Quinnipiac University Employee Reviews

Positive work environment
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTSeptember 24, 2016
Everyone is great to work with from lower level workers to higher up personal. Working here developed my soft skills further by interacting with multiple types of personalities.
Productive work atmosphere
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTAugust 11, 2016
Quinnipiac University Polling Institute was my first job. I spent the hours I worked dialing U.S. citizens to interview them on pressing matters in the news. This job taught me how to conduct myself on the phone, how to handle rejection, no matter how aggressive the other party may be. Most importantly this job taught me that not every one is cut out for the position that they are placed in. This particular job had the highest retention rate among university students. I knew that when I applied for the position. I told myself when I applied that I would remain at the job throughout the semester no matter the hardship; and I did. The main reason for the high retention rate was mainly that the job was mundane and tedious. I realized this after the first week, but still I pressed on throughout the semester. The most rewarding part of this job was watching the news and seeing broadcasts from the Quinnipiac Poll and knowing that the work I was doing was being shown around the nation. The interviews I conducted helped Americans get a better sense of what other Americans were thinking about matters in the news. While this job was not intellectually stimulating it did serve a purpose for the greater good, and for that I enjoyed it.
Productive place to work
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 26, 2016
It's a enjoyable place to work. Professional management great lunch breaks. But I think the pay rate should be higher. The job also offer Union for their employees.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Pay rate
You will become a robot. No incentives to want to stay.
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 1, 2016
A typical day of work, if you ride a bus there is no way home at the end of the day... just know this!
You ride in with just enough time to scarf down a slice of pizza before shift or arrive an hour+ too early... wait in line like children to punch in and then work just long enough to start falling asleep then get a 10 minute break. Then back to work until the end of shift. End of shift everyone must stay seated until your row is called then you can line up at the clock to punch out... looks like a bunch of preschoolers waiting to go home to mom at the end of the day... if you are the last row expect to leave 15 minutes +/- after your shift is done.

You call random people who are mad at you for calling at weird times of day but the work is easy... you're just calling numbers talking to people. The hard part is staying awake the entire time listening to voicemail after voicemail ring after ring after ring, you aren't allowed to multitask AT ALL... you can't have your phone out to check on your kids through text or get sent home and you have to ask to use a phone most times being told wait until your only 10 minute break unless you have a cell that hasn't died because you aren't allowed to charge your phone while on site as there is no place to do so.

I find it amazing you are given such a obviously boring task but aren't allowed to do anything... pull out a piece of paper and start doodling it gets snatched right out of your hand like your in school taking some test... but fall asleep and get sent home. Shifts go from 3:30 to midnight broken into 3 shifts (so you can't
  more... get overtime) you aren't payed any different like holiday pay or anything or Sundays yet you are expected to work every weekend at least two shifts minimum and 5 shifts total for the week.

I have learned Management has created a culture among themselves where no one can ever get a chance to grow... It's sad to learn people have been there 10+years and still work them same position with the same pay! Nearly all people working here is elderly or disabled. The only bit of appreciation you get is a golden ticket which is a free unpaid day off you can use whenever you want -_- really!?!? We can't even get punch cards because we would be too much like the management if we had them... WHAT?!?! It would save use loads of time trying to punch in an out instead of having to line up like children!
We have to buy mic covers for the microphones for 0.25c each way can't we buy a punch card?

I feel like we should have more benefits or ANY benefits due to the amount of publicity our work direct brings this company and the stringent rules at which we must adhere. I find it amazing Management can afford to pay bills and drive nice cars yet I can't make enough weekly for a scooter. I feel really bad for the people who have been working there 3+ years with no compensation except unpaid vacation days! It's like they don't care if you leave its so easy to get more workers! Even the chairs are designed to not let you get comfortable by making you sit balanced or it will side so most people bring cushions or even there own seat! I have a bad back and I'm poor so I don't have a special cushion or chair I just suffer all day take my medication when it's time and hope I don't fall asleep while already fighting the boredom points of the job.

The only enjoyable parts of the job is going home and talking with co-workers about what we'd like to change. Don't get me wrong I'm sure this job could be great and it WAS at one point... but we are stuck with a super high turnover rate no ladder to climb no raise no benefits and a harsh set of rules that encourage you to want to leave. Anytime someone get in trouble they say: "did you sign the paper that said..." When being hired for the position I was happy it sounded great it wasn't until I accepted the job and limited all my options did I find out on my first day (supposedly training and first day is the same) all the "rules" that were never determined during interview. And was when I was told no options for increased hours, pay or advancement in positions & that "my job is my job" But during the interview I underlined the fact that I'm looking for a job based around my field of work... computer repair he said I'd work good helping with the networking and such... I now make phone calls to random people.. -____-
Pros
Guaranteed pay.
Cons
No raise, no promotion, no paid vacation, no benefits at all!
Perfect place to work if they got rid of the Union
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJune 25, 2016
Top quality faculty, beautiful campus and a retirement package that can't be topped. Unfortunately, clerical positions are required to be part of a Union that limits room for growth. Copy room clerks with high school diplomas are paid the same amount as Secretaries who have degrees and years of job experience. Clerical job descriptions are horribly outdated and inaccurate. I would never consider leaving this position if it weren't for the Union which seems to hold growth back rather than promote it. Compensation does not match the job requirements, through no fault of Quinnipiac University who offers free education to all staff (union or not) able to pass the courses.
Pros
Tuition waiver, beautiful campus, brilliant faculty
Cons
clerical required to join Union
Human resource information systems professional
HRIS/Compensation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTJune 15, 2016
Developed and supported employee data and environments to deliver internal and external services. Directed projects and information services to a faculty and staff population of over 2,000. Managed applications, infrastructure, operational continuity, data communications, and system support. Performed hands-on development and provided technical leadership for best practice requirements, applications development and database development and support.
Great workplace
Office Assistant to School of Health Sciences (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTJune 15, 2016
Simple tasks for a student worker. Employers allowed for plenty of time to complete each task and provided adequate directions. Would recommend.
Relaxed workplace
Student Caller (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTMay 25, 2016
High demand for donations but not hard to get donations. Prizes received for earning large donations. Pretty easy job, very repetitive and some days are really slow.
Pros
extra hour pay for receiving $1000 donation
Had a fun time working with them.
Auxiliary Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTMay 19, 2016
The job is only temporary since I was only handing out I.D. cards to freshmen. It was fun, they knew what they were doing. It wasn't too hard at any moments.
Pros
Free food, breaks
Cons
Only temporary
Wonderful Learning Environment
Research Assistant and Senior Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTMay 13, 2016
This was a great place to gain research experience. I gained knowledge about data entry and coding, worked with study participants, organized data collection sessions, etc. Most enjoyable was getting to work with other team members.
A very nice place environment to work
Armed Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTMay 11, 2016
A very nice working and friendly supportive environment with the Department of Public Safety and management within the Universities Mission statement.
Easy going workplace
Mail Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTMay 2, 2016
Management and supervisors friendly
Learned customer service skills working at the post office
Learned to pay attention to detail when labeling, sorting, entering packages and mail
Working as a Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTApril 14, 2016
Not a bad GA job!
Decent pay and can do homework at some points.
Co-workers are students and usually its a good match everyone gets along, staff is very nice but it depends what department you work in. The best part is you can make your own hours and take off if you need to.
It is a great school to work for
Graduate Assistant for Associate Athletic Director (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTFebruary 17, 2016
Everyone here is very helpful if you need anything.
The co-workers are great and everyone is very welcoming.
A typical day involves setup and break down of events that happen on the Quinnipiac Campus.
Short Hours
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTJanuary 25, 2016
If you are looking for some extra cash and have the time to work some interesting hours, the polling institute may be for you, but it seems more like a college aged kids part time job.
Productive and Great work enivronment
Financial Technology Center Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJanuary 25, 2016
During the day I sit in the the breakout from near the Bloomberg terminal. If a student has an issue or acquires assistance navigating through the terminal I help them out. I also help out the FIN 470 trading strategies class by showing them functions on the Bloomberg terminal that can help them work on their trading abilities.
Has become one of the top universities in the U.S.
Director, Ed McMahon Communications Center (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTJanuary 6, 2016
Left reluctantly after 20+ years in order to relocate. Fine employer, congenial work environment. Excellent benefits, fair compensation.
Exciting Place To Work
Poll Interviewer (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 1, 2016
Quinnipiac University Poll is an exciting workplace in regarding to the staff and keeping up with the current news headliners. I work 3 hours in the evening five days a week with a group of 100 co-workers that are extra special. Most of my co-workers are students and people that need a second job to support their other income. The hardest part of the job is there are too many days off without notice. The most enjoyable part of the job is reaching my quote at night and that is making about 200-250 calls a night.
Pros
Excellent staff
Cons
too many days off and not working over 20 hours a week
Great with giving Flexibly and make convenience to accommodate other responsibilties
Poll Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTAugust 31, 2015
A very Supportive Environment, with great incentives and bonuses to encourage Productivity. Flexible work schedules and excellent with assisting, arranging, and allowing accommodations with other your other responsibilities.
When my car broke down they allowed up to six months to resolve the problem and return to be put back on the schedule without reapplying.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary
Rich in Experience
Student Affairs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 20, 2015
A typical day working as a Student Affairs Assistant kept me busy and enabled me to become well knowledgeable of the ins and outs of working in an office environment. I learned how to professionally communicate via phone calls and in person. I became very comfortable in conversations with angry or disgruntled parents of students. The first few such phone calls I received startled me and were slightly intimidating. I was able to get a good understanding of how best to defuse the situation by calmly helping the caller through their issue or transferring them to someone who was more appropriate to handle their issue. I worked with a lot of paperwork and completed tasks, including filing, copying, and shredding documents. I was lucky enough to have really great co-workers. I was the only student worker during my shifts. The secretary whose desk was next to mine was whom I worked with most closely and most often. She was very helpful when I first began working there. She really helped me master the responsibilities and tasks I was given on a daily basis.The hardest part of my job was during our busiest hours when I would have many phone calls simultaneously while also being responsible for a large stack of documents and files and directing students and parents coming into the office for disciplinary meetings. However, I would say this is the the area that I most benefited from as I was really able to improve on my multi tasking skills. By the end of my time in the office, I was able to successfully handle all of my tasks at once with no effort.