexible, great platform, on-par pay with similar companies
Cons
no benefits, only can work in US or Canada, lack of security
Definitely not something to pay the bills, more fun money! Everyone is super friendly, easy messaging system, setup is user friendly. Students are super smart and excited.
Pros
Lesson plans for you
Cons
Technical difficulties
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Qkids?
Don't ever be late. Parents are 90% always next to their child, and their mainly the ones who grade your teaching abilities. If you want more shifts than what they offer, send a message to CCT. They gave me 40 classes in 5 days!
Pros
Choose your own hours, amount for pay
Cons
No management per say, they don't pay on exact date
It is a really great job to work. You can take off whenever you want to as long as you give them plenty of notice. You are off all holidays and can work more during the summer because the kids have off.
I have worked with Qkids for 10 months now. The kids are absolutely adorable and fun to teach. They brighten my mornings with their enthusiasm and smiles. I love that I can work in the early mornings before my son wakes up then spend the rest of my day with my son. The pay is great! I average $20 an hour. If you are energetic, consistent in attendance and schedule, and have a passion to teach kids you will get your availability filled with classes. I teach my regular 1v1 students, 1v4 classes, and phonics classes each week. I make about $900 averagely a month. The staff are very kind, understanding, and accommodating. I love Qkids!
Pros
Kids are adorable, pay is great, early hours, great staff, purposeful, everything
Cons
Early hours-you may get tired waking up early
Your students and families benefit from teachers who have: teaching experience, a TEFL, TESOL or CELTA, and a Masters or PhD. YOU benefit from it, as a selling feature. It helps motivate parents to choose your service. So don't stick those teachers on standby, and make sure their availability is fully booked. We can go anywhere, as I am sure you realize. I LOVE working at QKids but I have to not only utilize my experience, I am still paying for my education! You benefit from that education. Don't stick us on standby. We can go anywhere with those three qualifications.
Pros
Mentors, coaches, rating system, software!
Cons
standby (grrr) and low pay compared to other companies
The company is ok, however, depending on who you have as a coach will determine your success. The POV of your teaching ability is objective. They don't have a set rubric to score you off of. My first coach gave me all good reviews. She got promoted and I ended up with another coach. From that point on everything I did was wrong. I did the same things from before, nothing changed. They want you to jump through hoops to keep the parents happy. Needless to say, they ended my contract. In my opinion, the pay isn't worth the headache.
I started working for Qkids about 4 months ago and it hasn’t been what I thought it would be. Although the money is kinda great, I’m not getting enough hours!! At first I was getting my whole schedule filled (as expected), so I cut my availability to 3 classes a day instead of 4 because I was tired. As many have said, classes are really early in the morning. As the weeks go by I’m getting scheduled for fewer and fewer classes - I only have one next week!! I have a feeling my contract will likely not be renewed if I’m not getting a chance to teach at all. I do not like the teacher rating system, either. I’ll get 10 good things said, then 2 bad (about the same class!) and I don’t get a bonus and get an email about how to improve?? I’ve noticed if I don’t grade the children highly I get bad parent reviews, which is ridiculous. Also - it’s just plain exhausting being all peppy and smiley and “yay” cheerleader at 5:30am, and it seems like it’s never enough for the coaches. I feel like a clown not a teacher.
Pros
Money, bonuses
Cons
Early hours, short breaks, poor communication with coaches, inconsistent hours
I worked for QKids for about 6 months before I was notified my contract would not be extended. I was a bit surprised, I had taught ~250 classes and had 276 "Likes." When I asked for more feedback, they told me they had received numerous complaints from families, which doesn't make sense because I always received my performance bonus. I was a little bummed because I actually did enjoy QKids and feel like I was cast aside. My theory is that there are so many people applying, it's become diluted and the position has become devalued. I don't have a problem with being rated by families, but I don't think that should be the sole factor when evaluating a teacher. After all, at times it can be hard to be super energetic when it's 4:40AM. Also, be aware that it's culturally acceptable to physically abuse your child in China. I experienced children being hit by adults in classes numerous times. It made me uncomfortable, and when I raised my concerns to QKids they gave me lip service.
Pros
Decent pay, Enjoyed the students
Cons
Terrible hours, position not valued
QKids is a fun, rewarding job! The lessons require minimal prep work, are fun and easy to teach, and have cute characters that keep the students engaged. No teacher “putting on a show”. The lessons and games keep the students engaged, so that I can focus on teaching the content and not having a million props, reward systems and being over the top. That is not my teaching style, and even though I got hired by QKids and their b-i-g competitor, I choose to go with QKids and couldn’t be happier. They also book your classes for you, which I love. I give them my schedule and they fill it. If something comes up, no big deal. They have stand by teachers to fill in for you. (And don’t take money out of your pay because you got sick, your kids got sick and life happened). Everyone at QKids has been extremely nice and supportive! Highly recommend this company and plan on being with them for awhile!
Pros
Understanding, flexible hours, fun, engaging
Cons
Early morning hours can take a bit to get used to.
I reviewed their technical requirements before I applied. I have a Mac so I don’t apply for jobs that require Windows OS. I also have a laptop so don’t apply for things that require desktops. Etc. I don’t like wasting my time because of things like that so I’m thorough. Qkids mention they recommend a connected internet but no where on their site does it say required. My mbps was much higher than required so I applied. I was selected for a demo interview and spent several hours reviewing the material and making sure I knew how the system worked and could teach the games.

When it came time for my interview she asked if I had connected internet. I explained I did not and it was not possible for me to have it. I can’t be in a quiet place and connect to the box which is in the living room. I also have a MacBook that doesn’t have an Ethernet port and won’t pay the money to buy the connection cable when wireless internet works just as well. When I was honest about my system she suddenly said “oh well you’ve already frozen a few times so it’s not a good connection” Everything was fine on my end and she said “that’s because I have wired internet” She refused to continue my interview even though everything tech wise was working great. I explained that according to the website connected internet is not a requirement and that I had higher than the required speed. She acted as if that wasn’t what the website said and I was wrong.

I know they had a big hiring advertisement so it’s possible they already brought too many people on. If that’s the case then say it. If my internet is really
 - more...
Pros
I’ve heard if you’re hired and have absolutely no problems it can be a good gig
Cons
Not honest about their recruitment and technical requirements
I already have a job where I work from home and I need something for a little extra money. I teach anywhere from 2 to 5 classes a day and I am able to make around $600 to $800 extra a month. It is fun teaching the kids and the company is great. I don't know what really goes into the hiring process because I have not successfully gotten any referrals hired. They are all similar to me BA, MS and TESOL with teaching experience and teach their own children as well. Other than that frustration, I know that I consistently will have classes every week. I have worked for the company for nearly 6 months and I am coming up on my contract renewal in a few weeks. It's a great company and in comparison to it's competitors there is little to no drama. The FB group, "House of Qkids" is a great resources but there are people to be wary off. I personally had to block a few of them because of Drama. It is a corporate run page but some of the teachers are characters.
I enjoy my work with Qkids because the support staff is flexible and easy to work with. With the time difference though and the fact they only go to age 12, the workday is very short. Summer is great though when the kids are on break. I get more hours then.
Pros
I get to work and not leave the house
Cons
short working hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qkids. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4
4.6
4.3
Career recommendations for Teacher
Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more