R+L Carriers Employee Reviews

very helpful, posit attitude
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 13, 2018
A typical day of work is to come in, and start answering phones. I help set appointments for shipments of all kinds. I also enter Driver Tracking Reports, also take pick up calls. The most enjoyable part of my job are the people I work with, and the challenges this job brings.
Pros
worked around my daughters school
slow past
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NJAugust 11, 2018
the job paid well but poor management!!!!! Too much errors with paper work, lack of information as far as pickups a deliveries go. They don't too care about driver safety too much.
Trash Job, Stressful, management sucks, they will not work with you. Boss loves drama and talks about everyone in the office.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 9, 2018
Management sucks, Boss loves drama and will talk about you behind your back. And they pass the buck for everything. Favoritism. Won’t get anywhere in the job
Pros
Money
Management is horrible
Truck Driver Class A CDL/ yard jockey (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TNAugust 9, 2018
I have been with the company 12 yrs & the current manager is a liar, doesn't care about employees, talks down 2 other employees about workers, all he cares about is numbers & how he looks....the company is great but the management is horrible....
Not a good place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, OHAugust 3, 2018
This company was not consistent in the way they treated their drivers. Management would tell you something once but later forgot what they told you and changed their story.
Pros
Pay was fair
Cons
Management was not consistant
it was a great place to work with a friendly atmosphere.
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAAugust 2, 2018
it was 30 hours a week part time. a vey friendly atmosphere. I had my own forklift and loaded/unloaded trucks by myself. its a dock, so your at the mercy of the weather seasons.
Pros
friendly and fast paced.
Cons
at the mercy of the seasons of the weather.
I had 4 good years there enjoyed the people . Drivers where the best by far I worked with,
South Jersey Dispatcher / Operations Management (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NJ 08016July 26, 2018
This company was the best trucking company I have worked for. it allowed to continued working past 68. I wanted to cut my hours. I averaged 53 weekly the past 2 years. Prior to that I averaged 60 plus weekly.
Pros
Not afraid to hire older employees.
Cons
sometimes short manpower
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJuly 26, 2018
come to work and do your job. they pay good morning for a family owned and operated american company. ive worked a few part time, (fastenal, target, first data, etc) by far the best one. nice to work with people.
Pros
perks w/ discounts
Cons
basically outside all year.
Great job.
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 25, 2018
Have to be motivated and hard working. Provided great hours but the supervisors can be a little on ypur back because they wanna push you to do better and make sure your doing everything right. Without damaging anything
Low professionalism management stabs each other in the back
Dispatcher\planner (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 24, 2018
Constant yelling and screaming at employees by manager. Manager curses and calls people names. Manager will lie to you and then tell you that never happened. He will put words in your mouth, when talking to other employees.
Pros
Could not find any
Cons
Poor management, poor benefits
Decent place to work
Pickup and Delivery/Line-haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, OHJuly 23, 2018
Unless you fall into a set position, you come to work whenever they call. Work was very dependent on the ability to manage time and work hard. Non-union shop so seniority means little except as regarding pay and benefits.
Pros
Competitive wages, good benefits, good equipment
Cons
Advancement is based on who you know
Great company to work for
Rate Clerk/Auditor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, OHJuly 18, 2018
I have been at R&L for over a year and I greatly love this company. The owners are incredibly kind and caring people. The work is fast paced but very rewarding. Management does a great job at helping both new and veteran workers. Highly recommend this place for work and as a business.
Pros
Great Management, benefits, pay, advancement
No room for advancement with company/No overtime
Certified Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 18, 2018
Company was a nice place to work, the hours just didn't fit in my schedule. With me being a single farther the shift I was working wouldn't allow me to spend quality time with my daughter.
Pros
Nice co-wokers
Cons
No room for advancement
Horrible place to work
Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, OHJuly 13, 2018
I only worked here for 6 months, at which time they couldn't determine a commission structure for newly created inside sales team. Working for minimum wage and no perks at all.
Pros
large company
Cons
horrible management
Big shift in Company Culture in recent years
Driver (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, OHJuly 12, 2018
R&L is a family-owned LTL Carrier and Logistics company. What started as 1 terminal in 1965 is now 120+ in 46 states, and has the growing pains to prove it.
The drivers are treated the best of any employees, but dock and lower level clerical/office staff are usually treated as expendable. Most upper level management have been with the company for several decades with no formal training in their positions. There is a definite culture of favoritism, with the “in” crowd getting several chances, but the “out” crowd being ingnored or dismissed.
The equipment is either outdated or poorly maintained, or sometimes both. Several computer programs are still running on DOS and the overall software package is poorly integrated, with parts of the programming not talking to each other causing the same information to need to be entered multiple times. The e-log system is homegrown, clunky and not intuitive to use. The truck and trailer fleet had not been updated in several years. The update to the fleet is in progress, but new trucks can’t be delivered as quickly as old units fall out of service, causing several equipment shortages. There is no formal training for the mechanics to repair the modern, high tech, computerized emissions engines and automated transmissions, resulting in long delays to get trucks repaired and back in service.
New driver training is marginal, with a one-size-fits-all approach. Training seems to be in place to satisfy company and/or FMCSA and DOT mandates, not necessarily to ensure a new employee’s success. If that happens, it’s probably an unplanned
  more... byproduct and not intended or repeatable.
Freight damage is entirely too high, with much being the result of intentional mishandling or lack of proper cargo securement. The processes are in place, but only followed intermittently. When push comes to shove, “get the freight out” is the over-arching priority, however it needs to happen.
Several years ago, this was one of the preeminent companies to work for, with a hard fought and well deserved reputation. For the last decade, they’ve been coasting on this “reputation”, while letting service and quality go by the wayside. It’s going to take a serious upper level shakeup to right the ship and recover and rebuild that reputation. Overall, it’s not the worst place in the world to work, but there are better options, especially for someone with drive and determination to succeed.
Timely manner
FORKLIFT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJuly 10, 2018
R&L is a place where you always had to stay busy, and make sure you unload or load a truck in a timely manner. The employee's were easy to work with.
Pros
Enjoyed the job
Cons
Horrible managment in lebanon terminal
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJuly 10, 2018
Great job and great pay management completely destroyed motivation and moral to the point they wanted it to be a hostile environment and employees to be against each other! And in a team based atmosphere that is the worst thing you can do! The terminal manager is not only poor at his job but poor to his people. Hence the turnover rate and why so many drivers leave....
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managment
Fast past Monday through Friday job
RATE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 4, 2018
They are all like family there. Easy people to work with and would recommend friends/family to work there. They are fast pace office environment. Great place to work overall
transportation
OPS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 26, 2018
no skilled workforce, no training and development program, no over time benefits and pay very low very low regard to safety and dock operations always had issues with bad equipment and not enough to complete daily tasks
Pros
Cons
low pay, bad working conditions
Part time didn’t pay well
Switcher Driver (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 25, 2018
I like my coworkers liked the job liked everyone on individual level liked working with them didn’t like their pay didn’t like the fact that it was part time and probably would be that way for along time
Pros
Cons
Part time and not very good pay for switchers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R+L Carriers. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight