Queens Community House Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Relaxed working environment
Nursing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYMay 22, 2018
Easy going family-like atmosphere. A typical day at work was mostly spent on the phone and doing paperwork. I did many home visits which were easy because all the residents lived in the same block.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
poor or no benefits
Gained good experience
College Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 7, 2018
Working at QCH gave me an opportunity to gain great experience to work with young people in education at both the high school and college levels. I was a great space to learn how to assist young adults to prepare for their futures.
Pros
Training
Cons
Pay
Very professional
TRANSPORTATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  FORESTHILL NYMarch 30, 2018
Queens community house was a wonderful place to work, it was very family oriented, its a place in which you look forward to coming into work on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Commute
what i learned
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 8, 2018
What i learned at this job is to never be too friendly. There is way to much competition at this work place. The manager/director worked very well with me, and was very understanding of my personal situation at that present time.
Camp Counselor
Group Leader/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYJanuary 20, 2018
A wonderful summer experience working with other counselors and kids. engaged in many fun activities. and had a fun time with the funny kids. would definitely go back if i lived near there again.
Pros
everything
Cons
occasional bratty kid
Great work environment and people, but the pay rate is not up to par with other non profits.
SONYC Site Director (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 2, 2018
I love QCH, but they don’t pay particularly well. Management isn’t as consistent as I would like. I’ve been there over a year and I am about to be on my 4th supervisor. However, every manager I’ve had in this time frame were supportive and advocated for me and my program to upper management!
Pros
Great colleagues.
Cons
Pay isn’t great.
Good company bad pay
Transportation (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYDecember 28, 2017
Very low paying job . I was offered 13.00 which was advertised on indeed and they started me with 11.50 . I was also promised to be put on full time but they took so long i ended up getting a second job . Pretty much there’s no room for advancement.
Pros
Driving experience and you learn Your way around more
Cons
Very low pay for a driving position
An amazing job
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 18, 2017
I loved it. Daily, I would learn things from my students and my coworkers. It's a very diverse group of intelligent people all working to help one another. I've met wonderful people and i truly enjoyed my experience.
Pros
free lunch, fun time, paid trips
Productive and fun workplace
Group Assistant/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 13, 2017
My day at work is fun and has many activities during the time i spend there. I learned how to be a leader and set the example for the children that i worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the Staff and kids.
Pros
Free lunch
Productive and Expansive
Youth Instructor (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYAugust 16, 2017
The Queens Community House provided me with multiple career paths and work experiences. Duties ranged from office and clerical work to managing and overseeing other staff members. This job taught me how to communicate with people of all ages and backgrounds as well as effective problem solving with conflict amongst youth and other individuals hired for the summer.
Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 14, 2017
My supervisor taught me everything i need to know. I assist him in my former high school that i used to attend. You would do Alot of paper work and computer work.
Best Summer job ever
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYAugust 11, 2017
Great staff. From upper management to staff. Everyone worked well with one another. Coworkers became friends with each other. No egos just fun. The kids were absolutely incredible. Respectful and fun to be around.
Educational and empowering
LTW Intern/Co-facilitator (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYAugust 2, 2017
It was an amazing internship. We focused on activism and self-care. The activities done at this job helped me become a better person. At times it was emotional when talking about hardships and at times laughed at each other. Overall one of the best internships.
Work was interesting
Forest Hills - Intern (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYJuly 20, 2017
Working here was very interesting. A lot of Russians lived in the area and hearing their language amazed me in this office job. I learned very few words but I still enjoyed myself as I filed and sorted their confidential files.
Dcent Summer Job
Counselor/Program Aid (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 13, 2017
I worked particularly in Pomonok, Queens which isn't such a great area to hang about after certain hours. Many of the children attending the summer camp have serious behavioral issues. Heavy supervision is crucial.
Wishing to do it again
SYEP (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 24, 2017
QCH was a really great experience , all of my co-workers were very fun to work with . It was the best summer I've ever had. I would love to do it again this summer.
A typical Day at work
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 22, 2017
A typical day at work involves being greeted by the participants upon their arrival to the after school program. I would hand out and tally the snacks then take attendance. The participants get into their respective line spots and we head to the classroom where they get to complete their homework then afterwards i start the activity for the day.Hardest part of the job is knowing not all participants are the same and you will find ones that will challenge your authority. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to have fun with the participants and enjoy the interactive environment.
Pros
Paid trainings and meetings, Nice staff and environment
Cons
Short Breaks
Cool place to interact with kids and learn new skills
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 22, 2017
I loved my experience their. The kids are a handful as usual but co workers are nice to be around. Not much oppurtunity for advancement but overall solid place to work in the summer.
kids are great
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYMay 4, 2017
The kids at the queens community house and parents are amazing. IT was a great experience. We have did a lot of great things, arts and crafts, science, math, social studies, gym activities, and homework help. Learning about different personalities of the children was a great experience.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYApril 28, 2017
The work place is a loving and warm environment to work in. It is a great place were you can help other young kids be just as great. Everyone helps each other out and make sure we are enjoying our day.
Pros
Great supervisors