R1 RCM Employee Reviews in Southfield, MI

Featured review
R1 RCM selected this as a representative review
Awesome place to work!
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2019
R1 is a great place to work for many different reasons. It is a team oriented environment with great people working together where you have the opportunity to learn and advance with the company. The company is also expanding rapidly, so it's a great time to be with R1!
Pros
Work life balance, solid benefits, advancement opportunities, great office space/location
It pays the bills
Patient Financial Advocate (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 29, 2019
Management was better than actual job. They have you stuvk in your seat all day on a dialer system where they watch your every move. It would be better if it were a incoming calls center.
Pros
Group meetings and food
Cons
Being on dialer
Productive and comfortable place to work
COB Follow Up Rep (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 28, 2019
I enjoy working at R1 RCM there is room to develop and grow with the company. The pay is good but the benefit are expensive other than that it is a great place to work. Leadership sits down with you and gather you goals and help you plan to reach you goal.
Never work here
Cash Poster (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 13, 2019
This is the worst place to work at. Training is terrible nobody really knows there job, they will fire you for no reason. The turnover rate is outrageous, but the pay is pretty good but not enough to deal with the stress. Leaving there was the best decision I made.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Can't eat at your desk. Have to punch out just to go downstairs to the store
Scary and unpredictable workplace
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 4, 2019
Most people who work there are always on pins and needles never knowing if they will have a job the next day. Employees come and go so quickly because management can be intimidating and demanding. The bottom line is the money, not you. You are not valued as a person there, only if you are producing large amounts of money for the company will you be rewarded.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management
Worst decision I’ve ever made!
Revenue Cycle Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 14, 2019
This was the absolute worst place I’ve ever worked! From the first day, I didn’t know who my supervisor was, Training is non existent. You can’t get help because it’s the blind leading the blind. Your opinion doesn’t matter unless you’re from BSO. You are cleaning up the BSO mess as well, everyone walks around looking miserable.
Pros
The pay is good
Cons
You have to train yourself, leadership knows nothing
At-Will company
Credit Associate/ Mailroom Associate (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 10, 2019
A typical day is stressful, especially when your Managers are micromanagers. No freedom for you to bloom or have your full potential tapped into. The Managers are young and inexperienced.
Pros
lots of free food
Cons
not worth it when you consider the micro- management
Potential to be a great company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 27, 2019
R1 has tremendous potential but falls short because of a lack of leadership, bad management and poor culture.

Leadership.
Culture. The company's core values are only words on paper and do not mean anything to leadership. Senior management stresses their importance but their actions say the expect opposite. Even worse, most management is not even aware of the conflicting message. Those that are aware lack the courage to say anything or to try to make improvements.

Typical work day: chaos.
-typically receive 300+ emails per day and have meeting scheduled 5+ hours per day. This leaves very little time to actually do any work.
-Bad (no) communication from senior management, no support (even when asking for help), conflicting instructions, no collaboration.

I have tried to take action and make process improvements and internal management improvements but nothing ever changes.

Why I am still here: money. I am actively searching for a new position while I continue to try to make improvements internally.
Pros
Pay
Cons
culture, work hours, management
Like to be watched? work here
Cash Posting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 14, 2019
I have never worked for such a micromanaged company, they pay great but at a horrible cost. You must account for every second of every day, but at the same time are pressured into taking part in Romper Room activities. Run away fast. You are a babysitter and clean up for the offshore team and you better do it right. Of the 18 people in my training "class" only 3 made it past one year, the place is a joke.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else and management
Don't Waste Your Time
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 8, 2018
The company has a very high turnover rate because of the lack of morale, poor management, and constant changes to day-to-day work as accounts are being sent to India. This would be okay if they knew what they were doing, but they don't despite months of training. Management is never available because they are always training the workers in India via videoconferencing. Despite multiple training sessions, training manuals/standard operating procedures, the Indian team continues to make the same mistakes and management doesn't do anything about it. All they do is make us fix their mistakes. Management is unorganized and will give you an assignment and make it "high priority" because they forgot to send it out when their boss gave it to them. Sometimes there is "mandatory overtime" which disrupts your life. Management has a "we've always done it this way" attitude, so while there is room for improvement in several processes, they aren't taken into consideration. And on the rare occasion that something is implemented, leadership will take credit for an idea that was presented by the staff. The pay is decent, when you are paid on time, but certainly not worth your peace of mind. Hard to get HR to respond and resolve issues. Most people are nice, but there is a handful of negative people who absolutely drain you. I am actively seeking employment elsewhere.
Pros
Pay, volunteering
Cons
Management, poor morale, unorganized, work being sent to India, Hr
Job is very sneaky and hires anyone
Senior Representative (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 27, 2018
Job micromanages, shift leads are not respected and leadership does not reinforces respect. Move seats around like crazy, no acknowledgement nor appreciation giving for hard work that is performed.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
micromanagement, unfairness and favoritism
Credits department is Unorganized and Unrealistic.
Credits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 2, 2018
R1 puts little effort into the Credits department.
I had zero training for my position and was held accountable for it.
Leadership does not worry about their employees.
Pros
Hour lunch.
Cons
Micromanaged. No training for position. Senior Leadership does not care about employee happiness.
Be careful deciding to work here
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 25, 2018
Poor training, poor guidance, lack of a team environment, management is disconnected, high turnover, company culture needs a lot of work, products and systems break down monthly, etc... There are a few good people that work here and those ones are loaded up with the work.
Run fast away
Cash Posting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 24, 2018
It’s not cash posting, you are a babysitter to the workers in India. They do the work and always mess it up but onshore gets the blame. Let’s just say I’m taking a $3.00 pay cut to leave.
Pros
Flex time, holidays, better medical than previous years
Cons
Everything else
A reasonably nice place to work
Supervisor CBO/BSO Billing Teams (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 24, 2018
I don't agree with all of their policies, but I do agree with most. The people are friendly, and the company invests in its employees with onsite training, offsite training, and developmental needs.
Pros
company provided and paid training and educational development
Cons
Long hours, not always as transparent as stated, expect salaried people to "make up their time"
OK place
Financial Assistance Advocate (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 21, 2018
The company is good environment and ready adopts latest technologies. I love the fact that I am a part of a team that support to increase the value and profits, give solution, analysis the data and fix the problems. Management is really good and understanding with them they never force for anything because we know our responsibility.Compensation is not good and also no good opportunities for growth. Mostly time they not notice how much I work done with in time line and also many extra team responsibility as like charts, team performance sheet, team production sheet maintain. I learn most of the time new work and give training to whole team. however Nothing. means entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. No professionalism.
Nice place to work
Medicare Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJuly 24, 2018
A typical day here is what you make it. You will work in a stressful environment and management are so busy and stressful most of the time and they pay very well.
Unfair/Disorganized/stressful
Worker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJuly 11, 2018
The company is full of drama. If the upper management do not like you they will get you out of there. The company is full of gossip. I've seen several leaders such as, VP, Directors, Supervisors and agents leave. It's not made for long term. The supervisors are not supportive they want you up do as they say. If you don't follow their rules which are not apart of the company's policy they will be sure you get fired. It's a very unhappy place to work. They have the wrong people in place for leadership.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything except the pay
Do not work here...
PFSS Follow Up Analyst (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 30, 2018
At first it seemed great, but you quickly find out management is not very knowledgeable. Management loves to pass their work on to you. There is no recognition for doing a job well done.
The pay is good, but the healthcare benefits are too expensive.
Productivity is quantity over quality. I was exceptional at my job but did not always meet productivity; there were too many hands dipping into the accounts (India). I would follow up on denied hospital claims and get them resolved/paid. They really do not care about how much revenue you are bringing in to the company.
There is a very high turnover. And for good reason. The company is too top heavy with Management and all will give you a different answer to the same question. I had 3 managers for my group plus 3 more managers above them. Human resources is useless. Your issue will go unanswered.
The dress code is never enforced. Be prepared for what you will see with employees. You will see way, way, too much.
My immediate co-workers were wonderful. I worked with a great group that had a great sense of humor and we all helped each other out. They were the only reason I stayed as long as I did.
Pros
1 hour lunch (with no extra breaks), set schedule, Half hour flex start time
Cons
Expensive Health Benefits, Management, No job security
Too many uncertainties
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 6, 2018
Management not experienced in the billing field and micro manages excessively! Also, she is very rude! R1 does have some perks, which includes wearing jeans and and tennis shoes everyday, flexibility is awesome and it's only 15 minutes from my home.
Good old boy network
Project Manager Transition and Transformation (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 5, 2018
If you do not fit into their culture (click) you will not last. The leaders are not trained in inspiring, developing and leading. They have little patience for learning curves especially if you are not part of there click.. .
Pros
Company is growing
Cons
They need to redefine job titles and responsibilities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight