R1 RCM Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Featured review
R1 RCM selected this as a representative review
Awesome place to work!
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2019
R1 is a great place to work for many different reasons. It is a team oriented environment with great people working together where you have the opportunity to learn and advance with the company. The company is also expanding rapidly, so it's a great time to be with R1!
Pros
Work life balance, solid benefits, advancement opportunities, great office space/location
Scary and unpredictable workplace
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 4, 2019
Most people who work there are always on pins and needles never knowing if they will have a job the next day. Employees come and go so quickly because management can be intimidating and demanding. The bottom line is the money, not you. You are not valued as a person there, only if you are producing large amounts of money for the company will you be rewarded.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management
India's billing is making csu hard
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 19, 2019
I transition from Billing to customer service because my job went to India. Immediately we were told that we would be on a set schedule. The only good thing is we got to keep our pay. Our training in the department was nowhere near compared what a new hire would get even though we were going to be working in a totally different environment and billing system. I get so many calls from unhappy patients that are being billed either incorrectly (due to incorrect adjustments made from India billing team) or we billed to wrong insurance and I guess India does not do research before sending a balance to patient to try and work the account to the best of their ability. I also think this is the lack of education from R1 employees that work as patient access workers that register and load insurance. The company is all about money and we were just told that we cannot take certain days off even though we have the time. We actual have a "bidding" system that was just implemented by the supervisor that works in the department that is new to it and has never worked in a health care environment before and our time has to be requested in quarters. It is literally the slummiest system I have ever heard of. We also do not have sick time either. The supervisor did not pass any of the tests in training (she was in training with me) and she also is not trained to take calls. She gets paid to micro manage the department's time. I never know when I will have a day off and constantly have to check and see. We have black out days now that do not allow us to take time off a day after paid holidays, making  more... it impossible for anyone to be out of town to see family as most people do around holidays. The employee handbook for 2019 has not been released yet they keep implementing all these standards of processes to the department on what rules we should follow and things for us to do. There is no upkeep on the standards of the actual work we do. Patients are going into collections because as billers, we are not to drop claims to insurance even when the patient calls to provide it to us when they get a bill. We are to send it to a back-office team that is 3 months behind that puts the patient in collections and they act as though it is no big deal. I am so upset that I am constantly battling getting straight answers and time off for a medical condition and HR is absolutely no help. If you are an experienced professional searching for a job in the medical industry, please avoid this job at all costs. There is no one that will listen to you, your ideas, help you grow. You will simply be asked to sit in a seat and fulfilled a limited duty of answering calls or billing claims behind an India office that knows nothing of American Healthcare or practices. I cannot believe Ascension sold their business to this company. This is R1’s first contract with a healthcare company, they are purely revenue based and recently acquired another company called Intermedix in May 2018 with the money saved by moving probably more than half of their jobs to India. If you go to Ascension for healthcare, please make sure your providers office has your current insurance information or make sure that they do their own billing and get a patient portal to keep track. The time you will spend on the phone waiting to speak with CSU and the turnaround time it takes to get your issues resolved are really not anything any patient (be they are sickly or not) should have to deal with. I do not enjoy anything about this position. I am currently looking elsewhere, and I believe they do not value their employees over the dollar. They will say anything to get you through their doors. Oh, we also have no where to take breaks either !  less
A good place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 4, 2018
It was a good place to work. Unfortunately I was getting burned out on the high volume of calls and should have been proactive to find another position there instead of leaving.
Pros
Fun events, collaborative teams
Cons
Paying for parking downtown
It was okay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 10, 2018
Was there through a temp agency was only there nine months, and not been hired in by the company, the two team leads were okay but not professional when there was a supervisor call one particular would stand up and talk to the other rolling her neck as if it shouldn't be taken and the other shift lead would huff and puff and as if she did not want to be there, I think hiring of team leads should be someone with experience and not within the company because they forget they also started at the bottom
Its okay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 27, 2017
Its okay. Not the best...yet not the worse. It is a great stepping stone if you are pursing other career choices. They do offer health, vision, dental, and 401K benefits.
Insurance billing
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 2, 2017
Great place to gain knowledge of insurance billing. Also a great place to work. There is a lot of growth and opportunity within the company. Managers are respectable and fair. Learned quite a bit in a fast pace work environment.
customer service and billing for hopsitals
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 4, 2017
talking on the phone to patients about their bills
learned about insurance and hospital policy's
very laid back
relaxing environment
management is very approachable
Not all its made up to be
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 12, 2017
I currently work at R1 and i'm looking for a new job as we speak. Management is horrible! They just talk about reps whenever they get the chance. Team Leads NEVER help. And when you ask for help, they ignore you or tell you to "use your reference book"... They'll literally nit pick every little thing... if you're "in" with the higher ups, you're fine, but if not... good luck. You'll get written up for the dumbest things.. not to mention when you think you're moving up, you get all the extra work but no extra pay as talked about.. lots of promises not kept. Oh, and when you go to a higher up about issues, they just blow it off. lots of drama drama drama.
Pros
your own cubicle.
Cons
drama, you have to pay for parking, 30 min lunch..
so-so
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 20, 2017
They are working on getting themselves together but too much negative change, and it is not a trusting environment. There are a few bad people there that put a black eye on the company culture.
Pros
nice office
Cons
culture needs to be fixed
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIJanuary 18, 2017
Company provides training to all employees. Everyone is recognized on their birthday. Company have picnics and different events throughout the year. Employee recognition.
Pros
busy company
Cons
Driving distance
Never work for this company.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 27, 2016
Bad management and the benefits are horrible. Even when you are at the top, it;s never enough, they add more responsibility but no increase in pay, Some of the employees are nice but they don;t work as a team. If you are liked you don't have to do nothing and if you aren't they work you to death. Death would have been better than working at this place most people quit as soon as they find a new job.This is just a short term job at best.
Pros
pay not the worst
Cons
Few breaks and the benefits aren't good..
great team
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2016
the best company to work with everyone is family. they have the best work schedule that fits perfect with your goals. The only thing with company is 20 min lunch break. thats not enough time.
Fast pace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 27, 2016
This is a company on the move ever changing and constant update. There is always something new going on at any given time. This is the company to be with if your up to working hard and fast and enjoy constant change.
Pros
Fixed schedules, Health Benefits, Dental Benefits, Casual dress code.
Cons
limits the time you have to address your house hold/family and everyday life
I enjoy what I do and working with a wonderful group of co-workers
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 30, 2015
Good place to work to jump start going into the health field. Management needs to be more transparent with employees regarding the direction of company. Management should support employees more. Overall not a terrible place to work.
Pros
Being able to assist those in need
Cons
Health Insurance is terrible, and employees are always in the dark regarding direction of company and changes with departments
very fast pace work environment
customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 10, 2015
Accretive is a high volume call center, fast paced work environment. Great management, lots of opportunities to move up in the company.
Good place to work for stepping stone
Customer Service, Admin - Clerical (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 18, 2015
My experience is good however there could be major changes with management. I love the people I work with they are all hard working men and women who strive for a better life.
Pros
Being able to help resolve patients problems
Cons
Employees have to pay for parking. Reviews for raises are not done in a timely fashion.
Accretive health review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2015
My typical day at work is taking calls all day from patients in regards to patienta billing. Trying to resolve questions on insurance payments, adjustments or lack there of. Balances left
for patients due to co-insurances, co-pays and deductibles.
Updating insurances, coordination of benefits and demographic information. Trying to resolve take backs from insurance companies and effectively explain these to the patients. The most challenging thing I have learned with this company is insurance billing and the many inner workings it has.

My thoughts on management are limited, this is only because there is an extreme turn over in this area. I have been with the company 7 months and have had 5 supervisors in this time. I have worked well with 3 and liked them the other two have come and went so quickly, I am not sure what to input to have. This would stand to be true with the co-workers, however, the employees who have maintained employment I have a good work relationship with, a few I also have a social one with.

The most challenging part of my job, is the metric set for calls. We have a goal to set. I have been told that my strongest attribute is also what holds me just short from acheiving what they set. My attention to detail. I work the account to get it completed. This meets the other one they have set - one call resolution.

The most enjoyable part of my job is my patient interaction and when I can resovle the most complex account issues for them.
Pros
Patient Interaction
Cons
Lack of Face to Face Patient Interaction
Its okay
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 15, 2015
Not organized but not a horrible job!! Typical desk job, in your cubicle all day but you can use the bathroom or take a quick breather if you need too. Not as restrictive as some call centers. They are generous with giving the employees free food at times!
Customer Service Representative Kalamazoo, MI
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 1, 2014
When I first started at this job in 2012, I loved my manager and how the company was working. Starting in the end of 2013, we started getting changes in procedures, and most of the representatives, took it with grace. Most of the issues started when we had new management come in trying to run a department that they had no experience in running. Most of our emails that they responded, came back saying that they would get back to us with an answer, but those answers never came. if you need a pay check, come work for Accretive health. I'm glad I finished my degree, so now I can move to something I like.
Pros
downtown, close to everything.
Cons
pay for parking, low pay, poor management
productive workplace
Customer Service Supports Administrator (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo, miApril 25, 2013
Professional atmosphere, strick policy, concern for all patients situations, issues, and complaints.
Pros
provides training
Cons
lack of communication skills

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight