Qualcomm Employee Reviews

Found 1,056 reviews matching the search See all 1,268 reviews
Its very stable
Senior Engineer | Tech Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2019
Not the best time to join Qualcomm, but its relatively a stable company with job security...

Someone who likes embedded space, or modem technologies like 5g, its a good place to be.
Great people, iffy business prospects
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 20, 2019
High consistency of high quality coworkers & people.
But cellphone business has plateaued & it is a difficult transition to navigate. I think C-level painted themselves into a corner, which forced them to use short-term tactics that prohibited long-term strategy.
IT disruption from legacy Operations towards DevOps
IT Engineer, Sr (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2019
Extremely challenging workplace: with the compression of reducing both IT capital and operational expenses, the pressure was always on to find new ways to complete tasks and job requirements.

While there, I was fortunate to be part of the paradigm shift from a traditional, legacy Operations team, to one that embraced DevOps tenants. Nothing about it was easy, and the disruption was extremely difficult--but necessary--and required both tough discussions, tough decisions, and reorganizations of staff. But order of magnitude better, reduction of MTTR from hours to minutes, and creating telemetry between monitoring, data lakes and our CRM tools was invaluable experience that aligned with the company's requirements for greater efficiency.

It was a rewarding experience, and the pressure was always on to do things better than the day before.
Best Experience
MANAGER/SENIOR MANAGER, ENGINEERING OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 14, 2019
Qualcomm was the best experience ever had. As a previous Fortune 500 company, I learned many aspects of working for a large organization. My role exposed me to C-Level executives as well as on hands employees. This has lead me to truly understand what it takes to drive a business forward. I strongly believe that my 18 years of experience at Qualcomm has help me be successful in my wife's businesses.
Test/Assembly Operator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 13, 2019
Great company to work for. Would recommend it to most people who are able to work in a fast pace environment. Never had a bad day there, everyone was very helpful in learning the job and tasks.
Pros
Great.
Cons
Great.
Staff Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 11, 2019
Great place to work. You were valued; your skills were enhanced; the group was capable and friendly. Immediate manager was driven and highly intelligent.
Negative company culture shift within the last year.
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2019
Qualcomm (engineering in San Diego) used to pride itself on being a great place to work - a good work/life balance, lots of team-building activities, social meet-and-greet functions, etc. Now, it is management-by-metrics and all of the esprit d' corps that was commonplace is gone.
Part of the reason is that management of personnel and equipment from San Diego has moved to Singapore. Supervision in SD is in title only. In SD, management decisions are "recommended" but approval is from Singapore.
Whereas, previously there was a human connection between upper management and the employees, most of the engineering work force has never met those in charge of their career. But this is indicative of the new Qualcomm "Asian business model."
When Jana Partners took control of the Board of Directors, their first recommendation was to slash the operations budget by $1 Billion. Qualcomm's approach was to slash personnel - and THEN look at equipment/operating cost - to the determent of 6.600+ jobs. Congrats!
Pros
You have a job in cutting-edge engineering in SD.
Cons
You have a job in cutting-edge engineering based in Asia.
Qualcomm has a high-stress environment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2019
Lots of departures and brain-drain of highly talented engineers of late. Company does very little to stem it or reduce the ever-increasing workload on employees and benefits are getting fewer by the day.
BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST STAFF (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Enjoyed working for Qualcomm. They encouraged me to think outside the box and use my skills to improve automation, which saved the company millions. They provided all the tools I requested to be proficient in my job.
Pros
Best benefits
Cons
Went from having my own office to having to share when I was transferred to another divison.
Great company, great product
Senior Manager, IT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2019
They had difficult time due to Apple, NXP, Broadcom and foreign litigations.

Company had to layoff multiple times last year to meet its financial objectives
Overall a good company to work for
Test Engineering Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2019
The products are leading edge technology and therefore challenging. Working on large development teams can be rewarding and frustrating at the same time. Management works with the individual contributors to help with technical development. They focus on team interfacing and project tracking.

There are good work and personal life activities. There are volunteer projects opportunities throughout the year.
Pros
Free breakfast on Friday
Cons
Only hiring college graduates for technical positions
Productive and enjoyable atmosphere
Staff Mask Layout Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2019
A typical day at Qualcomm would be receiving layout tasks from engineers with a schematic that is given to us. We would floorplan, P/G routing, signal routing and run physical verification such as DRC or LVS. As mask layout designers or analog mixed signal layout designers we would work collaboratively to achieve our goal in completing the sub layout or the IP block level.

As responsible mask layout designers, we learned from one another about the difficult challenges. For example, if there was an issue with our IP block at the chip-level; such as "via underneath" the bump issue. This kind of issue we could not see at the IP block level. So, we as a team decided to communicate with the chip-level engineers to find the correct area where the "via underneath" the bump density issue is detected. Then we inserted more vias to correct this issue.

We learned a lot by working collaboratively and by communicating. Also, constructive critisizm and working culture of contributing the success of Qualcomm.

The hardest part of the job is to meet time constraint deadlines that almost seemed unrealistic. Based on my experience, these schedules felt too rushed without any real research in the layout process tasks or developement.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people who I work with and formed friendships with.
Pros
People, communications, gym, perks
Cons
Unrealistic schedules or sometimes difficult coworkers
Uncertain Future
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2019
Time to move on to another job outside of Qualcomm. The past several years have been tough seeing all the changes and friends moving on to other positions.
Not a good one
Senior Program Manager- QCT Program Management (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 3, 2019
Constant fear of layoff. Arrogant Director and above titles. Retaliation, favoritism, nepotism. Age discrimination and unfair employment and business practices.
Pros
Friends and great Engineers
Cons
Horrible management
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Software Development Engineer in Test (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2019
My day at work starts with standup meetings where we discuss the work accomplished yesterday what needs to be done today and impediments in achieving them. Work will be assigned through JIRA tickets and measured through the velocity reports by the end of every sprint.
no longer a fun place. just another corporate meat grinder
Sr. Staff Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2019
no advancement opportunities unless you're indian. work and be accountable all day. meetings in the evening and mornings.
no fun. benefits are being taken away
Pros
good pay
Cons
culture and management are lacking
Review
Oracle EBS,Cloud Integrations,Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2019
Its great company to work with good team culture and healthy environment to work.With great opportunities to grow in your career, With great pay and benefits.
A company with lots of knowhow in mobile technology
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2019
QC is a good company in general. A lot of policies were designed to keep the company a pleasant place to work for. The facilities are good, there are multiple excellent onsite gyms, and the benefit is good even though it has been reduces gradually. The operational environment is getting worse and the revenue is declining due to litigations and disputes over the business model of the company with OEM manufacturers. QC is trying to save cash by cutting the workforce and lots of good people were let go over the last couple of years, which led to instability and low moral in the company. There is a problem with the company hierarchy, where there are too many layer of managers, but not enough people to do the work. Hopefully the management realizes the issue and take actions to turn things around, and put the company back on track.
A great company went downhill
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 23, 2019
When I started, Qualcomm was one of the top 10 places to work in the country. Now, it doesn't even make the list. Benefits have been eroded over the years. Even in 2008, the company was being run like a startup, now it is being run by activist share-holders who are unable to see past the next 3-month financial report.
Cons
Vacation time is not tracked, high-deductible health plan, Bad C-level management
Good bonuses. Top notch design tools and supports.
IP Analog Staff Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2019
Job outsourcing bankrupts work ethics. Too much time wasted in taking care of issued tickets blindly assigned to your name by those who hired oversea not yet know what to do and try to ask around for contact, direction, technical knowhow, design flow, etc.
Pros
Great bonuses
Cons
Many people taking advantage of the situation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qualcomm. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Qualcomm.

Powered by Comparably