R1 RCM Employee Reviews

Featured review
R1 RCM selected this as a representative review
Awesome place to work!
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2019
R1 is a great place to work for many different reasons. It is a team oriented environment with great people working together where you have the opportunity to learn and advance with the company. The company is also expanding rapidly, so it's a great time to be with R1!
Pros
Work life balance, solid benefits, advancement opportunities, great office space/location
would not reccomend
SENIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE REP R1RCM (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 22, 2019
The role is pretty much the same everyday, there is no room for advancement, your're pretty much not allowed to interview for other departments, management is horrible, you're pretty much told how to use your pto time, would not reccomend applying here.
N/a
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTMarch 21, 2019
R1 was a decent place to work. Not very cooperative with your needs as an employee or didn't listen very well to advancement offers. Overall I give it a 6 out of 10.
Pre reg
Pre-Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMarch 21, 2019
Incoming and outgoing calls you had to meet a quota but not all calls were included favortism was horrible claimed to be family oriented but this is most definately a lie
Pros
Work from home
Great Company
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTMarch 19, 2019
Very good to the employees. Good benefits and vacation time off. Transition from IHC in April 2018, and was handled very well by R1. Would work for the company again if I have the chance!
Worst decision I’ve ever made!
Revenue Cycle Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 14, 2019
This was the absolute worst place I’ve ever worked! From the first day, I didn’t know who my supervisor was, Training is non existent. You can’t get help because it’s the blind leading the blind. Your opinion doesn’t matter unless you’re from BSO. You are cleaning up the BSO mess as well, everyone walks around looking miserable.
Pros
The pay is good
Cons
You have to train yourself, leadership knows nothing
Terrible
FC Associate I (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 12, 2019
Supervisors show favoritism with their friends .
Preach culture and teamwork BUT change expectation constantly! Force you to waste your time fixing things that their system can’t do properly ! Do not want any suggestions. Terrible patient interaction,
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Supervisor and management
excellent product
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 7, 2019
need more room for advancement, a good place to work from home. The culture was good, management was understanding, coworkers were kind, working from home was great
Pros
management
Cons
advancement
Awful just awful company
Medical Records (Current Employee) –  AlabamaMarch 6, 2019
The training received was bad, The fellow co-workers are loud, obnoxious, verbally abusive and very hostile, and lazy. No chance for advancement. They will try to low ball you on pay. Management turns a blind eye to the blatant harassment. The health insurance is extremely high. My first day there I walked into the office and the ROI lady rolls her eyes at me and ignored me, I had to knock on the glass window for her to help me otherwise I would have been late on my first day. I believe she thought I was a patient, as opposed to a new employee. If you need help from the HR department, they do not respond. When they are supposed to within 48 hours. Even if you call and leave a message with the HR liaison for your division....they ignore you. I say if you like drama, and an unorganized stressful place to work this is the company for you....other than that I dont think I would tell my worst enemy to work for this company.
Pros
Being employed instead of unemployed
Cons
No advancement opportunities, health insurance, poor work environment
Not a job if you like to help people
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 5, 2019
I was able to telecommute from home with computer provided. They do not pay for your internet. You have to meet rate or you have meetings, which are not followed through as promised. Be careful if you spend too much time with a patient trying to help, but on the other hand if you are too short with a patient trying to help but not spend too much time and the customer gives you a bad review, you also get talked to. The training was horrible. We sat at home for a week expected to go through the training modules on our own and no communication whatsoever with any of the management/training personnel because our trainer went on vacation!
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
Not good if you don't make your patient rate per hour
Not the best company
Patient Access Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 3, 2019
Poor Management, also playing the favoritism role. My typical day was ok, but they never respected my end of shift if they wanted me to stay extra due to an absent employee, when I had to pick up my kids.
Pros
Salary
Cons
This was a great job for remote job
Revenue Integrity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 2, 2019
Remote job opportunities. Provided options to work remotely. But does need better training methods most most job is in the job learning, management does provide some help
Favoritism, lies, and messy
Patient Access Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 28, 2019
Broken promises. Management is the worse! This company will never be a great place to work until they remove ALL management. They suck and they lie all the time. You can’t trust management. My best advice is to not make friends here. Management and co workers will befriend you just to try to get you fired. Management never apologize for mistakes and broken promise. If you complain to hr about being mistreated they will fire you! Crooked company they will even pay you to keep quite about how things are run. They lie about pay, health insurance is extremely expensive, management is always having relations with co workers, computer system barely works, and high turnover rate. This job is for older people! Management is threatened by young adults. Never get to know anyone at this job and you will be fine.
Pros
Pays ok dental insurance is ok
Cons
Very angry place to work
Patient Financial Advocate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 27, 2019
The current employees were jealous because the new hires were brought in. Management was very unstable.There were not enough calls to keep everyone busy.
very poor management
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2019
very steady paced, management very unprofessional, some teamwork but not a lot, customer service is slime to none, to much gossiping and drama no leadership
Pros
patients are friendly
Cons
short staffed
Easy but repetitive
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Owasso, OKFebruary 24, 2019
This is a fairly easy job but, for the amount of work the pay should be more. They are continuously adding more layers for the registrars to do. We don’t have that much time but they expect the work to be done. If you call in and you don’t have any vacation days you will get written up. If you do have vacation days and you call in you will get written up (even if you have a doctors note) so don’t get sick! Benefits are good if you use their subsidy program other than that they will be expensive. No room for advancement. You will be stuck in the same position until you leave..
Pros
Health benefits, Pto, holidays and holiday pay, good working hours
Cons
Short breaks, no career advancement, no merit based raises
India's billing is making csu hard
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 19, 2019
I transition from Billing to customer service because my job went to India. Immediately we were told that we would be on a set schedule. The only good thing is we got to keep our pay. Our training in the department was nowhere near compared what a new hire would get even though we were going to be working in a totally different environment and billing system. I get so many calls from unhappy patients that are being billed either incorrectly (due to incorrect adjustments made from India billing team) or we billed to wrong insurance and I guess India does not do research before sending a balance to patient to try and work the account to the best of their ability. I also think this is the lack of education from R1 employees that work as patient access workers that register and load insurance. The company is all about money and we were just told that we cannot take certain days off even though we have the time. We actual have a "bidding" system that was just implemented by the supervisor that works in the department that is new to it and has never worked in a health care environment before and our time has to be requested in quarters. It is literally the slummiest system I have ever heard of. We also do not have sick time either. The supervisor did not pass any of the tests in training (she was in training with me) and she also is not trained to take calls. She gets paid to micro manage the department's time. I never know when I will have a day off and constantly have to check and see. We have black out days now that do not allow us to take time off a day after paid holidays, making  more... it impossible for anyone to be out of town to see family as most people do around holidays. The employee handbook for 2019 has not been released yet they keep implementing all these standards of processes to the department on what rules we should follow and things for us to do. There is no upkeep on the standards of the actual work we do. Patients are going into collections because as billers, we are not to drop claims to insurance even when the patient calls to provide it to us when they get a bill. We are to send it to a back-office team that is 3 months behind that puts the patient in collections and they act as though it is no big deal. I am so upset that I am constantly battling getting straight answers and time off for a medical condition and HR is absolutely no help. If you are an experienced professional searching for a job in the medical industry, please avoid this job at all costs. There is no one that will listen to you, your ideas, help you grow. You will simply be asked to sit in a seat and fulfilled a limited duty of answering calls or billing claims behind an India office that knows nothing of American Healthcare or practices. I cannot believe Ascension sold their business to this company. This is R1’s first contract with a healthcare company, they are purely revenue based and recently acquired another company called Intermedix in May 2018 with the money saved by moving probably more than half of their jobs to India. If you go to Ascension for healthcare, please make sure your providers office has your current insurance information or make sure that they do their own billing and get a patient portal to keep track. The time you will spend on the phone waiting to speak with CSU and the turnaround time it takes to get your issues resolved are really not anything any patient (be they are sickly or not) should have to deal with. I do not enjoy anything about this position. I am currently looking elsewhere, and I believe they do not value their employees over the dollar. They will say anything to get you through their doors. Oh, we also have no where to take breaks either !  less
Cons
Robotic like expectations from associates
ePars Coding Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2019
Not enough associates for the work being asked. All about the bottom line, no human factor in the way the company is run. Hard to create/maintain a work/life balance due to the amount of work/projects/expectations and short deadlines.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Listed in my review. Also the health insurance leaves a lot to be desired, but at least it's offered.
At-Will company
Credit Associate/ Mailroom Associate (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 10, 2019
A typical day is stressful, especially when your Managers are micromanagers. No freedom for you to bloom or have your full potential tapped into. The Managers are young and inexperienced.
Pros
lots of free food
Cons
not worth it when you consider the micro- management
Management is the worst
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2019
They micro manage like crazy. For what they pay it is not worth the stress. They will write you up and reprimand you for making the tiniest mistake instead of using it as an opportunity to learn and grow. Their PTO and attendance policy is by far the worst I have ever seen. You don't get any sick days!!! If you get sick and call out it counts against you!. Yet we work in a hospital with germs everywhere.
If you request PTO they wont approve it unless YOU can get it covered so at the end of the year you have all this PTO stored up And R1 DOES NOT pay you out for unused PTO or let it roll over so you just lose it.
You have to buy your uniform and its very cheap and ugly. Most companies pay for at least one shirt. Very strict over the top policies around attendance that don't allow for a good work life balance. No upward feedback. Essentially your boss can bully you and there is nothing you can do about it. HR is extremely unresponsive in general.
Horrible company to work for.
Pros
co workers- has nothing to do with the company
Cons
PTO- not approved ever, NO sick days, Micro managed, Stressful
Back-stabbing management
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTJanuary 29, 2019
Don't work for R1 RCM. The management will tell you it's okay to work a certain way, and another manager will tell you different. They will do anything they can to get production done, and it will cost you your job. If you work through the temp service, make sure you understand your contract, because they will tell you it's okay to work OT, when it really isn't and they will have the temp service fire you FOR APPROVED OT. They boast about honesty, integrity, and having outstanding morals, it's all a ruse. They will lie straight to your face and never tell you the truth. I regret working for R1 RCM, I wish I took another job offer instead. All I wanted was an honest company to work for, the way the management and higher ups are, there is no honesty. They are also outsourcing most work to India. You will spend most your time correcting their mistakes. It's all about making the most money for them.
Pros
Flex schedule, no weekends, pay
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight