R1 RCM Employee Reviews in Kalamazoo, MI

Featured review
R1 RCM selected this as a representative review
Awesome place to work!
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2019
R1 is a great place to work for many different reasons. It is a team oriented environment with great people working together where you have the opportunity to learn and advance with the company. The company is also expanding rapidly, so it's a great time to be with R1!
Pros
Work life balance, solid benefits, advancement opportunities, great office space/location
Stressful
Pre-Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 11, 2019
I’ve been at r1 for almost a year now and since then the communication has been terrible. You never get the same answer twice, everything is always changing but no one ever tells you about the updates. The supervisors are condescending when you ask any questions and they get upset when you take too many bathroom breaks. (If I gotta go, I gotta go!) The only time you get praised is if you collect over $1,000. Overall not my favorite place to work and it’s very stressful. They care more about money than the employees.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management
Not a job if you like to help people
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 5, 2019
I was able to telecommute from home with computer provided. They do not pay for your internet. You have to meet rate or you have meetings, which are not followed through as promised. Be careful if you spend too much time with a patient trying to help, but on the other hand if you are too short with a patient trying to help but not spend too much time and the customer gives you a bad review, you also get talked to. The training was horrible. We sat at home for a week expected to go through the training modules on our own and no communication whatsoever with any of the management/training personnel because our trainer went on vacation!
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
Not good if you don't make your patient rate per hour
Favoritism, lies, and messy
Patient Access Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 28, 2019
Broken promises. Management is the worse! This company will never be a great place to work until they remove ALL management. They suck and they lie all the time. You can’t trust management. My best advice is to not make friends here. Management and co workers will befriend you just to try to get you fired. Management never apologize for mistakes and broken promise. If you complain to hr about being mistreated they will fire you! Crooked company they will even pay you to keep quite about how things are run. They lie about pay, health insurance is extremely expensive, management is always having relations with co workers, computer system barely works, and high turnover rate. This job is for older people! Management is threatened by young adults. Never get to know anyone at this job and you will be fine.
Pros
Pays ok dental insurance is ok
Cons
Very angry place to work
Patient Financial Advocate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 27, 2019
The current employees were jealous because the new hires were brought in. Management was very unstable.There were not enough calls to keep everyone busy.
A good place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 4, 2018
It was a good place to work. Unfortunately I was getting burned out on the high volume of calls and should have been proactive to find another position there instead of leaving.
Pros
Fun events, collaborative teams
Cons
Paying for parking downtown
Nice work environment
ADMINSTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MNovember 13, 2018
I enjoyed my time there, sad to have had to go. Company always showed that they appreciated our work by purchasing lunch from time to time and planning other bonding activities
You will be miserable
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI 49007November 11, 2018
Management has no idea what they are doing. Constantly pointing the finger or passing the buck to someone else. They play favorites. They say they care about their employees, but when carp hits fan they only care about you being at work. Regardless if you or a child is sick, if your car breaks down, if there is a death to a relative or close family friend. It's stressful and an unjust work environment.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else.
Stressful place to work with poor management and morale
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 5, 2018
Management has no idea what they're doing. They tell you one thing to make you happy for the moment and when time to deliver it doesnt happen. They're beyond dysfunctional. They only care about money collections even though it doesnt go into their pockets it goes into the hospital who hired them. For the amount of things you do on a day to day basis they dont train you long enough. You have a lot of pressure on your shoulders and they make sure you know it. Unless you work better stressed they're not the company for you. I wouldn't recommend them unless it's a last resort for employment. It's great on the outside looking in but once your in you find your whole life morale will deteriorate.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, training, hours
trash company
rep (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 1, 2018
Absolute garbage people to work for. Only care about their financial bottom line, absolutely nothing about the people who build it. They preach but do not follow their own mission statement.
Pros
Cons
all
Good Pay, Bad Management
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 22, 2018
Managers are extremely unprofessional and disorganized. They do not communicate about job responsibilities and seemingly make up rules whenever they feel like it. They are dismissive and do not take complaints from workers seriously. There is also a lot of favoritism, and people who have zero management skills are promoted to higher positions. It is an endless cycle of poor management.
Poor leadership.
Pre Registration (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 5, 2018
Supervisors need to have some background in what they’re supervising or some background in leadership period! If team members felt like they could actually talk to their supervisors or ask for help when need be, the turnover rate wouldn’t be so high. The supervisors hold such high expect jobs for their employees yet we go WEEKS without hearing back from team supervisors. PTO is always messed up, loosing a lot or not receiving the hours we worked for. Not appreciation towards us, what so ever. It’s hard to work for a supervisor who won’t smile at us, talk back, act interested in us or acknowledge us. We’re on the phones all day yet get marked down as if we are in school if we are late to our lunch or breaks.
Pros
Pay
Not very appreciative
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 11, 2018
I worked here for 7 months and was trained for 3 different jobs. They never let me get used to one job before throwing me somewhere else. They never gave me time to catch on. I went from $15 an hour to $13 an hour. All because they have other employees that did not want to work on something different. They wanted the easiest job. So they say you are doing bad and complain until you are moved. This place made my anxiety and stress very high. Always on your back instead of leaving you alone to get better at your job.
Pros
a lot of food
Cons
pot lucks
R1 rcm
Patient Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 10, 2018
It is very quick paced and keeps you on your feet. The overall job is easy, but when you add in the ER life where I worked in the company they should offer higher pay because you are doing the same job as everyone else but in a higher more intense environment with a lot more added onto your everyday jobs.
I don't recommend.
Pre-Registrar (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 29, 2018
There was too much playing about bonuses. Too many months where people hit the goals only to be denied the bonus with no real explanation other then the goal was changed later without notification.
Unorganized
Healthcare Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI 49007August 6, 2018
This company is very unorganized and provides no suitable leadership for the employees. No one is ever on the same page when it comes to getting the correct answer for the patient.
Pros
Cons
Pay is not good and horrible insurance. Parking is on the street.
A company with zero vision and poor culture
Senior IT Training Lead (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 26, 2018
Extremely poor leadership. They choose leaders based on who is friends with whom. Job performance is only relevant to the lowest level workers. To move up past a basic manager position one spends far more time and energy focusing on building relationships of higher ups instead of the work itself getting done. The higher up one goes the more nepotism happens. Leadership knows they have a culture problem and ask for transparency and help, yet they punish those that actively try to make the culture better and try to help.
Pros
Some good co-workers
Cons
No vision, poor leadership
Nice place for a call center
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 5, 2018
I liked the job but I had to leave because it was a call center environment and that was not for me. For people who like that it's a great place to work and great people that help you every step of the way.
A job not a career
Patient Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2018
Ok company to work for but not really establish a career. Lack of employee appreciation shows how little you appreciate your clients. Higher compensation and more diverse advancement opportunites would help tremendously. Great people poor leadership.
Pros
Family enviorment
Cons
limited advancement opportunity
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 12, 2018
This had to be one of the worst managed companies I have ever had the displeasure to work for in my life. Constant flip flopping, advancement of employees with no regard for HR guidelines.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lack of training, high expectations with little guidance
Insurance billing
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 2, 2017
Great place to gain knowledge of insurance billing. Also a great place to work. There is a lot of growth and opportunity within the company. Managers are respectable and fair. Learned quite a bit in a fast pace work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight