Qualcomm Employee Reviews

Found 1,019 reviews matching the search See all 1,221 reviews
Local management is what makes the difference
Staff Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 10, 2018
I spent 14 years at Qualcomm, progressing from Engineer to Senior Engineer, to Staff Engineer. My role changed many times as we moved from project to project supporting the changing nature of the business.

The company is driven by its focus on radio technology. The expertise that grows on the peripheries of that core are sometimes allowed to spill into focus, but in the end everything will tend back towards the radio heart.

They hire good people, and compensation is average. The review process has been generally fair and not onerous, but also has been evolving rapidly the past few years. Reductions In Force have become commonplace and generally sentiment among the employees has become more short-term focused as a result.

Local management can make a big difference. The leadership team that was in Boulder for much of my term jumped in to preserve their office several times as large-scale projects went under unexpectedly. That loyalty was sometimes mistaken as a company-wide attribute, when in fact its nature was far more localized.
Pros
Great technology
Cons
Environment is not as supportive as you might expect
Good overall environment
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CADecember 9, 2018
Fun place to work, lots of different buildings to explore. They spend a lot of time investing in employees - they have gyms in several buildings and cafeterias for convenience.
My Dream Job was with Qualcomm
STAFF SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2018
It was a great place to work for. Enjoyed my tenure there. Lot of scope for career advancement and very good compensation for the hard work people put in. Work Life balance is not good.
Bad group
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2018
The group I'm in is very disorganized and separated. All of the different projects are separated out into their own source control (Git, TFS, P4). I worked almost entirely by myself the entire time I was there. There was almost literally nobody to go to with questions. Things are constantly done the wrong way which results in things not working, entire solutions not compiling, simple tasks taking too long, etc. No planning is done whatsoever. I suggested to my boss that we should plan out what will be done and their response was "We can't change it, this is how it is".

Upper management doesn't have any idea how to treat employees. Employee morale is an afterthought. Qualcomm laid off over 2000 people this year alone. They also announced a giant expansion to an office in India which means there will most likely be MORE LAYOFFS in the U.S. to hire cheaper labor in India. Upper management won't admit this, they laugh it off.
Pros
compensation, flexible hours
Cons
job security, upper management, work-life balance
Ok Job
Application Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 6, 2018
Not a fun employee culture.
Get your job done and get out kind of vibe.
Always a lot of work as telecommunication cycle is very short compared to other fields
Aiming to a mature IT Organization
DevOps Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2018
A large number of opportunities available! There are still challenges with promoting and adopting new ideas from a culture perspective. There is hesitation for taking risks, especially with unfamiliar tech.
Staff Manager Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2018
Qualcomm was a great place to work, and I would work there again any day! There were ample career development opportunities and great work-life balance.
Large Company
SENIOR ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 27, 2018
Your experience will vary greatly based on your team
My first team was awesome with an amazing lead
My second team was terrible with minimal organization
My third team was good but division growth was cut throat and extremely difficult
Too difficult to advance
Information Technology Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 27, 2018
Advancement very difficult. Doesn't matter how hard you work, it's subjective within your manager. Always concerned in the back of your mind when the company will re-structure and start lay offs. Went thru 4 in my 5 years at Qualcomm that I lasted thru, got hit on the 5th one.
Pros
QKids
Cons
Constant layoffs
This was a telework position for me.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Burns, TNNovember 21, 2018
I really enjoyed working from home. I was pleasantly surprised at how I transitioned to a telecommuting position. I reported to a Manager that I had had in a previous position. She recruited me to Qualcomm after having worked with her in a previous position.
Pros
My manager
Cons
Long sales cycle
a big company -- lots of parallel efforts
Interim Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CANovember 21, 2018
I like the company overall, but given its an stablished hardware company, it does not the flexibilities that younger software companies have. Also seems like they had a lot of money and mismanagement made many parallel efforts.
Pros
I like the work office
Cons
mismanagement
Fun place to work
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 19, 2018
It was fun to be a contract employee at Qualcomm MEMS Technologies. A typical day of work consisted of me preparing samples to be imaged and then imaging the samples. The management was good. It was fun to be a contract employee at Qualcomm MEMS Technologies. The people there were smart and driven. The hardest part of the job was completing cross section sample preparation on small samples. The most enjoyable part of my job there was imaging samples.
good place to work on the Customs department
CUSTOMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 19, 2018
Working in Qualcomm was a great experience, high qualified employees and great collaborative teams.
Once you work there will open you a lot of new doors of opportunities in your work industry.
Pros
great balance life/work
competitive environment
System Analyst (Current Employee) –  TaiwanNovember 16, 2018
a typical day at work.
there is a specific mentor to guide you.
there are a lot of training and material that you can learn a lot and learn from professional people here.
Pros
learn high tech tool
Enjoy the ability to create
Quality Technician III (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 14, 2018
Great environment for creating new procedures and advancing. Even though you may work in one team, there is always the ability to work with other teams to learn what they do and find interest.
Extreme high pressure advanced technology environment
Director of Engineering (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2018
Lot to learn, fast paced working environment. Very smart engineers. Lack of good leadership. Very low work life balance. Too much legal trouble on licensing front.
Productive workplace
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2018
Opportunities for growth, learning, career development, specially for Electrical/Hardware Engineers. Has competitive compensation, benefits, comparable to any top tier companies(semi conductor chip).
Cool technology, but it's a grind
Staff SQA Lead (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 8, 2018
Ample opportunity to work on interesting technologies.

Work/life balance is typical for Silicon Valley (i.e., not so much)

Business & technologies are strong.

'Activist investors' & hostile takeover artists (e.g., AVGO) are a major distraction & distort the course management charts.
Gret place
Interim Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 7, 2018
good location great place to work. good food and casual southern california culture as you would expect from a company in this location. Exciting and fun work
Good company phasing difficult times
Director Business Operations (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 30, 2018
Company trying to find new direction and business model, many internal changes creating confusion and new heads coming with new ideas; there are still many long timers that do not adjust to new times
Pros
Used to be a good culture
Cons
Technology changing very quickly and company not adapting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qualcomm. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

1.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight