R1 RCM Employee Reviews

Don't do it
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2018
These people must have bought Accretive health out. We were laid off because the powers that be, had no clue how to run a real business. I never unpacked my belongings as I was waiting for the day the feds would march in and shut down the entire operation.
need a 2nd JOB
Patient Follow-up Analyst (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 1, 2018
Great company but pay is not good. not enough to live off of. Plus they have India working people and they don't know absolutely anything. which makes others jobs that much harder.
Pros
learn alot, flex time
Cons
will need a 2nd job, pay is not enough
Poor Management on all levels
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 22, 2018
This company would be a better place to work. If the poor levels of Management would let everyone do what they were hired to do. Management rather bully and manage their employees from emails. When they have no clue of the day to day activities because they claim to have so many important meetings. Don't let someone with a title complain about issues in a department. Then, they will work with them to make their own employees look bad vs having their employees backs. After, the complaint they'll take time to come up with new processes and procedures to follow to put a bandaid on the clients issue. Where were these processes and procedures when people are hired. They should be in place from day 1 and not at management discretion. Management on all levels especially Upper Management are very disrespect to everyone including mid level management unless you're in the cliques. Otherwise you slave like a dog in every position and as long as you make Upper Management and mid management look good they have no problem with you. Worse company I have ever work for. Let this application be the last you fill out. Unless your unemployment benefits are about to stop!!!
Pros
Its a paycheck most times
Cons
Poor upper managment, lack of communication, and no loyalty
High turnover rate & poor management
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2018
R1 took over our company and I should have quit when I had the chance. The company demands tons of new systems to use, but the systems don’t work half of the time. Our department is always understaffed and managers don’t care. They rather for the employees to drown. Certain pay rates were promises but never received. Overall this company has been a bad company to work for and has been considering they had to change their name to make this look good. Benefits are expensive and HR can’t contact right away, and if they bother, it would be through email. If you resign, you’ll have to wait 3-10 business days to receive a paper check. You’d think since we have bills they’d be considerate.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Poor management, operation, HR support
Unable to give review
Hospital Billing (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTApril 16, 2018
I am new to the company but not by choice. There were some positives at first but now it seems there is no management direction. The hiring process is slow and there is no training for new employees in place.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Management
Pretty good job for wichita
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 31, 2018
I work in a call center doing scheduling. I used to work for via christi, but R1 bought our company out. They raised our pay by 50 cents so it’s nice that our new company values us a little more. They are a new company so it seems like they are working out a lot of kinks but I think they have good intentions and as they grow, they will be more and more gracious with pay and benefits.
Deceitful
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 29, 2018
Whole transition period was awful. When told my job staying was due to it being specific they than completely changed my job role. Loved the original company benefits and set up. They fired tons on team to only hire new people in another state with no experience to do the job.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No breaks. Expensive benefits
Horrible management
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIMarch 28, 2018
They only care about the money not their employees or patient care. Their upper management never addressed issues brought to their attention. Just brushed under the rug. They never come around in the department. They lie to their employees.
Pros
Cons
They will work you to death
Good benefits, fair work practises. Poor management.
Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  MichiganMarch 19, 2018
This type of work is very fast paced with a high turnover rate.I was employed as a billing specialist for about 8 months, it was a good place to work after finishing school. There are no workplace culture and very little advancement options. The overall feel is that managers only care about stats and numbers. I don't believe they were trained to help the employees grow and develop in their positions. Lots of team dysfunctions, no work culture at all. Good pay and benefits though, I would say, little above market average. A good place to get some experience, or to work while going to school or as a part-time job, don't plan on sticking around.
Pros
Good pay. Good benefits. Some flexibility
Cons
Awful management. No team culture. Lot's of office politics.
WC Follow-up
WC Foolow-up (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIMarch 19, 2018
This was one of the most disappointing jobs I have ever had. Management did not train us properly so we were told to go to the W drive and find instructions. So I did because I am a motivated person. With this being said they told us this company is all about profit and not about employees at all. My dad is not doing well and I had a court case for an individual that was in a bad car accident and I was told I would be disciplined, even thought I had court papers. So with this being said 3 people have left the WC department! Which by the way were great individuals and it was in two months as well as I. My suggestion is to treat people like human beings and not a dollar amount. I have never been so disappointed in my life and will not utilize Wheaton as my healthcare plan at all.

Thank you for your time.
Horrible
Cash reconciliation (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 3, 2018
Hard company to work for. No one is happy. Job security doesn’t exist. Via Christi billing department lost 70 people when R1 took over. So people are incredibly overworked and unhappy.
Benefits
Cons
Poor training
A job not a career
Patient Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2018
Ok company to work for but not really establish a career. Lack of employee appreciation shows how little you appreciate your clients. Higher compensation and more diverse advancement opportunites would help tremendously. Great people poor leadership.
Pros
Family enviorment
Cons
limited advancement opportunity
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 12, 2018
This had to be one of the worst managed companies I have ever had the displeasure to work for in my life. Constant flip flopping, advancement of employees with no regard for HR guidelines.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lack of training, high expectations with little guidance
Company re-located to Detroit so had to find new employment
Reimbursement Specialist, Revenue Cycle Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2018
The company managers gave us a 90 day notice informing us that they were moving and relocating to Detroit and that we were to look for a new place to work if we wanted to stay in the Chicago area.
Pros
Occasional lunches hosted by the company
Cons
None that comes to mind
They over work you and under pay you
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
R1 has just taken over in our revenue cycle department. This has been the most stressful, uninformative, deceitful transition I have ever been apart of. My department is now failing because of the lack of structure and knowledge r1 has provided.
Pros
None the transition has been terrible
Cons
Low wages, total lack of diversity in upper management, no one listens to your concerns, benefits are super expensive and much much more
Good not great
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 5, 2018
Good:
Great place to start off a career
Lots of learning potential
Strict management
Hard work environment

Bad:
Little to no development
Virtually no opportunity for advancement
Poor management
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
Great atmosphere, good pay and lots of PTO. Many intelligent folks working here and very collaborative work styles which allow newer members of the workforce to learn a lot.
no comment
Patient Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 28, 2018
Team goal oriented. Pleasant work environment. Family feel atmosphere. Open door policy with management. Coaching and follow up for maximum Quality Assurance.
Poor management
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 14, 2018
This place is awful nothing but a bunch of uncle toms that over work you. Don't actually appreciate the work you do. Management is the worst they harasse you. There is no job security here they will get rid of you over he say she say without doing a proper investigation. Human resources never get back with you ever. Only thing that was good was the pay & vacation/sick time.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short break no work life balance bad management
It was okay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 10, 2018
Was there through a temp agency was only there nine months, and not been hired in by the company, the two team leads were okay but not professional when there was a supervisor call one particular would stand up and talk to the other rolling her neck as if it shouldn't be taken and the other shift lead would huff and puff and as if she did not want to be there, I think hiring of team leads should be someone with experience and not within the company because they forget they also started at the bottom

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

1.8Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight