R.E. Michel Company Employee Reviews

A Good Place To Start
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 27, 2018
I began my tenure with R.E. Michel in the warehouse and left as a branch manager. There are opportunities for advancement, however you may need to relocate in order to take advantage of this. A typical day consists of taking orders at the counter, pulling orders, and staging deliveries for the next day. Tasks vary depending on your title, but that's it in it's most basic form. I was fortunate enough to work at a counter with others who had much more industry experience than I, and was able to learn a lot more about the HVAC industry from those around me. There is basic on site training, but it's up to the individual (in my experience) to educate themselves. Some branches are better than others when it comes to training and counter days with the vendors. It is a large company and at times you can feel like a number, but efforts that go above and beyond will be noticed. The pay is average. Raises are given as a percentage based on performance. Any type of increase outside of that is reviewed by the VP. Be prepared to negotiate if you're looking for more money. The benefits and 401K were pretty good as well. Paid vacations and sick days were a plus, but it's use it or lose it. They will not roll over unused time. Overtime is typically not given to hourly employees. If you're scheduled to work Saturday you're given a half day during the week rather than overtime.The hardest part of the job was the work/life balance. I was usually putting in 12-14 hour days, and then tasked with taking emergency calls after hours as well. After hours calls usually meant a trip back to the store to  more... open up for a customer. I didn't feel that the salary was enough compensation for the hours that I worked. I was given an opportunity to work with a variety of people with a ton of experience and have been able to use that experience elsewhere. For me it was a good place to start.  less
Pros
Lots of Exposure to the HVAC Industry, Paid Vacations/Sick Time, Benefits
Cons
Pay Isn't Great, Long Hours, Work/Life Balance
Management sucks
Assistant Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 9, 2018
Management is lazy and incompetent very rude to employees and customers. Work environment would be better if it wasn't for management. Short lunches no breaks ,while other location that me and other co-workers have visited are the complete opposite! Great working environment and wonderful management.
Pros
benifits
Cons
management
My experience
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 10, 2018
When I worked here I loved everyone around me except the manager of our particular location. He is gone now, so I would highly recommend this job to someone just starting out in heating and air.
Pros
Delivery Driver, Job Security, Benefits, Chances to move up.
Cons
Hot in the summer
Great company horrible location manager
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 8, 2018
This was a dream job has great benefits great salary fun no stress exciting but my immediate manager had affair with my now ex wife while I was employed there he also stole merchandise and blamed his employees I wish I would have transferred instead of quitting I let my emotions get the best of me in a very personal situation
Pros
Benefits salary
Cons
Branch manager
Work comes first
Warranty Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 11, 2019
Managment thinks they do nothing wrong. One day they are your friend the next your worst enemy. They expect you to be a robot all it is with them is work, work, work, work. Cant even use the bathroom half the time without being questioned on why are you "not working"
Pros
Like everyone says its a job
Cons
Managment wants you to be a robot
okay place towork
Counter Salesman (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 15, 2018
needs better management job was boring very slow and repetitive customers very rude manager never defends employees not appreciated ..................
Horrible culture
Outside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHJanuary 4, 2019
death sentence. Miserable working conditions and associates. Simply nothing good to say. Horrible district manager. Bottom feeder customers. Unhappy customers
Workplace was busy and job oriented
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2019
During a typical day at work, I am on the road a lot delivering products to customers. I enjoy meeting new people and making different connections with them.
Very disorganized place to work, poor management
Warehouse/Driver (Former Employee) –  Allen, KYOctober 14, 2014
The work was not that hard when you got used to the cramped quarters. Basic day was doing almost everything in the building including doing deliveries and trying to keep the warehouse in a half workable order but due to poor management ordering way to many trucks for small space was impossible. Learned to get things out as soon as possible and to operated forklifts in tight spaces. Management was not concerned really about you but how much stuff they could move. Co-workers were great I enjoyed working with them all. The hardest part of the job was the insistence of management to continually over order product with no space to put and try to work around some kind of order in the chaos. The best part was the overtime trying to load trucks to get the product out.
Pros
overtime
Cons
finicky management, Benefits not that great, no breaks as to say
Wonderful place to work
Customer Service, Sales, Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 26, 2018
Great place to work. Interaction with customers. Upper management cares about their employees. Travel, special assignments, inventory control. Relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Definitely a foot in the door if you want to join the HVAC industry.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 13, 2018
I worked at RE Michel for almost a year.
It was a cool place the manager was great but the pay really wasnt good at all.
You get to meet tons of contractors who work in the field. Most good people.
Would recommend working here if youre trying to get into the industry. You'll get familiar with a great amount of parts.
Pros
Cool Manager
Cons
Low pay.
Re Michel is a cover up
Forklift Operator / Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJuly 30, 2018
Managment does not care about your life . Nor does it pay well . 25 cents a year is a joke . Treat people wrong the company looks at you as a number nothing else
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Everything about this place is a con
R E Michael is a comfortable place to work but you cannot live comfortably off the salary.
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 23, 2013
I took a full time job at R E Michael company. Although I have learned some things for if I decided to do HVAC work on the side I feel I could serve the world and those I love better in a more career oriented profession. A typical day of work is warehousing products for HVAC contractors. Most of my co workers are good people and when it comes down to it we get along, so are most of the contractors that do business with us. The hardest part of the job is the salary. The owners did not become rich men and expand to a nationwide company by paying their employees what they deserve. They are very anti union from the company handbook and that is their opinion, no one has to work for them if they do not accept the salary. They do provide competitive benefits so I respect them for that, as I have worked for companies where they do not provide that. The job security is also positive. The most enjoyable part of the job is the easy going atmosphere.
Pros
Competitive benefits, job security, and easy going atmosphere.
Cons
Salary, advancement, company poitics, and anti union ethics.
No fun allowed
Material Handler, Reserve Driver, Counterperson (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 11, 2018
Manager is good, but getting close to retirement. Rest of employees are generally not fun to work with. Job is a mix of boring and frustrating. Customers can be hard to work with.
Pros
8 hour day.
Cons
Unpaid lunch, difficult environment.
Great Benefits
DRIVER / WAREHOUSE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 6, 2017
As a workplace environment there is a lot of empty spots that need to be covered, there is no relationship with a HR department, It does has great benefits. But it also has a career limitations.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Work enviroment
great place to work
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 24, 2017
Great place to work. the hours are a 9-5 deal which is great for family /life balance.

Management is real laid back and chill as long as you get the work done.

Benefits are decent especially considering the 401k match which not a lot of employers do nowadays.

Wish it paid more and/or provided commission.

Other than that great place to work.
My co workers were good people
R Technician (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJune 5, 2018
Horrible place to work but they educate you in the hvac trade I took multiple classes on the hvac trade. You can work alot if hours but it goes unappreciated
Pros
Opportunities to learn
Cons
No time for personal life
A learning experience.
Administrative Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDApril 28, 2017
Management is great here, the work is easy. My only real issue is the pay and the raises are just 25 cents. I think that the money they put, into there branches they could give to there employees.
Pros
Cons
Pay
A stable work environment
Counter Sales II (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJune 25, 2012
R.E. Michel is a great company! They offer excellent benefits and other perks for working in the company. Aside from being Customer First, they are very Employee First as well. If you have a chance to apply for a position, you should try it and consider if they offer you job.
Pros
work education, great benefits, first shift only
enjoyed interaction with employees and customers
branch manager (Former Employee) –  DuBois, PAJanuary 12, 2018
I normally opening up in the morning / received e-mails / phone messages from sales reps and customers placing orders in after-hours. Supervised unloading of trucks and proper placement of product lines to warehouse areas.. Supervised deliveries and took care of customer issues daily.. either delegating them to others or priority customers took care of issues myself. Generated sales and did inspections of heating systems looking for operational problems .. giving customers ideas on improving and /or changing out older systems...
Pros
am a self-starter and needed little supervision ..
Cons
new -younger boss who knew it all .. would not take ideas from experienced branch managers