Qkids Employee Reviews for Teacher

No standby for teachers who exceed the basic and desired requirements
Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 3, 2019
Your students and families benefit from teachers who have: teaching experience, a TEFL, TESOL or CELTA, and a Masters or PhD. YOU benefit from it, as a selling feature. It helps motivate parents to choose your service. So don't stick those teachers on standby, and make sure their availability is fully booked. We can go anywhere, as I am sure you realize. I LOVE working at QKids but I have to not only utilize my experience, I am still paying for my education! You benefit from that education. Don't stick us on standby. We can go anywhere with those three qualifications.
Pros
Mentors, coaches, rating system, software!
Cons
standby (grrr) and low pay compared to other companies
Not worth the pay and headache
Online Teacher (Former Employee) –  OnlineApril 24, 2019
The company is ok, however, depending on who you have as a coach will determine your success. The POV of your teaching ability is objective. They don't have a set rubric to score you off of. My first coach gave me all good reviews. She got promoted and I ended up with another coach. From that point on everything I did was wrong. I did the same things from before, nothing changed. They want you to jump through hoops to keep the parents happy. Needless to say, they ended my contract. In my opinion, the pay isn't worth the headache.
Money is great but everything else...
Teacher (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 24, 2019
I started working for Qkids about 4 months ago and it hasn’t been what I thought it would be. Although the money is kinda great, I’m not getting enough hours!! At first I was getting my whole schedule filled (as expected), so I cut my availability to 3 classes a day instead of 4 because I was tired. As many have said, classes are really early in the morning. As the weeks go by I’m getting scheduled for fewer and fewer classes - I only have one next week!! I have a feeling my contract will likely not be renewed if I’m not getting a chance to teach at all. I do not like the teacher rating system, either. I’ll get 10 good things said, then 2 bad (about the same class!) and I don’t get a bonus and get an email about how to improve?? I’ve noticed if I don’t grade the children highly I get bad parent reviews, which is ridiculous. Also - it’s just plain exhausting being all peppy and smiley and “yay” cheerleader at 5:30am, and it seems like it’s never enough for the coaches. I feel like a clown not a teacher.
Pros
Money, bonuses
Cons
Early hours, short breaks, poor communication with coaches, inconsistent hours
Teachers aren't valued
Teacher (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 15, 2019
I worked for QKids for about 6 months before I was notified my contract would not be extended. I was a bit surprised, I had taught ~250 classes and had 276 "Likes." When I asked for more feedback, they told me they had received numerous complaints from families, which doesn't make sense because I always received my performance bonus. I was a little bummed because I actually did enjoy QKids and feel like I was cast aside. My theory is that there are so many people applying, it's become diluted and the position has become devalued. I don't have a problem with being rated by families, but I don't think that should be the sole factor when evaluating a teacher. After all, at times it can be hard to be super energetic when it's 4:40AM. Also, be aware that it's culturally acceptable to physically abuse your child in China. I experienced children being hit by adults in classes numerous times. It made me uncomfortable, and when I raised my concerns to QKids they gave me lip service.
Pros
Decent pay, Enjoyed the students
Cons
Terrible hours, position not valued
Fun, Rewarding part time job!
Independent Contractor/ teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2019
QKids is a fun, rewarding job! The lessons require minimal prep work, are fun and easy to teach, and have cute characters that keep the students engaged. No teacher “putting on a show”. The lessons and games keep the students engaged, so that I can focus on teaching the content and not having a million props, reward systems and being over the top. That is not my teaching style, and even though I got hired by QKids and their b-i-g competitor, I choose to go with QKids and couldn’t be happier. They also book your classes for you, which I love. I give them my schedule and they fill it. If something comes up, no big deal. They have stand by teachers to fill in for you. (And don’t take money out of your pay because you got sick, your kids got sick and life happened). Everyone at QKids has been extremely nice and supportive! Highly recommend this company and plan on being with them for awhile!
Pros
Understanding, flexible hours, fun, engaging
Cons
Early morning hours can take a bit to get used to.
They have poor hiring practices and lie about it
Teacher (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 22, 2019
I reviewed their technical requirements before I applied. I have a Mac so I don’t apply for jobs that require Windows OS. I also have a laptop so don’t apply for things that require desktops. Etc. I don’t like wasting my time because of things like that so I’m thorough. Qkids mention they recommend a connected internet but no where on their site does it say required. My mbps was much higher than required so I applied. I was selected for a demo interview and spent several hours reviewing the material and making sure I knew how the system worked and could teach the games.

When it came time for my interview she asked if I had connected internet. I explained I did not and it was not possible for me to have it. I can’t be in a quiet place and connect to the box which is in the living room. I also have a MacBook that doesn’t have an Ethernet port and won’t pay the money to buy the connection cable when wireless internet works just as well. When I was honest about my system she suddenly said “oh well you’ve already frozen a few times so it’s not a good connection” Everything was fine on my end and she said “that’s because I have wired internet” She refused to continue my interview even though everything tech wise was working great. I explained that according to the website connected internet is not a requirement and that I had higher than the required speed. She acted as if that wasn’t what the website said and I was wrong.

I know they had a big hiring advertisement so it’s possible they already brought too many people on. If that’s the case then say it. If my internet is really
  more... not enough then change your website and say you require a wired connection with a higher internet speed. I share this not because I’m bitter about not getting a job but because I wasted my time and was treated poorly by their staff. Others shouldn’t have to go through the same. Make sure you have way more than they require if you’re applying.  less
Pros
I’ve heard if you’re hired and have absolutely no problems it can be a good gig
Cons
Not honest about their recruitment and technical requirements
Easy at home money
Teacher (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 10, 2019
I already have a job where I work from home and I need something for a little extra money. I teach anywhere from 2 to 5 classes a day and I am able to make around $600 to $800 extra a month. It is fun teaching the kids and the company is great. I don't know what really goes into the hiring process because I have not successfully gotten any referrals hired. They are all similar to me BA, MS and TESOL with teaching experience and teach their own children as well. Other than that frustration, I know that I consistently will have classes every week. I have worked for the company for nearly 6 months and I am coming up on my contract renewal in a few weeks. It's a great company and in comparison to it's competitors there is little to no drama. The FB group, "House of Qkids" is a great resources but there are people to be wary off. I personally had to block a few of them because of Drama. It is a corporate run page but some of the teachers are characters.
Fun work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 8, 2018
I enjoy my work with Qkids because the support staff is flexible and easy to work with. With the time difference though and the fact they only go to age 12, the workday is very short. Summer is great though when the kids are on break. I get more hours then.
Pros
I get to work and not leave the house
Cons
short working hours
Fun Job
Online Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 7, 2018
I enjoyed working with the students. The hours can be exhausting/inconvenient and the availability for scheduling work hours is very limited during the kids' regular school year.
Qkids Best Job I have Ever Had.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaAugust 21, 2018
Qkids is the best company I have ever worked for. I always get 20 dollars an hour. Very rare to not get your bonus. Company is amazing. They work with you if you need to miss a class or a day. The children are amazing. I work with 3 year old kids and up. The software is great and very easy to learn. The staff always gets back with you immediately to answer and questions you may have. Each class is 30 mins long. You have anywhere from 1 to four kids in each class. All the children already know some English and the younger children always have parents there to help, so you do not have to know a word of Chinese. Which is great because I don't LOL. That was my only worry. How would I be able to get the kids to understand what I what them to do if they don't know any English yet. The parents always help with the younger kids to help them understand what they are supposed to do. Most of the kids already know how to play the games and know they are supposed to repeat after Koby and Momo (Qkids characters), so cute. I make around 1,300 to 1,450 a month, but I choose to take all the hours they offer. Right now they are offering more classes in the evening on the weekdays because school is out in China for the summer. Once school is back in the classes in the evening will go back to Fri and Sat only. Which is their Sat and Sun mornings. If you love kids and Love to teach, this is the best job you could ever ask for and the money is great.
Pros
Money is great, kids, parents, staff is wonderful, software is great.
Cons
Only part time hours.
Flexible and fun but poor communication from management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 11, 2018
The hours are a bit hard because they are super early
for Pacific time but they are flexible, go fast and its decent pay for that time. However, management appears to be friendly and wants to help but ultimately does not follow through with communication in the same manner.
I taught a couple classes. Management personally said they would review my trial classes and give me suggestions. However, I was sent a generic email that I was not hired after all but could reapply. I thanked both hiring managers personally for the opportunity and that I would still love to hear what I could work on and improve in the event that I'd reapply.
Neither responded back to me which was very unlike their friendly manner in the beginning. I felt it to be unprofessional especially since they had themselves said they would give me suggestions and also had been very helpful and friendly initially. It felt like a fake kindness.
Pros
Flexible hours good for schedule. Decent pay. Work from home.
Cons
Hours are extremely early. Unprofessional management communication skills. Passive aggressive
Fun work-from-home job
Online Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 9, 2018
Each class is supposed to last 30 minutes, and can focus on a variety of vocabulary words and target sentences. You enter a classroom setting 5-3 minutes before, in order to get acquainted with students, and make sure equipment works. Students will most likely be different every class.

Management is great, and extremely understanding. There are coaches available to you whenever you have questions or issues, and time-off is easy to ask for.

You can make the most of it working from home, and not having to deal with terrible workplace environments.

The hardest part is time management. There are some classes that will be easy for students, and they will finish very quickly, so you may need to be creative to extend the lesson. There are other times when you can tell the lesson is too hard, and by trying to explain slowly, the time goes by too fast, and you may become late to the following class.

The best part of the job are the classes that are fun and enjoyable for everyone, and you get to see the smile on a child's face after you successfully teach them a new concept.
Pros
Work from home, Fun
Cons
No benefits, no tax documents
Work from home have time for everything else
Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineMarch 13, 2018
So you will be working in the morning probably waking up at 5 am and finishing at around 9 am then you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want: school, church, more work,
Qkids - the best online teaching company!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  work from homeMarch 9, 2018
I have researched several online teaching platforms, and was offered jobs at most of the ones I applied to. QKIDS is by far the best experience I have had. The training was thorough, the hours are flexible yet reliable, the management is easily accessible and very responsive. And of course the kids are adorable, and the job is so very rewarding!
Pros
Convenient hours, steady income, rewarding
Cons
Currently Employed and Love it!!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 6, 2018
So I have been working for Qkids about a month now and I absolutely love it. At first I was a little worried about having to wake up at 4 in the morning to teach due to the 13 hr time difference, but I am used to it now and it is so worth it to see those sweet students smiling faces in the morning. I love so many things about this job. For starters, its flexible hours which is great for a stay at home mom like me. The pay is great! The staff is probably the most friendly staff I have ever worked for. They are very compassionate and supportive. Always there to help or answer questions no matter what time it is. Its very rewarding to see the children learn and excel throughout the class time. They are very smart children. I couldn't believe it when I had a 3 yr old in my class reading English sentences. I highly recommend this job if you love making a difference in a child's life and interested in something flexible and part time to accommodate your life schedule. But if you are not an early morning person this may be hard because you need to be energetic and make the learning environment for the children fun and exciting.
Pros
Flexible schedule and great pay
Best Part time job ever!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  FloridaDecember 28, 2017
I’ve been working here for six months. The students are great. The trainers and management are great! The lessons are very interactive and fun to teach. I can tell the students have a great time learning. I wouldn’t change anything but having getting up so early and the pay. With my teaching experience I would like to get paid a little more, but hey, I’m ok with this for now. It’s definitely helped pay for extras. You get paid once a month and they base your pay off of your performance. Do well, you get paid more. I work M-F for 2 hours a day because I chose to. It’s the perfect part time job!
Pros
Easy
Cons
Early Hours
Great part-time, fun environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2017
I've been working for Funbulous for a little over a month and absolutely love it! I have a passion for teaching and this company provides me with the opportunity to do it from the comfort of my house. Kids are wonderful, waking up every morning and seeing those little faces on my computer screen makes me smile. The software allows you to control volume, who speaks and who doesn't, which makes the classroom management pretty easy. You have to be high energy though, because it's night in China and kids are tired after a long day (however, some of them are still jumping in front of the screen lol). The payment is fair, the only downside is that there are no benefits at all, and when you don't teach, you don't get paid. On the other hand, you have the flexibility of making your own schedule, which is great! You have to be willing to wake up pretty early. I start class at 6:40am and have to wake up before 6 to prepare classes - unfortunately classes are posted only a few hours before, which means like 1 or 2am EST.
It's a great part-time job for some extra income!
Pros
Flexibility, pay, fun work environment
Cons
Time zone
Ok for pocket cash and resume.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Home BasedAugust 7, 2017
Easy to apply for, but, when it comes to the pre demo interview, pray everything on your side works without a hiccup. Any mistakes or technical problems will disqualify you. They get hundreds of applicants weekly and have no need to deal with anything. Your mic don't work, your gone, computer problems, your gone. So, their is ZERO job security. Their are also absolutely no benefits. So if your thinking of making this into a full time money maker from home, you should seriously consider applying at different companies and working at all of them. Again, no benefits and no job security means at any moment you can be let go for any reason. If you get low ratings from the kids or parents your are also fired. You can expect to make any where from $200 to $800 a month. Depending how lucky you are and the number of bookings you get. The hours of work are 6:40 am through 10:40 am eastern time Monday-Friday and 9:00 pm through 11:00 pm Friday and Saturday. All eastern time based. It's very cut throat!!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No job security, no benefits, uncertain income, payed once a month
A Great Part Time Job with Great Pay!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New JerseyMay 30, 2017
I have been working for this company for just about 2 months now. I love that the curriculum is laid out for me and there is not much I need to do to prepare. The management is very friendly and I feel that they really care about me. Their communication is also good. The students are adorable and fun and I just love teaching! I truly appreciate the flexibility as well. Having 2 children, you never know what life may bring, and with JQ, there is flexibility...always. With the bonuses available, I feel I'm making really good money. I wish there wasn't such a time difference so that I could work more hours. I foresee working here for a long time and would highly recommend!
Pros
flexible schedule, easy lessons, good pay
Cons
regular software and sound issues
Poor management , poor communication
Teacher (Former Employee) –  HomeSeptember 28, 2016
When working for this company , I was open to feedback about my performance . I implemented suggested feedback, the next week I was not informed that I would not be teaching. I had to approach management to figure out what was going on and had to wait a few days for an answer. When I questioned the reasons behind their decision I was met with rudeness and attitude
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Poor pay, poor management