Questar Employee Reviews

Don't be fooled by the "change" they promote when trying to serenade you. It's still old Questar
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNOctober 19, 2018
Questar has such terrible reviews that when opening any positions, the majority of candidates are either very under-qualified or qualified enough that they ask for more than Questar is willing to pay. So what ends up happening is that Questar will go for the under-qualified hoping that they will work out.

This decision ends up as a domino affect where this under-qualified person becomes the thorn in multiple peoples side, yet nothing is done because a body is needed in that position. What's worse is you're expected to continuously train them when it's outside of your job description and their own leadership takes no accountability for it.

The company doesn't care about its employees; it only cares about the bottom line and this is apparent all the way up to the c-suite. They coax you with words to drink the kool-aid and before you know it, the rug is pulled right from under you.

PTO? Congrats on maxing out your PTO and feeling as if you're never able to take it because there's a constant barrage of "high critical - show stoppers" that never stop, even during "down time."

Sick? Same as above.

You have a cell phone? Never give your number out because expect to be on call 24/7, especially by leadership. What's worse is leadership will give your number out to other employees as if it were candy so that they can harass you about a task instead of going to your manager or someone else on your team for the information.

Are you on bereavement? At a wedding? On Vacation? At the hospital? Be ready to take a call and be asked "How soon can you get in?"

You have a
  more... family? Sorry. You'll only be able to see them when you get home for sleep.

You have medical needs? Insurance is "on-par" with other mid-sized company, but the stress Questar puts you under, you think they'd invest in this part a little more and encourage everyone to see a therapist and get some pills from their local doctor to deal with the work stress and work depression.

Did you get in the door with an interview already and they're sweet talking you about how Questar has changed? Don't get caught up in the lie. It's still the same ol'Questar.

If you want to learn what it takes to work under extreme pressure, be on call 24/7, or learn what a real toxic culture is, join Questar. Just remember to never be too comfortable with anyone because it's a revolving door that won't stop any time soon. You like your team? That's nice, 4-5 months from now they'll more than likely be gone. Some departments have a turnover right of losing 1 person per month. Wowzers!

If you want your sanity and enjoy time outside of work, look elsewhere. They might try to offer you a little bit above market rate but that's because they know already how hard it is to get good and competent people in the door in the first place.
Pros
Slightly above market rate for professionals.
Cons
Way too many to list here. Get away while you can.
Stress and Chaos - Life at Questar
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNOctober 16, 2018
Worked too many hours and experienced too much stress to allow me to recommend working here to anyone - except my worst enemy.

If you are my worst enemy, please get a job at Questar. You'll find the work hours, stress, lack of process, buggy software, and constantly (multiple times per hour) providing status to executives who just sit in their office and bark orders without actually helping . . . very enjoyable and rewarding. Throw in impossible timelines and treating Saturdays like Tuesdays and you'll be in heaven.

If I like you . . . don't work here. See above.
Pros
Reasonable pay and benefits, great worker bees (not upper management)
Cons
Work hours, no business processes, crazy expectations, and others too numerous to list
Great place to work!
Project Team Lead/ Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNSeptember 18, 2018
Questar Assessments is a great place to work. Staff are friendly and always find time to enjoy work through even busy schedules and time crunches. Would recommend working there to anyone in search for work.
Don't be fooled by the money!
Assessment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNSeptember 18, 2018
The pay seems good until they work you to the bone. New management does not care about the people he is managing. I'm not sure what his true objective is, but it is not to work as a cohesive team. The people working in the assessment trenches are great, but that's where it stops. Anyone with a 'management' title is only concerned about themselves. I'm not sure who the sales people are but they do not know, nor are they told honestly, what it takes to develop an assessment. They underbid and win, but the assessment cannot deliver absurd timelines and schedules. Don't get me wrong, in this industry you are expected to work crazy hours, when there is a deliverable, not every day, every week of the year! No corporate cards when you travel either, so you have to be out of pocket for ALL expensese until you submit, and are paid. No appreciation for a job well done.
Pros
The people on your same level are wonderful!! The best bunch of people I've worked with!
Cons
Management, out of touch with people in the trenches, on time on budget...never on time to a meeting!
Great people and technology, poor work/life balance.
Data Warehouse Development Contractor (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNSeptember 12, 2018
Poor project planning leads to frequent night and weekend work.
Great people and technology. Office space was poor. Lousy cafeteria. Very 1990's office layout.
Pros
Technology
Cons
Job environment
It at times was stressful.
Reader/Scorer (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 30, 2018
I found it a great place to work. My team leads and scorn directors were great to work with. I did not have contact with management because they were at another location. This was a seasonal job so interviewing was not part of the process at least not recently. My first year there I had to write an essay that I found to be fun. Each test is different and often times in different rooms with different people. I made it a good experience because I wanted it to be.
Growing Assessment Company
Assessment Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 29, 2018
Educational Testing Company working with different types of assessment. Some employees work remote from different parts of the country and travel is often required.
Test Scoring
TEST EVALUATOR (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 27, 2018
The work is enjoyable. It does get frustrating to occasionally not be assigned to a project when you are available. We are well trained and staff is always gracious to answer questions.
Contractor
Copy editor/proofreader (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 16, 2018
I've worked there as a contractor for a year. My co-workers are great, but contractors are kind of treated like second-class citizens for the most part.
Not sure who to trust
Customer Support Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 14, 2018
I'm not sure who I could trust when I look back at Questar after I did everything possible to help my department a success.I felt betrayed in the end.
Fun friendly work environment
Scanner Operator (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNAugust 3, 2018
Nice fair and easy place to work 40 hrs plus most weeks and others 40 hours nice and understanding supervisor our first week the supervisors were very helpful
Pros
Ice cream and nice breaks
Cons
Sometimes hot
Questar has a very respectful and friendly workplace.
Reader/Scorer (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJuly 7, 2018
Work at Questar was fun. It provided me with an opportunity to work collaboratively to meet the dateline. We were allowed to break every 2 hours, in addition to lunch.
Pros
30 minutes unpaid lunch break and moore than 2 15 mins breaks.
Cons
Being a reader is stressful.
High Expectations
Publications Editor (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJune 16, 2018
This company provides clients with exceptional quality assessments, They also provide numerous opportunities for professional growth, through Lynda.com. Questar sets the bar high for employee performance and expects results.
Pros
The people
Cons
Work-life balance
Not bad for a temp job.
Test Scorer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 1, 2018
I'm not sure if this would be a good full time job but a full-time temp job, it's not bad. Co-workers are some of the friendliest people. There's free snacks and coffee.
Pros
Good working environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
no benefits
Weak Executives and unrealistic hour expectations
techPM (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNMay 29, 2018
Senior executive is very week, lack of organizational process drives hours w/in IT beyond what is realistic. In the last 5 weeks worked over 80 hours each week, and was berated by senior executives for not working more hours, especially over the weekends. Other team members worked several 100+ work weeks. Would not recommend if work life balance is important to you.
Pros
South of the River, relaxed dress code
Cons
Hours
Seasonal
Seasonal Test Scorer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 14, 2018
Opportunity for overtime was plentiful (9 hour work day & just about every Saturday). Well organized teams with clear objectives & goals to meet/exceed deadlines.

Would love to continue working here until I get a full-time job back in my career.
Changes Needed
Database Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNMay 9, 2018
I came in with high expectations. Senior leadership is not yet ready for the changes needed to transition from a small to medium sized company. There is little thought to night and weekend work being dictated without compensation. No organizational attempt to balance work/life.
Family oriented successful business
MANAGER, EMPLOYEE RELATIONS (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 20, 2018
Questar was a fantastic place to work. I felt it offered a challenging job experience. I appreciated the amount of responsibility and trust that was given to me. I also appreciated the fact that management genuinely cared about their employees. Because of this culture employees in return were extremely loyal, safe, curteous and productive.
Pros
work life balance was excellent, with great PTO and flexible schedule
Cons
Benefit package kept being reduced over the years
Good Work Environment
UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 19, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Questar and was the beginning of my professional IT career. There were several advancement opportunities and salary and benefits were comparable.
If working project to project is okay by you then go for it.
Reader/Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 21, 2018
This corporation overworks their staff and challenges project leaders to cut cost in the production hours of people who are trained on set projects. Some project leaders are smoother than others. The ackward ones seem to want to only please their boss and cut hours and control when you clock out for the day. Also, trying to save costs they reduce your hours as if you have no other choice. Therefore, it is hard to count on the hours promised versus the pay you will receive.
Pros
Project oriented, flexible if you want to accept the work.
Cons
Strangely micro-managed from upper management, feel sorry for the project leaders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Questar. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight