Questar Employee Reviews

terrible place
Vice President Of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNFebruary 11, 2019
The position was micro-managed relentlessly, and was expected to micro-manage all below, skipping management hierarchy. Worked up to 100 hours a week half the year.
Good compensation but too much stress and overtime
Senior Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 21, 2019
Questar is a great place to work if you like challenges, but the ambitious projects along with bad/missed requirements and poor management often results in excessive overtime at deadlines and leads to a lot of developer and general employee burnout, resulting in a high employee turnover rate.

The compensation is good, but still not enough to justify the stress and long hours. Also, recent changes have resulted in a rather large layoff and has crushed a lot of employee morale and confidence in management. I have met some of the sharpest, most dedicated developers I have ever worked with in my time at Questar, but unfortunately most of them have left the company over the last two years.
An overall good experience
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 17, 2019
The days were long but tended to fly by once you settled into a groove in scoring papers. It was fun hearing others chuckle over something they read in a paper. We all eventually ended up reading the same basic papers. Becoming qualified in some of the new ruberics in order to be able to score could be stressful. Fortunately I did well.
Day at Questar
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2019
I was a remote employee so I did not get to experience office life at Questar. My typical day started at 8:00am and entailed working on project management duties and attending several meeting throughout the day via conference call.
Productive workplace
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 2, 2019
After initial training, you perform 2 qualifying tests that you must pass before you can score the test. They would like you to score based on the training you receive and the rules as dictated by each state's exam that you score. You must have a 4 year college degree to perform this job.
Pros
constant
Cons
only project by project
Don't be fooled by the "change" they promote when trying to serenade you. It's still old Questar
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNOctober 19, 2018
Questar has such terrible reviews that when opening any positions, the majority of candidates are either very under-qualified or qualified enough that they ask for more than Questar is willing to pay. So what ends up happening is that Questar will go for the under-qualified hoping that they will work out.

This decision ends up as a domino affect where this under-qualified person becomes the thorn in multiple peoples side, yet nothing is done because a body is needed in that position. What's worse is you're expected to continuously train them when it's outside of your job description and their own leadership takes no accountability for it.

The company doesn't care about its employees; it only cares about the bottom line and this is apparent all the way up to the c-suite. They coax you with words to drink the kool-aid and before you know it, the rug is pulled right from under you.

PTO? Congrats on maxing out your PTO and feeling as if you're never able to take it because there's a constant barrage of "high critical - show stoppers" that never stop, even during "down time."

Sick? Same as above.

You have a cell phone? Never give your number out because expect to be on call 24/7, especially by leadership. What's worse is leadership will give your number out to other employees as if it were candy so that they can harass you about a task instead of going to your manager or someone else on your team for the information.

Are you on bereavement? At a wedding? On Vacation? At the hospital? Be ready to take a call and be asked "How soon can you get in?"

You have a
  more... family? Sorry. You'll only be able to see them when you get home for sleep.

You have medical needs? Insurance is "on-par" with other mid-sized company, but the stress Questar puts you under, you think they'd invest in this part a little more and encourage everyone to see a therapist and get some pills from their local doctor to deal with the work stress and work depression.

Did you get in the door with an interview already and they're sweet talking you about how Questar has changed? Don't get caught up in the lie. It's still the same ol'Questar.

If you want to learn what it takes to work under extreme pressure, be on call 24/7, or learn what a real toxic culture is, join Questar. Just remember to never be too comfortable with anyone because it's a revolving door that won't stop any time soon. You like your team? That's nice, 4-5 months from now they'll more than likely be gone. Some departments have a turnover right of losing 1 person per month. Wowzers!

If you want your sanity and enjoy time outside of work, look elsewhere. They might try to offer you a little bit above market rate but that's because they know already how hard it is to get good and competent people in the door in the first place.
Pros
Slightly above market rate for professionals.
Cons
Way too many to list here. Get away while you can.
Stress and Chaos - Life at Questar
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNOctober 16, 2018
Worked too many hours and experienced too much stress to allow me to recommend working here to anyone - except my worst enemy.

If you are my worst enemy, please get a job at Questar. You'll find the work hours, stress, lack of process, buggy software, and constantly (multiple times per hour) providing status to executives who just sit in their office and bark orders without actually helping . . . very enjoyable and rewarding. Throw in impossible timelines and treating Saturdays like Tuesdays and you'll be in heaven.

If I like you . . . don't work here. See above.
Pros
Reasonable pay and benefits, great worker bees (not upper management)
Cons
Work hours, no business processes, crazy expectations, and others too numerous to list
Great place to work!
Project Team Lead/ Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNSeptember 18, 2018
Questar Assessments is a great place to work. Staff are friendly and always find time to enjoy work through even busy schedules and time crunches. Would recommend working there to anyone in search for work.
Don't be fooled by the money!
Assessment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNSeptember 18, 2018
The pay seems good until they work you to the bone. New management does not care about the people he is managing. I'm not sure what his true objective is, but it is not to work as a cohesive team. The people working in the assessment trenches are great, but that's where it stops. Anyone with a 'management' title is only concerned about themselves. I'm not sure who the sales people are but they do not know, nor are they told honestly, what it takes to develop an assessment. They underbid and win, but the assessment cannot deliver absurd timelines and schedules. Don't get me wrong, in this industry you are expected to work crazy hours, when there is a deliverable, not every day, every week of the year! No corporate cards when you travel either, so you have to be out of pocket for ALL expensese until you submit, and are paid. No appreciation for a job well done.
Pros
The people on your same level are wonderful!! The best bunch of people I've worked with!
Cons
Management, out of touch with people in the trenches, on time on budget...never on time to a meeting!
Interesting work
Hand-scored essay (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 17, 2018
Monday thru Friday, with some Saturdays paying OT. There is A LOT of reading, and all work occurs at a laptop. The atmosphere os friendly, with most of the staff being retirees.
Great people and technology, poor work/life balance.
Data Warehouse Development Contractor (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNSeptember 12, 2018
Poor project planning leads to frequent night and weekend work.
Great people and technology. Office space was poor. Lousy cafeteria. Very 1990's office layout.
Pros
Technology
Cons
Job environment
It at times was stressful.
Reader/Scorer (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 30, 2018
I found it a great place to work. My team leads and scorn directors were great to work with. I did not have contact with management because they were at another location. This was a seasonal job so interviewing was not part of the process at least not recently. My first year there I had to write an essay that I found to be fun. Each test is different and often times in different rooms with different people. I made it a good experience because I wanted it to be.
Growing Assessment Company
Assessment Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 29, 2018
Educational Testing Company working with different types of assessment. Some employees work remote from different parts of the country and travel is often required.
Test Scoring
TEST EVALUATOR (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 27, 2018
The work is enjoyable. It does get frustrating to occasionally not be assigned to a project when you are available. We are well trained and staff is always gracious to answer questions.
Contractor
Copy editor/proofreader (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 16, 2018
I've worked there as a contractor for a year. My co-workers are great, but contractors are kind of treated like second-class citizens for the most part.
Not sure who to trust
Customer Support Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 14, 2018
I'm not sure who I could trust when I look back at Questar after I did everything possible to help my department a success.I felt betrayed in the end.
Fun friendly work environment
Scanner Operator (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 3, 2018
Nice fair and easy place to work 40 hrs plus most weeks and others 40 hours nice and understanding supervisor our first week the supervisors were very helpful
Pros
Ice cream and nice breaks
Cons
Sometimes hot
Questar has a very respectful and friendly workplace.
Reader/Scorer (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJuly 7, 2018
Work at Questar was fun. It provided me with an opportunity to work collaboratively to meet the dateline. We were allowed to break every 2 hours, in addition to lunch.
Pros
30 minutes unpaid lunch break and moore than 2 15 mins breaks.
Cons
Being a reader is stressful.
High Expectations
Publications Editor (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJune 16, 2018
This company provides clients with exceptional quality assessments, They also provide numerous opportunities for professional growth, through Lynda.com. Questar sets the bar high for employee performance and expects results.
Pros
The people
Cons
Work-life balance
Not bad for a temp job.
Test Scorer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 1, 2018
I'm not sure if this would be a good full time job but a full-time temp job, it's not bad. Co-workers are some of the friendliest people. There's free snacks and coffee.
Pros
Good working environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Questar. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight