R.S. Hughes Company, Inc. Employee Reviews

Starting block
SENIOR OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 14, 2018
This is a good company if you are looking for a start into industrial sales. The management is still stuck in what worked in the past and not forward thinking
Culture made it fun to come to work
INSIDE SALES & MANAGER TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  Kent, WASeptember 13, 2018
The culture in the office in Kent, WA was very relaxed and fun. The employees there were fun to work with and when things did get stressful reminded you we were just selling tape and glue. The branch manager was also there to bring you up when you were down but at the same time hold you accountable for mistakes made. I wish I would have been more vocal about the salary and my interest in not being relocated when they were talking about me taking over a branch. I found the grass was not greener on the other side.
Pros
Yearly golf tournament, 401K, Benefits, Pto
Decent entry level position, no room from growth
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Pacoima, CAAugust 23, 2018
if you are coming directly out of college, or if you are in a transition from an old job this can be a good fit.

I wouldn't expect a lot when it comes to growth, you will have to become a manager and relocate to a different city or state to be promoted.

Don't let the job title trick you, there is very little selling skills required.

We take inbound warm leads and process orders and quotes. However, there is a great deal of administrative work that is required along with, purchasing and accounting. Its far from what you would consider a "sales" job.
Pros
Decent work life balance & solid benefits.
Cons
compensation, pay structure, lack of growth, and too many task to handle.
Inconsistent work enviorment. Only top management get the money.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 15, 2018
Good for out of college worker looking to make a low salary.
Not enough opportunity for advancement unless you are looking to be transfered to a new location.
Pros
Great medical, dental and vision benefits
Cons
Does not take care of good employees
Typical work day
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 2, 2018
Visit accounts, build relationships with potential customers. Best part of my job was meeting new people and introducing new products. It was difficult to advance within the company.
Pros
Good work enviroment, benefits
Cons
NO room for advancment
Sales
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 17, 2018
They are very specific to the manufacturing and MRO industries. The company has good systems in place and offer multiple opportunities to be trained with distributor reps.
Rewarding Careers with Good Management and Great Co-Workers
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  So Cal, CAMarch 8, 2018
Great place to start your career, grow your skills and round out your book smarts / resume. Great co-workers, good management, lots of opportunity for advancement!

The company has a very old school structure and strictly promotes from within; the only way to succeed is to rise from the very bottom and put in your dues.
Good place to work but does not pay competetively
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 28, 2018
I called on customers and potential customer within my assigned territory with the goal of developing relationships with existing customers and creating relationship with new potential customers for the purpose of increasing sales.
Pros
Good company with great tools
Cons
Commission program is not competetive with other companies
Quick paced environment, great managers, hard work.
Inside Sales/Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2017
Great management, tough work, low pay until promoted multiple times, lack of growth opportunity due to corporate office not because of direct management. 50+ Locations corporate decides branch employee advancement (while its said otherwise) the outside and inside sales managers are great, must be quick to learn software for sales processing and tons of product knowledge to master in a quick time period
Pros
Great management
Cons
Poor corporate structure
Incredible company with job growth possibilities
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 4, 2017
Many who have worked for R.S. Hughes has moved on to continue their career in another branch of the company running it them selves. Management will take care of you and is great at communication, all the way from the top to the bottom. At least 3 times a month you get free lunch brought it by different companies as well as bonus opportunities if goals are met.
Pros
Incredible company
Cons
No breaks and non-stop atmosphere
Unprofessional management
Manager Trainee Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 29, 2017
This company promised things in order to have me come and work for them, then changed the terms of employment once I was onboarded. Managers micro manage employees.
Get rid of antiquated leaders!
Inside Operations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2017
The most top heavy company, EVER.
Bad management sticks together and they are quick to fire anyone that doesn't jump when someone barks.
Poor salary, poor advancement, poor environment beyond regional master divisions.
Inside Operations are expected to make cold calls for outside salesman who do very little work based on ops people
Great product exposure and application knowledge!
Pros
Great boot camp for anyone looking to be the best of the best!
Cons
Poor advancement, treatment, staffing, etc
Wore different hats
Receivables and Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 21, 2017
I worked in Collections, Receivables, Sales, Shipping and Receiving.
I enjoyed Collections and Sales the most. Speaking with clients and bringing their accounts current.
I learned multitasking and wearing different hats.
Pros
Great benifits
Great place to start career
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 15, 2017
Good on the job training
Small company
Good people to work with
Fair management
Good location
Fair work policies
Large customer base, so we were kept busy
Pros
Good location
Cons
antiquated computer system
Great Coworkers
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJanuary 10, 2017
RS Hughes is a wonderful place to work. The employees make it a wonderful environment. It is a good company to work for. The hardest part working there was a heavy workload with lack of support.
Great Company to work for
Digital Email Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 6, 2016
I would recommend this company because of their bonus program and drive to succeed. They not only want to succeed themselves, they also want to see their employees succeed as well.
Fast Paced and Exciting
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 23, 2015
Everyday you meet new people and strengthen the relationships with current customers. New products and great reps supporting you makes it an excellent place to work.
Pros
Great commissions and support from vendors
Cons
Long Traveling days and ware on your personal vehicle.
Not a great place to work if you want to move up
SALES (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 10, 2015
At R.S. Hughes you will find yourself sitting on a desk for serval hours a day at time just managing inventory. You do learn something everyday! When taking calls never one is the same. Applications for different manufacturing processes is part of your everyday tasks. Management does not help in your growth but are great people!
Cons
no growth
Good company with a lot of people stuck in past
Outside Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  AnaheimJuly 27, 2015
I had the ability to grow rapidly but the company is firmly rooted in the idealism of a culture of business that does not exist as much. Instead of changing for the times, the company fights tooth and nail to hold itself back.
The R.S. Hughes Experience
Receiver/Dock Associate (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIJuly 2, 2015
I am a current employee at the R.S. Hughes company and I am proud to say that it is an exceptional place to work.I am pleased to say that I have an extraordinary manager who allows me space and time for not only the tasks at hand, but personal creativity.A typical work day is simply ensuring that all UPS and Fed Ex is received and properly observed and that all purchased product is prepared for shipment by the end of the day.R.S. prides itself on being a global distributor of industrial products like adhesives,lubricants,single & double side tape,etc.I previously had no experience in this field and I basically learned about the purposes of all the products and some valuable nuggets about the corporate structure.I only have two co workers at the Milwaukee branch,my supervisor and his assistant and I have nothing but praise for their patience, understanding, and advice.The job is not stressful at all and fortunately for me,I have a strong work ethic as evidence that there should be no concerns in the warehouse.
Pros
Creative Freedom
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R.S. Hughes Company, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about