R1 RCM Employee Reviews

The work is boring and very repetitious
Medical Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 22, 2018
Continuous work not allowed to talk to much. I have learned that it would be better to get a job any where else. My manager is not a people person. The work place culture is QUIET, so quiet that a person from IT came to fix the computer and his comment was "you all don't talk?" We wait until management has left for the day and then we feel free to talk. My 2 friends that work on the afternoon shift.When they come in i'm sure to have a few laughs. that is the most enjoyable part of my day because my shift is over and i feel free to talk a bit.
Pros
There is a large cafeteria where you can get a change of atmosphere
Cons
The work is very monotonous, boring
Please Listen
Precertification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 30, 2018
I loved my job at Ascension working precert, but then R1 came in. It went from being about the patients to being about the money. The higher ups would never acknowledge when we (many people in the office building) asked a question and when they did, they would talk down to us and belittle us. They allow 4 sick days a year, with anymore being write ups, and do not accept doctors notes. Vacation time and sick time come from the same bucket. So if you call in, you're using your vacation time. When Ascension brought over R1, most of the people in the department were making 14/hour and then they raised the trainees, no experience, to 16+. What did they do to even out the paying field? They gave us a 7, let me repeat, 7 cent raise and told us that we have to wait a year and a half for the chance to see if we would get a raise. If you're in it for the patients, do not work for them. If you want money and to be constantly talked down and and in constant fear of them sending your job overseas, they're the perfect place for you.
Pros
Maybe medical
Cons
Work is being shipped to India
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 17, 2018
Be very cautious with excepting a position with this company they are shipping a big bulk of the work to India, they are putting employees on performance reviews while you see all these Indian names training for months which is not the norm to be training for so long which I feel they want to get rid of the employees currently and give the jobs to India, obviously cheaper labor! the benefits are crazy expensive and you get very little vacation pay and it’s combined with sick pay that you can’t roll over you lose it if you don’t use it by year end but mind you it’s hard to even take vacation. This has to be the worst mistake Ascension has made by outsourcing all of the revenue cycle to this company needless to say many workers are leaving and some are just getting fired for stupid reasons but keep training those Indian workers for months it’s clear they don’t know what they are doing! but I can only imagine how much they are making probably pennies on the dollar! Stay away from this company, decide to work here and you will regret it!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
The whole company is trash
Great learning opportunity but little to no room for growth/advancement
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 16, 2018
The job itself is simple and enjoyable. Management is terrible. They bend the rules for certain employees while others must abide by them. "It's not what you know but who you know." Hard work goes unnoticed while not following policies/procedures goes unpunished. On the job training is inadequate. Management never gives the same answer twice to the questions you have. None of them know what is really the correct answer to your questions. Good luck getting an issue or a time of request addressed. Benefits are better than most companies but are more expensive than most. The pay is better than most comperable employers.
Pros
Decent Benefits
Cons
Terrible Management
Good benefits, fair work practises. Poor management.
Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  MichiganMarch 19, 2018
This type of work is very fast paced with a high turnover rate.I was employed as a billing specialist for about 8 months, it was a good place to work after finishing school. There are no workplace culture and very little advancement options. The overall feel is that managers only care about stats and numbers. I don't believe they were trained to help the employees grow and develop in their positions. Lots of team dysfunctions, no work culture at all. Good pay and benefits though, I would say, little above market average. A good place to get some experience, or to work while going to school or as a part-time job, don't plan on sticking around.
Pros
Good pay. Good benefits. Some flexibility
Cons
Awful management. No team culture. Lot's of office politics.
You will be miserable
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI 49007November 11, 2018
Management has no idea what they are doing. Constantly pointing the finger or passing the buck to someone else. They play favorites. They say they care about their employees, but when carp hits fan they only care about you being at work. Regardless if you or a child is sick, if your car breaks down, if there is a death to a relative or close family friend. It's stressful and an unjust work environment.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else.
Billing- Business Analyst-Operations (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIOctober 30, 2018
Great place to work and advance if you put in the hours. Long hours , Long days. Competitive Salary and Benefits. Company paid holidays with time off.
Pros
Compensations
Cons
Hours
Do not work here...
PFSS Follow Up Analyst (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 30, 2018
At first it seemed great, but you quickly find out management is not very knowledgeable. Management loves to pass their work on to you. There is no recognition for doing a job well done.
The pay is good, but the healthcare benefits are too expensive.
Productivity is quantity over quality. I was exceptional at my job but did not always meet productivity; there were too many hands dipping into the accounts (India). I would follow up on denied hospital claims and get them resolved/paid. They really do not care about how much revenue you are bringing in to the company.
There is a very high turnover. And for good reason. The company is too top heavy with Management and all will give you a different answer to the same question. I had 3 managers for my group plus 3 more managers above them. Human resources is useless. Your issue will go unanswered.
The dress code is never enforced. Be prepared for what you will see with employees. You will see way, way, too much.
My immediate co-workers were wonderful. I worked with a great group that had a great sense of humor and we all helped each other out. They were the only reason I stayed as long as I did.
Pros
1 hour lunch (with no extra breaks), set schedule, Half hour flex start time
Cons
Expensive Health Benefits, Management, No job security
Poor Leadership, Vague Information, Excessive Micromanagement
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 4, 2018
I am part of the large (2300+) group of employees outsourced by Intermountain Healthcare to R1 RCM. From the moment the annoucement was made, leadership at both R1 and IHC have purposefully withheld information regarding the expected changes, reneged on promises that were made, and flip flopped regarding PTO policies, leaving entire departments of people with no available PTO as we head into the flu season. Medical deductibles and out of pocket amounts DOUBLED during open enrollment with no forewarning from leadership. There is little to no room for advancement, employees outside of HQ in Chicago and India feel disconnected and forgotten, and the levels of micromanagement have increased to unsustainable levels. Despite press that states that 90% of employees accepted an offer with R1 at the time of transition, since that time (April 2018) I have witnessed over a 40% turnover in our department.

Employee morale is at an all-time low, management seems to only care about maintaining their own positions, and expectations for the future are low.

RUN, don't walk from R1. You can do better. Healthcare SHOULD do better.
Pros
Good PTO
Cons
Micro management, no room for advancement, poor leadership
Unfair/Disorganized/stressful
Worker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJuly 11, 2018
The company is full of drama. If the upper management do not like you they will get you out of there. The company is full of gossip. I've seen several leaders such as, VP, Directors, Supervisors and agents leave. It's not made for long term. The supervisors are not supportive they want you up do as they say. If you don't follow their rules which are not apart of the company's policy they will be sure you get fired. It's a very unhappy place to work. They have the wrong people in place for leadership.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything except the pay
Stressful place to work with poor management and morale
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 5, 2018
Management has no idea what they're doing. They tell you one thing to make you happy for the moment and when time to deliver it doesnt happen. They're beyond dysfunctional. They only care about money collections even though it doesnt go into their pockets it goes into the hospital who hired them. For the amount of things you do on a day to day basis they dont train you long enough. You have a lot of pressure on your shoulders and they make sure you know it. Unless you work better stressed they're not the company for you. I wouldn't recommend them unless it's a last resort for employment. It's great on the outside looking in but once your in you find your whole life morale will deteriorate.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, training, hours
High turnover rate & poor management
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2018
R1 took over our company and I should have quit when I had the chance. The company demands tons of new systems to use, but the systems don’t work half of the time. Our department is always understaffed and managers don’t care. They rather for the employees to drown. Certain pay rates were promises but never received. Overall this company has been a bad company to work for and has been considering they had to change their name to make this look good. Benefits are expensive and HR can’t contact right away, and if they bother, it would be through email. If you resign, you’ll have to wait 3-10 business days to receive a paper check. You’d think since we have bills they’d be considerate.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Poor management, operation, HR support
National Organization that doesn't care about employees
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WINovember 7, 2018
R1 RCM took over Ascension; they began by telling one department they were hiring them on - gave out benefit enrollment, wage information, transition dates, etc. Just to tell 120+ employees last minute that they would be out of a job as they were sending it all over seas to India (mind you these are you medical claims that are being reviewed IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!). They actually decided to keep another department after stringing them along for 8 months, not knowing if they would have a job or not. They're policies are complete BS and it makes taking any sick days or PTO (which are the same thing since you DON'T get sick days) nearly impossible and you cannot carry over any PTO. The direct supervisors/managers are amazing but anyone over them is only in it for themselves. They care about quantity work and not quality work - employees are pushed to get so much work done in a day that they end up doing it incorrectly just to meet the required #'s in a day.
Pros
Cons
Expensive benefits, low pay, and terrible PTO policies
Could be better
Patient Financial Advocate (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 25, 2018
Compensation is ok. When I decided to leave, management made promises that I was not sure they were willing to keep. Others were promoted without putting in the work.
benefits
Cons
no advancement opportunities until you say you're leaving
Beware
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  UtahNovember 4, 2018
This company has no rhyme or reason in doing things. They put pressure to plug one hole while another hole gets bigger. They don’t put in the effort to fix the issue at hand. They send a lot of work to India and the work being done there is terrible and it comes back to us to clean up and work. The work shouldn’t have even been sent over to them. Try to get a response from senior management is nearly impossible and is very frustrating. Local management is decent.
Pros
PTO is fair
Cons
Attendance policy is tough
Boonville indiana has cut throat employees
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boonville, INAugust 24, 2018
Team leader and employees refuse to train, they used fowl words and disrespectful to others. One female employee called other females Dude! she gossiped to others causing lots of drama and not doing her job. The 3 employees including team leader are friends in a click. Sad to see a company come in and cause so much trouble and still there. I read the reviews before taking the job and I wished I would of never took position. No management there to help.
Pros
Cons
Bad place to work
Good Pay, Bad Management
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 22, 2018
Managers are extremely unprofessional and disorganized. They do not communicate about job responsibilities and seemingly make up rules whenever they feel like it. They are dismissive and do not take complaints from workers seriously. There is also a lot of favoritism, and people who have zero management skills are promoted to higher positions. It is an endless cycle of poor management.
A reasonably nice place to work
Supervisor CBO/BSO Billing Teams (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 24, 2018
I don't agree with all of their policies, but I do agree with most. The people are friendly, and the company invests in its employees with onsite training, offsite training, and developmental needs.
Pros
company provided and paid training and educational development
Cons
Long hours, not always as transparent as stated, expect salaried people to "make up their time"
Stressful Physician Advisor Position
Physician Advisor (Former Employee) –  RemoteJuly 2, 2018
Only physician advisor company I've ever encountered what penalizes you if they don't have work during your shift. You "owe" them hours back at the end of the month, despite being available during your shift when there was no work. Their scheduling process is chaotic and takes about 1-2 hours each month just to schedule your hours. Very unorganized training process and benefits are only available for full-timers. Part-timers get a very low hourly rate when compared to other companies.
Pros
Remote
Cons
Low hourly rate compared to other companies
Not the best yet
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 29, 2018
R1 used to be Accretive Health. Look up cases on Accretive Health. R1 is growing, but they keep outsourcing to India. If you work hard, they will recognize you, but you will then get swamped and expected to stay longer than your hours, without getting the pay for it. Micro managing happens. If you need to take a sick day, pto, or a leave, watch out.
Pros
Not enough
Cons
Where do we begin

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight